May 16, 2024, 01:07:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: JSM's BEGGING FOR BAN THREAD #12  (Read 686620 times)
no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

Zoe you will always be in my heart and soul

« Reply #3940 on: February 04, 2010, 09:53:31 PM »

Hope everyone has a great night, off to watch tv.
theboyzmom
Monkey Junky

Brandi is making sure I get around!

« Reply #3941 on: February 04, 2010, 09:55:48 PM »

I love them both. Both seem to have a soft side buried under a mask of strength. I loved when Penelope got shot (well not that she got shot) and the group rallied around her!
That was a really good episode, I haven't seen one episode that I didn't like, though I will say that I miss Mandy Patinkin from the show 

Yea - I have liked him in every show I have seen him in. He is so dynamic and has such a cute smile!

We can never be sure that the opinion we are endeavoring to stifle is a false opinion; and if we were sure, stifling it would be an evil still. - John Stuart Mill On Liberty, 1859
- George Bernard Shaw
Brandi
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #3942 on: February 04, 2010, 10:23:36 PM »

Hope everyone has a great night, off to watch tv.

Good night, no rose. Give Zoe a hug for me!

Tevye
Monkey Junky

Burn, baby, burn...'Ol Sparky is waiting for you!

« Reply #3943 on: February 05, 2010, 08:10:17 AM »

Wakey wakey, all monks outta their bunkies!!

Remember Ladies, get the damm mamm!     Thanks, Brandi!
Green Eyes
Monkey Mega Star

Happy Spring

« Reply #3944 on: February 05, 2010, 08:23:55 AM »

Good Morning Tevye

I'm up and that's about all I can say. Monkey Devil!

Hows it going this morning?

GOD BLESS AMERICA
Tevye
Monkey Junky

« Reply #3945 on: February 05, 2010, 09:17:03 AM »

Good Morning Tevye

/going good. Got up too early for a busy day, but I can sleep all weekend if I choose (and I think I'll choose!). Gotta Harry Potter last movie date with GS #2...but thankfully, it's only for the movie, not overnight. Gotta share with the downstate Grandparents...and this works well for me. After a shot of Neulasta-it'll-kick-your-asta, I'm off to the jail for the afternoon. Good times!

And you? I hear from NoRoseColored Glasses that Bailey's will really make your day better!

no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #3946 on: February 05, 2010, 09:31:50 AM »

Good morning everyone 
Green Eyes
Monkey Mega Star

Happy Spring

« Reply #3947 on: February 05, 2010, 09:38:26 AM »

Good Morning Tevye

/going good. Got up too early for a busy day, but I can sleep all weekend if I choose (and I think I'll choose!). Gotta Harry Potter last movie date with GS #2...but thankfully, it's only for the movie, not overnight. Gotta share with the downstate Grandparents...and this works well for me. After a shot of Neulasta-it'll-kick-your-asta, I'm off to the jail for the afternoon. Good times!

And you? I hear from NoRoseColored Glasses that Bailey's will really make your day better!

I remember when GChildren were little and wanted to spend time with Grandma and now they are teenagers and I know nothing Am glad to hear you are going to take it easy this week end.  You need time to recharge your batteries. 

GOD BLESS AMERICA
Green Eyes
Monkey Mega Star

Happy Spring

« Reply #3948 on: February 05, 2010, 09:40:25 AM »

Good morning everyone 

Morning NRCG 

How you feeling this morning?

GOD BLESS AMERICA
Green Eyes
Monkey Mega Star

Happy Spring

« Reply #3949 on: February 05, 2010, 09:56:18 AM »

OMG They just had on the news an 11 year old girl just gave birth to a little girl. All they said was she was from the North East.  That is so sad. Our children are not getting to be children any more.

GOD BLESS AMERICA
Missiontoconvict
Monkey All Star Jr.

Seeking Justice for Caylee

« Reply #3950 on: February 05, 2010, 10:00:09 AM »

In honor of Tevye!

On July 5th, 2011 Caylee Anthony was denied Justice, her murderer was set free.
Missiontoconvict
Monkey All Star Jr.

Seeking Justice for Caylee

« Reply #3951 on: February 05, 2010, 10:03:37 AM »

HOLY SLOW!!!  I need to catch up and it may take me allllll day the cage is beastly today 

On July 5th, 2011 Caylee Anthony was denied Justice, her murderer was set free.
Tevye
Monkey Junky

« Reply #3952 on: February 05, 2010, 10:13:39 AM »

In honor of Tevye!

