May 14, 2024, 09:09:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Natalee Case Discussion #832 4/22/10 - 6/2/10  (Read 713055 times)
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1300 on: June 01, 2010, 12:45:26 PM »

Has anybody heard or read whether the Kalpoes appeared for deposition in regards to the defamation lawsuit against Phil McGraw?

TIA

Janet

Not yet.  I don't think we'll find out unless something is filed.  They won't be going to court for their depositions it will be in the lawyers office or even a hotel, I'm sure.
Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1301 on: June 01, 2010, 01:31:42 PM »

Has anybody heard or read whether the Kalpoes appeared for deposition in regards to the defamation lawsuit against Phil McGraw?

TIA

Janet

Not yet.  I don't think we'll find out unless something is filed.  They won't be going to court for their depositions it will be in the lawyers office or even a hotel, I'm sure.

Thanks Klaas.

I thought a deposition took place before a judge.  What exactly is a deposition all about?

TIA

Janet

Janet

Loving Natalee - Beth Holloway
Page 219: I have to make difficult choices every day.  I have to make a conscious decision every morning when I wake up not to be bitter, not to live in resentment and let anger control me.  It's not easy.  I ask God to help me.
_____

“A person of integrity expects to be believed and when he’s not, he let’s time prove him right.” -unknown
Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1302 on: June 01, 2010, 01:47:56 PM »

TIA

Janet

Thanks Klaas.

I thought a deposition took place before a judge.  What exactly is a deposition all about?

TIA

Janet

deposition n. the taking and recording of testimony of a witness under oath before a court reporter, in a place away from the courtroom before trial. A deposition is part of permitted pre-trial discovery (investigation), set up by an attorney for one of the parties to a lawsuit demanding the sworn testimony of the opposing party (defendant or plaintiff), a witness to an event, or an expert intended to be called at trial by the opposition. If the person requested to testify (deponent) is a party to the lawsuit or someone who works for an involved party, notice of time and place of the deposition can be given to the other side's attorney, but if the witness is an independent third party, a subpena must be served on him/her if he/she is reluctant to testify. The testimony is taken down by the court reporter, who will prepare a transcript if requested and paid for, which assists in trial preparation and can be used in trial either to contradict (impeach) or refresh the memory of the witness, or be read into the record if the witness is not available.

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/deposition

Page 219: I have to make difficult choices every day.  I have to make a conscious decision every morning when I wake up not to be bitter, not to live in resentment and let anger control me.  It's not easy.  I ask God to help me.
_____

“A person of integrity expects to be believed and when he’s not, he let’s time prove him right.” -unknown
2NJSons_Mom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #1303 on: June 01, 2010, 02:11:28 PM »

TIA

Janet

Thanks Klaas.

TIA

Janet

deposition n. the taking and recording of testimony of a witness under oath before a court reporter, in a place away from the courtroom before trial. A deposition is part of permitted pre-trial discovery (investigation), set up by an attorney for one of the parties to a lawsuit demanding the sworn testimony of the opposing party (defendant or plaintiff), a witness to an event, or an expert intended to be called at trial by the opposition. If the person requested to testify (deponent) is a party to the lawsuit or someone who works for an involved party, notice of time and place of the deposition can be given to the other side's attorney, but if the witness is an independent third party, a subpena must be served on him/her if he/she is reluctant to testify. The testimony is taken down by the court reporter, who will prepare a transcript if requested and paid for, which assists in trial preparation and can be used in trial either to contradict (impeach) or refresh the memory of the witness, or be read into the record if the witness is not available.

I've watched a little of those TV court cases and have noted that the judge will often refer to the depositions while questioning the prosecution or defendant in the hearing.  Many times contradictory statements will be made to the signed, written depositions which have held weight when the judge makes a decision.  (by no means am I comparing Judge Judy, or the others on TV to this case...just an observation    )

R.I.P Dear 2NJ - say hi to Peaches for us!

I expect a miracle _Peaches ~ ~ May She Rest In Peace.

