May 15, 2024, 01:38:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Caylee Marie Anthony #162 5/10/10 - 5/22/10  (Read 343716 times)
SunnyinTX
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #640 on: May 11, 2010, 11:27:41 AM »

Ah that is RICH...............to say that the $200,000 is not sufficient to pay Baez was a slam dunk.

ASHTON ROCKS !!!

Rest in Peace Caylee
Natalee, We will never forget.
Zahra, run with the Angels

PUT ON YOUR BIG GIRL PANTIES AND GET OVER IT!  It's not about you or me.....It's about the Missing and the Murdered
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #641 on: May 11, 2010, 11:27:45 AM »

Oh Goody, Bobo said more motions to be filed in the next few days.  There goes more trees. Those students have been kept very busy. 
BooMonkey
Monkey All Star Jr.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

« Reply #642 on: May 11, 2010, 11:27:54 AM »

I looove JP's "BAD HABITS" 

"but before I can live with other folks I've got to live with myself.  The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience." -Atticus Finch
KittyMom
Monkey All Star Jr.

Borgman

« Reply #643 on: May 11, 2010, 11:28:55 AM »

I loved his comment concerning Roy Kronk and irony in the previous motion.   

These are my opinions and subject to change.
Cappuccino
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #644 on: May 11, 2010, 11:29:09 AM »

And "THE BOSS" ends it with a warning....court is now in recess, now go home and cry in your cheerios.

Brandi
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #645 on: May 11, 2010, 11:29:16 AM »

I did NOT see Casey acknowledge her mother at all as she exited.

Sassycat
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #646 on: May 11, 2010, 11:29:17 AM »

Oh Goody, Bobo said more motions to be filed in the next few days.  There goes more trees. Those students have been kept very busy. 

More tax payers money wasted.
Missiontoconvict
Monkey All Star Jr.

Seeking Justice for Caylee

« Reply #647 on: May 11, 2010, 11:29:48 AM »

Denied bad faith motion   

Casey you are NOT the boss....meet Judge Perry who IS the boss   

On July 5th, 2011 Caylee Anthony was denied Justice, her murderer was set free.
akmom
Monkey Junky

« Reply #648 on: May 11, 2010, 11:30:08 AM »

No, no, no,  you can hug that &*(*P%  all you want, it does not make her appear more human

I will ALWAYS stand with the girls, Natalee and Caylee, forever.
no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

Zoe you will always be in my heart and soul

« Reply #649 on: May 11, 2010, 11:30:40 AM »

She did her duty yesterday.
O4Bull
Monkey Junky

Boycott ALL the Scamthonys THEY are ALL LIARS.

« Reply #650 on: May 11, 2010, 11:31:00 AM »

I am a slow monkey, I had to look again to see what I missed.      that's awesome, Klaas!
KittyMom
Monkey All Star Jr.

Borgman

« Reply #651 on: May 11, 2010, 11:31:04 AM »

Poor judge needs a neti pot. 

These are my opinions and subject to change.
Cappuccino
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #652 on: May 11, 2010, 11:31:26 AM »

Cyas in a bit, going to get my dog now as I skip to the car!   an angelic monkey Caylee justice is coming!

Blink34
Monkey Junky

« Reply #653 on: May 11, 2010, 11:32:07 AM »

OHMYGAWD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lawdy. I have tried to be on my best behavior and then that!

God forgive me, if I had to look at her caboose for 2 and a half hours
Ono
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #654 on: May 11, 2010, 11:32:08 AM »

I looove JP's "BAD HABITS" 

Me too ...   
Sassycat
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #655 on: May 11, 2010, 11:33:27 AM »

She did her duty yesterday.

Its been a long time since we've seen Lee in court.   Wonder what he's doing these days.
Ono
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #656 on: May 11, 2010, 11:33:30 AM »

Me either, but she shook hands with some of the motley crew which sat behind her.
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #657 on: May 11, 2010, 11:33:40 AM »

Wonder if Conway is going to be back talking to Vinnie on In Session?
darla
Monkey Junky

In Honor of my son Lt. Brandon W. Rollins LCSO.

