May 21, 2024, 03:06:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Elizabeth Olten #3 11/18/09 -  (Read 580022 times)
kkazoo87
Scared Monkey

« Reply #1180 on: December 05, 2009, 11:41:27 PM »

oooh i feel slly. trying this again. maybe without the "..." in the middle? how do you mess up copy and paste?! sorry!

http://marinadedave.wordpress.com/2009/10/29/elizabeth-oltens-killer-identified/
ISpy
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1181 on: December 06, 2009, 12:11:59 AM »

Good evening, everyone!  Catching up here and just wanted to make a comment.  cw618- Thanks for the very pertinent jury info.  The Justice system needs to be revisited and revised because minors today are not the minors of 1930-1970 (or even 1980 maybe). Our society has an ever increasing number of minors killing each other and adults...and most of them *know* they will get off with a very short sentence in most states (incarceration in a mental health facility or juvenile lock-up until their 21st birthday).     Those old standards worked fairly well when society, as a whole, instructed young people in respect for authority, self-control, respect for others, obeying laws, etc.  Now our society teaches young people that they are never wrong.  Public schools teach self-esteem based curriculums, in the mistaken belief that kids who respect themselves will respect others.  Instead, it teaches them that their needs and wants are priority, it creates self-centeredness.  Many schools are changing grading systems so students don't get F's (which might hurt their self-esteem).  Then we wonder why minors are killing their classmates, their teachers, their parents, their elderly neighbors.  Oh, but don't worry, they have high self-esteem!     Our laws need to be changed in response to the problem.  I challenge anyone in the US to find a newspaper/TV station for one week, that has no  reports of a minor killing someone.  Not saying that the death penalty or life in prison will stop every teen killer, but if it was a real possibility, it would give pause to quite a few.  JMO, but I'm not buying the psychology of teen brains/emotions not being fully developed.  The real problem is their consciences, respect for authority, and self-control are not being fully developed (in most cases):
"I shot my dad 'cause he wouldn't let me play my X-Box/Playstation/Game Boy."
"I shot my mom because she spanked/disciplined me."
"I identify with a TV serial killer, so I killed my little brother."
"My buddy and I killed my elderly neighbor because we wanted her money."

I'm a firm believer in the death penalty for most cases.  To me, it's just common sense.  If you are so out-of control (drug-induced, alcohol-induced, anger-induced) that you kill someone, you're a definite threat to the rest of us.  If you're killing for the thrill of it, you're a definite threat to the rest of us.  If you have so little respect for human life that you're killing for possessions (money, shoes, bike,car, life insurance monies, child custody, etc.), you're definitely a threat to the rest of us.  Why should you get the privilege of waking up every morning, eating three meals, going to sleep at night, living and breathing...when your victim doesn't?  Killing is never an accident and doesn't "just happen".  Choice are made every step of the way.  All MOO

Rant over.   

Forecast for the Day:
God is reigning and the Son is shining.
ISpy
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1182 on: December 06, 2009, 12:13:40 AM »

Now that I've gotten myself worked up and probably some of you too (BTW-I like bananas), it's time to call it a night.  Hope you have a good evening/morning.  Take good care.

Forecast for the Day:
God is reigning and the Son is shining.
Wyks
Monkey All Star

« Reply #1183 on: December 06, 2009, 12:22:59 AM »

oooh i feel slly. trying this again. maybe without the "..." in the middle? how do you mess up copy and paste?! sorry!

http://marinadedave.wordpress.com/2009/10/29/elizabeth-oltens-killer-identified/

Hi kkazoo87, and welcome!   

Oh it's easy to mess up a link, not to worry.  I try to remember to get a link from its original source, cuz sometimes when doing copy and paste from somewhere else, links can get abbreviated and lose in the translation.   

The person you are referring to, at the above link, is it the teen who has known Alyssa since around the 6th grade?  She began posting around Nov 17th, and has made several comments since. 

~ 'Things are not always what they seem' ~
Wyks
Monkey All Star

« Reply #1184 on: December 06, 2009, 12:55:17 AM »

KarenK - thanks, sounds like beautiful kitties!  my doxie tho, he likes to think of himself as the big boss around here.  a kittie would likely set him straight on that in a new york minute.  lol 

CW - thanks for that info!  it's interesting to see how other trials have worked out in the past.  i agree with you, am thinking we're in for a longgggggg trial, that will likely be appealed many times.  hopefully she will just plead guilty and be done with it. 

Deenie - thanks!  you are looking very spiffy yourself!  lol  i agree with what you've written, and do hope that friends and loved ones on both sides of this case get needed support, even therapy if that will help.  soooooooo many affected by this, my gosh! 

