May 04, 2024, 08:22:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Elizabeth Olten #2 10/29/09 - 11/18/09  (Read 604832 times)
no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

Zoe you will always be in my heart and soul

« Reply #1580 on: November 17, 2009, 12:29:57 PM »

I have been following this case since the day EO went missing, and have been lurking on the forums since she was found deceased. It truly is a sad outcome, and I hope the poi gets the book thrown at her.

Anyways, does anyone actually think this case will make it to jury if she is certified as an adult?
  WELCOME I don't know, I'm even thinking that a deal will be made.
jill
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1581 on: November 17, 2009, 12:32:39 PM »

I have been following this case since the day EO went missing, and have been lurking on the forums since she was found deceased. It truly is a sad outcome, and I hope the poi gets the book thrown at her.

Anyways, does anyone actually think this case will make it to jury if she is certified as an adult?

if a deal is made, at least she will be considered an adult and the info will be released.

If tried as a juvenile, we probably won't hear squat.

ALWAYS protectkidz. 
jill
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1582 on: November 17, 2009, 12:33:27 PM »

do we know what time the hearing is scheduled?

I have to have an ultrasound at 2:45 - hoping to God we get the decision before then.

ALWAYS protectkidz. 
Shinju
Scared Monkey

« Reply #1583 on: November 17, 2009, 12:37:18 PM »

if a deal is made, at least she will be considered an adult and the info will be released.

I have no idea why they aren't releasing more information. I'm pretty sure that in Missouri they can and sometimes will release the names/details of crime committed by juveniles. And if they can't does anyone know the statute of limitations on a civil suit, lol   
jill
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1584 on: November 17, 2009, 01:26:03 PM »

I have no idea why they aren't releasing more information. I'm pretty sure that in Missouri they can and sometimes will release the names/details of crime committed by juveniles. And if they can't does anyone know the statute of limitations on a civil suit, lol   

I have no idea, but I am absolutely itching to get my fingers on the court docs, warrants, arrest record, interviews, etc.

ALWAYS protectkidz. 
Shinju
Scared Monkey

« Reply #1585 on: November 17, 2009, 01:50:32 PM »

I have no idea, but I am absolutely itching to get my fingers on the court docs, warrants, arrest record, interviews, etc.

Why would you want to see the warrant/warrants and arrest record?

Just another thought, she probably hasn't been arrested yet. I know when I had to deal with the juvenile system they didn't "arrest people" they "detain" people until their hearing, if they are not allowed to go home. I'd bet everything that if she gets certified as an adult tomorrow she'll be arrested on the spot, read her rights, told what she is being charged with, etc. That is just based on my exposure with the Jefferson City Juvenile System years ago.
nana0567
Scared Monkey

« Reply #1586 on: November 17, 2009, 02:10:22 PM »

I have to have an ultrasound at 2:45 - hoping to God we get the decision before then.
I just called the Cole County Circuit Court and asked what time the hearing was scheduled for tomorrow, and was told it would be at 8:00 A.M. (If anyone is going though you may want to call the courthouse first and double check).

The number I called was (573)634-9151
jill
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1587 on: November 17, 2009, 02:39:37 PM »

I just called the Cole County Circuit Court and asked what time the hearing was scheduled for tomorrow, and was told it would be at 8:00 A.M. (If anyone is going though you may want to call the courthouse first and double check).

thank you.

are you going to be going, nana?

ALWAYS protectkidz. 
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1588 on: November 17, 2009, 02:41:52 PM »

<snipped>

That would be enCertification hearing scheduled Wednesday

Cole County's circuit court has set some extra security measures for Wednesday morning's hearing to determine whether the 15-year-old accused of killing Elizabeth Olten, 9, will be tried as an adult.

Judge Jon Beetem ruled two weeks ago the 8 a.m. hearing would be open to the public, including news reporters, but that no cameras or other recording devices will be allowed in the courtroom.

In a news release issued Monday afternoon reminding the public of the hearing, the court noted: “In addition to the normally prohibited items (such as knives, firearms and other weapons), cell phones, digital cameras, other audio and/or video recording devices, personal digital assistants and laptop computers will not be permitted to be brought into the courthouse on the 18th.”

