May 14, 2024, 03:11:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Monkey Musings Daily Open Discussion #7 9/30 - 10/24/2007  (Read 182875 times)
IBE
Monkey Junky

« Reply #860 on: October 23, 2007, 01:55:45 AM »

Klaas,

14 Fwy closed... trailer park, trailers burning (these sometimes are only 3 feet apart if under older laws) at intersection of Soledad and Sand Canyon

Trailers are domino=ing in fire. They keep talking about propane tanks.. gee the reporters don't even know we have gas lines! like any home.

I would think some are trapped..... older, home bound.

Freedom is not free: it also takes ethics, character, accountability, responsibility and courage! Freedom for Scared Monkeys: donate to Red's legal fees.
IBE
Monkey Junky

« Reply #861 on: October 23, 2007, 01:57:14 AM »

Maybe storage place and not a mobile home complex.

Freedom is not free: it also takes ethics, character, accountability, responsibility and courage! Freedom for Scared Monkeys: donate to Red's legal fees.
IBE
Monkey Junky

« Reply #862 on: October 23, 2007, 02:04:20 AM »

Ch 9 KCAL

There's a chance that the 4 fires might join up .. Steven's Ranch, and 3 others may join.  Fwy 14 still closed... Gads, a tunnel fire, another big truck/car pile up and now a fire along the 14. It hasn't been a good 2 weeks for the 14.

We had a fire here about a year ago.. started short in refridge.. He was an older ex-Marine. He was burned in bed. Two neighbors pulled him out.   Survived only to die a few months later... a heart attack, but I think it was a broken heart.

In a mobile home park it is almost impossible  We have been required to put in 3 more fire hydrants.

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #863 on: October 23, 2007, 02:05:45 AM »

Klaas,

14 Fwy closed... trailer park, trailers burning (these sometimes are only 3 feet apart if under older laws) at intersection of Soledad and Sand Canyon

Trailers are domino=ing in fire. They keep talking about propane tanks.. gee the reporters don't even know we have gas lines! like any home.

I would think some are trapped..... older, home bound.

IBE - that's not near you is it?

I just heard on the news the San Diego fires are getting worse.  Now over 300,000 have been evacuated.  They are saying in the SD area over 500 homes have been destroyed. 

Let's pray that SHELL's home is safe.
IBE
Monkey Junky

« Reply #864 on: October 23, 2007, 02:07:25 AM »

We have home bound... I hope the neighbors could save some in those trailers... I get in trouble living here calling our homes "trailers"..

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #865 on: October 23, 2007, 02:10:17 AM »

We have home bound... I hope the neighbors could save some in those trailers... I get in trouble living here calling our homes "trailers"..

They are "mobile homes".  Often why they are called mobile as they don't move well at all  Laughing
IBE
Monkey Junky

« Reply #866 on: October 23, 2007, 02:11:26 AM »

I am guessing I am 20 miles south. I have spent many times at these intersections and store where the new fire is. They are smelling natural gas re: Channel 2

Klaas, were are those in SD going? Is that why the troops are coming in from the border??? The Army (not National Guard)

Some say some may be trapped in mobile home park. Man, a man is running to the trailers and there homes are on fire.

IBE
Monkey Junky

« Reply #867 on: October 23, 2007, 02:14:20 AM »

sorry "their" not "there"

Am crying. If this happened here without warning we have too many elderly and ill.

Where are 300,000 going... now Del Mar and Rancho Santa Fe... gads

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #868 on: October 23, 2007, 02:17:21 AM »

I am guessing I am 20 miles south. I have spent many times at these intersections and store where the new fire is. They are smelling natural gas re: Channel 2

Klaas, were are those in SD going? Is that why the troops are coming in from the border??? The Army (not National Guard)

Some say some may be trapped in mobile home park. Man, a man is running to the trailers and there homes are on fire.

That trailer park is a mess I hope nobody is trapped.  The fire marshal just said before they even started working on the fire they evacuated residents.

There are about 4 fires burning in San Diego County.
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #869 on: October 23, 2007, 02:19:17 AM »

I'm fading fast, didn't sleep last night.

GOODNIGHT ALL!
IBE
Monkey Junky

« Reply #870 on: October 23, 2007, 02:24:28 AM »

They are "mobile homes".  Often why they are called mobile as they don't move well at all  Laughing

Like some of us in them!

Actually a trailer is to about 1984 or 1974 when HUD came in.. after that the "newer ones" are called mobile homes... then the larger ones are manufacture homes

Yes, it is a mobile home complex and really on fire; now heading to apartments.

Oh.. tomorrow... my clutter is going.