SOMEONE KNOWS THE TRUTH  

None of us here just fell off the turnip truck. - Magnolia
Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1304 on: June 01, 2010, 02:52:47 PM »

Thanks 2NJ

Off for the afternoon but ... will check in later anticipating updates.

Janet
11:55 AM PT

_____

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1305 on: June 01, 2010, 04:49:42 PM »

I just checked the LA Superior Court site for any new documents filed and nothing yet.  I'm hoping what we will see is somethng filed by the defense that K2's did not show for the court ordered depositions June 1. 
texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

ARUBA: It's all about Natalee...we won't give up!

« Reply #1306 on: June 01, 2010, 05:18:42 PM »

I just checked the LA Superior Court site for any new documents filed and nothing yet.  I'm hoping what we will see is somethng filed by the defense that K2's did not show for the court ordered depositions June 1. 

Thanks for checking Klaas!   

I stand with the girl, Natalee Holloway.

"I can look back over the past 10 years and there were no steps wasted, and there are no regrets,'' she said. "I did all I knew to do and I think that gives me greater peace now." "I've lived every parent's worst nightmare and I'm the parent that nobody wants to be," she said.

Beth Holloway, 2015 interview with Greta van Susteren
Lifesong
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1307 on: June 01, 2010, 05:50:08 PM »

TIA

Janet

Thanks Klaas.

TIA

Janet

I've watched a little of those TV court cases and have noted that the judge will often refer to the depositions while questioning the prosecution or defendant in the hearing.  Many times contradictory statements will be made to the signed, written depositions which have held weight when the judge makes a decision.  (by no means am I comparing Judge Judy, or the others on TV to this case...just an observation    )

I had to give a deposition in a work-related case a few years ago.  Our company's attorney had arranged for the deposition to take place at his office rather than the opposing counsel's office.  It took place in a typical executive conference room.  In the room were our attorney, the opposing counsel, the court reporter and myself as I recall.  There may have been a couple of other attorneys present but that would be it.  No one else from our company was in the room.  I took an oath to tell the truth, of course, and the questioning began with the basics, i.e. my name, my position on the Board, length of service, etc.

The deposition itself lasted most of the day and was more conversational than combative.  The opposing counsel asked questions and I answered them.  I had been prepped for the deposition the day before and knew to only answer the question asked and not to offer extra information in my answers that would/could lead to other questions.  We weren't sure how long it would take or if I would need to return the next day to continue.  I'd had to travel to the city our attorney was located in and had planned to stay for several days just in case.  It turned out we were able to complete it in the one day, though it went later then typical office hours. 

Within a few days we received from our attorney a copy of the transcript of the deposition which was several pages long and was a true and accurate representation of all of the questions I was asked and the responses I had given.

TM has it right, when the case went to trial my testimony in court was compared to my deposition and I was asked questions on the stand pertaining to my deposition.  As in any situation, so long as one tells the truth there is nothing to worry about.  Smile 

I doubt the Kalpoes are capable of telling the truth, either in a deposition or in court.

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."  - Galileo
texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1308 on: June 01, 2010, 06:01:38 PM »

http://www.aolnews.com/crime/article/natalee-holloways-mom-keeps-focus-on-action-not-anniversary/19499348

Natalee's Mom Keeps Focus on Action, Not Anniversary

Updated: 21 minutes ago
Print Text Size
EmailMore

David Lohr
Contributor

(June 1) -- This past spring, like so many others before it, has been a difficult one for Beth Holloway. But she's never given up hope of finding her daughter Natalee, who disappeared five years ago this May, and she continues to devote time to helping others along the way.

"[I've] made it my life's work every day to represent Natalee to speak on behalf of her," Holloway said in an interview on the "Today" show on Sunday, the anniversary of her daughter's disappearance.

"I know, five years -- it is hard to imagine it has been that long. But I still feel that there is a potential for information ... to come, so I still have hope that at some point we will have [answers]," Holloway said.

Natalee Holloway, 18, from Mountain Brook, Ala., disappeared May 30, 2005, while on a trip to Aruba to celebrate her high school graduation. Her body has never been found.

