May 13, 2024, 10:12:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Caylee Marie Anthony, 2, FL Missing since June 16-just reported by mother #82  (Read 343009 times)
QuietMonkey
Monkey Junky

« Reply #640 on: December 29, 2008, 09:19:59 AM »

what was the other movie she hired?  My son prolly has it, and he isnt a killer.  Im not defending the pysco pathetic one at all.  It will all go down to what the young were into hiring at the time.  In a way, it will actually make her look like a normal young person, hiring the latest dvd movies.  This wont make her look any stranger than all the young people hiring out these dvds.  It actually might go towards her defense.  Has anyone considered this?  The movies were on the charts, the defense can say all the young ones were hiring these new releases.  it makes casey look normal.  Nothing wrong with it at all. 
This is the thing, the movies she hired were newish releases, so now, the defense will portray her as an average young person.  they might even subpena all persons who hired these movies before her.  This alone is not going to convict her, it is all circumstantial evidence.  I trust LE has enough dna results to incriminate her.  But I will tell you all this right now.  Any circumstantial evidence, will not convict a 22 year old woman.  It might get her 12 months, but without actual dna evidence that she murdered caylee, she will walk after  a short probation period.  I have seen it before, I have personally been thru this before.  She will get off. 

I admit that I am concerned she might very well get off. The only hope I have is that there is such a plethora of circumstantial evidence (along with some other evidence that LE is holding onto) that there will be reasonable doubt....that's all they have to prove here in the states--not beyond any doubt, or beyond a shadow of a doubt, but beyond "reasonable" doubt. And it just isn't reasonable someone else killed Caylee, put her in Casey's trunk, and then dumped her right by her home. Possible, but not reasonable--especially given the other evidence.

It's completely unreasonable because Casey was the last person seen with Caylee. It's really not reasonable to think that she dropped her with Jesse, he killed Caylee and put her in the trunk, but somehow Casey didn't call the police or turn him in, but instead concocted an imaginary nanny. It's completely unreasonable to think that Casey would just chill with a bf after another bf iced her kid and put her in the trunk--if that had really happened Casey would have been out for blood, and either cops or Tony Lazarro with a baseball bat would have been at Jesse's door over this.

I can't see KC covering for anyone else. It makes no sense for her to cover for someone else and take the fall for it. I could see her implicating someone else if there were any kind of evidence making that possible, but I just can't believe someone else did this and she's covering for them. She can't implicate anyone else because there was no one else (I don't think), so she has to make up a story. I just can't believe she's still going to go with the nanny story, atleast that's what I last remember hearing. I wish she'd just tell what happened and spare everyone a trial, but I don't think she ever will. She's probably convinced herself she didn't do it. She's had so much time to think and add to this nanny story, who know's what she'd end up saying on the stand (if she ever gets there). Also, if these lawyers believe her nanny story, how come their "PI's" haven't found this nanny? Thought they were so close to finding Caylee, atleast 9 times?? They should be able to find this fictitious (sp) nanny by now!!!

RIP Sweet Puppy
Blaze
Scared Monkey

« Reply #641 on: December 29, 2008, 09:20:11 AM »

Good Morning Monkeys....
Hope everyone had a wonderful weekend.

TidBit about Chloroform:

I don't know the exact statistics on how long it takes to pass out from chloroform or how long it takes to recover, but here's some general guidelines. If you used enough chloroform (i.e. on a rag) and concentrated on inhaling it, you'd probably be pretty confused and then unconscious in a matter of minutes (modern inhalational anesthetics take less than a minute to act), so probably less than 15 minutes. Old anesthetics like chloroform aren't as "clean" acting, so they may take longer than modern ones. Also, you don't feel too great when you wake up -- more like nauseated, maybe vomiting, with a headache and cloudy mind. The chloroform will stay active as long as the person's breathing it. As for recovery time, you'd probably start coming out in 15 to 30 minutes, give or take a few minutes.