The aerial shots show double wides. The least expensive double wide here is 95000 )about 25 yrs. old) not including the land as we, homeowners as a group own the land. but median homes are 800,000 so the data shows. They let us have pets. I don't know where I would go if something happened. Have had one house fire in '92 and earthquake shifting foundation when moving back in in '94.. You never recover in some areas of living.

In our park.. in a great "smaller" city surrounded by LA... the trailers go from 80,000 to 125,000. You have to pay for them when you buy or if newer can get financing.

Hear the firetrucks now. Every time I hear a diesel come down the lane... it's either a firetruck or EMT.

Laguna Beach had 100 mph Ch 2 said a few days ago.. says 60 in canyons then wind goes in circles when it gets to flat lands. 51 mph in Malibu now.

Klaas... stay safe. Prayers from Shell, Klaas, and all Monkeys.

IBE
Monkey Junky

« Reply #871 on: October 23, 2007, 02:27:48 AM »

Good night Klaas and God Bless.

Prayers for those who think their insurance companies will make them "whole again" and like a good neighbor is there!

IBE
Monkey Junky

« Reply #872 on: October 23, 2007, 02:37:48 AM »

We are short of firemen and logistic support people.

gads, the Santa Annas are also times we have some of our earthquakes.

I have been in 3 disasters plus some other things so earned the PTSD  Laughing.. anyway, my own home fire was only a personal disaster. In the tornado and the earthquake, the Salvation Army was first on the scene, within 1/2 hour when I was in Indiana. The Red Cross took hours.

The Salvation Army let me join them immediately as a volunteer. I could zero in on those heading for PTSD... maybe a gut feeling or something in their eyes.

They have lsot 3 mobile homes... Fire may be out in 45 min.

Where, do you evacuate 300,000 residents in CA??? Am guessing many are living in their cars in shopping centers.

Anyone heard from Shell??? Good night all.

Bet you the National Guard, at least those still left in CA, will be called up.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #873 on: October 23, 2007, 08:18:56 AM »

Hello and good morning to all this Tuesday a.m.  I hope all our Cali monkeys are safe and their homes are spared from the fires.  I'm reading about the horrendous winds  and the firefighters are not able to control the fires. I hope they can stay safe too. It's a very somber morning, reading about and  watching others struggle for their lives, homes, pets and lively hood.   I will open a thread on news of the day  for the fire, so photos, videos and stories can be posted and read there.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
sharon
Monkey Junky

« Reply #874 on: October 23, 2007, 08:26:32 AM »

NASA begins fueling Discovery for today's launch

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sfl-1023shuttle,0,7996124.story?coll=sofla_tab01_layout

By MARCIA DUNN | Associated Press
7:27 AM EDT, October 23, 2007

CAPE CANAVERAL - NASA fueled Discovery for liftoff Tuesday on a backbreakingly difficult space station construction mission, despite a gloomy forecast calling for rain right around launch time.

The space shuttle was set to blast off at 11:38 a.m.

Just before dawn, scattered showers drenched the area. Meteorologists expected more rain clouds to move into the area later in the morning and quite possibly force a delay.

NASA
Hoping to beat the poor weather odds, NASA pumped more than 500,000 gallons of super-cold liquid hydrogen and oxygen into Discovery's external tank, modified since the last mission to prevent dangerous ice buildup and reduce the potential for launch debris.

The wings, however, were not altered in any way, even though a safety engineering group pressed for a delay because of concern over three panels with possible flaws.

Commander Pamela Melroy, only the second woman to lead a shuttle mission, expressed her confidence late last week about flying Discovery, as have many of the senior managers who decided to skip wing repairs. A possible cracking problem with the protective coating on three of the wing panels was deemed an acceptably low risk.

A piece of tank foam fell off and punctured a hole in Columbia's wing in 2003, causing the shuttle to break up on re-entry. Discovery and its crew of seven will embark on a two-week mission that is considered the most challenging and complex in the nine years of orbital assembly of the international space station.

The shuttle will carry up an Italian-built live-in compartment, about the size of a small bus, that the astronauts will attach to the space station. It's named Harmony, the choice of schoolchildren who took part in a national competition. About 130 of those youngsters traveled to Cape Canaveral to witness the launch.

Europe and Japan's laboratories will link up with Harmony once they are launched by shuttles over the next few months.

Discovery's astronauts also will move a massive girder and set of solar wings from one part of the space station to another. That work will involve extending radiators as well as the folded solar wings _ 240 feet from tip to tip when outstretched.

