May 13, 2024, 02:21:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Monkey Musings Daily Open Discussion #7 9/30 - 10/24/2007  (Read 182778 times)
sharon
Monkey Junky

« Reply #160 on: October 02, 2007, 11:44:54 AM »

Sharon I posted this in the thread Sleeks started Wink

I saw that -- thanks!

I should have checked the 'missing persons' forum 

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world.  Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has!" Margaret Mead
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #161 on: October 02, 2007, 11:50:13 AM »

Yes, you did Mum.   I saw it and already commented on it too.  You know how to "bring things over" now.  

The fact that Mum posted this and Sharon also posted it says to me how concerned we are about this sort of thing happening.   

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #162 on: October 02, 2007, 11:52:07 AM »

I saw that -- thanks!

I should have checked the 'missing persons' forum 

You are a good monkey  You posted here so we would be sure to see it. 

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MumInOhio
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #163 on: October 02, 2007, 12:24:11 PM »

2 Little Girls Found Dead in Bathtub, Mother in Police Custody 

Last Edited: Monday, 01 Oct 2007, 10:24 PM EDT 
Created: Monday, 01 Oct 2007, 2:25 PM EDT 

Amber Hill was arrested Monday by Cleveland police in connection with the deaths of her two young daughters, 4-year-old Jannell Cintron (right) and 2-year-old Cesess Hill (left). SideBar

Related Items
Videos

Links
Cleveland Police Department

Stories
Contact Fox 8

CLEVELAND (AP) -- The father of two young girls pulled them from a bathtub Monday, where they apparently drowned, and their mother was arrested, police said.

Jamie Cintron, 23, told police he received a call at work from the girls' mother and she told him that the children "are at peace," said Cleveland police Lt. Thomas Stacho.

Cintron told police he went to the apartment and pulled the sisters, 4-year-old Jannell Cintron and 2-year-old Cesess Hill, from the water in the bathtub.

"Both my daughters are laying here dead! Why? Why are my daughters dead?" a weeping Cintron screamed into a telephone while making a 911 emergency call to police.

The girls' mother, Amber Hill, 22, was arrested at her apartment for further questioning. No charges had been filed, and she remained in jail Monday night.

Deondra Hurt, 19, who lives in the same two-story apartment building, said she heard the girls' father screaming and shouting.

She later went to the apartment and saw Hill "on a couch, and she was just sitting there. She was a nice girl. It's real sad."

Hill provided only her name, age and address, but would not answer further questions at the apartment, Stacho said. She was calm and showed no emotion when she was taken away by police, he said.

"At this point she's our only suspect," he said.

Stacho said the girls were placed on life support by a city medical services crew and were pronounced dead at MetroHealth Medical Center.

They apparently drowned, Stacho said.

Cause of death is pending autopsies Tuesday, said Dr. Frank Miller, Cuyahoga County coroner. He was trying to confirm the correct names of the victims. The coroner and police had various spellings of their first names.

Hurt said Hill had taken good care of the children.

"She always had her kids dressed up, with hair done every day," Hurt said. "She took care of them. They were well behaved kids. They played jump rope and would write on the ground with chalk."

This was all over the local news last night.  The father was devasted

MumInOhio
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #164 on: October 02, 2007, 12:29:34 PM »

Yes, you did Mum.   I saw it and already commented on it too.  You know how to "bring things over" now.  

The fact that Mum posted this and Sharon also posted it says to me how concerned we are about this sort of thing happening.   

MuffyBee...Thank You! There are some things that won't let me copy, like the excerpt on Beth's book this morning.(ie the copy is not highlighted)  Does that happen to you or is this something with my computer?  TIA
Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #165 on: October 02, 2007, 01:15:51 PM »

CBB,

Thank you for the background for my Halloween avatar.  I did save it but I have not decided if this is the one I want to keep using as I have several Halloween ones.

Was a great job, however, and I do have it.  Will post if this one turns out to be my fav.

Thanks again.

PERSONA NON GRATA

All posts reflect my opinion only and are not shared by all forum members nor intended as statement of facts.  I am doing the best I can with the information available.

Murder & Crime on Aruba Summary http://tinyurl.com/2nus7c
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #166 on: October 02, 2007, 01:37:30 PM »

Another day, another pervert  Rolling Eyes

Amber alert issued

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/breaking_news/story/257670.html

Sheriff: Sex offender has missing Fla. girl
Posted on Tue, Oct. 02, 2007

This photo released by the Florida Dept. of Law Enforcement shows 15-year-old Alyssa Frank, of Bartow. The man believed to be with the missing girl, William Joe Mitchell, 46, of Jacksonville, has a violent past with more than a dozen arrests and is a high-risk sex offender out on probation.