Other nasty side effects of chloroform (besides nausea, vomiting, irritation to skin and mucous membranes) include liver and kidney damage from metabolism of chloroform to other nasty substances. And if you breathe too much chloroform and not enough oxygen, or if your breathing slows down too much and you don't get rid of enough carbon dioxide or get enough oxygen, then you could very well die from it.
anothermonkey
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #642 on: December 29, 2008, 09:22:50 AM »

Catching up here, but you look so cute in your New Year's get-ups!!

Anything going on today? Hearings, pressers, etc?

Nothing that I know of Anothermonkey. Love your Avi, very nice! 

Thanks. This is my original av... I just haven't worn it lately because of the holidays Smile  (Hint hint to anybody reading.. I wouldn't mind fireworks or something  )

Glad to hear nothing major is going on. It seems like since Caylee's body was found, it's been pretty quiet.  I can't believe the trial may not be for several months!    I'm anxious for justice for Caylee. And I really hope her mother doesn't get off scott free for this. I want any and everybody in on this, to pay!

Denial- turning people crazy all over the world! 
stayhomemommy
Monkey Junky

« Reply #643 on: December 29, 2008, 09:24:57 AM »

Circumstantial evidence
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Circumstantial evidence is a collection of facts that, when considered together, can be used to infer a conclusion about something unknown. Circumstantial evidence is usually a theory, supported by a significant quantity of corroborating evidence. Corroboration is normally supplied by one or more expert witnesses who provide forensic evidence.

Compared to direct evidence

If a witness testifies that the defendant was seen entering a house, then screaming was heard, then the defendant was seen leaving, carrying a bloody knife, that is circumstantial evidence; if a witness testifies that the defendant was seen actually stabbing the victim, that is direct evidence.

Applications of circumstantial evidence

The two areas of importance are criminal and civil cases where direct evidence is lacking. Forensic evidence is often crucial in establishing the truth of a matter, especially when corroborated by independent tests. Expert evidence is usually needed to prove forensic conclusions.

Criminal Law

Circumstantial evidence is used in criminal courts to establish guilt or innocence through reasoning.

The distinction between direct and circumstantial evidence is important because, with the obvious exceptions (the immature, incompetent, or mentally ill), nearly all criminals are careful to not generate direct evidence[clarification needed], and try to avoid demonstrating criminal intent. Therefore, to prove the mens rea levels of "purposely" or "knowingly," the prosecution must usually resort to circumstantial evidence. The same goes for tortfeasors in tort law, if one needs to prove a high level of mens rea to obtain punitive damages.

One example of circumstantial evidence is the behavior of a person around the time of an alleged offense. If someone was charged with theft of money, and was then seen in a shopping spree purchasing expensive items, the shopping spree might be regarded as circumstantial evidence of the individual's guilt.

Forensic evidence

Other examples of circumstantial evidence are fingerprint, blood analysis or DNA analysis of the evidence found at the scene of a crime. These types of evidence may strongly point to a certain conclusion when taken into consideration with other facts, but if not directly witnessed by someone when the crime was committed, they are still considered to be circumstantial in nature. However, when proved by expert witnesses, they are usually sufficient to decide a case especially in the absence of any direct evidence. Owing to the development in forensic methods, old undecided case (or cold cases) are frequently resolved.

A popular misconception is that circumstantial evidence is less valid or less important than direct evidence. This is only partly true: direct evidence is generally considered more powerful, but successful criminal prosecutions often rely largely on circumstantial evidence, and civil charges are frequently based on circumstantial or indirect evidence. In practice, circumstantial evidence often has an advantage over direct evidence in that it is more difficult to suppress or fabricate. Eyewitness testimony is notoriously inaccurate at times, and many persons have been convicted on the basis of perjured or otherwise mistaken testimony. Good strong circumstantial evidence can be a far more reliable basis on which to make a determination of guilt. It should be noted that circumstantial evidence normally requires a witness, such as the police officer who found the evidence, or an expert who examined it, to lay the foundation for its admission. This witness, sometimes known as the sponsor or the authenticating witness, is giving direct (eye-witness) testimony, and could present credibility problems in the same way that any eye witness does.

