May 15, 2024, 04:43:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Susan Powell, 28 yo, missing 12/6/09 West Valley City, UT 12/10/09 - 8/17/10#1  (Read 354543 times)
Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #440 on: December 22, 2009, 12:32:29 PM »

I think the police are still collecting evidence and making sure when they arrest him, it is going to stick.  The guy is acting crazier than a loon!

bananas

I sincerely hope you are right but ... I am so skeptical.

I am off.  Busy.  Busy. Busy.  EVERYBODY ... young and old ... in my family tells me they still  believes in Santa so ...

Have a good day all.

Later, Janet
9:30 AM PT

Loving Natalee - Beth Holloway
Page 219: I have to make difficult choices every day.  I have to make a conscious decision every morning when I wake up not to be bitter, not to live in resentment and let anger control me.  It's not easy.  I ask God to help me.
_____

“A person of integrity expects to be believed and when he’s not, he let’s time prove him right.” -unknown
MsVada
Monkey Junky

« Reply #441 on: December 22, 2009, 05:12:11 PM »

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/34524426#34524426

New details released in the story....looks like Daddy has some splanin' to do about all those miles on the rental car.

Maine, born and raised!
Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #442 on: December 22, 2009, 05:16:33 PM »

In my reading on the topic ... often when a wife comes to a place where ahe makes a decision to take an independent stand ... makes a decision to no longer submit ... to no longer appease neverending expectations ... a selfish/controlling/possessive husband cannot deal with it.

Could it be that Josh Powell's selfish/controlling/possessive mindset was ... if he could not have Susan ... nobody could?  This is the reason ... I do fear for the safety of his little boys if Josh is ever under the impression that his arrest for the disappearance of his wife is imminent.

Chuck Cox seems to feel confident that his grandsons are in good hands while in the care of his son-in-law.  He believes that Josh is a good father.  However ... a good father does not harm the mother of his children.  It is said that the best legacy a father can leave his children is to be good to their mother.

Janet

++++++

Susan Powell Reportedly Made Plans to Leave Husband 1 Year Ago, Feared Kidnapping
Tuesday, December 22, 2009

A year before her disappearance, Susan Powell thought about divorcing her husband and even put together a plan in case he tried to kidnap her sons or strip her of her finances, friends told The Salt Lake Tribune.

Susan Powell reportedly told her friends that she went so far as to set up her own bank account, prepare for a place to stay if she left her husband, Joshua Powell, and wrote up an informal will, the paper reported.

Her friends said Susan wanted to make sure they all knew about her plans, the paper reported.

After fasting and praying, Susan made the decision to stay in her marriage, which many friends and family say had improved over the last year, according to the paper.

Susan, 28, was last seen on Dec. 7, when her husband says he left their suburban home in West Valley City at about 12:30 a.m. to take their two boys, ages 2 and 4, camping in freezing conditions.

She was reported missing on the same day when she failed to show up for her stockbroker job and her children were not dropped off at day care.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,580882,00.html

Page 219: I have to make difficult choices every day.  I have to make a conscious decision every morning when I wake up not to be bitter, not to live in resentment and let anger control me.  It's not easy.  I ask God to help me.
_____

“A person of integrity expects to be believed and when he’s not, he let’s time prove him right.” -unknown
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #443 on: December 22, 2009, 05:40:38 PM »

A reporter on HLN said something about they have other suspects ??....but not naming them yet in hopes of ruling them out.

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

Zoe you will always be in my heart and soul

« Reply #444 on: December 22, 2009, 06:42:51 PM »

A reporter on HLN said something about they have other suspects ??....but not naming them yet in hopes of ruling them out.
I heard that. Also I'm wondering about Josh not taking a lie detector test, that really looks bad, if this is true 
darla
Monkey Junky

In Honor of my son Lt. Brandon W. Rollins LCSO.

« Reply #445 on: December 22, 2009, 07:26:04 PM »

Good Evening Monkeys and Guest!

