May 13, 2024, 04:08:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SANDRA CANTU, 8, missing since 3/27/09 Tracy, CA #1 3/28/09-4/09/09  (Read 366380 times)
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1360 on: April 07, 2009, 09:44:43 AM »

Update 1 a.m. Tuesday: Hunt for a killer begins in earnest       
Written by Eric Firpo and Justin Lafferty      
Monday, 06 April 2009

Tracy police announced Monday night that the body of Sandra Cantu was found in a suitcase; her mother, Maria Chavez, is taken by the ambulance to the hospital after she passes out; FBI agents continue searches.

Tracy police Chief Janet Thiessen (left) tells the media that Sandra Cantu’s body was found today. At her side is FBI Supervisor Special Agent Todd Irinaga from the Sacramento office. Glenn Moore/Tracy Press
The search for Sandra Cantu turned into a hunt for her killer Monday night after police announced the 8-year-old’s fully clothed body was found in a suitcase pulled from a drained irrigation pond on a north Tracy dairy.

The grisly discovery ended 11 days of a massive search in which hundreds of volunteers joined roughly 200 police and FBI agents to comb the city and countryside to find the Jacobson Elementary School second-grader.

But farmworkers on the Bacchetti and Silva dairy first saw the suitcase late this morning and called police to investigate the out-of-place piece of luggage that they said wasn’t there two weeks ago when the empty pond was filled with water, police said.

Police spokesman Sgt. Tony Sheneman said this morning it would take hours before investigators opened the suitcase, and it did. Though it’s unclear when it was that police knew Sandra was dead, the announcement that her body was in the suitcase came from police Chief Janet Thiessen at about 8:40 p.m. at a City Hall press conference.

Thiessen said that around 5:40 p.m., the bag was taken to a San Joaquin County morgue where it was opened to reveal Sandra’s body. Sheneman said that an autopsy will be performed soon to find more about the cause of death.

An American Medical Response Ambulance leaves the Orchard Estates Mobile Home Park Monday night after the announcement that Sandra Cantu's body had been found. Glenn Moore/Tracy Press
“This is an unimaginable loss for any parent and it’s a very difficult loss for our community,” Sheneman said.

The news in a text message sent rippling sobs of grief through a crowd of about two dozen gathered in front of the mobile home park for what has become a nightly candlelight vigil — and it certainly devastated a family that was clinging to hope that Sandra would come home safe and sound.

Dozens of people made their way to the vigil. On a tree near the entrance of the mobile home park, where friends, family and supporters gathered, rested signs of hope. The tree started with just a yellow ribbon, but soon letters, candles, flowers and stuffed animals made their way to it.

Crime scene tape rings the Clover Road Baptist Church Monday night as the interior is searched. The church is about three-forths of a mile from the Orchard Estates Mobile Home Park where Sandra Cantu disappeared. Glenn Moore/Tracy Press
“Everybody can come together here and show their support and help each other out,” Tracy resident Echo Dent, 19, said. “I can’t believe somebody would do that to a little girl.”

An impromptu circle formed, where the Rev. Doug Diestler of Grace Christian Church and Tracy resident Sam Leon led prayers.

“I didn’t need to know the family, because of just the love of being raised in this town and knowing that someone in this town is missing, that’s just enough to come into prayer,” Leon said. “(Sandra) showed the spirit of love. When she talked to people, she did it out of love. When she played with friends, she did it out of love.”

Tracy police seal off the Orchard Estates Mobile Home Park Monday as another home was searched following the announcement that Sandra Cantu had been found dead.

The family is left to make funeral arrangements for the happy-go-lucky girl last seen in surveillance video skipping in the sun past her home March 27 in the Orchard Estates Mobile Home Park, about 2 miles south of where the suitcase was found. She wore a pink Hello Kitty T-shirt and black leggings then, the same clothes she had on when investigators opened the suitcase.

