May 22, 2024, 09:46:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Police nab suspect in anchorwoman Anne Pressly's death (CONVICTED)  (Read 33694 times)
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #60 on: November 12, 2009, 04:05:13 PM »

http://www.jacksonsun.com/article/20091112/NEWS01/91112017/Doctor++Man+convicted+in+TV+anchor+death+paranoid
Doctor: Man convicted in TV anchor death paranoid

By CHUCK BARTELS
Associated Press Writer
• November 12, 2009
<snipped>
Vance, who had exhibited confidence at the start of his trial, appeared markedly downcast today.

At one point during a 15-minute meeting that the judge and lawyers held at the bench, Vance looked to his left and took a long look at the courtroom door. After a few seconds, he looked straight ahead, sighed and looked downward.

Prosecution witnesses said DNA evidence linked Vance to Pressly’s death and to a separate rape case in which he has pleaded not guilty. The defense has said police duped Vance into confessing and giving officers a DNA sample to compare with evidence in the case.

During the penalty phase that began Wednesday, Pressly’s mother, Patti Cannady, said that after the death of her only child she ripped up many family photos because she didn’t have anyone to give them to.   

‘‘Oh, Lord Jesus, how I wish it were me and not Anne,’’ Cannady said.

A lawyer for the state Department of Human Services read from agency documents that revealed a troubled youth for Vance. One of Vance’s aunts also testified that Vance’s mother had been addicted to crack and lived for a time in a Memphis, Tenn., homeless shelter after asking her mother to raise her children.

As Vance left the courthouse, family members shouted ‘‘Love ya, Lavelle!’’ and he said ‘‘Love you!’’

Then he shouted, ‘‘It’s a corrupted system!’’

~241~ "The Longer You Love,The Longer You Live,The Stronger You Feel,The More You Can Give."
~ Peter Frampton
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #61 on: November 13, 2009, 07:31:46 AM »

http://www.myfoxatlanta.com/dpp/news/dpg_Slain_Anchorwoman_Mother_fc_200911131258113445871
Victim's Mother Reacts After Jury Chooses Life Sentence

Updated: Friday, 13 Nov 2009, 6:57 AM EST
Published : Friday, 13 Nov 2009, 6:56 AM EST

By The Associated Press
LITTLE ROCK, Ark. - An Arkansas man will spend the rest of his life behind bars for the beating death last year of a Little Rock TV anchor.

Jurors deliberated less than three hours before recommending that 29-year-old Curtis Vance be sentenced to life in prison without parole for the murder of Anne Pressly.

The jury spared Vance the death penalty after hearing testimony about his rocky upbringing by an abusive, drug-addicted mother.

After the verdict was read, Pressly's mother Patti Cannady mouthed "It's OK" to prosecutor Larry Jegley, nodded, and tucked her hands over her heart. But as she left the courtroom, Cannady leaned toward the defense attorneys and said, "You protected someone who should have never been protected."

Defense lawyer Katherine Streett had urged jurors to have the "courage" to not impose the death penalty.

~241~ "The Longer You Love,The Longer You Live,The Stronger You Feel,The More You Can Give."
~ Peter Frampton
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #62 on: November 16, 2009, 07:00:33 AM »

http://www.arktimes.com/blogs/arkansasblog/2009/11/more_insight_on_pressly_juror.aspx
Arkansas Blog

More insight on Pressly jury

The Times' David Koon had a lengthy interview today with a member of the jury that convicted Curtis Lavelle Vance of the capital murder of KATV's Anne Pressly, but couldn't reach a unanimous verdict on recommending the death penalty for her rape and beating death.

The juror did not wish to be identified. But the juror echoed another juror who called KARN last week and said there were three firm votes against the death penalty on the 12-person jury. They indicated no amount of deliberation would sway them.

David's notes on the interview follow:

On why juror wants to remain anonymous: "I don't want people bothering me about it....There are a lot of people upset. I don't want my name used at all"

On the personal difficulty of the trial: "It was probably one of the hardest things I have ever done in my life. I'm glad it's over."