When in the world did it start that you do not have to talk to the police if you don't want to? Geesh, just haul their butts in and don't turn them loose til you get what info you need. I have a feeling that he rented that car and went to where he left her and made sure she was well hidden. If that was my daughter I would be in his face 24/7. Someone in Susan's family needs to go before a judge and get temporary custody of her boys. Josh is crazy and no telling what he could do to those boys. Please Lord protect them.

You will never know that Faith in prayer is all you need,
until it is all you have left!
God Bless!
no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #446 on: December 22, 2009, 07:57:01 PM »

When in the world did it start that you do not have to talk to the police if you don't want to? Geesh, just haul their butts in and don't turn them loose til you get what info you need. I have a feeling that he rented that car and went to where he left her and made sure she was well hidden. If that was my daughter I would be in his face 24/7. Someone in Susan's family needs to go before a judge and get temporary custody of her boys. Josh is crazy and no telling what he could do to those boys. Please Lord protect them.

I keep saying that, just like in the Nancy Cooper case, her parents did just that. I'm really afraid what this creep is going to do next.
no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #447 on: December 22, 2009, 08:09:35 PM »

Several of Susan's friends, who wished to remain anonymous, confirmed to the Deseret News that they had turned over e-mails to police that Susan sent them in June and July of 2008, the point at which all friends agreed the Powells' marriage was at its worst.
One of the friends confirmed that in one of the e-mails, Susan was afraid Josh Powell may kidnap her two boys, divorce her or worse.
That friend said Susan talked to her one day about something she had written and left in her desk at work.
"She had mentioned about writing something so that no one would ever think she committed suicide. She said it would be so her boys would know that she would never kill herself because she would never leave her boys alone," the friend said.
"I didn't really know the context in which she was talking. I didn't even know what to say to that."
The friend said that was the only time Susan brought up that topic.
West Valley police declined Tuesday to talk about any potential evidence in the case. Other friends had reported earlier that a notebook Susan kept in her desk at work at Wells Fargo was among the items seized by police.
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #448 on: December 22, 2009, 08:35:03 PM »

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=9114913

FBI profiler says things just aren't adding up in Powell case
December 22, 2009

WEST VALLEY CITY -- Police say the husband of missing woman Susan Powell put several hundred miles on a rental car in a 24-hour time period.

Josh Powell rented that car the night his wife was reported missing. Police say he had the rental car for about 24 hours while investigators were processing his van.

Josh Powell attends a vigil for his missing wife in Washington state on Sunday.

During that time, investigators say Josh Powell put several hundred miles on it, but they don't know where he went or what he was doing during that time.

"There is no GPS tracking on the vehicle to indicate where that vehicle may have gone," says West Valley police Capt. Tom McLachlan.

On the Today Show Tuesday morning, former FBI profiler Clint Van Zandt said this case reminds him of two other missing women cases -- one of which is that of the wife of former police officer Drew Peterson.

Van Zandt said Josh's behavior is the opposite of what he would expect from a husband whose wife is missing, and the issue of the rental car also begs more questions.

"We know, of course, he's now the primary caretaker of two young children, but one would think most of his activities would be centered around the house or trying to help law enforcement," Van Zant said. "If that vehicle's been driven hundreds of miles, where might he have gone? And could that have anything to do with his wife's disappearance?"

The Salt Lake Tribune is reporting that Susan told some of her friends she was preparing to leave her husband. The friends, who were not named, said she set up a separate bank account and wrote a will. West Valley police could not confirm those reports.

Investigators have talked to Josh three times since his wife disappeared; he has since stopped talking to them on the advice of his attorney. Police said that keeps them from verifying his initial story that he took his two boys camping.

Meanwhile, McLachlan says he is feeling heat from the community to make an arrest.

"The pressure is to conduct the investigation of this missing person in a legal fashion where we can get a resolution that will stand up in any court," he said.

McLachaln said investigators are awaiting results from the crime lab and say some tests take precise methods that can't be rushed.