LOL! Thanks so much, Mission!!!! Bob certainly appreciates the artwork!

no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #3953 on: February 05, 2010, 10:15:44 AM »

OMG They just had on the news an 11 year old girl just gave birth to a little girl. All they said was she was from the North East.  That is so sad. Our children are not getting to be children any more.
I saw that    A little better, but now the rain is coming again, so I'll have to drag myself out in that with Zoe.
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #3954 on: February 05, 2010, 10:21:40 AM »

HOLY SLOW!!!  I need to catch up and it may take me allllll day the cage is beastly today 

that's putting it nicely.   
Hubby volunteered me to help his buddy do some employment research online......I DO NOT THINK SO!!!!!!!
I just told his buddy they can do it themselves and not on my laptop!!!!!!!!!They can use the beast up stairs   Monkey Devil!
Not my problem.I got stuff to read and 2 chaotics dogs on my hands.   
Now I am gonna go set their chit up so surely any normal person can do what they need to do.     
I am taking this    with me in case I need it.   

Maybe I'll this one too.   

~241~ "The Longer You Love,The Longer You Live,The Stronger You Feel,The More You Can Give."
~ Peter Frampton
Tevye
Monkey Junky

« Reply #3955 on: February 05, 2010, 10:27:02 AM »

Something I found about the current situation in Haiti. It's rather long, but well worth the read.

"A Report from Haiti
Private email | Feb. | Rob Boyer

Posted on Fri Feb 5 10:08:36 2010 by hellbender

I've had a fair number of questions about the relief effort in Haiti and lots of "Where does Haiti go from here?" type questions. I know all of you to be thinkers and students of international affairs and so thought I would take my stab at providing you with some first person perspective of what I saw and observed. I'm also more than happy to take a shot at "Where do they go from here." I don't claim to be an expert on Haiti, but I do spend a lot of time there and have a number of opinions which I will happily share with you here. You may agree or disagree but I think the more people thinking about Haiti the better.

Why has aid been so slow?

First, let me say that for the entire time I was in Haiti I conducted my own very unscientific survey. I asked every Haitian I ran into; "Has there been any food or water distributed in your neighborhood? Do you know anyone who has received any aid? Have you heard any rumors or reports of aid being distributed anywhere?" I posed this question to 30 or 40 Haitians without one positive response. No aid in Delmas; not in Croix des Bouquetts; or Petionville; or Carrefour...nowhere. I did see one Red Cross truck near the airport handing out gatorade to some children but other than that did not personally observe any aid being distributed. There are a number of factors:

1.) Logistics: Without the benefit of the port for food shipments the UN has been limited to the international airport and two convoys per day or food/water from the Dominican Republic. Someone told me that CNN had been reporting round the clock flights into the airport with airplanes stacked up in the holding pattern. I can tell you firsthand that is not true. Where I stayed was near the flight pattern of the airport and I can tell you that we usually had 3-5 C-17 deliveries per day. I also saw a Russian Ilyushin cargo plane on two occasions and a beat up old DC-3 which came in and out most every day. Other than that; the traffic is all small private jets...mostly NGOs from the U.S. delivering or picking up medical teams and supplies. Warehouse Space: There isn't any at the airport and so the UN stores materials off the runway and there's no larger warehouse space for storage. Trucks: Also in short supply although I will say that the fuel situation normalized while I was there. Fuel shot up to around $15.00 per gallon but by the time I left was back down to $3.50 per gallon and was not in short supply.

In short, the airport is a huge bottleneck. Nowhere to store stuff, no trucks to deliver stuff, and when you do go out traffic is horrible as it takes hours to get anywhere.

2.) UN Organizational Structure: Here's how it works. The UN creates what they call "clusters" (I know, aptly named). There are five; food, water, health, logistics, and shelter. Below each cluster are sub-clusters where things like Child Protection and Orphan issues fall. Each cluster is managed by a different agency. World Food Program manages food for example, Unicef manages children, Save the Children the Child Protection Cluster, etc..etc...and so on down the line. The cluster is the right model in that it recognizes that lots of different groups come to the table during a disaster. The cluster attempts to share information and organize all the interested parties into a cohesive vision. The problem is that this structure is not conducive to a crisis with immediate needs. It takes a long time to organize this structure, fill all the open positions, and start moving. When time is critical this is literally...a cluster. My second day in country I sat thru a one hour meeting of a sub-cluster of a sub-cluster of the Child Protection sub-cluster where we discussed input data collection procedures for displaced children. The entire meeting I was thinking, "If we all just grabbed handfuls of food and walked out the main gate we could feed 50 people right now." Instead, in the middle of the crisis and while people were suffering and starving the UN wanted to talk about an excel spreadsheet. There is a time for that and it's important but clearly their priorities were way off. What we needed was a General who could move mountains and what the UN sent was a bunch of bean counters. Mostly young 20 year olds just out of college who have never worked a disaster and were never allowed to go outside the protective walls of the UN and actually observe what was happening firsthand. Cluster.