Holloway's classmates said they last saw her leaving an Oranjestad nightclub called Carlos 'n Charlie's with Joran van der Sloot, then a 17-year-old Dutch honors student living in Aruba, and his two friends, Surinamese brothers Deepak and Satish Kalpoe. All three young men were arrested, but they were released without charge.

From the outset, van der Sloot allegedly has made multiple confessions in the case, each varying significantly. As a result, Aruban prosecutors have deemed them a mixture of "lies and fantasy" and have decided not to take action against him.

Beth Holloway said she puts little stock in van der Sloot's individual confessions -- the latest of which came to light in February -- and pays more attention to the one constant detail that can be found in each of them.

"[He] has always placed himself as the last person seen with Natalee alive. ... So that is our one continuous thread," Holloway said.

Holloway has also had to deal with a lot of false hopes in her daughter's case. The numerous searches in Aruba all ended without turning up new clues, while other incidents -- such as false sightings and a recent underwater search prompted by a photograph of possible human remains -- have compounded the disappointment.

But rather than dwell on details of the case, which she has no control over, Holloway is focused on her recent partnership with Mayday 360, a company that helps families in crisis, and the launching of the Natalee Holloway Resource Center in Washington, D.C. Those two projects, she said, have helped her redefine her life.

The Natalee Holloway Resource Center website is still under construction; however, its welcome page states that the nonprofit's focus will be on educational programs, safe travel and crime prevention, along with support for families of missing persons.

"The NHRC also provides families of missing persons with an action plan, missing poster templates, contacts, resources and handles press releases and media reach," the website reads.

The resource center, which is scheduled to open June 8, will be located in the National Museum of Crime and Punishment in downtown Washington.

"In creating this organization, we hope to prevent as many missing-person cases as possible," Holloway said.

Holloway said she will also continue to visit high schools and colleges to educate students about the dangers of overseas travel and to remind them of Natalee's story.

So while each year that goes by is difficult, Holloway says the anniversary of her daughter's disappearance is no more significant than any other day she has faced since Natalee disappeared.

"I try not to get too caught up in a specific mark," Holloway said.
Filed under: Nation, Crime

"I can look back over the past 10 years and there were no steps wasted, and there are no regrets,'' she said. "I did all I knew to do and I think that gives me greater peace now." "I've lived every parent's worst nightmare and I'm the parent that nobody wants to be," she said.

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1309 on: June 01, 2010, 06:15:45 PM »

http://www.8weekly.nl/artikel/8448/geen-titel.html

Literary magazines

21. Cold Blood

by Erik Meijers
June 1, 2010

Peter R. de Vries has spent a broadcast, Hendrik Jan Korterink wrote a book and in No. 9 of the 'true crime magazine " Cold Blood , we can now for publication of this book ( Real men do eat cheese ) to read.

The story about Mary and her loverboy Mustard is currently being discussed again. What is true and what is up? The latter is immediately the subject of the recent edition of Cold Blood . The ninth issue of this magazine is completely focused on the phenomenon pseudologia fantastica: an irresistible urge to invent stories.

Literary
Cold Blood is a publication of New Amsterdam and publishing the form of (literary) magazines such as Hard Gras (football literature) and The Wall (cycling literature). The cover, however, more like a cover of Private o f Story than a literary magazine. And it also sets the tone for the content of the magazine. Here we find not so much literary tales of crime as a theme, but mainly journalistic articles about criminal activity.

If we the literary aspect, however, simply forget and focus on the journalistic stories in the magazine, we find soon many interesting articles about famous visionaries in our national history. Naturally, Joran van der Sloot along, but politicians like Tara Singh Varma and scientist Prof. (Dr.) Anthonie Stolk reviewed. Cold Blood presents a colorful palette of scammers, swindlers and above all dreamers.

The psyche
, combined with the essay by psychologist Harald Merckelbach, these articles an interesting picture of the phenomenon pseudolgia fantastica . The evoked astonishment and disbelief about how these fantasists spin their lies makes fascinating reading material on. Especially in combination with the apparent simplicity which the area is then let this fool is. To return again to read the bizarre stories of Jolanda B. in the Diskeeper incest affair has been shocking. How were the often baseless statements Jolanda ever be believed?