On the deliberations as to whether Vance should be found guilty of capital murder:   "I don't think that there was anybody who really thought that he wasn't (guilty of capital murder) but they wanted to carefully go through our notes and the evidence we were given just to make sure we were making the right decision. We just took our time and really discussed it and really thought it through. It was very emotional for all of us."
On whether the more graphic testimony about Pressly's injuries was rehashed in the jury room: "There were some things that we all knew and we didn't need to bring back up. There was no point in rehashing and discussing it. Mainly the things that we discussed and went through was just the evidence we were given, especially the DNA evidence and the confessions."

On whether Vance's statement to police that he had accomplices had any bearing on deliberations: "We never talked about that, Mainly, for us, the last confession that he gave was really the one that really set everybody's mind about the whole trial. He had changed his demeanor completely during that confession, and we felt like that for once he was being partially truthful about it. That was the turning point, I think, for most everybody."

On whether testimony by Vance's family during the penalty phase had any effect on jurors minds about Vance: "I can't say about everybody else. I know that it was emotional to hear about his family and about his upbringing, but to hear from her family and her friends as well. I think that though we were all affected by all of that, we were still trying to make a smart decision about what to do. I think obviously hearing that, it's going to affect how you're going to think in some way."

On why the jury found that prosecutors hadn't proven the aggravating factors that Vance committed the crime for pecuniary gain and for the purpose of silencing a witness: "All I can say about those is [that] to mark any of those, it had to be unanimous and it wasn't."

On why the jury decided to spare Vance's life instead of giving him the death penalty: "There was no way of changing the minds of those who were against it. As a matter of fact, one juror at one point, he said: if we stay here until 5 o'clock tomorrow morning, are you going to change your mind? The answer was no. And so, we just realized that there was no point in us staying and deliberating it. It wasn't going to be unanimous, therefore we had to give a life sentence."

On how many jurors refused to impose death: "It ended up being three people."

On whether the jury broke on racial lines: "I'm not going to answer that. I don't think that should matter. Again, I don't mind telling what I did, but I think as far as everybody else, that's up to them on whether they want to share. I don't think it would be fair to pinpoint who was on each side."

~ Peter Frampton
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #63 on: November 18, 2009, 04:47:07 PM »

http://www.arktimes.com/Articles/ArticleViewer.aspx?ArticleID=158c42e9-dfc9-44bc-afbd-37cf1dc901bc
 Life and death
Two jurors in Pressly murder case discuss verdict, sentence.
 David Koon
Updated: 11/19/2009
Not many were shocked when Curtis Lavelle Vance was found guilty last week of capital murder, rape, residential burglary and theft of property in the October 2008 beating death of KATV anchor Anne Pressly.

In addition to presenting testimony about Pressly's severe injuries, prosecutors had been hammering home hard evidence for over a week by then: a hair found at the scene that was Vance's to the certainty of one in quintillions; DNA evidence recovered from Pressly's body that showed her rape had to have been committed by someone in Vance's paternal line; Vance's own videotaped confession, in which he admitted he'd committed “a sick crime” by bludgeoning Pressly to death.

When the jury came back with Vance's sentence, however, it was a different story. Though the spectators in the gallery followed Judge Chris Piazza's instructions and remained, for the most part, silent when the sentence of life in prison without parole was read, it was surely a shock to many. After all, the judge had just read a form signed by jurors saying that they had unanimously agreed that the prosecution's aggravating factors — their case that the murder rose to the level of justifying the death penalty because of its cruelty and because he had committed a prior felony of force or violence in raping a teacher in Marianna in 2008  — outweighed the mitigating factors put on by the defense. The defense spent a day and a half during the penalty phase charting Vance's life from the cradle to the courtroom, including gripping testimony on Vance's abused childhood at the hands of his crack-addicted mother and a tearful plea from his wife that the jury spare her three children's father.