« Reply #658 on: May 11, 2010, 11:34:09 AM »

Casey acknowledged Cindy when they were all in there little circle while the 10 min recess was going on. she mouth Hey, I love you .

I am not impressed with Big AL.....he stutters around like Bozo. I thought he was going to break down and cry a few times. lol

You will never know that Faith in prayer is all you need,
until it is all you have left!
God Bless!
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #659 on: May 11, 2010, 11:34:37 AM »

http://www.wftv.com/news/23514611/detail.html
Judge Says Casey Anthony Will Face Death Penalty
Posted: 6:30 am EDT May 11, 2010Updated: 11:21 am EDT May 11, 2010
ORANGE COUNTY, Fla. -- Judge Belvin Perry took just over an hour Tuesday morning to decide that Casey Anthony will have to face the death penalty, something defense argued was unfair and biased.
Casey walked into the courtroom just a minute after 9:00am wearing the same tan, buttoned-down, long-sleeve shirt she was wearing during Monday’s hearing (images  | raw video). She was all smiles as she walked to the defense table and took her seat between attorneys Jose Baez and Andrea Lyon.

The death penalty discussion started with controversy as the prosecution argued against a witness the defense wanted to call to speak, saying that the witness was not previously listed and the prosecution had little time to prepare. Judge Belvin Perry, though, overruled and allowed the witness.
Elizabeth Rapaport, a professor of law at the University of New Mexico School of Law, took the stand for the defense. Judge Perry granted her status as an expert on gender and its relationship to capital punishment.

As she testified on the subject of capital punishment and mothers, the state objected several times, each time overruled by Judge Perry. Rapaport spoke to issues dealing with women and capital punishment, their behavior and how that represented them, for instance hanging out with male strippers or partying, and said a mother who is perceived as "deviant" by a jury faces a difficult time in defending herself against criminal charges.

The prosecution then got an opportunity to cross-examine Rapaport, pushing hard to discredit her, suggesting that her qualifications don't justify her as an expert in the case. At one point, Judge Perry interrupted and forcefully reminded prosecuting attorney Jeff Ashton to give Rapaport time to respond.

At 9:45am, Rapaport stepped down from the stand.

“To not pay attention to all the press attention, all the discovery,” Lyon told Judge Perry after Rapaport stepped down. “The media talking to anyone my client dated, your honor, is just part of this case.”
Lyon is trying to make a point that the prosecution is unfairly trying to make a point out of Casey's appearance in photos and her behavior, and that it somehow could be influencing the prosecution's decision to seek the death penalty.

"We can pretend, and be polite, and talk about aggravating circumstances," Lyon argued. "But sexist attitudes still exist ... it's driving the decision to seek the death penalty."
Then the hearing turned emotional for Casey.

“No matter what people have said about her, they all say that Caylee was happy and healthy,” Lyon told the court as tears began to stream down Casey's face (images | raw video).

Casey wiped away the tears as Lyon continued and wrapped up her argument.

“We’re asking your honor to take an unusual and a brave step ... that this gender bias has something to do with them seeking death in this case,” Lyon concluded.

The prosecution was then given an opportunity to counter the defense's argument.

"[The] only support for this is Ms. Burdick’s reference yesterday, after a question from the court about a photograph, as it being a photograph of the defendant scantly clad, that is the only reference,” prosecuting attorney Jeff Ashton argued.

Ashton acknowledged that the judge has the right to deny the death penalty as an option, but argued that Casey's behavior is a relevant element to the case.
he doesn’t like that our law allows us to access the character [of the person on trial],” Ashton told the court. “To say that we are seeking the death penalty in this case solely because of her gender is not proven before this court and is patently absurd."

Then, after a brief statement from Lyon restating the defense's opinions, Judge Perry spoke.

