May 17, 2024, 11:54:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sandra Cantu #3 4/15/09 -4/27/09  (Read 447513 times)
goodnmad
Monkey All Star Jr.

Good grief! It's Charlie Brown.

« Reply #600 on: April 17, 2009, 09:41:15 AM »

Video of GMA appearance is up http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=7356264&page=1

Huckaby's Ex-Husband Says She Had Issues With 'Self-Persona'
Johnny Huckaby Talks Exclusively to 'GMA' About Accused Killer Ex-Wife
By JAY SHAYLOR and JONANN BRADY

April 17, 2009—

The ex-husband of Melissa Huckaby, the California woman accused of the assault and murder of 8-year-old Sandra Cantu, said his former wife suffered from depression and other mental health problems but he didn't believe she was capable of violence.

"I do believe the emotional issues came into play quite often in her lifetime," Johnny Huckaby told "Good Morning America's" Chris Cuomo in an exclusive interview today.

"She did suffer from depression. She did have issues with ... her self-persona, who she saw herself as," Huckaby, 26, told "GMA."

Huckaby said his former wife was prescribed medication at one point. "So I imagine at some point in time, she did see somebody for the problems," he said.

ABC News has learned that Huckaby was admitted to a local hospital in the days after Sandra's disappearance and that she'd had at least two other relationships with men she claimed abused her.

Watch the full interview today on "Good Morning America," which airs 7 a.m. to 9 a.m. ET

The couple married in August 2003, when Melissa was five months pregnant. They separated in August 2004 and divorced in September 2005. Melissa was given full custody of their daughter, now 5.

A volunteer Sunday school teacher, Melissa Huckaby was charged Tuesday with murder with the special circumstances of rape with a foreign object, lewd or lascivious conduct with a child under 14 and murder in the course of a kidnapping.

Prosecutors say Huckaby raped and murdered Sandra Cantu, a neighbor in her Tracy, Calif., trailer park, and then stuffed the girl's body into a suitcase and dropped it in an irrigation pond.

"My initial reaction was shock and complete disbelief," Johnny Huckaby said. "It's not something you want to think anyone possibly [is capable] of doing -- let alone somebody that you knew. And that's a mother of your child."

Huckaby said he holds out hope that the allegations against Melissa weren't true, particularly for his daughter's sake.

"I wouldn't wish this on anybody. Especially on the family members of the victim," he said. "But mainly for my daughter. I mean, I do not want my daughter growing up with that type of legacy to look forward to."

Despite her struggle with depression, Huckaby described his ex-wife as a generally "carefree person," not prone to violence. He added that as far as he knew, Melissa was doing well since their split.

"Well from what I understand she went to school and she got a job," he said. "She was making fairly good money. She had a pretty good life going the last I'd heard."

"I don't see this being any type of intentional situation," Huckaby said of the alleged murder.

Huckaby said he was shocked when he saw television coverage of Melissa in the courtroom during her arraignment

"The way she walked out there ... was not the person that I knew," he said. "It was, looks like she was a person in somebody else's body."

Melissa Huckaby, if convicted, could face the death penalty or life in prison without the possibility of parole. Prosecutors have said they have not decided whether they will ask for the death penalty.

Johnny Huckaby, who said he had not talked to his former wife for more than three years, is seeking custody of their daughter. He has remarried and has two other children.

He said that when they separated, Melissa Huckaby moved in with her parents in Southern California, so he rarely saw his daughter.

In 2002, Melissa Huckaby took out a restraining order against a former boyfriend. In a handwritten note obtained by ABC News, Huckaby claimed he stalked her, threatened to kill her and harm her grandfather.

A year later, she was married to Johnny Huckaby. In their divorce papers, she accused him of child abduction and domestic violence, charges he vehemently denied.

His daughter is in a safe place and doing well, Huckaby said.

"She does not have any knowledge of the situation that's going on, which is best," he said.

I remember you, Caylee.
strayze
Scared Monkey

« Reply #601 on: April 17, 2009, 10:04:51 AM »

Thanks Maven and Stacey, I just can't get over that someone would swallow razor blades  What gets me is, why would the hospital release her, after an incident like that? You would think they maybe could have done more before they released her, I don't know?

