May 22, 2024, 07:36:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Musings on Middle Age and My First Heart Attack  (Read 8867 times)
Atlmetroguy
Monkey Junky Jr.

« on: August 18, 2007, 10:17:11 AM »

Yep...you read that right!!

Did the sports car thing..

Did smoke for 20 years..

Did eat just wrong foods my whole life..

I think I have now completed all those mid-life milestones with my first(and last!!) heart attack last Friday.

While I won't bore you with the details..suffice to say it was a small one and quite an eye opener.

I would implore each of you to have your cholesterol checked frequently, eat right - low fat, low cholesterol and low sodium diet and get 30 minutes of aerobic exercise daily..even if it is just walking briskly.

Live and Thrive people...errr...monkeys!!

<><><><><><><><><><><><>
Huh?? You mean I gotta board now??
yapperz1
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2007, 10:29:57 AM »

Metro, glad it was mild. Take care of yourself & be good to your body. We Monkeys need you to hang around for many years to come. (((((hugs)))))

I STAND WITH THE GIRL, NATALEE HOLLOWAY

ARUBA
2NJSons_Mom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2007, 10:46:19 AM »

I hear you, Atlmetroguy.  BP & cholesterol, here...taking meds since diet/exercise did not stablize either on.  Still working on the exercise..weight is not an issue, just need to move more.  AND, still smoking....I know, I know.....my younger sis had a mild heart attack in her 40's...now also has the cholesterol issue.  It runs in the family. 

I, too, am glad it was mild, and do hope that you will have good health moving forward.  It's always good to see you here and something like this makes you realize how we are not in control over what happens at any given time to ourselves or others. 

Guess your culinary routine will be a little different....(remember your descriptions of dinners you'd be cooking up) 

Enough said...I'm rambling...

R.I.P Dear 2NJ - say hi to Peaches for us!

I expect a miracle _Peaches ~ ~ May She Rest In Peace.

SOMEONE KNOWS THE TRUTH  

None of us here just fell off the turnip truck. - Magnolia
CJ1
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2007, 10:50:32 AM »

Sorry to hear that Metro, but glad you heard the wake-up call.  Good health to you.  My cholesterol is under control but I have a tougher time with my weight.  I should try harder. 
Easywriter
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2007, 10:58:28 AM »

Yep...you read that right!!

Did the sports car thing..

Did smoke for 20 years..

Did eat just wrong foods my whole life..

I think I have now completed all those mid-life milestones with my first(and last!!) heart attack last Friday.

While I won't bore you with the details..suffice to say it was a small one and quite an eye opener.

I would implore each of you to have your cholesterol checked frequently, eat right - low fat, low cholesterol and low sodium diet and get 30 minutes of aerobic exercise daily..even if it is just walking briskly.

Live and Thrive people...errr...monkeys!!

Heart Attack Survivor Here!

It only gets worse.  Slowly, the pump begins to hit on every other piston and the wheels automatically pull to the side.  Then you learn there is no spare tire.

The med’s make you sick and those you love turn away.  Certain death frightens people.
oldfart
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2007, 11:03:29 AM »

Metro
 Shocked   

Maybe you can take your own food vs eating airline food too

Just glad that you are Ok.

It is NOT over !!! If you believe good prevails and that the truth comes forward then justice will be handed out.  I want answers!
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2007, 11:16:15 AM »

I'm sorry to hear you had a heart attack Metro, but relived to see you are here posting to tell us about it.  I hope you do what you need to do to take better care of yourself.  I think many (including me) believe it will always be someone else these things happen to.  Please get well soon and keep us posted on your new nutrition and exercise plan.  You will have those, right?  Right?! {{{hugs}}}

Here's some cholesterol busters for you in meantime: 

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Tylergal
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2007, 02:11:46 PM »

Two of my siblings had heart attacks early, one in 40s and one was 39. Our mother had a heart attack in her early 50s.  Father had a good heart but his prostate was the problem.  They both lived to be 80 and my mother had a great life beyond her heart attack as have my siblings who had them early.  Brother (never smoked) now has lung cancer and seems to have gotten it early and it was not an oat cell, so he might have a few more years.  One sister seems totally healthy and has never even had so much as a cold.  I suppose she might have inherited our dad's genes.  Fortunately, she does not have a prostate.  Metro, not sure who your doctor is or where, but I hear they do fantastic work at St. Joseph.