In all, five spacewalks are planned, four to complete this construction job and one to test a method for fixing damaged shuttle thermal tiles using a caulking gun and high-tech goo. The demonstration with sample tiles was added after Endeavour suffered a gouge to its belly during the last launch in August from a piece of flyaway fuel-tank foam.

Once Discovery leaves, the three space station residents _ one of whom will be dropped off by the shuttle _ will face even more construction work to prepare for the European lab's arrival as early as December.

Discovery's crew includes an Italian astronaut making his first spaceflight, Paolo Nespoli.

On the Net: NASA: http://spaceflight.nasa.gov

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world.  Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has!" Margaret Mead
msmarple
Monkey Junky

« Reply #875 on: October 23, 2007, 09:41:43 AM »

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/P/PREPPIE_KILLER?SITE=FLTAM&SECTION=US

Oct 23, 7:40 AM EDT

`Preppie Killer' Arrested in Drug Sting

NEW YORK (AP) -- The so-called "Preppie Killer," who served 15 years in prison for strangling a woman in Central Park, was arrested Monday on charges of selling drugs and resisting arrest.

Robert Chambers' arrest stemmed from an undercover operation in which drugs, including cocaine, were purchased from him at his residence in Manhattan's Upper East Side, police said. They said he struggled with officers during his arrest.

It was not immediately clear whether Chambers had an attorney.

Chambers was charged with several counts of criminal sale of controlled substances and resisting arrest.

Chambers was released from prison on Valentine's Day 2003 after serving 15 years for the 1986 strangling of 18-year-old Jennifer Levin during a tryst in Central Park.

The undercover sting began after police received complaints alleging drug sales at Chambers' residence, where he lived with his girlfriend, police spokesman Paul Browne said. Undercover officers were able to buy cocaine from Chambers, he said.

"There was considerable traffic to his door," Browne said. "He was pretty indiscrete about it."

Chambers' girlfriend was also arrested on a charge of criminal sale of a controlled substance.

Police arrested Chambers in 2004 for misdemeanor heroin possession and unlicensed driving. He pleaded guilty and was sentenced to 100 days in jail and ordered to pay a $200 fine.

A message left early Tuesday for the state Division of Parole inquiring about Chambers' status was not immediately returned.

Why did they have to disappear her body?

Murder & Crime on  Aruba Summary - http://tinyurl.com/2lhukn

My usual avatar is an orchis simia (monkey orchid) plant.
Peaches
Monkey Junky

~WE LOVE YOU PEACHES~

« Reply #876 on: October 23, 2007, 10:02:24 AM »

President Bush is going to be on Fox in a few to talk about the fires in CA. 

Where is Westminster in relation to the fire? 

This kinda stuff drives me crazy.

"I bring my better angels to every fight".
Expect a miracle.
Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #877 on: October 23, 2007, 10:21:35 AM »

Good Morning, All,

Checking in for update on the fires.  600 homes destroyed.  Thanks for the heads up on the press release from POTUS, Peaches, going to try to catch that.  I am sure more troops will be sent. 

PERSONA NON GRATA

All posts reflect my opinion only and are not shared by all forum members nor intended as statement of facts.  I am doing the best I can with the information available.

Murder & Crime on Aruba Summary http://tinyurl.com/2nus7c
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #878 on: October 23, 2007, 10:31:08 AM »

President Bush is going to be on Fox in a few to talk about the fires in CA. 

Where is Westminster in relation to the fire? 

This kinda stuff drives me crazy.

Westminster wouldn't be anywhere near any of the fires. 
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #879 on: October 23, 2007, 10:39:20 AM »

ORANGE COUNTY, CALIFORNIA - FIRES

http://www.ocregister.com/

Wildfire: The latest on the Santiago fire

Firefighters have announced that 600 homes and about 2,000 in Silverado Canyon face an "immediate threat" from the wildfire. That community, as well as neighborhoods in nearby Modjeska and Williams Canyon, is being evacuated. - 7 a.m.

Firefighters have ordered about 90 residents in Williams Canyon to leave as the fire encroaches. The evacuation order covers 22 homes in the canyon community, between Modjeska and Silverado canyons. Evacuees can go to a shelter at El Modena High School. - 6:24 a.m.

More than 2,500 households in Orange County are without power as high winds and fire destroy electric lines. Just after 6:15 a.m., Southern California Edison listed 910 homes without power in Costa Mesa; 875 in Santa Ana; 405 in Irvine; 265 in Fullerton; and 215 in Fountain Valley. There also are much smaller outages scattered through other communities. SoCal Edison has more than 400 workers trying to restore power across its service area. - 6:16 a.m..

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.