May 22, 2024, 03:25:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Project Dead Zone - Unsolved MP cases in NW Louisiana (merged)  (Read 46859 times)
Karo
Scared Monkey

« on: July 24, 2007, 09:38:10 PM »

Project Dead Zone is a quest led by “Let’s Bring Them Home” (www.letsbringthemhome.org), a national missing person’s advocacy group, to find answers about an area that has been called the “Dead Zone.”  This zone is 100 miles of the stretch between Shreveport, LA and Houston, TX.  A great number of people (“dozens of men, women and children in the past 10 years alone”) have been lost in this zone, and it is suspected that most of these people have been murdered or disappear because of serial killers.  Two serial killers—Robert Charles Brown and former truck driver James Wood—have been caught and convicted.  There are signs that there may be more serial killers in the Dead Zone  Shocked

LaDonna Meredith, PR consultant for the advocacy group, spoke with Dana Pretzer on Scared Monkeys Radio, July 23, 2007.  She reported that the purpose of Project Dead Zone is to bring together law enforcement agencies of all the counties (Texas & Arkansas) and parishes (Louisiana) included in and affected by this zone.  They hope that all the law enforcement agencies will begin to work together and work with their group by sharing information and resources.  Eventually, a Dead Zone Task Force will be formed.

The advocacy group also is trying to inform the public about the dangers in this zone.  Their campaign to increase public awareness began July 20 when they went to Shreveport to distribute flyers and put up posters.  

Anyone with information about crimes in the Dead Zone, is urged to call, toll free, 1-866-479-5284. The caller can remain completely anonymous and does not have to talk with law enforcement, according to Ms. Meredith.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 02:16:37 PM by klaasend » Logged
Karo
Scared Monkey

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 09:41:50 PM »

I and several other Monkeys have questions about the exact location of the Dead Zone.  The stretch between Shreveport and Houston is about 250 miles.  Which parishes and counties are affected?  There has been mention also of Arkansas and a missing person last seen about 25 miles east of Shreveport.  Are these locations also considered to be in the “Dead Zone”?  I emailed LaDonna Meredith this morning.  When I get a response to my questions, I will post it here.  

Mrs. Red had suggested that a thread be posted on Project Dead Zone.  See, Mrs. Red, I am listening to you Very Happy

Klaas, if I have put this in the wrong place, please move it for me.  Thanks!
mrs. red
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 11:22:11 PM »

Karo, Thanks for bringing this in here... I am looking forward to learning more... and hopefully we will be able to help them.  There are an awfully lot of monkeys around!

To accomplish great things we must not only act but also dream, not only plan but also believe.
Author: Anatole
pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2007, 01:25:26 PM »

I'd like to know what makes this area so attractive to serial killers? Is it unusually isolated and dark at night? Could something be done to lower the risk? There has to be a reason this area is so dangerous, and it seems that there could be improvements made to make it safer for travelers.

What's done in the dark will always come to light.
Karo
Scared Monkey

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2007, 03:51:52 AM »

pdh3, to answer your question, I really need to know exactly where the 100-mile stretch they are talking about is located and which roadways are included.  I have not gotten a response yet to my email.  I also called but got a recording and did not leave a number since I was going to be out, working, during daytime hours.  

The NW corner of Louisiana, bordering eastern Texas, with Arkansas only a short distance north is referred to as the “Ark-la-tex.”  There is a major highway running north-south to Shreveport as well as east-west (I-20) through Shreveport, so it is a crossroad point for many travelers.

You have to go out of the way to use Interstate to travel north in Texas from Houston, heading northwest to Dallas, which is almost a 4-hour drive, then drive 3 more hours to get from Dallas to Shreveport on I-20.  The faster route is to drive east from Houston on I-10 for more than 2 hours to the first good road to head north in Louisiana, and that road is not Interstate.  To get to the north-south Interstate, you have to drive an extra hour.

Most north-south roads that are not Interstate, through Texas and Louisiana, are for the most part isolated and dark, as you say.  There are many farms, lake areas, and small towns, which are pretty far from the next town.  I don’t think better lighting is practical and affordable.  Better patrol by law enforcement likely would be the best thing, but that would require hiring many more law enforcement people.  Most small town funds (at least in Louisiana) come from those that speed through their towns.  I fear law enforcement watches more for ways to add to their coffers than for criminal activity  Crying or Very sad
Sleeks
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2007, 02:33:01 PM »

I hate to say this, but this reminds me of the movie with Kurt Russell called Breakdown.  It was about truck driver kidnappers.  Very Creepy!!!

2 + 2 Is Always 4 !!!

Any More Questions???
pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2007, 12:38:18 AM »

I guess I was thinking of better lighting at rest areas, but it doesn't sound like there are very many in the area. It seems like a good place to avoid.
I wonder if jurisdictional issues between so many different states complicates things as well. Confused

Karo
Scared Monkey

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2007, 02:07:30 AM »

Quote from: "pdh3"
I wonder if jurisdictional issues between so many different states complicates things as well. Confused

Not just between states but also between towns and between parishes (counties)!