The idea that the prosecution could succeed in making the case for death to a jury that would then refuse to impose that sentence was confusing enough that after the trial, I tracked down Pulaski County Prosecutor Larry Jegley and double checked that was true before filing a report with the Arkansas Times blog. Yes, he said, that was the jury's province.
The day after the Vance verdict, the Times spoke with Jegley again. Asked how he felt about the verdict, Jegley said that he respects the jury's decision, and was “just fine” with it because Pressly's family and friends seem satisfied with the outcome.

“The main thing I care about is how the family and friends feel, and they're good,” Jegley said. “I talked to Guy and Patti [Cannady, Anne Pressly's stepfather and mother] this morning.”

Jegley understands the confusion over the idea that a jury could find that a crime justified death and yet not be able to impose death. He said that Vance “left the skin of his teeth on the courtroom floor” in avoiding death, but reminded that the death sentence is not automatic. In order to impose the death penalty, each and every juror must agree in writing that the crime warrants death. Some jury members just can't do that, Jegley said.

“Just because you find that the aggravators outweigh the mitigators, you're still not there,” he said. “You've still got to pull the trigger.”

In the Vance trial, the jury was made up of six white men, four black women, and two white women. Since the verdict, the Arkansas Times has talked to two jurors in the case, who spoke on the condition that identifying information be withheld. We'll call them Jurors A and B.

Both Jurors A and B agreed that the case against Vance was strong, and said that the deliberations on whether he should be found guilty of capital murder were nowhere near as tense as those during the sentencing phase. It took the jury barely two hours to convict and one juror said the essential decision was reached much sooner, but the group wanted to take care to be deliberate.
Both said that there were three firm holdouts against death. While Juror A did not want to talk about the race or gender of the jurors who favored life in prison without parole, Juror B said that the three were black women. We've been unable to reach other members of the jury.

Vance's defense attorney had made a point early in the trial of saying race should not be an issue in the case, though Vance is black and Pressly white. Inevitably, though, race entered spectators' speculation on jury selection and the jury's ultimate decisions. From the jurors we interviewed, however, a maternal instinct may have had more impact on the decision against death than race.

Juror A said that testimony by Vance's family and Pressly's family during the penalty phase had an effect. “I know that it was emotional to hear about his family and his upbringing, but to hear from [Pressly's] family and her friends as well. I think that though we were all affected by all of that, we were still trying to make a smart decision about what to do.” While Juror A was for the death penalty, the juror said that there was no convincing the three holdouts to change their minds “As a matter of fact,” Juror A said, “one juror at one point, he said: if we stay here until 5 o'clock tomorrow morning, are you going to change your mind? The answer was no. And so, we just realized that there was no point in us staying and deliberating it. It wasn't going to be unanimous, therefore we had to give a life sentence.”

Like Juror A, Juror B said that the case against Vance was strong. Juror B said that while everyone on the jury was fairly convinced that Vance committed capital murder by the time they reached the jury room, they wanted to take their time and go through the evidence carefully. “To me, I didn't want to jump out in 30 minutes and say: Wow, we've got it already. We took our time and really talked about it. We made sure we understood. There's 12 people who can hear 12 different versions of things, and with some of the evidence, people understood it differently.”
When it came to the penalty phase, Juror B was not swayed by the testimony put on by the defense about Vance's possible brain trauma and his childhood. “Did he have a rough life? You bet. Did he get abused? You bet,” Juror B said. “But I think, as the prosecutor said, he made a choice to go back into that house. He admitted stealing the purse and the laptop, then he decided to go back in. He made that conscious choice.”

Deliberations grew more tense when it became clear that three female jurors wouldn't sentence Vance to death. “People were just saying, he had it rough and he didn't have a chance, and his mother didn't love him,” Juror B said. “It kept coming back up: his mother didn't love him, and can you imagine what it would do to you? I remember one lady saying that. She said that's the part that really stuck with her.”