In my part of the country (MD) hospitals cannot afford to take in for long stays suicidal people.  They are stablised and released.  This is especially true for the indigent . My alcoholic niece has repeatedly attempted suicide, and quick as a wink she's in and out of the hospital.  Same for then many emergencies of physical nature caused by the underlying alcohol problem.  So she's in and out from hemorhaging esophageal varices.

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #602 on: April 17, 2009, 10:06:23 AM »

edit - forget what I said....i'm not awake yet 
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 10:10:05 AM by klaasend » Logged
cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #603 on: April 17, 2009, 10:24:41 AM »

edit - forget what I said....i'm not awake yet 

have some coffee Klaas....it helps...tee hee!

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #604 on: April 17, 2009, 10:31:34 AM »

http://www.tracypress.com/

Thousands turn out for emotional memorial
by Jennifer Wadsworth / TP staff
04.16.09 - 05:55 pm

The family of the slain Tracy girl joined 4,500 others at West High School to mourn the loss of the Jacobson Elementary School second-grader. Farmworkers on April 6 found the girl’s tiny body in a suitcase north of town, 10 days after her rape and murder. She wore the same Hello Kitty T-shirt and Hannah Montana flip-flops she had on when she went missing. Police said she was killed just hours after video footage shows her skipping past her mobile home.

“I didn’t understand it when I was a police officer,” a tearful Tracy City Councilman Steve Abercrombie said of the violence that led to Sandra’s death. “And as a father of four children, I still don’t understand it.”

Hundreds of others among the 2,700 packed in the West High gym cried with him as he spoke. Outside, where thousands watched onscreen or heard over sound piped into the football field, many more wept. Parents held their children close. Strangers cried for the little girl few met but so many will remember.

Sandra’s aunt, Angie Chavez, read a poem about her niece. In it she remembered the girl’s bright smile, her “sun-kissed hair” and the hugs she gave to her mom before bedtime.

Maria Chavez sobbed and grabbed her daughter Simone’s knee, caressing it.

Sandra’s uncle, Joe Chavez, closed his eyes, bloodshot from crying.

TV news cameras streamed footage of the emotional memorial service — the largest gathering in Tracy history — to the nation.

Sen. Barbara Boxer and California Attorney General Jerry Brown joined Abercrombie, Tracy Mayor Brent Ives, Jacobson Principal Cindy Sasser and Tracy police Chief Janet Thiessen for the afternoon service today. Thousands lined up as early as 10 a.m. from the high school to Corral Hollow Road to secure a seat.

Organizers had little idea of how many people would show up, but they planned for a huge crowd.

The story that started on March 27 as one about a missing girl 10 days later transformed into that of a grisly murder that’s gripped the nation. When police on April 10 arrested Melissa Huckaby, a 28-year-old single mom and volunteer Sunday school, the story only heightened the interest.

A day after family buried little Sandra in a pink casket during a private funeral, they stepped out again to grieve in public. Thousands from Tracy and from all over Northern California joined them.

"I think it helps the family a lot, showing how much support they have," said Nichol Meritt, 18, of Stockton.

Meritt and her friend, Elizabeth Mustain, 20, from Manteca, watched the service from the gym. Both of them had pink shirts with Sandra's picture on it. They said they were friends of the family.

Sasser, Sandra’s principal, said her students will remember the girl as a caring, playful and friendly classmate.

Sasser fought back tears when she told the audience about how Sandra taught other students how to play on the monkey bars. The spirited little girl used to hang out with disabled kids at her school. She made friends quickly and would ask Sasser and other teachers if they needed help.

Adilene Delgado, 8, went to school with Sandra. She said seeing her friend’s smiling face on the screen today made her remember the times they played together.

One time, Sandra walked up to Adilene and her friend, who wore a Hello Kitty necklace. Sandra had the same one. Thrilled by the discovery, they started talking and became good friends.

“I used to see her all the time at school,” Adilene said. “She’d play with her friends, and she’d always make new friends. When I saw her photos, I remembered how small she was and how kind.”