“The court can only do that in rare instance,” Judge Perry said regarding the defense’s request to have the death penalty option tossed. “The burden of proof is on the defense, to prove that the state made the decision based upon those improper motives, i.e. gender bias.”

Citing case law, Judge Perry said it’s only in rare instances that a judge can overturn the state’s desire to seek the death penalty.

“The fact that the defense has not met their burden in this case, the motion to preclude the death penalty for the impermissible gender bias, it will be denied. We’ll take a 10 minutes recess,” Judge Perry said.

After returning from the brief recess, Judge Perry spent little time hearing arguments before citing previous cases supporting his decision to deny two motions the defense filed seeking to have a statute dealing with Florida's death penalty ruled unconstitutional.

"The motion to declare Florida Statute 921.41 unconstitutional under Ring vs. Arizona, and the motion to declare that same statute unconstitutional for adequate appellate review, will be denied based upon prior Supreme Court decisions," Perry ruled.
The arguments then began over the Motion for a Statement of Particulars Providing Notice of Aggravated Circumstances. Essentially, the defense is seeking from the prosecution a list of the aggravating factors it intends to prove in the case to support their seeking the death penalty.

"This pretensive ignorance is getting old," Ashton told Perry referring to the defense. "[Lyon] says she can't figure out what happened, what changed this case, that she can’t figure out from 14,000 pages of discovery what is different ... for her to stand before you and say she can’t figure this out is simply incredible ... should the court order us to comply we of course will."

The state of Florida intends to seek the “ultimate penalty” in this case, Judge Perry said. The judge then referenced a 2005 Florida Supreme Court decision regarding aggravating factors and agreed with the defense that there’s a due process of law argument.

“Therefore, the court will order, within 10 days of today’s date, the state will list ... the aggravating factors that it intends to prove,” Judge Perry said. “As to the issue of reciprocal discovery ... because we have, uh, the catch-all, unlimited list of, uh, none statutory mitigating factors, the court at this time will deny the request at this time of the state of Florida of a list without prejudice. Both sides, according to the law … are required to give a list of the various witnesses. Whether we like it or not, death is different, therefore, the motion will be granted.”
The judge then heard more arguments on another motion before citing two 1994 cases to support his decision.

“The state is correct. The court is bound by the 5th District Court of Appeals, therefore the court is denying the Motion for Protective Order, with respect to the penalty phase discovery given to the state of Florida,” Judge Perry said.

A discussion then began on the defense's 2nd Motion to Preclude the Death Penalty Procedures for Impermissible Prosecutorial Motives. However, before getting too far in the discussion, the state and prosecution began holding a sidebar conversation (meaning the public can't hear it) with the judge regarding specifics surrounding the motion.

On Monday, Casey's attorney Jose Baez did not want to bet on his chances that new presiding judge Belvin Perry will take the death penalty off the table.

"I'm not Las Vegas, or anything like that. I'm not a bookie, I couldn't tell you," said Baez.

Tuesday morning, Baez had to step aside because he is not qualified to try death penalty cases alone. Chicago-based attorney Andrea Lyon once again was fighting to keep Casey from serving the death penalty if she is found guilty of murdering her daughter Caylee.

"I completely and totally trust on her and her position," said Baez.
The defense's position is that Casey should not be put to death because prosecutors cannot prove she killed her daughter in a cold, calculated and premeditated manner. However, prosecutors argue Caylee Anthony's killer had to use physical force or chemicals to subdue the child, because otherwise she would have been able to remove the three pieces of duct tape found covering her nose and mouth.

The defense says, all that aside, the death penalty in Florida is flawed, but Casey's attorneys did not offer up specific reasons why.

"There are some serious problems with it. Obviously, the death penalty here doesn't work," said Baez.

Casey's defense team believes that jurors hearing death penalty cases are more likely to convict. However, to this point, there has not been any mention of specific Florida cases that would back up that notion.

~241~ "The Longer You Love,The Longer You Live,The Stronger You Feel,The More You Can Give."
~ Peter Frampton
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.