Anyone who is stopped by the security officers because they have those devices will be told to return those items to their vehicles. The court news release noted those items “may not be left at the security screening station for later retrieval.”

The court's news release also noted only 36 seats will be available for the public's use Wednesday morning.

“Those persons who wish to view the proceedings must be present at the Monroe Street entrance to the courthouse at 7:45 a.m. on the 18th, ready to go through security screening,” the court release said. “When all of the public seats have been (filled), there will be no further admittance to the proceedings.

“Anyone who leaves during the hearing will not be readmitted.”

Olten's mother reported her missing about 6:45 p.m. Oct. 21, when the girl did not return home from a friend's home a quarter-mile away. Both homes are on LoMo Drive, also known as Route D, just south of the U.S. 50 interchange at St. Martin's.

After nearly two days of searching by law officers, firefighters and numerous volunteers, Cole County Sheriff Greg White reported last month Olten's body was found in the woods behind her home after the suspect in the case was interviewed, then led authorities to the location where the body was found.

The teen has been in the juvenile authority's custody since being detained Oct. 23.

Wednesday's hearing is to determine whether juvenile authorities can provide continuing treatment for the accused teen, if he or she is retained in the juvenile court system, or if the teen can be served better in the adult system.

If Judge Beetem determines the teen should be tried as an adult, then the Cole County prosecutor would have to file charges and a probable cause statement against the suspect for the case to be continued - the same procedures as required in all other criminal cases.

If you go

Instructions for going through the Cole County Courthouse security for Wednesday's hearing:

- Visitors will be asked to empty everything from their pockets into baskets next to the metal detector in the basement, then hand the basket to the officers at the security checkpoint.

- Visitors also are to remove all bracelets, watches, wallets, pins, pens, large earrings and necklaces and place them in a basket.

- Belts also are to be removed before going through the metal detector.

- No food, drink or aerosol cans or sprayers will be allowed past the checkpoint, and those items will be disposed of and not saved.

* As always, all purses and other carry-in items, such as briefcases, will be X-rayed.

- And the list of items never allowed in the courthouse remains the same: Knives (regardless of the blade length), scissors, firearms and chemical mace or pepper spray.

http://www.**/articles/2009/11/17/news_local/044local25oltenwednesday09.txt

BUMP
jill
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1589 on: November 17, 2009, 02:46:34 PM »

Just another thought, she probably hasn't been arrested yet. I know when I had to deal with the juvenile system they didn't "arrest people" they "detain" people until their hearing, if they are not allowed to go home. I'd bet everything that if she gets certified as an adult tomorrow she'll be arrested on the spot, read her rights, told what she is being charged with, etc. That is just based on my exposure with the Jefferson City Juvenile System years ago.

absolutely I would like to see what they were looking for, and what they found when performing the search at AB's home.

As far as an arrest record, call it a custody record/report if you'd like.  She's been a guest of the legal system for several weeks - I'd like to see what they have based that on.

If she gets certified, hopefully she will, they will issue an arrest at that time.  Maybe they will have it already prepared.

I have no idea how this is going to go, but with any luck she'll be charged as an adult and the court docs will be available to the media.

JC is keeping this close to the chest.  I would hope that it is because they would like to make sure there is justice for Elizabeth, ie. a trial for the alleged perpetrator.

ALWAYS protectkidz. 
nana0567
Scared Monkey

« Reply #1590 on: November 17, 2009, 02:46:56 PM »

thank you.

are you going to be going, nana?
No...I really wish I could but I live in Southern Oregon. I sure hope someone from here does though. I'm going to be on this forum tomorrow bright and early...
jill
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1591 on: November 17, 2009, 02:49:04 PM »

we are going to have to wait until the hearing is complete before we get any reports.

bummer.

ALWAYS protectkidz. 
Shinju
Scared Monkey

« Reply #1592 on: November 17, 2009, 03:13:58 PM »

absolutely I would like to see what they were looking for, and what they found when performing the search at AB's home.

As far as an arrest record, call it a custody record/report if you'd like.  She's been a guest of the legal system for several weeks - I'd like to see what they have based that on.

If she gets certified, hopefully she will, they will issue an arrest at that time.  Maybe they will have it already prepared.