Sandra’s mother, Maria Chavez, passed out when she heard the news and was taken to the hospital. Sandra’s father, Danny Cantu, a 37-year-old who lives in Mexico now and rarely saw his daughter, was on his way to the press conference at City Hall when he was called in to the police station. There, Thiessen shook his hand and told him his little girl was gone, said his friend, Gina Schnabel.

Sandra’s grandfather, Joe Chavez, had put up a surveillance camera after tires were slashed in what he suspected were run-ins with a neighbor over cats he trapped. Police have spent a lot of time focusing on Chavez’s neighbors as well, but now they’re looking for a murder suspect.

A caravan of FBI agents pulled into the mobile home park just before 10:30 p.m. Monday, though no announcements of an arrest was made. At about 11:45 p.m., agents pulled up to search the Clover Road Baptist Church Missionary Independent at 1100 W. Clover Road.

The search brings to five the number of homes that have been searched in the mobile home park, and at least four cars have been towed from there since search warrants were first obtained March 30, police said.

Three in the park have so far been tied to the investigation. Frank Wohler is a 60-year-old martial arts instructor who said he kissed Sandra on the lips at the park’s swimming pool two years ago. Christian Sinclair, 49, was arrested March 30 for interfering with police as they searched his home. And on Friday, David Slayter, 44, got in a car with police for an interview as they searched his home, though police made a point to say he was neither detained nor arrested.

“We will determine the person or persons responsible for this reprehensible act, and we will bring them to justice,” Thiessen said.

http://tracypress.com/content/view/17738/2268/

http://www.clover-road-baptist-church.com/Pastor1.html

lady
Scared Monkey

« Reply #1361 on: April 07, 2009, 10:00:58 AM »

Okay what does this church or Preacher have to do with this case??
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1362 on: April 07, 2009, 10:03:03 AM »

FBI agents pulled into the church last night.  The minister lives at space 57.  Other than that I don't know but the FBI is investigating AT LEAST the church. 
goodnmad
Monkey All Star Jr.

Good grief! It's Charlie Brown.

« Reply #1363 on: April 07, 2009, 10:03:03 AM »

so, the pastor of the church being searched lived in the same mobile home park? is that correct? 

I remember you, Caylee.
Kimmy53
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1364 on: April 07, 2009, 10:03:29 AM »

Blink...also, read my post about traveling and marking your suitcase with a ribbon for identifying....couldn't that be useful as well? thanks.
cookie - ITA, there are lots of folks who mark their luggage this way.  If that is indeed the case, I am hopeful that forensics will find hairs, etc. 

The church being searched has me curious.  I wonder if something was found inside the suitcase with the church name on it.

~Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising up everytime we fail~
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1365 on: April 07, 2009, 10:03:44 AM »

so, the pastor of the church being searched lived in the same mobile home park? is that correct? 

Yes
lady
Scared Monkey

« Reply #1366 on: April 07, 2009, 10:06:03 AM »

I dont know..Thats why I asked..I read there was an investagation going on there but wasnt sure what or who they are looking for.Or if thats maybe where the little girl attended church services or what...This is very very sad..
goodnmad
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1367 on: April 07, 2009, 10:07:20 AM »

Yes

Wow. Interesting ... I guess we'll see.

I remember you, Caylee.
Kimmy53
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1368 on: April 07, 2009, 10:08:51 AM »

FBI agents pulled into the church last night.  The minister lives at space 57.  Other than that I don't know but the FBI is investigating AT LEAST the church. 

Wow.  IIRC, there has been no mention of the minister- but I would assume he was questioned.  I wonder if Sandra attended church there. 

I am just guessing, but something found led the FBI back to the church.  It wasn't just random, and the timing makes me go hmmmmmm.

~Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising up everytime we fail~
cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1369 on: April 07, 2009, 10:13:18 AM »

Wow.  IIRC, there has been no mention of the minister- but I would assume he was questioned.  I wonder if Sandra attended church there. 

