May 21, 2024, 12:42:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lively Case Discussion #659 7/17 - 7/19/2007  (Read 125023 times)
Rob
Monkey All Star

« Reply #700 on: July 19, 2007, 09:02:38 AM »

Quote from: "Nut44x4"
Quote from: "Rob"
Quote from: "klaasend"
Kindof freaking looking Rob...no offense  Laughing

I know that site is a riot...lol...

I'll prolly make a new one every day now. I get addicted to stuff like this. Laughing

OMG ROB......it's SHANGO!!

I changed it back....LOL

Truth, Justice and the American Way.

+++

~ livin' the life I was born to live - givin' it all I've got to give ~
robots
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #701 on: July 19, 2007, 09:04:25 AM »

Quote from: "blah"
Quote from: "Anna"
Quote from: "blah"
Maybe Lorenzo made off with Joran's shoes, what size you think he might wear?

I HEARD THAT, BLAH!  Just wanting you to know I caught you!

My lips are sealed on both subjects.  

Very Happy  Cool  Very Happy

Wink

its Robots fault!!!

Laughing  Cool

Shocked  Shocked  Shocked  Shocked

Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing

Man is kind enough when he is not excited by religion.
- A Horse's Tale
Rob
Monkey All Star

« Reply #702 on: July 19, 2007, 09:05:50 AM »

Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 04:38:24 -0700 (PDT)

http://tinyurl.com/2spqtc

Visitors bureau looks set to hire CEO at top pay

Palm Beach Post Staff Writer
Thursday, July 19, 2007
WEST PALM BEACH — Members of the county's Convention and Visitors Bureau are expected to choose their new leader today and offer a compensation package that rivals the pay of most top county government officials.
Jorge Pesquera, president and chief operating officer of the Aruba Hotel and Tourism Association, is the top choice of the bureau's search committee to serve as its CEO/president. The tourism bureau's full board of directors will decide today whether to formally offer him the job.
In hopes of luring Pesquera from his well-paying job, the bureau has put together a salary and bonus package that could bring his total pay to about $195,000 in his first year and more than $250,000 by his third.
In his first year on the job, Pesquera would make more than Deputy County Administrator Verdenia Baker, the county's second-in-command and the one responsible for overseeing the county's tourism-related agencies.
Bureau officials point to Pesquera's 30 years of experience in the travel and tourism industry. They also said they were impressed with how he handled himself during a crisis that played out in the national media.
Pesquera was head of Aruba's tourism agency in 2005 when American citizen Natalee Holloway disappeared while on a graduation trip there. On his résumé, he takes credit for playing "the key role in the establishment of the strategic communications task force, which worked behind the scenes to minimize the impact of the Holloway story and effectively stopped calls for boycott by some U.S. elected officials."
Pesquera, who officials say now makes about $250,000, would have to take a pay cut to come here. Officials have tentatively negotiated a three-year proposal that would bring Pesquera's pay to his current level by offering bonuses using the bureau's private accounts.
"I really believe this is a great choice," Roy Assad, the search committee's chairman, said of Pesquera. "I believe if you want to bring talent, you have to pay for it."
Pay increases and bonuses for the bureau's previous CEO, Warren "Mac" McLaughlin, were often controversial. McLaughlin was forced to retire in November when the bureau was in the midst of its nearly $1.6 million embezzlement scandal.
In 2005, the bureau spent nine months trying to boost McLaughlin's pay, saying he was underpaid compared with other CEOs in comparably sized bureaus. The original proposal called for McLaughlin to be eligible for a $46,000 bonus, which could have brought his annual pay higher than what County Administrator Bob Weisman was making at the time. After county commissioners balked, the bureau gave McLaughlin a much smaller bonus - around $13,800 - out of its private accounts.
The bureau's $10 million budget is largely paid for by bed taxes, a 5 percent tax visitors pay on hotel rooms. But as nonprofit, the agency also can generate private money through membership and board dues and participation fees.
An audit of the bureau last year by the clerk and comptroller's office took issue with the CEO's pay including a mix of public and private money. The audit found that the use of "private funds to increase county-approved compensation and benefits results in unapproved expenditures of county dollars." The audit concluded that the bureau wouldn't be able to generate private money if bed tax money didn't pay for operations at the bureau.
Palm Beach County Clerk and Comptroller Sharon Bock on Wednesday said she was concerned that the bureau planned to continue mixing private and public money and said the CEO's entire compensation package should be vetted by the county commission. Use of private money to compensate the bureau's CEO doesn't require commission approval.
Those who defend the compensation package say the position's pay is boosted largely by private money - and the amount of bed taxes used would be about the same McLaughlin would have received if he were still head of the bureau.
Supporters emphasized the bonuses would have to be earned.
County Commissioner Jeff Koons said the bonuses shouldn't be handed out automatically, as in the past, but rather the new CEO's performance should be evaluated and then a bonus given only if it's deserved.
"These are not going to be gifts," Koons said. "He's going to have to earn it."
Assad emphasized that if the board wasn't happy with the new CEO's performance, the contract could be terminated. McLaughlin wasn't under contract.
"We are no longer willing to accept mediocrity," Assad said. "He will be under a lot of pressure to perform."