Much of the evidence against Timothy McVeigh was circumstantial, for example. Speaking about McVeigh's trial, University of Michigan law professor Robert Precht said, "Circumstantial evidence can be, and often is much more powerful than direct evidence". [1] The recent Scott Peterson trial was based heavily on circumstantial evidence.

However, there is sometimes more than one logical conclusion inferable from the same set of circumstances. In cases where one conclusion implies a defendant's guilt and another their innocence, the 'benefit of the doubt' principle would apply. Indeed, if the circumstantial evidence suggests a possibility of innocence, the prosecution has the burden of disproving that possibility.

Civil law

Circumstantial evidence is also used in civil courts to establish or deny liability. It is usually the most common form of evidence, especially in product liability cases, and road traffic accidents for example. Forensic analysis of skid marks can frequently allow a reconstruction of the accident to be made. By measuring the length of such marks and using dynamic analysis of the car and road conditions at the time of the accident, it is usually found that drivers under-estimate the speed at which they were travelling. Forensic science and forensic engineering are both common methods used in civil cases, just as much as in criminal cases.

Other applications

History

Circumstantial evidence is not considered to be proof that something happened but it is often useful as a guide for further investigation.

An example from genealogy would be that if census records showed several people with the same surname lived at the same address, likely relationships could be inferred from age and gender.

Science

Circumstantial evidence is normally used in science only to support other forms of evidence, so that you can figure out what happened.

Social Studies

Circumstantial evidence is used in social studies to reach logical conclusions where other forms of evidence do not exist.

Good info. Thanks for the post!
stayhomemommy
Monkey Junky

« Reply #644 on: December 29, 2008, 09:27:36 AM »

what was the other movie she hired?  My son prolly has it, and he isnt a killer.  Im not defending the pysco pathetic one at all.  It will all go down to what the young were into hiring at the time.  In a way, it will actually make her look like a normal young person, hiring the latest dvd movies.  This wont make her look any stranger than all the young people hiring out these dvds.  It actually might go towards her defense.  Has anyone considered this?  The movies were on the charts, the defense can say all the young ones were hiring these new releases.  it makes casey look normal.  Nothing wrong with it at all. 
This is the thing, the movies she hired were newish releases, so now, the defense will portray her as an average young person.  they might even subpena all persons who hired these movies before her.  This alone is not going to convict her, it is all circumstantial evidence.  I trust LE has enough dna results to incriminate her.  But I will tell you all this right now.  Any circumstantial evidence, will not convict a 22 year old woman.  It might get her 12 months, but without actual dna evidence that she murdered caylee, she will walk after  a short probation period.  I have seen it before, I have personally been thru this before.  She will get off. 

I admit that I am concerned she might very well get off. The only hope I have is that there is such a plethora of circumstantial evidence (along with some other evidence that LE is holding onto) that there will be reasonable doubt....that's all they have to prove here in the states--not beyond any doubt, or beyond a shadow of a doubt, but beyond "reasonable" doubt. And it just isn't reasonable someone else killed Caylee, put her in Casey's trunk, and then dumped her right by her home. Possible, but not reasonable--especially given the other evidence.

It's completely unreasonable because Casey was the last person seen with Caylee. It's really not reasonable to think that she dropped her with Jesse, he killed Caylee and put her in the trunk, but somehow Casey didn't call the police or turn him in, but instead concocted an imaginary nanny. It's completely unreasonable to think that Casey would just chill with a bf after another bf iced her kid and put her in the trunk--if that had really happened Casey would have been out for blood, and either cops or Tony Lazarro with a baseball bat would have been at Jesse's door over this.

