May 21, 2024, 04:23:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Natalee Case Discussion #802 2/21/09 - 2/25/09  (Read 214026 times)
Keepthefaith
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #220 on: February 21, 2009, 08:48:24 PM »

Would someone please post a picture of this John Silvetti?Is it one of these guys? TIA

http://forensicthoughtprints.com/aruba/default.html

I do not see Silvetti in any pic. The author of the journal (Hodges) is shown with Tim Miller. The author only mentions the Silvetti group as the owner of the Persistence.

This one?http://www.blogvandaag.nl/data/media//db_images/big/38171.jpg
Yes.

http://www.blogvandaag.nl/data/media//db_images/big/38171.jpg

I just noticed in that pic -- the Persistence is flying the Aruban flag. Is that proper for an American ship???

Great eyes Wreck!Onw would think you'd be flying the American flag?
I don't like seeing the aruba flag on the persistence, but...
It is traditionally accepted to fly the Host nation's flag while in there territorial waters.
http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeohzt4/Seaflags/customs/law.html#foreign

Foreign Flags on U.S. Ships
Courtesy Ensigns

Many countries require either as a matter law or of customary practice that foreign vessels in their territorial waters display the host country's flag.  This flag is known as a "courtesy ensign."  When a host country has a merchant ensign that differs from its national flag used ashore, it is the merchant ensign that is displayed as the courtesy ensign.

Yes it is BillB.Even then i would have peed on it before i put it up!

"A small body of determined spirits fired by an unquenchable faith in their mission can alter the course of history."

MOHANDAS GANDHI
Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #221 on: February 21, 2009, 08:50:17 PM »

It is traditionally accepted to fly the Host nation's flag while in there territorial waters.

Courtesy Ensigns

Many countries require either as a matter law or of customary practice that foreign vessels in their territorial waters display the host country's flag.  This flag is known as a "courtesy ensign."  When a host country has a merchant ensign that differs from its national flag used ashore, it is the merchant ensign that is displayed as the courtesy ensign.

Hi billb

You are correct.  When hubby takes our boat into American waters the American flag flies along with the Canadian flag.  There is not one American who see our boat does not recognize that proud Canadians are on board.

Janet

Loving Natalee - Beth Holloway
Page 219: I have to make difficult choices every day.  I have to make a conscious decision every morning when I wake up not to be bitter, not to live in resentment and let anger control me.  It's not easy.  I ask God to help me.
_____

“A person of integrity expects to be believed and when he’s not, he let’s time prove him right.” -unknown
wreck
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #222 on: February 21, 2009, 08:51:25 PM »

Would someone please post a picture of this John Silvetti?Is it one of these guys? TIA

I do not see Silvetti in any pic. The author of the journal (Hodges) is shown with Tim Miller. The author only mentions the Silvetti group as the owner of the Persistence.

Yes.

I just noticed in that pic -- the Persistence is flying the Aruban flag. Is that proper for an American ship???

Courtesy Ensigns

From that same page:
U.S. policy is that public vessels, including warships as well as civilian-manned ships belonging to the Military Sealift Command and other U.S. government vessels, enjoy sovereign immune status, that they are exempt from the jurisdiction of any other state.  Because complying with a coastal state's regulations purporting to require the display of its flag in its waters or ports could be construed as an admission that the U.S. public vessel is subject to the coastal state's jurisdiction, all U.S. public vessels are forbidden from flying courtesy ensigns.

BUCKSHOT
Monkey Junky

« Reply #223 on: February 21, 2009, 08:56:12 PM »

Yes.

Courtesy Ensigns

Yes it is BillB.Even then i would have peed on it before i put it up!

Then it could have AIRED out in Aruba's famous tradewinds...

wreck
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #224 on: February 21, 2009, 08:57:39 PM »

U.S. policy is that public vessels, including warships as well as civilian-manned ships belonging to the Military Sealift Command and other U.S. government vessels, enjoy sovereign immune status, that they are exempt from the jurisdiction of any other state.  Because complying with a coastal state's regulations purporting to require the display of its flag in its waters or ports could be construed as an admission that the U.S. public vessel is subject to the coastal state's jurisdiction, all U.S. public vessels are forbidden from flying courtesy ensigns.
[/color]

billb's daughter
Monkey Junky

No Body...No Tourism aruba! Bring Natalee Home!