I called today and left 2 numbers, so hopefully I soon will have the answers I seek to questions above.
Karo
Scared Monkey

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2007, 02:09:21 AM »

Sleeks, I haven't seen that movie and don't think I want to see it  Shocked  I'll take your word for it!
pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2007, 03:22:44 PM »

Quote from: "Karo"
Quote from: "pdh3"

Not just between states but also between towns and between parishes (counties)!

I called today and left 2 numbers, so hopefully I soon will have the answers I seek to questions above.

Thanks Karo! I appreciate your hard work. This is kind of fascinating, in an awful way.

Karo
Scared Monkey

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2007, 10:49:41 PM »

Ms. Meredith and “Let’s Bring Them Home” have been extremely busy in the past weeks with their biggest event of the year.  Today Ms. Meredith put me in touch with a woman who works with Project Dead Zone, who also happens to be a new Monkey Very Happy   I am writing to ask her to contribute to this thread and I hope she does.  She sent me a link which shows the origin of the concept of a “Dead Zone” between Shreveport and Houston.  The first post was in 2002. 

“Victims have been found in such places as Bossier City, Shreveport, & Logansport Louisiana. Galveston, Texas City, Houston, and Alivin Texas. Places like Addicks Reservoir, Galveston Bay, Turners Bayou, and a place simply called the "killing-fields" off of Calder road. The "dead zone" and it's murderous history began in June of 1971…”

http://www.unsolvedmysteries.com/usm295281.html

At this point, I am thinking we can say the Dead Zone encompasses western Louisiana from the farthest point north all the way south to I-10, the southwestern corner of Arkansas, and eastern Texas from the farthest point north all the way south to the Gulf (about 50 miles south of Houston).  Let me try to mark a map for us.  I’m not nearly as good as Klaas and CBB but you can get a rough idea of the geographic areas that may be included.  I may be including too much of Texas?

carolyn
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2007, 12:01:43 PM »

I and several other Monkeys have questions about the exact location of the Dead Zone.  The stretch between Shreveport and Houston is about 250 miles.  Which parishes and counties are affected?  There has been mention also of Arkansas and a missing person last seen about 25 miles east of Shreveport.  Are these locations also considered to be in the “Dead Zone”?  I emailed LaDonna Meredith this morning.  When I get a response to my questions, I will post it here.  

Hey Everyone...the original definition was about 50 miles.  We expaned it to 100 miles...however the correct mileage is about 250 miles.  The area is defined as all parishes and counties between Houston and Shreveport.  Keep in mind that the "dead zone" is an area that was defined in 1992 and started out as a theory...however because this area now has at least three serial killers that have been caught and probobly more...our goal is simply to try and connect more of the cases to present to LE so that they may be able to solve more of the unsolved missing person's cases and homicides.  I need to mention although the area is defined as the area between Houston and Shreveport - Eric Mickelson the killer of Kristy O'Pry has admitted involvement in at least 6 homicides...however he has only named two of his victims.  LE admits he is a serial killer and they believe he is involved in cases in the midwest.  My point is that the "dead zone" is Shreveport to Houston but may reach out farther than we realize because of people like Mickelson that have been mobile and traveling outside of the defined "dead zone" area. 

I think there is a post later in this thread that posts the original "dead zone" post.

Thank you.

Clinton Nelson Missing from Princeton LA since 9/1/2006.  Send info to find-clinton@hotmail.com if you have information.
carolyn
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2007, 12:07:45 PM »

I'd like to know what makes this area so attractive to serial killers? Is it unusually isolated and dark at night? Could something be done to lower the risk? There has to be a reason this area is so dangerous, and it seems that there could be improvements made to make it safer for travelers.

I am not sure I am the right person to answer this question but I will try.  The area between Houston and Shreveport has a good road structure and is easily traveled.  However, it is also very rural in many area.  This means it is easier for these vultures to prey and dispose of the victims.  It is also easier for the people that are serial killers to get "lost" as there are a lot of people and they can blend and not be so obvious.  Also we are talking about a lot of LE agencies and because they can be territorial - LE agencies does not always talk to each other making it harder to detect a serial killer.

Clinton Nelson Missing from Princeton LA since 9/1/2006.  Send info to find-clinton@hotmail.com if you have information.
carolyn
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2007, 12:20:30 PM »

Hey Everyone...thank you for the interest in this topic.  It is a sad realization that there are so many cases of unsolved homicides and missing people in this geographic area.  Please don't get caught up as much with the geography but with the concept that many of these cases can and probably are connected.  Our goal is simply to raise awareness and if we can prove connection, we want to be able to take it to law enforcement so that some of these families can get answers about what has happened to their loved ones. 

We are looking for commonalities and links between possibly hundreds of cases in this area alone.

Thanks for your assistance.

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2007, 02:37:52 PM »

Unsolved missing persons cases
Here are some of the cases of missing persons in northwest Louisiana:

Bienville Parish
Robert Earl Davis, also known as “Mook,” 42, of Ringgold, last seen on Nov. 28, 2002, walking in the 700 block of Stateline Road five miles north of Ringgold. He has Down syndrome.