I can't see KC covering for anyone else. It makes no sense for her to cover for someone else and take the fall for it. I could see her implicating someone else if there were any kind of evidence making that possible, but I just can't believe someone else did this and she's covering for them. She can't implicate anyone else because there was no one else (I don't think), so she has to make up a story. I just can't believe she's still going to go with the nanny story, atleast that's what I last remember hearing. I wish she'd just tell what happened and spare everyone a trial, but I don't think she ever will. She's probably convinced herself she didn't do it. She's had so much time to think and add to this nanny story, who know's what she'd end up saying on the stand (if she ever gets there). Also, if these lawyers believe her nanny story, how come their "PI's" haven't found this nanny? Thought they were so close to finding Caylee, atleast 9 times?? They should be able to find this fictitious (sp) nanny by now!!!

Well said, Quiet. And this is why I think there will be enough reasonable doubt to convict her. Unless Baez somehow gets enough of the circumstantil evidence thrown out (not sure how that works) but hopefully he won't be able to do that.
Blaze
Scared Monkey

« Reply #645 on: December 29, 2008, 09:35:40 AM »

Chloroform can be detected in blood, urine, and body tissues. However, these methods are not very reliable because chloroform is rapidly eliminated from the body, and the tests are not specific for chloroform.
Blaze
Scared Monkey

« Reply #646 on: December 29, 2008, 09:37:06 AM »

In humans, a fatal oral dose of chloroform may be as low as 10 mL (14.8 g), with death due to respiratory or cardiac arrest. (1,2)
BooMonkey
Monkey All Star Jr.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

« Reply #647 on: December 29, 2008, 09:38:18 AM »

KC has proved time and time again, it's all about her. If there was ANYBODY reasonable she could blame, you know she would. That's why she made up the nanny story, no one to refute it. I believe if they (JB and KC) are going to change their story, they are going to take the abuse role to the extreme and it's Cindy and George that are going to be feeling those wheels going over their chests. Honestly at this point what else can they use? They are going to bring up Cindy's mental and physical abuse and George/Lee sexual abuse. Don't blame poor KC, she is a victim of her environment! She was trying to save poor Caylee of the same fate as herself.

That PI story of them "watching" the kidnappers and moving 9 times is so ridiculus that I'm sure charges of obstruction will be brought against CA & GA for that story in itself. They were lying to LE and to the media in order to gain sympathy and additional monies. I would be very worried too if I were that PI firm!!! LE is going to take them ALL down. They can not, in any way, shape or form allow the public to see that this type of behavior is acceptable. Look, they already had a copy cat woman and the trial hasn't even begun yet. LE is going to bring the hammer down hard on all aspects of this case. No one is going to come out smelling like a rose if they lied to LE.

"but before I can live with other folks I've got to live with myself.  The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience." -Atticus Finch
BooMonkey
Monkey All Star Jr.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

« Reply #648 on: December 29, 2008, 09:40:37 AM »

Good Morning Monkeys....

TidBit about Chloroform:

I don't know the exact statistics on how long it takes to pass out from chloroform or how long it takes to recover, but here's some general guidelines. If you used enough chloroform (i.e. on a rag) and concentrated on inhaling it, you'd probably be pretty confused and then unconscious in a matter of minutes (modern inhalational anesthetics take less than a minute to act), so probably less than 15 minutes. Old anesthetics like chloroform aren't as "clean" acting, so they may take longer than modern ones. Also, you don't feel too great when you wake up -- more like nauseated, maybe vomiting, with a headache and cloudy mind. The chloroform will stay active as long as the person's breathing it. As for recovery time, you'd probably start coming out in 15 to 30 minutes, give or take a few minutes.

Other nasty side effects of chloroform (besides nausea, vomiting, irritation to skin and mucous membranes) include liver and kidney damage from metabolism of chloroform to other nasty substances. And if you breathe too much chloroform and not enough oxygen, or if your breathing slows down too much and you don't get rid of enough carbon dioxide or get enough oxygen, then you could very well die from it.

Let's just hope KC used this chloroform enough that it made it into Caylee's bones and that they can prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the same "mixture" in the bones is the same as the air samples in the trunk. That would nail her ass to the wall! 