I am just guessing, but something found led the FBI back to the church.  It wasn't just random, and the timing makes me go hmmmmmm.

wasn't it reported that Sandra had gone back to her home on the day that she disappeared because she and her sisters were going to church and perhaps a movie..? was it this church?

cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1370 on: April 07, 2009, 10:16:10 AM »

Blink...also, read my post about traveling and marking your suitcase with a ribbon for identifying....couldn't that be useful as well? thanks.
cookie - ITA, there are lots of folks who mark their luggage this way.  If that is indeed the case, I am hopeful that forensics will find hairs, etc. 

The church being searched has me curious.  I wonder if something was found inside the suitcase with the church name on it.

could very well be...something took LE to that church...
hope that we find out soon .....the parents in that mobile home park are probably very on edge not knowing who is responsible for Sandra's death...how does one explain any of this to Sandra's friends? so fricking sad

goodnmad
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1371 on: April 07, 2009, 10:16:47 AM »

agree 100% ... the FBI doesn't act randomly. Must have been something there.

I remember you, Caylee.
pink angel
Monkey Junky

99% angel, 1% brat

« Reply #1372 on: April 07, 2009, 10:21:03 AM »

~snip~
Jose Chavez, the girl's grandfather, said he picked Sandra up from school about 2:45 p.m. Friday and brought her home. Her mother, grandmother and three siblings were at the house, he said.
When she got home, Sandra left to play with a little girl named Kassandra in a home across the trailer park.
The girls played on a wooden swing tied to a tree in front of the house. They sat on the stoop and scribbled with crayons. They went inside and watched some of the movie "Flubber."
Then Kassandra told her mother, Maria Diaz, that Sandra had to go home to do homework, the 36-year-old mother told The Record.
When Sandra arrived home - around 4 p.m., according to a surveillance camera attached to her house - she talked about going to CHURCH and a movie with her two older sisters, her grandfather said.
When the girls realized they didn't have enough money to go to a movie, Sandra left again to play, Chavez said.

http://www.recordnet.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090331/A_NEWS02/903310332/-1/A_NEWS

Justice for Nevaeh Facebook - http://www.fbook.me/justice4nevaeh
In Memory of Nevaeh Videos; http://bit.ly/nevaeh  http://bit.ly/nevaeh2
theboyzmom
Monkey Junky

Brandi is making sure I get around!

« Reply #1373 on: April 07, 2009, 10:34:34 AM »

If the minister was involved - or anyone else that is respected in the church, the penalty should be tripled. These are the people our kids are supposed to be able to trust. When you abuse that trust, death is too good for you. Slow painful daily rapes by Bubba are a much better choice. but then again if we put these animals away the first time with no chance of getting out there would not be a second time and the sickness in our world would cure itself. Yes I am evil sounding because I am TIRED of these monsters hurting a child and the whole world feels sorry for them when they can not get a job, find a place to live. As a landlord, I can not discriminate against them because they are a protected class - WTF?  I thought KIDS were to be protected? The world is screwed up and the most innocent pay the price.

We can never be sure that the opinion we are endeavoring to stifle is a false opinion; and if we were sure, stifling it would be an evil still. - John Stuart Mill On Liberty, 1859
- George Bernard Shaw
no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

Zoe you will always be in my heart and soul

« Reply #1374 on: April 07, 2009, 10:40:02 AM »

OMG, I was just going to ask about the church, and you answered me with the minister lives at space 57. I just don't know what to say, but I believe there will be an arrest soon, maybe that might help her family and friends some, as least I pray it will.
cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1375 on: April 07, 2009, 10:42:15 AM »

If the minister was involved - or anyone else that is respected in the church, the penalty should be tripled. These are the people our kids are supposed to be able to trust. When you abuse that trust, death is too good for you. Slow painful daily rapes by Bubba are a much better choice. but then again if we put these animals away the first time with no chance of getting out there would not be a second time and the sickness in our world would cure itself. Yes I am evil sounding because I am TIRED of these monsters hurting a child and the whole world feels sorry for them when they can not get a job, find a place to live. As a landlord, I can not discriminate against them because they are a protected class - WTF?  I thought KIDS were to be protected? The world is screwed up and the most innocent pay the price.