ISpy - thanks for your rant!  am feeling the same way.  and sure am scared for our future, for the future of our loved ones.  seems the world has gone mad, and i'm not so sure that we as a society are equipped to deal with it.  not to mention everywhere we look there are budget cuts that seem to render our society even more powerless in the face of raging and murderous teens/adults.   

Wyks
Monkey All Star

« Reply #1185 on: December 06, 2009, 07:54:07 PM »

Not much going on with this case.  Seems once the perp is behind bars, then there is a lull for a bit. 

Am thinking that the next court hearing for Alyssa is tomorrow? 

Wyks
Monkey All Star

« Reply #1186 on: December 06, 2009, 07:56:16 PM »

Rest in Peace, Elizabeth.

Louisiana5487
Scared Monkey

« Reply #1187 on: December 07, 2009, 02:20:44 AM »

Alyssa looks as though she weighs a little bit less then 130? I am about 5'5, 125 lbs and am a lot heavier looking then the pictures of Alyssa (I know people's body types are different) ...must of had a LOT of bad adrenaline to do what she did.

Rest in Peace, Eve Marie Carson
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1188 on: December 07, 2009, 11:17:32 AM »

Not much going on with this case.  Seems once the perp is behind bars, then there is a lull for a bit. 

Dec 8th, 10:30 am.  Lets hope now that she has a lawyer there will be some video in the court room.
arrivaderci
Scared Monkey

« Reply #1189 on: December 07, 2009, 08:10:52 PM »

Is anyone besides me dissapointed in Nancy Grace lately..For the past week all she has covered is the Tiger Woods case, I for one don't care, its personal between him and his wife, and meanwhile other MUCH more important news stories are being forgotten about, i just think its awful. I'd like to see updates on how Elizabeths family is doing, and Alyssa's as well since they are all in need of much support during this time
chrissy07
Scared Monkey

« Reply #1190 on: December 08, 2009, 09:24:26 AM »

Dec 8th, 10:30 am.  Lets hope now that she has a lawyer there will be some video in the court room.

Read more: Local, Crime, Special Section, Alyssa Bustamante, Elizabeth Olten

COLE COUNTY, MO -- The 15-year-old Cole County girl charged with murder in the death of Elizabeth Olten heads to court today, but the proceedings will be different.

For the first time since the legal proceedings began, KRCG”s video camera will be allowed in the courtroom when Alyssa Bustamante enters a new plea before Cole County Judge Pat Joyce.
The high school sophomore will stand trial as an adult and is now represented by a public defender.

Cole County Prosecutor Mark Richardson has charged Bustamante with first-degree murder and armed criminal in the strangulation and stabbing death of her 9-year-old neighbor, Elizabeth Olten.

There is no need for temples, no need for complicated philosophies.   My brain and my heart are my temples;my philosophy is kindness.  - Dalai Lama
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1191 on: December 08, 2009, 11:55:16 AM »

Bustamante In Court Tuesday

JEFFERSON CITY - The teenage girl charged in the death of 9-year-old Elizabeth Olten will be arraigned in the Cole County Courthouse Tuesday morning.

Cameras will be allowed in the courtroom for the first where the arraignment will take place for Alyssa Bustamante. The arraignment was originally delayed in November until she could get a defense attorney.

The 10:30 am hearing is not expected to take long.

Bustamante is accused of killing Olten by strangling, stabbing and cutting the girl's throat in October. You can read the teenager's indictment by clicking on the link to the left of this article. You can also find all of the court documents on a web site started by the Cole County Prosecutor's office.

http://www.komu.com/satellite/SatelliteRender/KOMU.com/ba8a4513-c0a8-2f11-0063-9bd94c70b769/6df84cb0-80ce-0971-0160-ce41203b2ed9
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1192 on: December 08, 2009, 11:56:02 AM »

Hearing scheduled for Mo. teen murder suspect

Associated Press - December 8, 2009 5:14 AM ET

JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. (AP) - A 15-year-old Missouri girl charged with killing a neighbor child was due in court Tuesday to enter a plea.

Alyssa Bustamante is charged with first-degree murder in the killing of 9-year-old Elizabeth Olten on Oct. 21. Both girls lived in the town of St. Martins, just west of Jefferson City.

Bustamante was certified last month to be tried as an adult, and a plea of not guilty was entered because she had no lawyer.

Tuesday's hearing in Cole County Circuit Court was set to allow the suspect to enter a plea with an attorney present.

http://www.koamtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=11638752
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1193 on: December 08, 2009, 11:58:06 AM »

Read more: Local, Crime, Special Section, Alyssa Bustamante, Elizabeth Olten

COLE COUNTY, MO -- The 15-year-old Cole County girl charged with murder in the death of Elizabeth Olten heads to court today, but the proceedings will be different.