"but before I can live with other folks I've got to live with myself.  The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience." -Atticus Finch
Blaze
Scared Monkey

« Reply #649 on: December 29, 2008, 09:43:13 AM »

How might I be exposed to chloroform?
1. Drinking water or beverages made using water containing chloroform.
2. Breathing indoor or outdoor air containing it, especially in the workplace.
3. Eating food that contains it.
4. Skin contact with chloroform or water that contains it, such as in swimming pools.

CasuallyCool
Monkey Junky

What a beauty!!!

« Reply #650 on: December 29, 2008, 09:43:19 AM »

Good morning monkeys. Hope all had a joyous holiday.

Do No Evil 
Blaze
Scared Monkey

« Reply #651 on: December 29, 2008, 09:44:33 AM »

Good Morning Monkeys....

TidBit about Chloroform:

Let's just hope KC used this chloroform enough that it made it into Caylee's bones and that they can prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the same "mixture" in the bones is the same as the air samples in the trunk. That would nail her ass to the wall! 

Chloroform can't be detected in bones.  They can find it in body tissue.
Monken
Monkey Junky

« Reply #652 on: December 29, 2008, 09:45:41 AM »

Okay, did anyone see where the woman suffocated her son on Christmas Eve? If Casey really was at a hotel the night of the 15th or 16th?, I wonder if she caould have killed Caylee there like this woman did? She could have chloroformed her & then when she was out, suffocated her with a pillow. She also could have done the same at the home. Did LE take any pillows? or do we know? And would chloroform still be detectable in a pillow now? Here is the article:

A Port St. Lucie mother is now sitting in a jail cell after police say she smothered her 8-year-old son to death at the Holiday Inn on Southeast Federal Highway in the early morning hours of Christmas Day.

The mother, 31-year-old Eryn Allegra, told police she gave her son eight Advil pills and smothered him after he fell asleep.  Police say she tried to kill herself by slitting her wrists, but her wounds were superficial. She was treated at St. Lucie Medical Center for cuts and then booked into St. Lucie County Jail charged with murder.

Police say she described in detail how she killed her son. The attack spanned 15 minutes.

"There's no excuse for something like this, I mean how do you .. you rent a room on Christmas Eve.  Bring pills to kill your son, and take a pillow and smother his face for 15 minutes, and when she was done she checked his pulse and breathing to make sure he was dead." said Sgt. Robert Vega, Port St. Lucie Police.

"She actually took a pillow from the hotel room, placed it over his mouth with her right hand, and took her left hand and put it behind his head and actually squished his face. She said his arms were moving, his legs were kicking. There was not a full-on struggle, but certainly he was resisting."

Allegra told police she had been having financial problems for more than a year and had contemplated suicide many times, but she did not want to leave her son behind. Neighbors say Allegra lost her home to foreclosure a year ago, and had a job locally. They saw no signs this was coming.

"I think a lot came down on her that we don't know and she didn't see a way out." said neighbor, and Tristan's friend's granmother, Elaine Spaulding, "It just makes me sad, so sad and upsetting. I can't imagine anyone doing that and I just, don't understand."

Elaine broke into tears when she found out how he died, "No child should go through that. No one."

Neighbors say family members do not have the money for a proper funeral and are trying to organize a fundraiser for Tristan.

Friends and family members say they would have taken Tristan in to avoid this. Tristan's father, Michael Allegra, is in St. Lucie County Jail serving time for a probation violation on a drug charge. He is scheduled to be released this week.

His aunt, Christine Allegra, said his family is devastated by the loss. She said relatives would plead with Allegra to get permission to spend time with the boy.

"I don't understand why Eryn did this," Christine Allegra said. "There's too many people who would've taken him."

Tristan Allegra attended Mariposa Elementary as a 3rd grader nearby his home in Port St. Lucie.

Eryn Allegra is sitting at the St. Lucie County jail now, facing first-degree murder charges.