Susan Powell was last seen on Dec. 7, when Josh Powell said he left their suburban home in West Valley City about 12:30 a.m. to take their two boys, ages 2 and 4, camping in freezing conditions. She was reported missing the same day when she failed to show up for her stockbroker job and her children were not dropped off at day care.
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #449 on: December 22, 2009, 08:38:06 PM »

http://www.abc4.com/content/news/top%20stories/story/Friends-say-Susan-Powell-was-preparing-for/6ycFDFkrykGPjeoBZ7M3RQ.cspx

Friends say Susan Powell was preparing for possible divorce

Reported by: Christiana Brady
Last Update: 5:56 pm

As eyebrows continue to raise at Josh Powell's recent actions, several people are now wondering what went on behind closed doors of the Powell residence.

Powell family friend, Tim Petersen, told us that if goals set by Susan and Josh's marital counselor weren't met, then Susan was planning a divorce by the year's end.

Petersen says he himself, and several of Susan’s other friends encouraged her to leave Josh.  He says Susan was the one who brought Josh to marital counseling where they set goals.  Petersen says, “By the end of the year, he needed to be going to church full time, and by their anniversary, he needed to have his temple recommend.”  Peteresen says Susan took those goals very seriously.  He says, “If he wasn't there, that she was going to divorce him and take the house and the kids.”

Petersen says it was Susan's biggest wish because she was such a devout church goer, that they could get their marriage back to where it was in their early years.

According to public record, Josh had filed for bankruptcy because they were $200,000,000 in debt from credit cards, student loans, furniture, and other debts.

Petersen told us today he wasn't surprised to learn about the family's debt because he knew Josh had been out of work for quite some time.

no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #450 on: December 22, 2009, 09:00:06 PM »

Is it possible to have anymore red flags to why Josh did something to his wife?  He obviously was not going to have Susan divorce him and take the kids and house.
cw618
Monkey Junky

« Reply #451 on: December 22, 2009, 09:10:24 PM »

me to i thought you could be held and questioned for at least 72hrs in most states
under the auspice of suspicion

goodmorn,goodnite, got to go, as always its been wonderful, talking with you, and most of all have a great day, and dont forget to smile
Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #452 on: December 22, 2009, 09:18:31 PM »

If Josh referred to the excursion that began at 12:30 AM and ended 18 hours later as a "camping trip" ... Charlie will refer to it as a camping trip.  Logic dictates.

Despite all the red flags ... it appears that law enforcement is given Josh Powell the benefit of the doubt.

Janet

++++++

Tuesday, December 22, 2009 at 2:13 PM
Police look into rental car in missing mom case

McLachlan has said Josh Powell has provided police with only vague information about his camping trip, but acknowledged that the 4-year-old boy confirmed the outing in an interview with police.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2010570953_aputmissingmomutah2ndldwritethru.html

_____

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #453 on: December 22, 2009, 09:21:51 PM »

Again the tail is wagging the dog.

Janet

++++++

Tuesday, December 22, 2009 at 2:13 PM
Police look into rental car in missing mom case

"We have an open, standing request to talk to him, whenever he wants to come in for an interview," McLachlan said. "At this point he's refusing to do so through his attorney."

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2010570953_aputmissingmomutah2ndldwritethru.html

_____

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #454 on: December 22, 2009, 09:33:32 PM »

Why did the red flags not dictate that there should have been surveillence on Josh Powell in the days following his wife's disappearance.  He was given a 24 hour opportunity of furthering an obstruction of the investigation.

In my opinion ... West Valley Police Capt. Tom McLachlan is either incompentent or corrupt.  I sincerely hope I am wrong on both counts and ... stuff is going on behind the scenes.

Janet

+++++

Police ask why Powell drove so far in rental car
By Pat Reavy
Deseret News
Published: Monday, Dec. 21, 2009 9:03 p.m. MST

WEST VALLEY CITY — A car rented by Josh Powell two days after his wife was reported missing was returned just 24 hours later with a lot of miles on it, according to police.

"It looks like there were several hundred miles driven," West Valley Police Capt. Tom McLachlan told the Deseret News.