A slideshow of little Sandra projected photos that showed her opening birthday presents. In another, she read a Hello Kitty greeting card.

“She loved everything girly and pink,” Sasser said.

During the service, Sandra’s grandma, Dolores Chavez, clasped the printed program — a picture of the girl on the front — to her chest. Her face crinkled. She closed her eyes. She wept.

Her husband, José Chavez, placed his arm around her shoulder.

Across the aisle, Sandra’s estranged father Daniel Cantu, 37, nodded his head at the uplifting words from the speakers. He cried, too. Estranged from Maria Chavez, he barely knew his daughter. When news of her disappearance reached him in Southern California, he showed up in Tracy to join the search.

With the hunt ended, Sandra’s body found and hopes shattered that morning of April 6, the father was left to mourn with his family and friends in Tracy, where he grew up. Sandra’s maternal relatives cut off all contact with him years ago and chose to keep their distance despite the little girl’s death.

After the service, both families shuffled into separate rooms for refreshments.

A shrine to Sandra complete with plush toys and flowers decorated the podium at the West High gym. A harpist played slow, sad music as the crowd of thousands streamed out.

Tracy’s angel, Tracy adopted child, Tracy’s lost girl — that’s how many will remember her, Mayor Ives said.

“We’re left with the haunting image of her skipping down the streets of Tracy,” he said. “But today she’s skipping down on streets of gold.”

• Tracy Press reporter Justin Lafferty contributed to this report.

• Contact Tracy Press reporter Jennifer Wadsworth at 830-4225 or jwadsworth@tracypress.com.
no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

Zoe you will always be in my heart and soul

« Reply #605 on: April 17, 2009, 10:34:59 AM »

Thanks for the run down with Melissa's ex husband. JessStar, thanks for interpreting the legal jargon, and good luck with your case. Maybe it's just me, but if I knew, or was married or a family member of someone who commited such a horrible crime, I'd never under any circumstances go on any tv show, or talk to any reporter. I would not even want someone to know I was associated with that person.
no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #606 on: April 17, 2009, 10:36:14 AM »

That was a huge turn out for Sandra's memorial.
cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #607 on: April 17, 2009, 10:39:26 AM »

That was a huge turn out for Sandra's memorial.

a wonderful tribute to a beautiful little girl..inside and out....such a dirty rotten shame that she was murdered......makes me so sad to think about...

Izzy58
Scared Monkey

« Reply #608 on: April 17, 2009, 10:40:15 AM »

That sure was a short interview! I want to know what happened that led to their divorce. Did he want it, did she? Was either person abusive to the other? There has to me more to the story then what he's telling.
Catbert
Scared Monkey

Catbert the Monkey Lover

« Reply #609 on: April 17, 2009, 10:57:59 AM »

::MonkeyRoll::If you watch the little video on the url below - he has some intersting things to say:

http://www.ksee24.com/news/local/43160862.html

By Jon Brent
Story Published: Apr 17, 2009 at 3:10 AM EDT

Story Updated: Apr 17, 2009 at 3:10 AM EDT

Multimedia
 Watch The Video A rash of mass killings and sexual predator killings has many of us baffled.
What's behind these disturbing crimes? Can criminals be stopped before they act out?
In this Central Valley Focus, Jon Brent sits down for an exclusive interview with the internationally known criminologist and director for forensic studies at Alliant University, Dr. Eric Hickey to get some answers.
Hickey talks about mass murderers and analyzes the killing of 8 year old Sandra Cantu of Tracy.
Hickey says there are social indicators that contribute to those on the fringe of society who act out.

Yesterday is History
Tomorrow A Mystery
Today is a Gift
that

is why we call it the PRESENT
Edward
Monkey Junky

« Reply #610 on: April 17, 2009, 11:39:12 AM »

After talking with a doctor who has done autopsy's for a county, I am willing to bet that Sandra died of an accident.. Possibly a car hitting her. Nothing sexual at all.