"Things are not always what they seem; the first appearance deceives many; the intelligence of a few perceives what has been carefully hidden."
Phaedrus
Fuzzball
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #653 on: December 29, 2008, 09:49:26 AM »

Thanks for the Welcome, after looking at other photos of potential fathers this guy is there as well.

golf clubs? Polo shirt? You think if this guy were the father, or might have been, that Casey et co would have let him get away without at least taking a stab at child support from him?
Nah, I don't think it was ever about the money when it came to the bio-daddy for KC. It was about control over Cindy and keeping that ace up her sleeve. She saw how Cindy reacted to the Grund family, I don't think Cindy ever wanted to "share" Caylee. KC having that bit of information and keeping it from her drove Cindy up the wall. I know it would me. Here, Cindy is thinking her precious little slore is a virgin and come to find out she's 7 months pregnant! Then KC won't give up the baby daddy's name! I'm sure KC loved to watch Cindy squirm when her friends and family asked her about it!

I forgot to say, "Morning all!" And yes, Boo, I do think you have it nailed. The control for Cindy was worth way more than knowing who the bio dad was.

I still don't think Casey knew who the father was. I don't think she cared, either. Look at her sex life. The way most people know who the father is, is they know who they slept with and when. I don't think Casey knew. There were way too many guys it could have been.

I don't think she sat there knowing who it was and refused to tell. 

Pregnancy's not like a cell phone where the incoming call displays the sender's number and you know who it is. If you sleep with a bunch of guys in one month, and find out the next month you're pregnant, it's not like you're going to know which one's the Dad, any more than he knows. And Casey didn't care-she knew Cindy would take care of her anyway.

And I don't buy for one minute that Cindy thought Casey was still a virgin. She's a nurse. I think she is just raised to say the opposite of the truth.  Like no abuse or sexual abuse or violence ever happened in her family. George is a wonderful provider and father and they have a great marriage. Her parents never drank or treated her badly. Casey's a great mother and never neglected or abused her child. She wasn't pregnant, she was a virgin. And whoever put that body in the trunk, it could not have been Casey. If I didn't know better I'd think she had a gun to her head.

Blaze
Scared Monkey

« Reply #654 on: December 29, 2008, 09:49:33 AM »

If I were CA and believed KC...I would want a test done of me and my family to see if we were being exposed to Chloroform... It can be in drinking water, pool's, contaiminated ground water, products that you consume.  And if CA believed KC was that innosecnt wouldn't you wonder where the high levels of Chloroform was coming from?

High levels of Chloroform also causes soars and irriatation.  Not to mention cancer to the liver and kidneys.  It can also cause miscarriages...
perriwinkle
Monkey Junky Jr.

If you were a crayon, what color would you be?

« Reply #655 on: December 29, 2008, 09:50:02 AM »

A couple random thoughts as I sit reading-

- the anthony's are not requesting a 2nd autopsy.  THE DEFENE IS.  These have besome somewhat blurred as the A's seem to be working for the defense.  However, we will see that the defense may be on the A's side at trial.  The defense will do anything they can to help Casey, even if it means hurting her parents.  This is why they do not all have the same lawyer. 

- the defense will look for anything they can find in the autopsy that the LE missed.  However, unless the evidence helps the defense, we will never see it.  Therefore, the Anthony's will never get more answers from the autospy, unless it points to someone other than Casey (which they would love to hear).

-  I still say tat the origional hair found in the car with the death bands, can now be linked with the hairs found on the body in the woods.  Since that hair was found prior to being exposed to the elements and was much less decomposed at the time, they may have chemical testing from that hair that can be used to prove drugs in Caylee's system.  Now that we have a body, that particular hair is WAY more important.    Thoughts on this?

We could learn a lot from crayons...

some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, some have weird names, and all are different colors, but they all exist very nicely in the same box.
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #656 on: December 29, 2008, 09:55:14 AM »

Thanks to everyone who reminded me that bone marrow is inside bones. Brain fart moment. Still don't know why Dr. G phrased the way she did about finding out COD.

If Chloroform was used on Caylee just that one time, or a few times prior, it may not show up in hair or bone marrow. Short term Chloroform poisoning won't stay in the system long after being administered. Long term use may or may not show. If  they believe Chloroform was COD, it may not be provable.