AGREED!

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1376 on: April 07, 2009, 10:42:32 AM »

OMG, I was just going to ask about the church, and you answered me with the minister lives at space 57. I just don't know what to say, but I believe there will be an arrest soon, maybe that might help her family and friends some, as least I pray it will.

They went to the church and the coincidence that bothers me is that THIS minister lives at space 57.  Maybe it's pertaining to a church member?  Maybe they think somenone might have confessed?  Maybe church pamphlet in the luggage that Sandra was found in? 
Blink34
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1377 on: April 07, 2009, 10:43:07 AM »

definately a possibility Cookie, yes
Edward
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1378 on: April 07, 2009, 10:48:02 AM »

Terrible situation and I feel so badly for the family..

Law enforcment should at least consider this while searching for the responsible party..

1. Body found 2 miles from the park in shallow water, when deep water "Delta river areas" and fast moving water "California aquaducts" is not far away. It was intended to be found. ? or
2. The cameras were put up because somebody was slashing tires on grandpa's vehicle.. Reason was because Grandpa was disposing of Pet Cats from the park.. Somebody was angry enough to slash tires.
3. She was fully clothed in the same clothes she was seen in on video.
4. The act appears juvenile or done by somebody with an IQ of 22.. probably within the park.

If a person had murdered this child and had the ability to do so I think they would have moved the suitcase to a far away location. It almost appears that a person could have pulled this suitcase without a vehicle and had very little mind in its final disposal..
It appears juvenile in nature..

I would at least give some consideration to the missing cats owners..
Angry teenager / tire slasher ? Limited ability to move a suitcase.. Did it have wheels ? was it dragged to this location or was it taken from a vehicle to this location.. If it was dragged, under 16 and if it was brought by vehicle, over 16 years of age.

Leroy
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1379 on: April 07, 2009, 10:55:53 AM »

Search Warrants Target Church Near Mobile Home Park Where Sandra Cantu Lived
Created by Brian Shields on 4/7/2009 9:58:57 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TRACY (KRON) -- Investigators searching for the killer of eight-year old Sandra Cantu are serving search warrants Tuesday morning at a church just an eighth of a mile away from the mobile home park where the girl lived.

Police strung crime scene tape around the Clover Road Baptist Church as investigators prepared to scour the property.  They're not saying right now how the church may be connected with the investigation.

The search warrants are being served just hours after police confirmed a body found in a suitcase at an irrigation pond about two miles from the church and mobile home park contained the child's remains.

Tracy Police Chief Janet Thiessen says Sandra was identified by the same clothes she was last seen in on March 27 – a pink “Hello Kitty” t-shirt and black leggings.

"Our heartfelt sympathies go to Sandra's family and friends," said Thiessen. "We will determine the person or persons responsible for this reprehensible act, and we will bring them to justice."

According to Sergeant Tony Sheneman, workers at a local dairy farm were preparing an irrigation pond for drainage on North Tracy Boulevard around 10 a.m. when they noticed the suitcase that floated to the surface. Workers knew of the search for Sandra and immediately called the San Joaquin County Sheriff’s Department, who then contacted Tracy police. Police and the FBI arrived around 10:30 a.m.

The large piece of rolling luggage was removed from the water around 5:40 p.m. and transported to the San Joaquin County morgue.

Sheneman says they spent hours in the area where the luggage was found, “We found lots of footprints and lots of tire tracks. I can’t say they will lead us anywhere.”
“This is an unimaginable loss for any parent,” Sheneman said.

Tracy police say they will release more information at a press conference Tuesday at 3:30 p.m.

Watch the KRON 4 news and stay with KRON4.com for more on this developing story.

Faith . . . it matters . . . it really does. ~ Sister
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.