BARTOW -- (AP) -- A teenage girl is missing after she sneaked out of her house to rendezvous with a high-risk sex offender she met online, a sheriff said Tuesday.

Authorities issued an Amber Alert for Alyssa Frank, 15.

Polk County Sheriff Grady Judd pleaded with the public for any tips to find the suspect he identified as William Joe Mitchell, 46, of Jacksonville. Mitchell met the Bartow girl on Myspace.com and cultivated a relationship, Judd said.

''He lured her away and now he's got her, and we've got to have her back. Safely,'' Judd said. ``We are, as I've said before, incredibly concerned.''

Judd spoke to the offender he referred to as ``Billy Mitch.''

''Don't you dare hurt this young lady. Let her go,'' Judd said. ``Take her to a convenience store. A bus station. But let her go.''

Judd said he believed Mitchell might have taken her back to the Jacksonville area.

Judd said Alyssa sneaked out of her house about 3 a.m. Monday to meet Mitchell and was reported missing a little more than three hours later.

''We know, from all of the investigation up to this point, that they left together. Alyssa contacted some of her friends and said that she was running away,'' Judd said. 'When they asked, `Well, why are you running away?' she told them 'for love.' ''

Judd said Mitchell had 14 prior arrests on charges that include burglary, aggravated assault with a weapon, grand larceny, bomb threats, extortion and offense or offer of lewdness and lewd and lascivious behavior.

Judd urged residents to be on the lookout for Mitchell's black Chevrolet Lumina.

Alyssa has hazel eyes and brown hair and was last seen wearing a ''Tinkerbell'' shirt and black tennis shoes with checkered laces. Mitchell has several tattoos on his arms and fingers.

Alyssa found SAFE - suspect still at large
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #167 on: October 02, 2007, 01:41:40 PM »

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,298982,00.html

Online Videos Could Infect Computers With Viruses, Study Finds
Tuesday , October 02, 2007

ATLANTA  —

Online videos aren't just for bloopers and rants — some might also be conduits for malicious code that can infect your computer.

As anti-spam technology improves, hackers are finding new vehicles to deliver their malicious code. And some could be embedded in online video players, according to a report on Internet threats released Tuesday by the Georgia Tech Information Security Center as it holds its annual summit.

The summit is gathering more than 300 scholars and security experts to discuss emerging threats for 2008 — and their countermeasures.

Among their biggest foes are the ever-changing vehicles that hackers use to deliver "malware," which can silently install viruses, probe for confidential info or even hijack a computer.

"Just as we see an evolution in messaging, we also see an evolution in threats," said Chris Rouland, the chief technology officer for IBM Corp.'s Internet Security Systems unit and a member of the group that helped draft the report. "As companies have gotten better blocking e-mails, we see people move to more creative techniques."

With computer users getting wiser to e-mail scams, malicious hackers are looking for sneakier ways to spread the codes.

Over the past few years, hackers have moved from sending their spam in text-based messages to more devious means, embedding them in images or disguised as Portable Document Format, or PDF, files.

"The next logical step seems to be the media players," Rouland said.

There have only been a few cases of video-related hacking so far.

One worm discovered in November 2006 launches a corrupt Web site without prompting after a user opens a media file in a player. Another program silently installs spyware when a video file is opened. Attackers have also tried to spread fake video links via postings on YouTube.

That reflects the lowered guard many computer users would have on such popular forums.

"People are accustomed to not clicking on messages from banks, but they all want to see videos from YouTube," Rouland said.

Another soft spot involves social networking sites, blogs and wikis. These community-focused sites, which are driving the next generation of Web applications, are also becoming one of the juiciest targets for malicious hackers.

Computers surfing the sites silently communicate with a Web application in the background, but hackers sometimes secretly embed malicious code when they edit the open sites, and a Web browser will unknowingly execute the code.

These chinks in the armor could let hackers steal private data, hijack Web transactions or spy on users.

Tuesday's forum gathers experts from around the globe to "try to get ahead of emerging threats rather than having to chase them," said Mustaque Ahamad, director of the Georgia Tech center.

They are expected to discuss new countermeasures, including tighter validation standards and programs that analyze malicious code. Ahamad also hopes the summit will be a launching pad of sorts for an informal network of security-minded programmers.

MumInOhio
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #168 on: October 02, 2007, 01:51:42 PM »

Klaas ... are you still here?
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #169 on: October 02, 2007, 01:52:55 PM »

Klaas ... are you still here?

