May 14, 2024, 07:03:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lively Case Discussion #480 6/25 - 6/26/2006  (Read 174918 times)
tcumom
Monkey Junky

« Reply #120 on: June 26, 2006, 12:21:17 AM »

Easy ~ are you upset about something?
SunFreak2
Monkey Junky

« Reply #121 on: June 26, 2006, 12:21:33 AM »

Quote from: "Leslie"
Anna:   I think a man who likes to dance is more important than a man with big feet.   Know what I mean?

ROTFLMAO.  Most definitely a man has got to have rhythm or he can't dance vertically or horizontally.
Carnut
Monkey Junky

« Reply #122 on: June 26, 2006, 12:24:24 AM »

Quote from: "SunFreak2"
Quote from: "LouiseVargas"
Klaas,

I understand there is a high cost to retrieve data from the old dead hard drives. We have lost tons of precious information. We're unlikely to see that info ever again. I'd love to be proven wrong. If the damn drives didn't die in the first place, we would not be facing the situation of retrieval.

I'm writing about preventing this from happening again. Isn't that what you, Red, Mrs. Red and Tom want?

Since the Server company has failed us TWICE, why continue with that unreliable company?  Are we gonna wait for it to happen a third and fourth time?

If you can't ask the Server company what brand of hard drive they are using, as well as if the drive is new or refurbished, or why the drives are dying so often, then there is something VERY off and very wrong in the BUSINESS relationship between Scared Monkeys and the Server company.

These are not stupid questions. They are very important questions.

Are we gonna wait for it to happen a third and fourth time? What can be done?  And again, this is none of my business but I have invested over a year of my time on this board trying to solve the case. All the precious posts are gone.

BRAVO Mama Louise.  Are they sure that the hard drives are corrupt? My computer died once and was able to retrieve the data.  Reformated the drive and used it again.  The next time my computer died, I took the old drive and used it as a peripheral drive with my new computer.

Also, is there not a way to do a backup at the server level or otherwise?
How much money would be involved in retrieving the info from the first hard drive?  Any IT people in SM or their spouses, family etc that could do that?

Sorry about even more questions.  Just trying to help and/or understand.

Well, it's kinda like racing cars, it costs money to go fast, so how fast you wanna go depends on how much money you want to throw at the car.

Same with online servers, fast connections, fast servers, mirrored harddrives, failover systems, system restorations all cost money.

It would appear for an essentially 'free' site it is trying to get by with a somewhat budget approach.

Can you really be upset with that?
Lala'sMom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #123 on: June 26, 2006, 12:24:30 AM »

Easy
Please tell me if I said anything to anger you?  I was not being sarcastic in any way.  I was truly trying to offer you encouragement.  If I did anything  to hurt your feelings I am truly sorry. I think I need to get out of here for a while.  It seems my fingers say things they shouldn't.  Night all.  Someone hug Nemo for me.  Embarassed
Angiex911dsptchr
Monkey All Star

« Reply #124 on: June 26, 2006, 12:24:30 AM »

Quote from: "Lala'sMom"
Quote from: "Angiex911dsptchr"
Quote from: "Lala'sMom"
Hey, Angie are you still here?  I sent you an IM.  Laughing

Hi lalas.. sorry.. I ran downstairs to make a salad, LOL
I am here.. but if you sent it to yahoo IM. I am not signed on there!

Well, never mind, it wasn't important at all.

LOL~!  Half the time when I sign on my yahoo IM. it wont work.. and I have to relaod it.. i didnt sign on tonight at all.. If you did leave a message. I will get it~!! I am off tomorrow!!  Smile  Gotta check it out~!

Ohhhhhh. and BTW.. incase Lalas goes ot bed before  me.. I am asking CP to hug NEMO for her..  (Umm. I fel asleep last night at my desk lurking. YIKES!)
Carnut
Monkey Junky

« Reply #125 on: June 26, 2006, 12:25:39 AM »

Anna:   I think a man who likes to dance is more important than a man with big feet.   Know what I mean?

ROTFLMAO.  Most definitely a man has got to have rhythm or he can't dance vertically or horizontally.

I's got's da rhythm, but it ain't doing me much good.
Carnut
Monkey Junky

« Reply #126 on: June 26, 2006, 12:27:44 AM »

Quote from: "Carnut"

I's got's da rhythm, but it ain't doing me much good.

Signed Sleepless in Wichita.
Easywriter
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #127 on: June 26, 2006, 12:30:20 AM »

Someone I thought was a friend broke my heart today and my rhetoric crashed into yesterday, tomorrow and beyond.  

Just one of those things.................
SunFreak2
Monkey Junky

« Reply #128 on: June 26, 2006, 12:33:17 AM »

I adore men who can dance.  I remember dancing with my Daddy when I was a little girl, standing on his shoes as he moved.  He's always been a terrific dancer and can make any woman look great on the floor as long as she can follow.  When disco hit I wasn't really into it the music of the dance fever.  Once, when I was home between quarters in college, he took me out dancing at a disco club. He twirled me around making me look land feel like disco queen.  Women were coming up to him asking him to dance.  They still do.  He loves to dance, and still does at 83 even though he's slowed down and had a knee replacement.  He still enjoys a good party time.
Leslie
Monkey Junky

« Reply #129 on: June 26, 2006, 12:34:41 AM »

Richard Marx was mentioned in the discussion earlier.  He was married to an actress/dancer who was in Dirty Dancing.  He co-wrote the song
"Dance with My Father" with Luther Vandross and played piano for Celine Dion when she sang the song on TV.  
http://tinyurl.com/o6qst

Fox reported...I decided...Click!
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #130 on: June 26, 2006, 12:35:20 AM »

Hello to any monkeys out there.  