It appears that the prosecutors offices try to pressure doctors into indicating sex crimes whether they have happened or not.. The doctors say "possibly" to rid themselves of further accusation or liability and the prosecutors RUN with it. There reason is because they can always negotiate down buy they can not go after MORE once they are in court..

The doctor said the really sad part is that the Prosecutor does this with no concern for the families feelings and that All Logic and common sense is out the door in the highly political office of the county prosecutors offices throughout the country. They just want to win convictions..

We will see said the Blind Man.. That I am.. jmho
no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #611 on: April 17, 2009, 11:59:51 AM »

After talking with a doctor who has done autopsy's for a county, I am willing to bet that Sandra died of an accident.. Possibly a car hitting her. Nothing sexual at all.

It appears that the prosecutors offices try to pressure doctors into indicating sex crimes whether they have happened or not.. The doctors say "possibly" to rid themselves of further accusation or liability and the prosecutors RUN with it. There reason is because they can always negotiate down buy they can not go after MORE once they are in court..

The doctor said the really sad part is that the Prosecutor does this with no concern for the families feelings and that All Logic and common sense is out the door in the highly political office of the county prosecutors offices throughout the country. They just want to win convictions..

Well, that just has me very upset, if this happens how awful really for everyone involved.
AZSunny
Monkey Junky

« Reply #612 on: April 17, 2009, 12:18:48 PM »

Edward, I am not sure what county this Doctor is located in, but he is clearly in the wrong type of work if he is caving in to prosecutors request for this type of information.  Very unprofessional and unethical to say the least.  The thought of no feelings for the victims families is bull roar. A great deal of counseling and information gathering time is spent with the families prior to charges being filed.

My daughter worked for several years as a prosecutor assigned to handle child molestation cases, and I can assure you this never happened within her county.  In most cases by the time she was assigned the case, the autopsy and results were already completed, and it was a matter of gathering enough info to prosecute.  I think this is kind of broad brushed statement by your friend.  Of course they want to win cases, that is their job, but it is not through devious practices.

As to Sandra just being hit by a car, what are you smoking?  If that were the case I am sure she would have clarified that issue, and handled all of this much differently.  I certainly do not understand where you are coming from with this.  Are you just stirring the pot? 

~~We cannot direct the wind but we can adjust the sails ~~
Wyks
Monkey All Star

« Reply #613 on: April 17, 2009, 12:21:55 PM »

Edward, I am not sure what county this Doctor is located in, but he is clearly in the wrong type of work if he is caving in to prosecutors request for this type of information.  Very unprofessional and unethical to say the least.  The thought of no feelings for the victims families is bull roar. A great deal of counseling and information gathering time is spent with the families prior to charges being filed.

My daughter worked for several years as a prosecutor assigned to handle child molestation cases, and I can assure you this never happened within her county.  In most cases by the time she was assigned the case, the autopsy and results were already completed, and it was a matter of gathering enough info to prosecute.  I think this is kind of broad brushed statement by your friend.  Of course they want to win cases, that is their job, but it is not through devious practices.

As to Sandra just being hit by a car, what are you smoking?  If that were the case I am sure she would have clarified that issue, and handled all of this much differently.  I certainly do not understand where you are coming from with this.  Are you just stirring the pot? 

Well said, Sunny.  Thank you. 

~ 'Things are not always what they seem' ~
N2WISHN
Monkey Junky

« Reply #614 on: April 17, 2009, 12:32:53 PM »

Don't see much need for a suitcase and pond if an accident were the case.......
spring2
Scared Monkey

« Reply #615 on: April 17, 2009, 12:33:23 PM »

So why did she break down in tears in court when they read that she had raped Sandra?
N2WISHN
Monkey Junky

« Reply #616 on: April 17, 2009, 12:39:13 PM »

So why did she break down in tears in court when they read that she had raped Sandra?

Here's one explaination....

snipped
First let me be clear. Melissa Huckaby is only accused of this murder. She is innocent until proven guilty by a jury of her peers. I want all of the evidence carefully considered and I want her trial to be as fair as possible.

But, these headlines only triggered the larger question: What is the true worth of tears? If someone does something awful and then cries about it, does that show more remorse than someone who doesn't cry?