3.) NGO's have no Plan B: The big aid groups like the Red Cross for example base their relief on receiving containers of food in large quanitites. As I mentioned, the port is not available and so ships loaded with relief supplies are unable to unload in Port au Prince. This fact has left most NGOs completely flat footed. As a result, many of these big name groups are just waiting around until they can either a.) get their stuff into port or b.) get supplies delivered to them from the UN. So as people suffer these groups sit on the sideline waiting for something to happen. This I find particuarly frustrating. There isn't any Plan B and there isn't any "do whatever it takes at all cost" sort of mentality. It may be inconvenient to off load in Cap Haitian and truck stuff 15 hours to Port au Prince. It's equally inconvenient to unload in the Dominican and truck stuff across the border but it's better than the alternative which is to do nothing! It's one thing to be critical of the UN but I also think for all the millions raised from U.S. donors there's been remarkably little activity from the big name U.S. charities. And while I appreciate that the UN is not keeping them in the loop and not engaging them in the process--so what? That does not excuse them from their humanitarian calling. Mike and Joe from Global Orphan Project showed up in country with $50,000 cash. They bought a truck in the Dominican and started shipping tons of rice, beans, and water back and forth to Haiti. There's no excuse for NGO's ten times their size with millions of dollars to not have done the same.

4.) Security Issues: On CNN and on the UN compound in Port au Prince you hear nothing but concerns about security. "We can't leave the compound. It's not safe. We can't hand out food there will be a riot." etc...etc... The security concerns are a bunch of overhyped nonsense. Yes, there are parts of Port au Prince where I would not want to walk at night. There are neighborhoods in Kansas City I don't walk at night either. During daylight hours, I have no qualms going anywhere in the city. I've walked alone, talked with Haitians, and never had so much as an uncomfortable look. On the contrary, more often then not, a Haitian will come up and shake your hand and thank you for being there and for trying to make a difference for Haiti.

5.) Distribution Network: Lastly, the UN is trying to distribute food and water without the assistance of the Haitians. If they would engage local pastors and the members of their local churches to help with distribution it would be much easier...and smarter. The Haitians know who in their community is dead, sick, starving. No one knows better than the Haitians how to help. I talked with one girl who told me that in her part of Port au Prince the neighborhoods had all organized themselves. If the UN worked through the neighborhood leader the needs of that community could be met. In my view, there is almost a mindset which believes that Haitians are these angry, violent mobs that will turn destructive on a moment's notice. That couldn't be farther from the truth and long term solutions for Haiti must engage Haitians at the local level. All these factors are playing into the slow delivery of aid. I think the next two weeks in Haiti are critical. There's a looming public health disaster on the horizon. 1,000,000 people living in the streets without clean water or sewer. Already there is death from disease and infection. That problem will only get worse if the UN can't sort out it's distribution process.

Where does Haiti go from here?

Undoubtedly a lot of ideas will surface about the rebuilding. I believe very passionately that job creation is the best long term solution for Haiti. Everything else is a band-aid. We can build the most beautiful planned communities in the world but without jobs those projects will all eventually fall short. I believe in economic solutions for Haiti and that free market capitalists will want to invest in Haiti if the right reforms can be implemented. Haiti has three huge advantages which make it a very desirable place to do business: 1.) proximity to the U.S. for trade 2.) Availability of cheap labor 3.) Desireable and beautiful real estate

Foreign Aid: The focus of foreign aid should be on infrastructure. Port au Prince should not be re-built in its entirety as that will happen over time and is cost prohibitive. Government buildings should be constructed, the Presidential Palace and National Cathedral re-built. Roads improved, the port modernized, the airport upgraded, some form of sewer system implemented, and some reliable source of electricity. When possible, the international community should exert influence and implement strategies to encourage Haiti to revamp some of their out-dated bureaucratic processes.

U.S. Aid: Propose a Haitian Aid Bill which includes the following (in addition to financial and military aid): Additional work visas for Haitians desiring to work in the U.S.; streamlined process for Americans to adopt Haitian children; a NAFTA like trade agreement which opens Haiti up to import and export of U.S. goods and services; tax incentives for U.S. companies that create jobs in Haiti; require US Aid and other agencies to award contracts whenever possible to Haitian companies or U.S. companies with offices in Haiti that employ Haitian workers to ensure that aid for Haiti is actually spent in Haiti.

Comment: A number of outlets and e-mails have suggested that Haiti should become our 51st state, a U.S. protectorate, or that we should govern them for some period of time. I don't see that as viable under any circumstances. The international community doesn't want that, the Haitian government doesn't want it, and I don't think the U.S. electorate has any interest in spending billions of dollars to fix all the issues in Haiti. Plus, it's been tried. Recall that the U.S. occupied Haiti from 1915-1934 with mixed results. Mixed in that it was mostly good for the U.S.-not so good for the Haitians and ended in a revolt in southern Haiti where marines shot and killed 10 Haitian protestors.