Caddo Parish
Kristi Gwen O’Pry, 36, was last seen July 19, 1996 at her sister’s house on Meriwether Road in Shreveport. She left the home around dusk to run errands with a friend who later said he dropped her off at what was then Southpark Mall and now Summer Grove Baptist Church.

April Brown, 44, was last seen at her home in Mooringsport on July 6, 2001. Family members said April left home about 9:30 p.m. with an unknown male driving an early '90s model dark-colored Chevy Cavalier. The man she accompanied was described as white, about 6 feet tall and with brown hair over his ears and long side burns.

Claiborne Parish
Rodney Capers, 36, of Homer, last seen July 14 walking near the intersection of state Highway 531 and U.S. Highway 79 in Minden. He was carrying a Bible and backpack.

Bossier City
Penelope M. Madanat, 23, of Bossier City, last seen leaving Cowboys nightclub -- now Rockin’ Rodeo -- on Oct. 26, 1991.

Darrell M. Wells, 31, of Bossier City, last seen on Dec. 25, 2001, after leaving his parents’ home in Bossier City. His pickup was found five days later in a Bossier City parking lot near the Shreveport-Barksdale Bridge.

Christopher M. Pierce, 18, last seen May 13, 2003, leaving work at the Taco Bell restaurant in the 4100 block of Barksdale Boulevard in his 1988 red Jeep pickup with Louisiana license plate W031965.

Bossier Parish
Clinton Nelson, 21, last was seen visiting friends Sept. 1 at a Princeton residence. He had moved from South Dakota to the Haughton area to stay with his father, his mother said. Nelson left behind a $2,000 paycheck and had no transportation, credit cards or financial means other than maybe a few dollars in cash.

Gregory Alonzo Vice, Jr., 23, of Princeton, last seen March 21, 2000, on state Highway 71 south of Bossier City. Detectives suspect foul play.

DeSoto Parish
Lurline Dewitt, 77, of Mansfield. Reported missing Sept. 27, 1996, after her son awoke to find her missing and a carport door open.

Syble Brumley, 76, of Mansfield. Was last seen April 28, 1997. Damage to the front door and items in disarray inside the house indicate she was taken by force.

Deshanna D. Gray, 28, also known as “DeeDee,” reported missing Nov. 22, 2000, from Logansport. Last seen getting into a truck with someone in the Japan Quarters.

Constance Anderson, 19, of South Mansfield. Reported missing Jan. 24. Last seen at her home. She left the house with her cell phone.
Natchitoches Parish

Wilson Demars, reported missing in June 1988 from Natchitoches Parish. Additional details are unavailable.

Kara Vaughn, 39, reported missing Nov. 11, 1993, from her mother’s residence in Natchitoches. Last seen in a 1978 Honda Civic with California license plates.

Michael Orsborn, 38, of Provencal. Last seen Jan. 31 about one mile from his residence. Car found in a ditch.
Red River Parish

Faye Aline Self, 26, of Coushatta, reported missing March 30, 1983. Last seen at Alice’s Wagon Wheel in Armistead. Her car was still in the parking lot the next day.

Ernest L. Franklin, 56, was last seen Dec. 25, 2003.

Patrick D. Tompkins Sr., 41, was last seen Sept. 28, 2002, at his mother’s home in 3300 block of Old Mooringsport Road in Shreveport. While there, he made statements that he “couldn’t take it anymore.” He then ran out the back of the home and fired two shots.

Webster Parish
Wilda Jean Cross, 39, of Sibley. Reported missing in March 1992 when she failed to meet her husband in Shreveport. Cross was a champion barefoot water skier.
http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?Category=NEWS03

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
carolyn
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2007, 03:46:30 PM »

This is part of the reason that Let's Bring Them Home was investigating the "Dead Zone" which is the area between Shreveport and Houston.  There are more cases than of missing and unsolved homicides. etc.  Thanks for posting it.

Carolyn

Jennifer34
Scared Monkey

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2007, 04:10:06 PM »

Wow, so many ....
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2007, 04:22:55 PM »

This is part of the reason that Let's Bring Them Home was investigating the "Dead Zone" which is the area between Shreveport and Houston.  There are more cases than of missing and unsolved homicides. etc.  Thanks for posting it.

Carolyn

You are welcome Carolyn...also notice the article says it is a listing of SOME of the missing...hard to say how many more...so sad!!

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
NYC_lover
Monkey Junky Jr.

The Mercedes GL

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2007, 04:34:45 PM »

Nut44*4 - Great work. thumleft
No idea, or it been many missings but one missing is to much!

I am glad hear this media attention from the Netherlands. ‘Recherche verdraait informatie te vaak’
Investigators in a black breach and again a bad name of the Dutch police. It smells again to Corrpution and a negative researching in missing persons cases
MumInOhio
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2007, 08:32:04 PM »

Bringing this forward for Nut44x4 and Carolyn.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.