We all have our way of showing grief, anger and remorse. For better for for worse, I'm not a crier and I've seen those that cry easily (or who can cry on will) treated with more compassion and sympathy than myself when I can assure you've I've been just as distraught.

It bothers me that news agencies are using Melissa Huckaby's crying as the main description of her first appearance in court. I'm afraid it will give her sympathy votes when she should be treated the same as anyone accused of kidnapping, raping and murdering a child. As we moms know, people can get away with a lot when they have the ability to inspire pity in others.

http://www.svmoms.com/2009/04/what-are-a-murders-tears-worth.html
theboyzmom
Monkey Junky

Brandi is making sure I get around!

« Reply #617 on: April 17, 2009, 12:40:48 PM »

Edward - I strongly disagree. IF this was an accident (mv vs child) it would have been charged this way. I have known alot of MEs and none, I repeat, none of them would ever make up evidence of a sexual assault. They may go so far as to say it appears there may have been a sexual assault but only when the evidence could go either way. I also think that this had to be an obvious sexual assault. There would be little if any evidence if it was a penetration by say a tongue or small finger. Most of the time this does not show up. And this had to be either repetitive assault or caused some damage recently - often little children will cause small injuries to them self by playing or by touching themselves (remember kids normally just see body parts as all the same). I personally know that doctors I have dealt with say that a young boy who is anally assaulted will show few signs within a few days unless there is a large amount of damage.

Sorry to be so graphic but it is the truth. The ME you talked to should not be working with crimes - honesty is so important especially in cases like this.

We can never be sure that the opinion we are endeavoring to stifle is a false opinion; and if we were sure, stifling it would be an evil still. - John Stuart Mill On Liberty, 1859
- George Bernard Shaw
Edward
Monkey Junky

« Reply #618 on: April 17, 2009, 12:50:29 PM »

Thank You everyone.. I will wait and see now.
She has been found.
There is a suspect.

You all may be right.. 

I am off to help find others.. and yes.. Doctors are just people and have opinions like everyone.. Does not make them correct as we can see doctors make mistakes ALL the time.
Cathy
Scared Monkey

« Reply #619 on: April 17, 2009, 01:40:46 PM »

That sure was a short interview! I want to know what happened that led to their divorce. Did he want it, did she? Was either person abusive to the other? There has to me more to the story then what he's telling.

Agree!

Posted the following on 4/15/09 on Blink:

Johnny Huckaby

“Melissa married Johnny Huckaby on May 10, 2003, four months before giving birth to Madison Huckaby in San Joaquin County, according to court documents. The pair moved south to Fontana, but the marriage quickly soured, with Melissa and her daughter moving out of their apartment by May 2004. Melissa took her daughter to mother Judy Lawless’ Cypress home and separated from Johnny Huckaby in August 2004, according to the divorce file. On Jan. 19, 2005, after almost a year living with her mother, Melissa Huckaby filed for divorce, citing irreconcilable differences, court records show.”
source: http://**/topstories/ci_12135348

And from a comment in the Tracy Press:
“« rla wrote on Wednesday, Apr 15 at 01:07 PM »
Everytime I search something new on this woman it gets more bizarre. The judge ruled there was evidence that Johnny Huckaby’s visits be supervised on allegations of: ‘abduction of child(ren),’ domestic violence and alcohol abuse.”
source: http://www.tracypress.com/pages/full_story?page_label=home&id=2317409-Slideshow-+Huckaby-s+arraignment&widget=push&article-Slideshow-%20Huckaby-s%20arraignment%20=&instance=home_news_bullets&open=&

Seeking Truth and praying for the Cantu family.

THEN POSTED THIS...

hmmmm… found this:

“Court records show that when Huckaby filed for divorce from her husband, John Huckaby, in Orange County in January 2005, the couple had no children. The identity of Madison’s father was not immediately clear.”
source: http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-huckaby13-2009apr13,0,6408687.story

BLINK SOURCE: http://blinkoncrime.com/2009/04/15/sandra-cantu-case-huckaby-swallowed-razor-blades-on-psych-meds/#comments
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.