May 17, 2024, 07:42:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who is Robert Malley?  (Read 2091 times)
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« on: November 07, 2008, 12:02:12 PM »

Robert Malley -

Robert Malley was born in 1963 to Barbara (née Silverstein) Malley, a New Yorker who worked for the United Nations delegation of the Algerian National Liberation Front, and her husband, Simon Malley (1923–2006), an Egyptian-born Jewish journalist who grew up in Egypt and worked as a foreign correspondent for Al Goumhourya, a newspaper linked closely to Gamal Abdul Nasser's government. The elder Malley spent time in New York, writing about international affairs, particularly about nationalist, anti-imperial movements in Africa, and made a key contribution by putting the FLN on the world map.[3]

In 1969, the elder Malley moved his family — including son Robert — to France, where he founded the magazine Africasia (later known as Afrique Asia), which gave voice to the causes of the newly-independent states such as Algeria and Egypt, and to liberation struggles throughout the world...[3]

According to Barack Obama's presidential campaign, Malley provided informal advice to the campaign in the past without having any formal role in the campaign.[7] On May 9, 2008, the campaign severed ties with Malley when the British Times reported that Malley had been in discussions with the militant Palestinian group Hamas, listed by the U.S. State Department as a terrorist organization.[7] In response, Malley told The Times he had been in regular contact with Hamas officials as part of his work with the International Crisis Group. "My job with the International Crisis Group is to meet with all sorts of savory and unsavory people and report on what they say. I've never denied whom I meet with; that's what I do," Malley told NBC News, adding that he informs the State Department about his meetings beforehand and briefs them afterward. [8] Malley has published many articles in which he calls upon the Israelis (and the international community) to bring Hamas to the negotiating table in order to secure an Israeli-Palestinian cease-fire and insure that any agreement reached with Palestinians will be respected by the Islamist movements in Palestinian society too (see Views Section).

read more here -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Malley

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2008, 12:05:11 PM »

Inside Today's Bulletin

In First Mideast Policy Initiative, Obama Sends Adviser To Egypt, Syria

By David Bedein, Middle East Correspondent
11/07/2008

Jerusalem - The Middle East Newsline has confirmed that Presidential-elect Barack Obama has dispatched his senior foreign policy adviser Robert Malley to Egypt and Syria to outline the Democrat's policy on the Middle East.

Mr. Malley, who served in the Clinton administration, relayed a pledge from Mr. Obama that the United States would seek to enhance relations with Cairo as well as reconcile differences with Damascus.

"The tenor of the messages was that the Obama administration would take into greater account Egyptian and Syrian interests," an aide to Mr. Malley said.

http://www.thebulletin.us/site/index.cfm?newsid=20191256&BRD=2737&PAG=461&dept_id=576361&rfi=8

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.