« Reply #225 on: February 21, 2009, 08:59:28 PM »

Yes.

Courtesy Ensigns

From that same page:

Wreck,
At the risk of displaying my addiction once again (stackaholism  )
I noted what you just posted as part of the link I posted. I wasn't trying to be misleading; the persistence does not fall into the category of warships as well as civilian-manned ships belonging to the Military Sealift Command and other U.S. government vessels....
I would suspect that the US Flag is displayed above the aruban flag, probably higher up than the picture shows...
Still makes me mad though that persistence displayed the aruban flag...tradition be damned in this case...
billb's daughter
Monkey Junky

« Reply #226 on: February 21, 2009, 09:03:08 PM »

Sorry if I got you all off topic....carry on please...
wreck
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #227 on: February 21, 2009, 09:03:50 PM »

I respectfully disagree -- I read this as pertaining to all US public vessels.

billb's daughter
Monkey Junky

« Reply #228 on: February 21, 2009, 09:08:01 PM »

No worries....I just think persistence was following a tradition wrt flying the aruban flag, in the spirit of cooperation...mhoo
I still don't endorse it in this case.....
wreck
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #229 on: February 21, 2009, 09:11:56 PM »

No worries....I just think persistence was following a tradition wrt flying the aruban flag, in the spirit of cooperation...mhoo

Now I might be back on your side! Is the Persistence a "public vessel" or perhaps a "private vessel"? Is a cruise ship a "public vehicle" or a "private vehicle"?? 

wreck
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #230 on: February 21, 2009, 09:13:55 PM »

Now I might be back on your side! Is the Persistence a "public vessel" or perhaps a "private vessel"? Is a cruise ship a "public vehicle" or a "private vehicle"?? 
I mean't "Vessel" instead of "vehicle" 

billb's daughter
Monkey Junky

« Reply #231 on: February 21, 2009, 09:15:56 PM »

US Public vessel is owned by, or operated by, US govt...warships, coast guard, merchant marines...
I believe persistence is a "private vessel" and that's why I pulled out the link...
Magnolia
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #232 on: February 21, 2009, 09:19:21 PM »

US Public vessel is owned by, or operated by, US govt...warships, coast guard, merchant marines...
I believe persistence is a "private vessel" and that's why I pulled out the link...

The Persistence is a privately owned Research Vessel.

The will of heaven be done in this and all things.
wreck
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #233 on: February 21, 2009, 09:20:31 PM »

Well, I don't like it either!! So, US owned cruise ships fly foreign flags in each different port they go to???

wreck
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #234 on: February 21, 2009, 09:23:01 PM »

Did the SS Minnow have to fly a Gilligan flag? 

Magnolia
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #235 on: February 21, 2009, 09:24:09 PM »

Well, I don't like it either!! So, US owned cruise ships fly foreign flags in each different port they go to???

The Persistence should have flown the Skull and Crossbones.

The will of heaven be done in this and all things.
billb's daughter
Monkey Junky

« Reply #236 on: February 21, 2009, 09:27:43 PM »

I don't like it either in the persistence case under the circumstances that are emerging regarding the principles' roles in possibly denying Justice for Natalee and the return of her remains to her family.
Us owned cruise ships are considered private vessels, as they are not owned by, nor operated by US govt personnel.
wreck
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #237 on: February 21, 2009, 09:29:17 PM »

The Persistence should have flown the Skull and Crossbones.
good one! The "Jolly Roger"

always 1
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #238 on: February 21, 2009, 09:48:33 PM »

Did the SS Minnow have to fly a Gilligan flag? 

I am A1 because I am saucy!!!
Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #239 on: February 21, 2009, 10:09:02 PM »

Tamikosmom -

We(I) had better join stackaholics anonymous...

BUCKSHOT

After I have gone through the seven step program in regards to my addiction to the Natalee Holloway case ... I will then join ya.

First things first.

Janet

Loving Natalee - Beth Holloway
Page 219: I have to make difficult choices every day.  I have to make a conscious decision every morning when I wake up not to be bitter, not to live in resentment and let anger control me.  It's not easy.  I ask God to help me.
_____

“A person of integrity expects to be believed and when he’s not, he let’s time prove him right.” -unknown
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.