Yes, for a while.  What can I do for you?
MumInOhio
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #170 on: October 02, 2007, 01:57:40 PM »

If a poster has personal info on a thread should I email you or hit the report buttonso you can check if they want it left on.  I think at the time this was posted the poster may not have been aware that it is 'out there'
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #171 on: October 02, 2007, 02:02:49 PM »

If a poster has personal info on a thread should I email you or hit the report buttonso you can check if they want it left on.  I think at the time this was posted the poster may not have been aware that it is 'out there'

Do me a favor, I'm having some email problems...email the location, link to the thread at this email addy:

smklaas@hotmail.com

Thanks!

Edited to add:  The REPORT TO A MODERATOR function works great.  It will go to all of the moderators so if one isn't around the other can take care of the problem.  My problem is I won't get it right now because of my email problem.  Will only see it after I reboot my PC which takes a while to do (lot's of stuff on my PC as you might imagine). 
« Last Edit: October 02, 2007, 02:15:37 PM by klaasend » Logged
crazybabyborg
« Reply #172 on: October 02, 2007, 02:18:14 PM »

CBB,

Thank you for the background for my Halloween avatar.  I did save it but I have not decided if this is the one I want to keep using as I have several Halloween ones.

Was a great job, however, and I do have it.  Will post if this one turns out to be my fav.

Thanks again.

No problem, Anna! I just wanted to offer it to you, and I was having trouble tracking you down!  Wink
You'll look great whatever you decide!
MumInOhio
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #173 on: October 02, 2007, 02:20:18 PM »

Do me a favor, I'm having some email problems...email the location, link to the thread at this email addy:

smklaas@hotmail.com

Thanks!

Edited to add:  The REPORT TO A MODERATOR function works great.  It will go to all of the moderators so if one isn't around the other can take care of the problem.  My problem is I won't get it right now because of my email problem.  Will only see it after I reboot my PC which takes a while to do (lot's of stuff on my PC as you might imagine). 

Thanks Klaas..email sent Thanks for the info on the report button, I wondered if everyone would get it.
IBE
Monkey Junky

« Reply #174 on: October 02, 2007, 03:58:08 PM »

Well, I almost had Beth's book in my hand this morning.

Beware: Borders is charging at their stores, $24++ for Beth's book. They refused to listen when I told them it was $16++ across the country and $16 from their own store online.

I'd like to know from Monkeys at the book signing how much Barnes and Noble is charging at the store.

Borders just lost a long, long time buyer.

Freedom is not free: it also takes ethics, character, accountability, responsibility and courage! Freedom for Scared Monkeys: donate to Red's legal fees.
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #175 on: October 02, 2007, 04:06:39 PM »

Beware: Borders is charging at their stores, $24++ for Beth's book. They refused to listen when I told them it was $16++ across the country and $16 from their own store online.

I'd like to know from Monkeys at the book signing how much Barnes and Noble is charging at the store.

IBE I'm sorry Borders was using their Gouge-O-Matic Price List when you went to buy Beth's book.   Many people nowadays vote with their wallets, just as you are. 

MumInOhio
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #176 on: October 02, 2007, 04:12:05 PM »

Hi IBE..I thought Barnes&Noble was a little more expensive than $16 online,but don't quote me!
Do you have a Walmart close by? They may not be as expensive.
IBE
Monkey Junky

« Reply #177 on: October 02, 2007, 04:17:49 PM »

Thanks MuffyBee

You comments helped. I sort of did a rant there so don't expect they'd like to see me either!

Have to say, the cover of the book looked nice!

My personal boycotts can go on for years... like I have never seen a Jane Fonda movie or bought her cosmetics et al.

Freedom is not free: it also takes ethics, character, accountability, responsibility and courage! Freedom for Scared Monkeys: donate to Red's legal fees.
IBE
Monkey Junky

« Reply #178 on: October 02, 2007, 04:23:05 PM »

Oh I bought one via Borders/Amazon online yesterday for $16+ but I wanted one today so I could be "in" when Monkeys started talking about the book more tonight on the Natalee thread.

Guess my vanity to be "in" was blocked by my hard-headedness not to pay an extra $8. Then I had to pay for parking on top of getting nothing today.

I just in all my book buying 67 yrs. not ever had a price change like that.

One book seller last week there told me 16 and another a few days later told me $24 but I kept thinking it was an error and when the book arrived they would see it was $16+... guess not!

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #179 on: October 02, 2007, 04:31:43 PM »

Thanks MuffyBee

You comments helped. I sort of did a rant there so don't expect they'd like to see me either!

Have to say, the cover of the book looked nice!

My personal boycotts can go on for years... like I have never seen a Jane Fonda movie or bought her cosmetics et al.

thumright  That's right.  Vote with your wallet, vote with your feet.  Don't roll over and play dead.  Some may say it's just a small thing, but at the end of the day, it's YOUR small thing.  And many small things can turn into a big thing.   

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.