There is always one more imbecile than you counted on
BTgirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2007, 02:21:08 PM »

Metro - I'm soooooo glad the heart attack was a mild one. I'm sure your doctors will get you back to normal soon and make you be good as new. It's wonderful too that you had already stopped smoking - one less habit to have to change now.

Take care and keep us informed of how you're doing. 

I Stand With The Girl
Angiex911dsptchr
Monkey All Star

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2007, 05:16:25 PM »

Shocked  Metro. Holy Crap.  I am sorry this happend to you.. Yikes
I am SO HAPPY you are doing fine now. 
Maybe you shouldn't be driving that fancy car of yours.. :AHEM: need a chick choffuer perhaps?  Wink

Hugs to you and Hugs to you EASY ~!!  You guys take care of yourselves. We luv yah.
Mere
Monkey Junky

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2007, 08:49:03 PM »

Metro....I was so surprised to hear about what has happened.  Thanks for the advice as it is so true.  Most people think they have to be my age to have health problems...lol...but young people need to do what they can in their 30's and 40's...to be healthy in their 50's and 60's.
Thinking of you...keep talking...we want to know how you are doing.... Very Happy

_<br />I believe in miracles...!
msmarple
Monkey Junky

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2007, 10:00:21 PM »

Ah, Metro - Youth is wasted on the young, or ... oldth sucks.

Diet, exercise, smoking, etc. - but Metro, what about stress? I've often wondered, with all the travel you do ...

But sometimes these things just happen, as others have posted. In any case, taking a little better care of yourself can't hurt.

I am so glad this was a relatively minor one (what a thing to say! Hope you understand what I mean.)

Why did they have to disappear her body?

Murder & Crime on  Aruba Summary - http://tinyurl.com/2lhukn

My usual avatar is an orchis simia (monkey orchid) plant.
justinsmama
Monkey Junky

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2007, 02:39:15 AM »

Shocked OMG, I am so glad that it was mild and you seem to be on the mend! My father was only 44 years old when he had his first (and sadly, fatal) heart attack 30 years ago this month.  Neutral

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2007, 05:24:20 AM »

Metro - I was sorry to read about your heart attack, but luckily a minor one and you can consider it a warning.
Your working life of jetting about the world waiting and stressing at airports with unhealthy airport food and a readily accessible bar or smokers lounge would certainly add to the pressures that could bring about stress which "they" say is the major cause of heart attacks.
I do hope you will heed this warning and use it to inspire you to a healthly and longer living life.
Take care my friend

....And at night the wond’rous glory of the everlasting stars..  A.B (Banjo) Paterson
2NJSons_Mom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2007, 01:34:00 PM »

Metro,

I hope you keep us posted on your recovery.  We were used to not hearing from you due to your extensive traveling, but now the silence makes me wonder.

Best wishes & prayers that your life changes improve your health.

R.I.P Dear 2NJ - say hi to Peaches for us!

I expect a miracle _Peaches ~ ~ May She Rest In Peace.

SOMEONE KNOWS THE TRUTH  

None of us here just fell off the turnip truck. - Magnolia
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2007, 02:20:22 PM »

Metro I'm so relieved you are okay 

I remember my father's cardiologist asking him to not do so much air travel for it is hard on your heart - please try to listen, I am taking that into consideration currently with my own employment, ok?

I continue to stand with the girl.
Peaches
Monkey Junky

~WE LOVE YOU PEACHES~

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2007, 07:23:58 PM »

Metro, thank God you are here to tell the tale!  Clean up your act!  Getting old is not for weinies. 

And if you're reading this and over 50, please go have a colonoscopy.  Need everyone to stay on the daisy side of the dirt here.

"I bring my better angels to every fight".
Expect a miracle.
Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2007, 08:20:35 AM »

Metro,

WOW I am so sorry.  It's hard to eat healthy on the road - so many temptations so I send my very best wishes!  Glad you are still a non smoker.  I'm at over 11 mos. now.

Thanks for the reminder - and keep us posted on how you are.

Beans
Easywriter
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2007, 09:30:46 AM »

There are certain benchmarks that are important to heart attack survivors.  Pay close attention to what your body tells you over the next 4-6 months.
Kimmy53
Monkey Junky

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2007, 10:03:55 AM »

Metro - gosh!  what a shock....Thank goodness it was mild and a wake up call for you.  Thank you for telling us, you never know who you will influence to make healthy changes in their lifestyles.

Prayers for your complete recovery and healthy future!  (((hugs)))

~Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising up everytime we fail~
Pages: 1 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.