Just the psychological interaction between the dreamer and the surrounding area is extremely interesting to understand. And in this edition of Cold Blood are many such examples can be found. That makes the whole a very interesting magazine on the psyche of man. Although not the pretended literary manner, but certainly in a responsible journalistic way. To get to other known fantasist "Believe it or not!"

2NJSons_Mom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #1310 on: June 01, 2010, 06:16:52 PM »

TIA

Janet

Thanks Klaas.

TIA

Janet

I had to give a deposition in a work-related case a few years ago.  Our company's attorney had arranged for the deposition to take place at his office rather than the opposing counsel's office.  It took place in a typical executive conference room.  In the room were our attorney, the opposing counsel, the court reporter and myself as I recall.  There may have been a couple of other attorneys present but that would be it.  No one else from our company was in the room.  I took an oath to tell the truth, of course, and the questioning began with the basics, i.e. my name, my position on the Board, length of service, etc.

The deposition itself lasted most of the day and was more conversational than combative.  The opposing counsel asked questions and I answered them.  I had been prepped for the deposition the day before and knew to only answer the question asked and not to offer extra information in my answers that would/could lead to other questions.  We weren't sure how long it would take or if I would need to return the next day to continue.  I'd had to travel to the city our attorney was located in and had planned to stay for several days just in case.  It turned out we were able to complete it in the one day, though it went later then typical office hours. 

Within a few days we received from our attorney a copy of the transcript of the deposition which was several pages long and was a true and accurate representation of all of the questions I was asked and the responses I had given.

TM has it right, when the case went to trial my testimony in court was compared to my deposition and I was asked questions on the stand pertaining to my deposition.  As in any situation, so long as one tells the truth there is nothing to worry about.  Smile 

I doubt the Kalpoes are capable of telling the truth, either in a deposition or in court.

Thank you, Lifesong, for sharing your first hand experience.  When I posted about the TV cases, that really was all I was familiar with, but imagined that it was the norm in most cases. 

Your comment about telling the truth rings so true, and the thought of the Kalpoes recalling the facts after 5 years would leave room for a lot of embellishment or lack of, I would think....and they've had 5 years to be prepped!   (excluding instructions on how to file for a Visa    )

SOMEONE KNOWS THE TRUTH  

Lifesong
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1311 on: June 01, 2010, 06:24:55 PM »

ACK!!

2NJ - I did it again! 

I can only hope that both you and TM can consider it a compliment when I confuse the two of you as I seem to insist on doing.  It should be obvious by now that I hold you both in the highest regard.

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."  - Galileo
2NJSons_Mom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #1312 on: June 01, 2010, 08:17:22 PM »

ACK!!

2NJ - I did it again! 

I can only hope that both you and TM can consider it a compliment when I confuse the two of you as I seem to insist on doing.  It should be obvious by now that I hold you both in the highest regard.

No worries...you're up there on my list, too!....I can't light a candle to TM......I'm sleeping and she's still posting news.   

SOMEONE KNOWS THE TRUTH  

Ono
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1313 on: June 01, 2010, 08:42:35 PM »

Beth on the Today show:

<object width="620" height="445" id="msnbcbfe08" classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=10,0,0,0"><param name="movie" value="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32545640"><param name="FlashVars" value="launch=37424582&width=620&height=445"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="wmode" value="opaque" /><embed name="msnbcbfe08" src="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32545640" width="620" height="445" FlashVars="launch=37424582&width=620&height=445" allowscriptaccess="always" allowFullScreen="true" wmode="opaque" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"></embed></object><p style="font-size:11px; font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: #999; margin-top: 5px; background: transparent; text-align: center; width: 420px;">Visit msnbc.com for <a style="text-decoration:none !important; border-bottom: 1px dotted #999 !important; font-weight:normal !important; height: 13px; color:#5799DB !important;" href="http://www.msnbc.msn.com">breaking news</a>, <a href="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032507" style="text-decoration:none !important; border-bottom: 1px dotted #999 !important; font-weight:normal !important; height: 13px; color:#5799DB !important;">world news</a>, and <a href="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032072" style="text-decoration:none !important; border-bottom: 1px dotted #999 !important; font-weight:normal !important; height: 13px; color:#5799DB !important;">news about the economy</a></p>

Thank you--I missed seeing it.  Beth is an inspiration.
Ono
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1314 on: June 01, 2010, 08:54:52 PM »

Me too-thank you for checking.
MisGivings
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #1315 on: June 01, 2010, 09:38:01 PM »

TIA

Janet

Thanks Klaas.