Investigators do not know where the car was taken or where Josh Powell was during that 24-hour period. There was no GPS data stored in that rental car, said McLachlan, who declined Monday to say from where the vehicle was rented.

Powell reportedly rented the car after police seized his minivan — his only vehicle — to be processed for evidence in connection with the disappearance of his wife, Susan Powell. The van has since been returned to Josh Powell.

Questions surrounding the rental car are just a few of many to which West Valley police would like Josh Powell to provide detailed answers. But as of Monday, they say, he continues to be non-forthcoming and has not accepted their open invitation to return to police headquarters for another interview.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/705353130/Police-ask-why-Powell-drove-so-far-in-rental-car.html

Husband of missing mom attends Wash. vigil
Wife's side of the family also is at service; he’s a ‘person of interest’

West Valley City police Capt. Tom McLachlan said Sunday there are no restrictions on Josh Powell's movements.

"He can come and go as he pleases," McLachlan said, adding that police would still like to speak with him again.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34503052/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts/

_____

Leroy
Monkey Junky

« Reply #455 on: December 23, 2009, 08:44:29 AM »

Several of Susan's friends, who wished to remain anonymous, confirmed to the Deseret News that they had turned over e-mails to police that Susan sent them in June and July of 2008, the point at which all friends agreed the Powells' marriage was at its worst.
One of the friends confirmed that in one of the e-mails, Susan was afraid Josh Powell may kidnap her two boys, divorce her or worse.
That friend said Susan talked to her one day about something she had written and left in her desk at work.
"She had mentioned about writing something so that no one would ever think she committed suicide. She said it would be so her boys would know that she would never kill herself because she would never leave her boys alone," the friend said.
"I didn't really know the context in which she was talking. I didn't even know what to say to that."
The friend said that was the only time Susan brought up that topic.
West Valley police declined Tuesday to talk about any potential evidence in the case. Other friends had reported earlier that a notebook Susan kept in her desk at work at Wells Fargo was among the items seized by police.

Faith . . . it matters . . . it really does. ~ Sister
Leroy
Monkey Junky

« Reply #456 on: December 23, 2009, 08:49:36 AM »

'Real' Reality TV-Josh Powell, You Can`t Ever Get Away!

http://thesop.org/opinion/2009/12/23/real-reality-tvjosh-powell-you-cant-ever-get-away

Faith . . . it matters . . . it really does. ~ Sister
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #457 on: December 23, 2009, 11:53:54 AM »

Cell phone, notes could provide answers into Susan Powell disappearance

SALT LAKE CITY (ABC4 News) - A prepaid cell phone Josh Powell purchased at Walmart could provide details as to where Powell went while racking up hundreds of miles in a rental car. A note has also surfaced that was written about a year and a half ago. Susan said if she ended up dead it "wouldn't be suicide".

Tim Petersen, Powell's neighbor tells ABC 4 news that Powell came over to their house on Wednesday evening, just days after Susan disappeared and told them about a new phone he bought and asked for a ride to pick up his minivan. Petersen said, "We asked about Susan but he didn't want to talk about her. He only wanted to talk about his new clothes and phone."

West Valley City Police confirmed they are looking into phone and financial records. However, they didn't confirm exactly who's records they are reviewing. But the cell phone provider could potentially pinpoint Powell's whereabouts during that 24 hour period.

Petersen also says when Powell came to his house he had the worst case of wind burned he'd ever seen. Petersen said they were bright red and he had a bottle of lotion with him and kept applying it on his hands.

Police took Powell's van Monday night, between that night and Wednesday Powell put hundreds of miles on his rental car. Petersen thinks he may have gone back to the campground. "I just kind of speculate he went out there again and I wonder why would someone do that?"

But, if Powell did go back out there that could explain his red hands. That Monday was bitter cold, in the middle of the first wave of a major storm and the wind chills in the area were in the low teens.