I have no idea how this is going to go, but with any luck she'll be charged as an adult and the court docs will be available to the media.

JC is keeping this close to the chest.  I would hope that it is because they would like to make sure there is justice for Elizabeth, ie. a trial for the alleged perpetrator.

I have my own theories on why they are playing it close to the chest, and I doubt it's because they are concerned about a fair trial. I honestly think that there is no fair trial to be had in the mid-mo area. But that is my opinion.

i guess I still don't understand why you want to see the custody record/arrest record/etc. We all know what she was arrested for. Is there additional information you want off of it?
jill
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1593 on: November 17, 2009, 03:27:55 PM »

I have my own theories on why they are playing it close to the chest, and I doubt it's because they are concerned about a fair trial. I honestly think that there is no fair trial to be had in the mid-mo area. But that is my opinion.

i guess I still don't understand why you want to see the custody record/arrest record/etc. We all know what she was arrested for. Is there additional information you want off of it?

yep.  I want ALL of the info.

Not just what JC decide to spoon-feed the public.

ALWAYS protectkidz. 
Shinju
Scared Monkey

« Reply #1594 on: November 17, 2009, 03:36:20 PM »

Oh, okay, lol. I didn't know if there was some info that might be on it I didn't know about. BTW I don't know if your from JC, but I'm think (based off what I've heard people say) warrants are public record in missouri. Couldn't someone just go to the courthouse and request a copy? Sorry for my ignorance.

Just a random side note, and this is purely what I've heard from people that know AB, but I've heard that she was in therapy at pathways in JC prior to the crime. I don't know if that has already been mentioned.
KarenK
Scared Monkey

« Reply #1595 on: November 17, 2009, 03:42:34 PM »

Shinju - interesting name - considering it means suicide pact

However, why do you find it a problem that persons on this forum would like to see arrest records and warrants? Aren't they public records that we as taxpayers pay for?  Just saying.
Shinju
Scared Monkey

« Reply #1596 on: November 17, 2009, 03:53:25 PM »

However, why do you find it a problem that persons on this forum would like to see arrest records and warrants? Aren't they public records that we as taxpayers pay for?  Just saying.

I don't see any problem with it... In fact I encourage it, but I didn't understand why someone would want to see an arrest record considering everyone pretty much knows the facts of why she was arrested. I figured maybe there was information on an arrest record that I didn't know about (other than the reason for arrest). As to the warrant thing, I was offering a suggestion to that maybe someone hadn't tried to do. I wasn't trying to poke-fun or be a smart-alec or anything. It was a serious suggestion.
jill
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1597 on: November 17, 2009, 04:01:32 PM »

Oh, okay, lol. I didn't know if there was some info that might be on it I didn't know about. BTW I don't know if your from JC, but I'm think (based off what I've heard people say) warrants are public record in missouri. Couldn't someone just go to the courthouse and request a copy? Sorry for my ignorance.

Just a random side note, and this is purely what I've heard from people that know AB, but I've heard that she was in therapy at pathways in JC prior to the crime. I don't know if that has already been mentioned.

that's the point, Shinnie - can't get anything while this case is sealed in juvenile court - but hopefully after tomorrow that won't be the case.

Yes, it's been mentioned that she was in treatment. I did see one of her friends post online that Alyssa had seemed much better over the last couple of years.

ALWAYS protectkidz. 
jill
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1598 on: November 17, 2009, 04:03:10 PM »

I don't see any problem with it... In fact I encourage it, but I didn't understand why someone would want to see an arrest record considering everyone pretty much knows the facts of why she was arrested. I figured maybe there was information on an arrest record that I didn't know about (other than the reason for arrest). As to the warrant thing, I was offering a suggestion to that maybe someone hadn't tried to do. I wasn't trying to poke-fun or be a smart-alec or anything. It was a serious suggestion.

there will be small details that may or may not be important - but I'd like to see them and judge for myself.  A lot of interesting info can be gleaned from warrant docs and arrest records - such as where the other members of the family were and stuff....that kind of thing.

ALWAYS protectkidz. 
jill
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1599 on: November 17, 2009, 04:05:26 PM »

I'd like to get the evening's discussion started with the most important reason why we are here:

ALWAYS protectkidz. 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.