I know we have dissected Chloroform a million times, but I wanted to add these....

This one is interesting>> Remember it was reported that pesticides were taken from the Ant's home in a search......
PAN Pesticides Database - Pesticide Poisoning Diagnostic Tool
http://www.pesticideinfo.org/Detail_Poisoning.jsp?Rec_Id=PC33630

Very informative>
Chloroform - Health Effects of Acute / Single Exposure (Human)
http://www.hpa.org.uk/web/HPAweb&HPAwebStandard/HPAweb_C/1202487059263

Division of Toxicology
Chloroform

Chloroform is a clear, colorless, volatile liquid that often comes in a solution mixed with ethanol. I've never smelled it, but apparently it has been described as having a "sweet, burning taste" and a "heavy ethereal odor" (i.e. it smells like ether, if you've ever smelled it). Ether kinda smells sweetish, but the smell gets to a lot of people after a while and you get a headache. The pungent smell is partially due to the volatile nature of the liquid (it evaporates very quickly).

Chloroform (real chemical name trichloromethane) is often used on TV by nefarious characters who want to put people to sleep. Usually they pour it onto a rag and then hold it against the victim's nose so they smell it and eventually pass out. Doctors also used to use it as an anesthetic in the olden days to put people to sleep for surgery. It is no longer used for several reasons: 1) it's toxic to the lungs and very irritating to the skin and respiratory tract lining 2) it's carcinogenic 3) we've got a lot better anesthetic agents now that are not so irritating and not carcinogenic.

You asked how chloroform works. Basically you inhale it and the gas becomes partially dissolved in your blood. That gas and blood travels to your brain and somehow that puts the little neurons to sleep. Truth is, no one really knows how modern anesthetics work -- just that they do. I think part of the anesthetic properties of chloroform have to do with the chlorine atoms in it, because all inhalational anesthetics are halogenated.

Also, here's a web page if you want more picky details on the chemical structure and its physical properties -- National Toxicology Program. I got some of this information from it. It's not too friendly in the way of layperson's language, but worth a try if you're brave. Smile
http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Academy/8097/cascadehospital/toxicology.html

General info...
Chloroform Poisoning
This liquid is much used in Europe, but less than ether in this country, as an anaesthetic, by being breathed to annul the pain of surgical operations. It is more dangerous, by far, than ether or nitrous oxide, in this mode of employment; and, of course, it should never be taken or given in this way by an unprofessional person. Symptoms of chloroform poisoning are those of stupor, from which the patient cannot be roused. This may be preceded by signs of great irritation of the stomach; as chloroform is very pungent and heating when swallowed. Treatment requires an emetic at once (see Aconite, Treatment) ; and then, as there is no chemical antidote, dashing cold water on the face and chest, and, if it can be obtained, the galvanic battery ; as a last resort, artificial respiration.
http://chestofbooks.com/health/reference/Home-Cyclopedia-Of-Health-And-Medicine/Chloroform-Poisoning.html

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
CasuallyCool
Monkey Junky

What a beauty!!!

« Reply #657 on: December 29, 2008, 09:55:19 AM »

Trying to get caught up - What's this I hear about Lee being accused of more sexual abuse and Crazy designing a missing persons poster?

Do No Evil 
no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

Zoe you will always be in my heart and soul

« Reply #658 on: December 29, 2008, 09:57:50 AM »

Good Morning and Welcome New Monkeys.... Always, that was a great post about the pool ladder, I'll bet that is what happened, somehow the scenario with the pool always returns, and that makes sense. You would have thought when Casey was being interviewed she could have come up with something a little more intelligent, then she left Caylee by the stairs, nobody would do that. So with that little bit of truth that shines through, pool ladder makes sense.
no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

Zoe you will always be in my heart and soul

« Reply #659 on: December 29, 2008, 09:59:08 AM »

Trying to get caught up - What's this I hear about Lee being accused of more sexual abuse and Crazy designing a missing persons poster?
I don't know, there was mention about a missing person's poster that she had designed, but don't know the details.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.