TIA

Janet

I would like to see those little $hitheads go in front of Judge Judy, even though we all know they could never man up to anything. I would really like to see them try their bull$hit on her.
Even our TV Judges are a million times better than any judge in Aruba could ever be.

You have to give Joran credit. He found a way to travel extensively without it costing him a dime.
Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1316 on: June 01, 2010, 09:51:49 PM »

Somehow I believe ... if the disputed segment of the Dr. Phil recording is not permitted to stand alone as evidence of defamation ... the Kalpoes' attorneys will allow the lawsuit to be dismissed.  There is no way that those behind this lawsuit (ATA/AHATA will allow the truth to be revealed through depositions or case documents ... the truth regarding the events encompassing the morning Natalee Holloway went missing.

I concede that could be wrong.

Janet

_____

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1317 on: June 01, 2010, 09:56:45 PM »

ACK!!

2NJ - I did it again! 

No worries...you're up there on my list, too!....I can't light a candle to TM......I'm sleeping and she's still posting news.   

I thought Lifesong had you confused with Tamikosmom!   

No worries here either, if she meant me!  In fact, I'm honored!   

I appreciated Lifesong's sharing her personal experience with a deposition also.  It confirmed what my thoughts were in regards to what takes place...but I've never been through one myself.

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1318 on: June 01, 2010, 10:25:08 PM »

O/T

http://www.amigoe.com/artman/publish/artikel_73286.php

Google translation:

St. Maarten

ANTILLES

American man dead under mysterious circumstances

June 1, 2010, 13:07 (GMT -04:00)

Philipsburg - Police have an American man under 'mysterious circumstances' found dead near Mary's Fancy on St. Maarten. A doctor who was on the spot could not say what the cause of death was Kevin Duggan Woods (32) born in the state of Nevada.

Woods had scratches and a few bruises suffered when he crawled through the bushes. The police were called by people who, for two hours at night a stranger for help heard calling while the bushes Amarullys Road to hill walking.

The police patrols who immediately went to see what was going on saw movement in the bushes but could not locate the man. The fact that the hard rain made the search more difficult. Eventually the fire department brought in to cut the bushes until they arrived at the spot where Woods was.

Paramedics tried to resuscitate Woods but could not. According to Woods residents were still alive when they saw him. He had said that three men chasing him. Prosecutor Rick Mud confirmed that autopsy is performed on the body of Woods to get behind the cause of death. Police found beside the body of Woods money, a Visa credit card and driving license.

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1319 on: June 01, 2010, 10:28:58 PM »

http://www.amigoe.com/artman/publish/artikel_73285.php

Google translation:

ANTILLES

St. Maarten

De Witte begins today as the new police chief

June 1, 2010, 13:06 (GMT -04:00)

The new chief of police Peter de Witte (left) spent yesterday morning a visit to Lieutenant-Governor Franklyn Richards (center). He was accompanied by outgoing police chief Ademar Doran (right)

Philipsburg - The new police chief for the corps of the Windward Islands (KPSSS) starts today. Peter de Witte was the first chief of police in Aruba and is considered the first official chief since former Police Chief Derrick Holiday was deposed after a fraudeschandaal. Holiday still trying to appoint the White counter.

De Witte visits the next few days various official bodies on the island including the courthouse and jail. He was officially sworn in next week for KPSSS. The police indicated that De Witte will also be reachable for comment and questions.

The fate of former police chief Holiday is today in the court in The Hague discussed. Holiday, the central government called for the appointment of his successor, De Witte stop until it was known what the court in The Hague states. The ruling is handed down Friday.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.