For the first time since the legal proceedings began, KRCG”s video camera will be allowed in the courtroom when Alyssa Bustamante enters a new plea before Cole County Judge Pat Joyce.
The high school sophomore will stand trial as an adult and is now represented by a public defender.

Cole County Prosecutor Mark Richardson has charged Bustamante with first-degree murder and armed criminal in the strangulation and stabbing death of her 9-year-old neighbor, Elizabeth Olten.

Judge Pat Joyce is a different Judge.  What happened? 
no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

Zoe you will always be in my heart and soul

« Reply #1194 on: December 08, 2009, 12:07:40 PM »

I'm back at work. Alyssa was in the courtroom for about a minute. Wearing a green Cole Co Jail jumpsuit and full shackles. Jan King waives formal arraingment and pled not guilty. Next status hearing is Feb 16th at 9am.   From Websleuths, Jodibug was in the courtroom, and it looks like there were no surprises.
nana0567
Scared Monkey

« Reply #1195 on: December 08, 2009, 12:27:14 PM »

I'm back at work. Alyssa was in the courtroom for about a minute. Wearing a green Cole Co Jail jumpsuit and full shackles. Jan King waives formal arraingment and pled not guilty. Next status hearing is Feb 16th at 9am.   From Websleuths, Jodibug was in the courtroom, and it looks like there were no surprises.
Am I reading this right...she plead not guilty?
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1196 on: December 08, 2009, 12:29:39 PM »

Olten murder suspect pleads not guilty

COLE COUNTY, MO. -- The teenager charged with the murder of 9-year-old Elizabeth Olten waived a formal arraignment and pled not guilty in her re-arraignment this morning.

Alyssa Bustamante, 15, was handed down charges by Cole County Circuit Court Judge Pat Joyce for first degree murder of Olten by strangulation and stabbing and armed criminal action in an earlier court appearance on Nov. 18.

By waiving the formal arraignment, the indictments were not formally handed down to Bustamante again. Her lawyer just entered the plea on her behalf.

Bustamante sat silently shackled in a green jumpsuit, often looking down, during the brief court appearance.

Supporters of Elizabeth Olten were in the courtroom wearing pink, while Bustamante's legal guardian, her grandmother, was not present in the courtroom.

Bustamante was certified as an adult at a certification hearing on Nov. 18. Just a few hours later, Bustamante stood in front of a Cole County judge to be arraigned. (Read the story) Because Bustamante had no lawyer present, the judge entered a not guilty plea on her behalf. (Read the story)

A status hearing was scheduled for Dec. 7 to see if Bustamante had a lawyer. However, the status hearing was cancelled Dec. 3 and a re-arraignment was scheduled for today because Bustamante now had a public defender. (Read the story)

Highway Patrol Criminal Investigator Sgt. David Rice said at the Nov. 18 certification hearing that, during the investigation, Bustamante said she “wanted to know what it felt like.” (Read the story)

Under Missouri law, when a suspect, under 16 years of age, commits a crime, the death penalty cannot be sought; the most that the suspect can get is life in prison without parole.

While Bustamante’s case was still in juvenile court, Cole County Circuit Judge Jon Beetem was overseeing the case, Juvenile Court Lawyer Samantha Green was the prosecutor and Kurt Valentine was Bustamante’s lawyer.

Bustamante is now represented by a public defender . The prosecuting attorney, now, on the case is Cole County Prosecutor Mark Richardson.

Bustamante has a status hearing scheduled for February.

http://www.connectmidmissouri.com/news/story.aspx?id=387428
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1197 on: December 08, 2009, 12:31:18 PM »

Mo. teen pleads not guilty to killing neighbor, 9

JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. — A 15-year-old Missouri girl has pleaded not guilty in the stabbing, cutting and strangling of a neighbor girl.

An attorney for Alyssa Bustamante entered a not guilty plea on her behalf Tuesday to first-degree murder and armed criminal action in the Oct. 21 killing of 9-year-old Elizabeth Olten.

Bustamante sat silently, often looking down, during a court hearing that lasted less than a minute.

MORE...

http://www.ajc.com/news/nation-world/mo-teen-pleads-not-232007.html
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1198 on: December 08, 2009, 12:34:02 PM »

BLOCKED WEBSITE
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 08:34:54 PM by MuffyBee » Logged
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1199 on: December 08, 2009, 12:35:28 PM »

Teen pleads not guilty to killing 9-year-old neighbor

http://www.kmov.com/news/local/Teen-murder-suspect-due-in-court-Tuesday-78766267.html
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.