Haitian Reform: This is the most important. Without reform of some basic parts of the Haitian government I fear we are in for a long and disappointing road which leads us right back to disaster. Haiti must become an easier place to do business. Their current system rewards corruption and encourages the creation of road blocks at every stop. Haiti routinely shows up in the bottom 10 on the WorldBank's Ease of Doing Business Index. Now is Haiti's opportunity to reverse that trend.

-eliminate or standardize import/export duties -modernize the legal system; most Haitian legal practices date back to Napoleon. At a minimum, simplify the process for doing business in Haiti. -Simplified adoption procedures -Re-issue land titles to all property. Clarify ownership; simplify process for land transactions -Identify and register businesses. 80% of commerce in Haiti is informal. Etc Etc...I think you get the idea.

There is obviously a great deal to be done. Perhaps in the midst of this great tragedy an opportunity will be created for Haiti to turn itself around.

I thank all of you for your interest in Haiti and for your encouragement and support during the time I was there. I'm lucky to have all of you and that point is never lost on me.

Feel free to share these comments with anyone you think might like to read them. I welcome feedback and am happy to answer any questions which might arise.

Rob.

Rob Boyer Managing Partner C3 Global Growth Fund (913) 915-1140 10900 Lackman Rd. Lenexa, KS 66219"

I included the author's name, as it was included in the post.

Tevye
Monkey Junky

« Reply #3956 on: February 05, 2010, 10:28:33 AM »

that's putting it nicely.   
Hubby volunteered me to help his buddy do some employment research online......I DO NOT THINK SO!!!!!!!
I just told his buddy they can do it themselves and not on my laptop!!!!!!!!!They can use the beast up stairs   Monkey Devil!
Not my problem.I got stuff to read and 2 chaotics dogs on my hands.   
Now I am gonna go set their chit up so surely any normal person can do what they need to do.     
I am taking this    with me in case I need it.   

Maybe I'll this one too.   
If all else fails, you could use this, as a last resort:  and then remind hubby not to volunteer your time!

Green Eyes
Monkey Mega Star

Happy Spring

« Reply #3957 on: February 05, 2010, 10:30:40 AM »

I saw that    A little better, but now the rain is coming again, so I'll have to drag myself out in that with Zoe.

Glad to hear you are doing a little better. I saw you were to get some more rain. Is it just a normal Calif. rain this time  or the heavy stuff you just had?  Try and stay dry.

GOD BLESS AMERICA
joesamas mama
Monkey Mega Star

Patton is my babe. RIP my Josef I love you both!

« Reply #3958 on: February 05, 2010, 10:34:39 AM »

Nite monkeys. Have a great evening. I am going to finish watching Bones and go to bed. Hope you stay warm and safe.  an angelic monkey Sleep well.
Me too, I've never seen Bones before, but it's on after NCIS, and before Burn Notice. I love the shows with hot chicks and guns...I want to be Ziva!!!! Monkey Devil!
who is ziva Tevye?

My JSM Begging for Ban Button Blog: http://scaredmonkeys.net/index.php?topic=5458.0

<a href="http://www.oneplusyou.com/bb/files/countdown/countdown.swf?co=000080&amp;bgcolor=FFFFFF&amp;date_month=01&amp;date_day=20&amp;date_year=1&amp;un=OBAMA IS OUT!&amp;size=small&amp;mo=01&amp;da=20&amp;yr=2013" target="_blank">http://www.oneplusyou.com/bb/files/countdown/countdown.swf?co=000080&amp;bgcolor=FFFFFF&amp;date_month=01&amp;date_day=20&amp;date_year=1&amp;un=OBAMA IS OUT!&amp;size=small&amp;mo=01&amp;da=20&amp;yr=2013</a>
joesamas mama
Monkey Mega Star

Patton is my babe. RIP my Josef I love you both!

« Reply #3959 on: February 05, 2010, 10:35:36 AM »

Glad to hear about your friend's pup  an angelic monkey
  an angelic monkey Thanks No Rose. I am happy too.

My JSM Begging for Ban Button Blog: http://scaredmonkeys.net/index.php?topic=5458.0

<a href="http://www.oneplusyou.com/bb/files/countdown/countdown.swf?co=000080&amp;bgcolor=FFFFFF&amp;date_month=01&amp;date_day=20&amp;date_year=1&amp;un=OBAMA IS OUT!&amp;size=small&amp;mo=01&amp;da=20&amp;yr=2013" target="_blank">http://www.oneplusyou.com/bb/files/countdown/countdown.swf?co=000080&amp;bgcolor=FFFFFF&amp;date_month=01&amp;date_day=20&amp;date_year=1&amp;un=OBAMA IS OUT!&amp;size=small&amp;mo=01&amp;da=20&amp;yr=2013</a>
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.