Friends and family members are passing along emails and notes from Susan to police. Investigators are working hard to crack this case and are still asking anyone who may know anything in regards to Susan's disappearance to come forward.

http://www.abc4.com/content/news/state/story/Cell-phone-notes-could-provide-answers-into-Susan/n8xTFRQLOkKihW2iYi34wA.cspx
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #458 on: December 23, 2009, 11:57:18 AM »

PRESS RELEASE
12/23/2009
0800 PST
Shelby@theshelbynetwork.com (email preferred)

Puyallup WA: The Cox family has issued a request that everybody who hears this message performs an act of kindness for another in Susan Cox Powel's name between now and New Year's Day. Susan is a shining example of service to others and the Cox family hopes that by doing a good deed, those receiving the acts of kindness will benefit, as well as those who are performing them.

The Cox family continues to be gratified by the acts of service being performed on their behalf, and hopes, in this small way, they will be able to bring peace and comfort to those whose lives are affected by Susan's disappearance.

If you have any information about Susan, please contact investigators at the West Valley City Police Department at 801-840-4000.

###END###

http://www.facebook.com/#/topic.php?uid=198478842187&topic=15787
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #459 on: December 23, 2009, 12:29:04 PM »

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/705353538/Mystery-haunts-Susans-friend.html

Mystery haunts Susan Powell's friend

By Lee Benson

Deseret News
Published: Tuesday, Dec. 22, 2009 10:21 p.m. MST

WEST VALLEY CITY — Kiirsi Hellewell sure never saw this one coming.

Two and a half weeks ago, on a cold but dry December Sunday, the 34-year-old mother of three walked home from church with her best friend, Susan Powell.

As Kiirsi turned toward her front door, Susan said "bye" and continued walking up the street and around the corner to her house.

She hasn't heard from Susan since.

And since later that night, neither has anyone else.

"It's like we're watching this horrible nightmare and all the time thinking, 'How can it be us? How can it be happening here?' " says Kiirsi, who has found herself thrust into the eye of the "Where is Susan Powell?" storm that is attracting national and even worldwide attention.

She and her husband, John, were — are — especially close friends of Susan Powell and her husband, Josh. They met five and a half years ago when the Powells bought a house in the same working-class neighborhood on the west side of the Salt Lake Valley just eight months after the Hellewells moved in.

"Something just clicked," says Kiirsi. "We got very close."

Both the media and the police have sought out the Hellewells in an attempt to learn more about the Powells — Susan because she's missing and can't respond and Josh because he isn't missing but won't respond.

Kiirsi is doing all she can think of to find her best friend. She organized a Facebook page (Friends and Family of Susan Powell) as a clearinghouse for information, comments and encouragement that has expanded to 9,000 members. She is dispersing "Missing" fliers from her front room to anyone and everyone who will take a handful or a boxful.

And out in the driveway, the family van is all gassed up, ready to search — if only some clue would arrive that would tell them where to start.

"It is so frustrating," she sighs. "We want to look, but we don't know where."

Equally frustrating is the enigma that is Josh Powell. In the days after Susan disappeared, right up until he took his two sons to Washington to elude the media and police and be with family over the holidays, Susan's husband took regular refuge in Kiirsi's front room, alternating between sobbing and setting up a Web site to help in the investigation.

He never finished either one.

"I just so wanted to ask him so many questions," says Kiirsi. "But I didn't know how."

She knows Susan and Josh had their problems. She knows they had to take out bankruptcy two years ago. She knows they were going through counseling. She knows Josh stopped going to church and Susan kept going. She knows intimate details about such things because she and Susan "talked and talked and talked."

She also knows Josh Powell's story about leaving on a camping trip after midnight with their two young sons the weekend Susan went missing makes about as much sense as O.J. chipping golf balls in the dark in his front yard the night Nicole was killed.

"She (Susan) would not have signed off on that (midnight camping trip)," says Kiirsi. "She would never have allowed her kids to go. I know that."

But it's what she doesn't know that haunts her day and night.

She doesn't know where Susan is.

"My poor kids," says Susan Powell's best friend, looking around her front room that is devoid of Christmas decorations, "they don't even know it's Christmas. I know, Susan's dad has asked us to not forget that it's Christmas. But all I want for Christmas is to have her back."
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.