Juror B said that another juror at one point revealed that he was for death because his life had been touched by violent crime. “One of the gentlemen had an aunt or something who had gotten killed by a guy who got out of prison early who was in for life,” Juror B said. “So he was like: You are not going to talk me out of the death penalty, because if that guy would have been dead, he would have never have killed my aunt, or something to that effect.”

Juror B speculated that possibly the “motherly instincts” of the three holdouts kicked in after hearing about Vance's hard childhood. Juror B also speculated that maybe the three women had relatives whose situation reminded them of Vance. “There's poorer areas of Little Rock,” Juror B said. “If they had a cousin and he was leading a rough life, [maybe they were] thinking, ‘What if this happened to him? Where would I stand?' ”

In the end, Juror B said the personal decision to vote to give Vance the death penalty came down to Vance's own personal decision to kill. Vance's childhood, Juror B insists, didn't make Vance commit murder.  “His mother was a piece of work, in my opinion,” Juror B said. “It sounded like she rode him pretty hard. But people get rode hard all the time. I don't like people to make excuses about, they had a tough life. So do lots of people.”

~ Peter Frampton
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #64 on: January 24, 2010, 03:07:42 PM »

http://thecabin.net/interact/opinion/columns/2010-01-04/prison-sentence-waste-food
Prison sentence is waste of food
Vance deserves worse than easy time
Posted: January 4, 2010 - 10:35am
 By J.A. Boucher

In November Curtis Vance was found guilty of the rape and murder of Anne Pressly, a popular Little Rock anchorwoman.

Mr. Vance broke into Ms. Pressly’s apartment, raped her and beat her so badly she was unrecognizable. She subsequently died from the beating. Vance was apprehended and, amid lots of ink and air time, tried and convicted. The DNA evidence found at the scene and on Ms. Pressly was key to Mr. Vance’s conviction. Mr. Vance was sentenced to life in prison without parole. It was said that he avoided the death sentence because his mother testified she abused him, and a psychiatrist testified that he was a “borderline” paranoid. So ends another sad and terrifying chapter in all our lives. Or does it?

Let’s review the bidding. Pressly lost everything she was or ever would have or be. We can only guess how terrified she must have been. The WOF (waste of food), Mr. Vance, gets life without parole. He gets fed regularly. He gets to watch his TV and listen to his iPod. He gets to “socialize” with other inmates. He gets a warm place to sleep. If he needs medical or dental attention, he gets it. If he needs or wants counseling he gets it. He can go to school and maybe even get a degree. All this at the expense of the taxpayers who were, and are, horrified at the deed he committed. Something is wrong here.
Even the most knee-jerk liberal will usually acknowledge that prisons are not rehabilitative. That idea died with the whoopee cushion. Why should a murderer like Vance reside at the expense of the taxpayer when he has taken so much from so many in a senseless, idiotic act? And what about his mother? She admitted in court that she abused a child. Has she been charged? If not, why not? Are there any more abused children at her home? Is she creating any more Curtis Vances? The law should be pursuing action against Mrs. Vance, and we should be looking at prison reform that makes the criminals pay with hard labor done in their support.

There’s lots of work to do in Arkansas — swamps that need to be cleaned, trash and weeds on roads that needs to be tended, underbrush that needs to be cleared. The inmates should grow their own food. Why do we have to feed them? If they don’t grow enough they would go hungry, I guess. That would be too bad. I don’t believe the State has the right to take a life, but I also don’t believe its right for the State to support someone like Curtis Vance. Vance can never repay what he’s taken, but he might make a start at the business end of a shovel.

It’s horrible that Pressly died. On this New Year I’ve chosen to remember her and question a prison system that sustains a murderer like Curtis Vance. I believe Vance needs to be on a chain gang for the rest of his life. My view is that a system like that would seriously discourage at least some of the violent crime in our society. Somehow, putting Curtis Vance away just isn’t enough.
The author is a Conway resident.

~ Peter Frampton
Pages: « 1 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.