Carnut-are you going to write a "Dear Abby" sort of column?

Easy-Betrayal by one you thought was your friend?  Painful.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Angiex911dsptchr
Monkey All Star

« Reply #131 on: June 26, 2006, 12:37:12 AM »

Quote from: "Easywriter"
Someone I thought was a friend broke my heart today and my rhetoric crashed into yesterday, tomorrow and beyond.  

Sad   Big hugs sent your way.
SunFreak2
Monkey Junky

« Reply #132 on: June 26, 2006, 12:37:31 AM »

Quote from: "Carnut"
Quote from: "LouiseVargas"
Klaas,

I understand there is a high cost to retrieve data from the old dead hard drives. We have lost tons of precious information. We're unlikely to see that info ever again. I'd love to be proven wrong. If the damn drives didn't die in the first place, we would not be facing the situation of retrieval.

I'm writing about preventing this from happening again. Isn't that what you, Red, Mrs. Red and Tom want?

Since the Server company has failed us TWICE, why continue with that unreliable company?  Are we gonna wait for it to happen a third and fourth time?

If you can't ask the Server company what brand of hard drive they are using, as well as if the drive is new or refurbished, or why the drives are dying so often, then there is something VERY off and very wrong in the BUSINESS relationship between Scared Monkeys and the Server company.

These are not stupid questions. They are very important questions.

Are we gonna wait for it to happen a third and fourth time? What can be done?  And again, this is none of my business but I have invested over a year of my time on this board trying to solve the case. All the precious posts are gone.

BRAVO Mama Louise.  Are they sure that the hard drives are corrupt? My computer died once and was able to retrieve the data.  Reformated the drive and used it again.  The next time my computer died, I took the old drive and used it as a peripheral drive with my new computer.

Also, is there not a way to do a backup at the server level or otherwise?
How much money would be involved in retrieving the info from the first hard drive?  Any IT people in SM or their spouses, family etc that could do that?

Sorry about even more questions.  Just trying to help and/or understand.

Well, it's kinda like racing cars, it costs money to go fast, so how fast you wanna go depends on how much money you want to throw at the car.

Same with online servers, fast connections, fast servers, mirrored harddrives, failover systems, system restorations all cost money.

It would appear for an essentially 'free' site it is trying to get by with a somewhat budget approach.

No, I'm not upset with it.  Just asking questions.  You know, inquiring minds and all.  I guess what I and perhaps Louise were trying to get at is if some donations from the members can help get a better drive or restoration of data and how much would it take.
Angiex911dsptchr
Monkey All Star

« Reply #133 on: June 26, 2006, 12:37:49 AM »

Quote from: "MuffyBee"

hi there Muffy~!!!!!!!!!
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #134 on: June 26, 2006, 12:38:15 AM »

Richard Marx was mentioned in the discussion earlier.  He was married to an actress/dancer who was in Dirty Dancing.  He co-wrote the song
"Dance with My Father" with Luther Vandross and played piano for Celine Dion when she sang the song on TV.  
http://tinyurl.com/o6qst

Leslie-"Dance with my Father"-brings back memories when I danced with my Dad-stood with my little bare feet on his big shoes and we danced.  And the last time we danced at my folks 50th wedding anniversay...and now he's gone.  But I can remember the dancing.  He always thought he was a wonderful dancer-smooth.  Actually, he was a very tall man that bounced around on his tippy toes, but he would whirl and twirl, and it didn't really matter the steps.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Carnut
Monkey Junky

« Reply #135 on: June 26, 2006, 12:38:52 AM »

Think I just kinda got on a roll tonight, almost like being back in the 'Chat Room'.
mishy
Monkey Junky

« Reply #136 on: June 26, 2006, 12:39:26 AM »

Quote from: "Easywriter"

I'm sorry Easy. For me, it's hard enough to put myself out there and trust people, but you guys have actually made it easier...But when you get burned after you go out on a limb with someone, it really can hurt  Crying or Very sad  Crying or Very sad  Crying or Very sad

Bring Natalee home...
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #137 on: June 26, 2006, 12:39:43 AM »

Hey there Angie-  good to "see you" .  Doing the final packing to leave today for U.S.  Will be great to be home-just wish I could bring DH along now, instead of him coming next year. Sad

LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #138 on: June 26, 2006, 12:40:00 AM »

Carnut,

Thank you for the really clear comparison. You are right, I was thinking all the Server companies cost the same. You educated me. Thank you.

Louise

Hope is everything. I see angels everywhere.
mishy
Monkey Junky

« Reply #139 on: June 26, 2006, 12:40:13 AM »

Hello MuffyBee!! Glad I got to see you before I head to bed...When you coming back stateside?

Bring Natalee home...
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.