+++

San
Super Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #703 on: July 19, 2007, 09:07:18 AM »

Visitors bureau looks set to hire CEO at top pay
By DEANA POOLE

Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Thursday, July 19, 2007

Audio = http://tinyurl.com/26e52t

WEST PALM BEACH — Members of the county's Convention and Visitors Bureau are expected to choose their new leader today and offer a compensation package that rivals the pay of most top county government officials.

Jorge Pesquera, president and chief operating officer of the Aruba Hotel and Tourism Association, is the top choice of the bureau's search committee to serve as its CEO/president. The tourism bureau's full board of directors will decide today whether to formally offer him the job.

More local news
Latest breaking news, photos and all of today's Post stories.

Share This Story

In hopes of luring Pesquera from his well-paying job, the bureau has put together a salary and bonus package that could bring his total pay to about $195,000 in his first year and more than $250,000 by his third.

In his first year on the job, Pesquera would make more than Deputy County Administrator Verdenia Baker, the county's second-in-command and the one responsible for overseeing the county's tourism-related agencies.

Bureau officials point to Pesquera's 30 years of experience in the travel and tourism industry. They also said they were impressed with how he handled himself during a crisis that played out in the national media.

Pesquera was head of Aruba's tourism agency in 2005 when American citizen Natalee Holloway disappeared while on a graduation trip there. On his résumé, he takes credit for playing "the key role in the establishment of the strategic communications task force, which worked behind the scenes to minimize the impact of the Holloway story and effectively stopped calls for boycott by some U.S. elected officials."

Pesquera, who officials say now makes about $250,000, would have to take a pay cut to come here. Officials have tentatively negotiated a three-year proposal that would bring Pesquera's pay to his current level by offering bonuses using the bureau's private accounts.

"I really believe this is a great choice," Roy Assad, the search committee's chairman, said of Pesquera. "I believe if you want to bring talent, you have to pay for it."

Pay increases and bonuses for the bureau's previous CEO, Warren "Mac" McLaughlin, were often controversial. McLaughlin was forced to retire in November when the bureau was in the midst of its nearly $1.6 million embezzlement scandal.

In 2005, the bureau spent nine months trying to boost McLaughlin's pay, saying he was underpaid compared with other CEOs in comparably sized bureaus. The original proposal called for McLaughlin to be eligible for a $46,000 bonus, which could have brought his annual pay higher than what County Administrator Bob Weisman was making at the time. After county commissioners balked, the bureau gave McLaughlin a much smaller bonus - around $13,800 - out of its private accounts.

The bureau's $10 million budget is largely paid for by bed taxes, a 5 percent tax visitors pay on hotel rooms. But as nonprofit, the agency also can generate private money through membership and board dues and participation fees.

An audit of the bureau last year by the clerk and comptroller's office took issue with the CEO's pay including a mix of public and private money. The audit found that the use of "private funds to increase county-approved compensation and benefits results in unapproved expenditures of county dollars." The audit concluded that the bureau wouldn't be able to generate private money if bed tax money didn't pay for operations at the bureau.

Palm Beach County Clerk and Comptroller Sharon Bock on Wednesday said she was concerned that the bureau planned to continue mixing private and public money and said the CEO's entire compensation package should be vetted by the county commission. Use of private money to compensate the bureau's CEO doesn't require commission approval.

Those who defend the compensation package say the position's pay is boosted largely by private money - and the amount of bed taxes used would be about the same McLaughlin would have received if he were still head of the bureau.

Supporters emphasized the bonuses would have to be earned.

County Commissioner Jeff Koons said the bonuses shouldn't be handed out automatically, as in the past, but rather the new CEO's performance should be evaluated and then a bonus given only if it's deserved.

"These are not going to be gifts," Koons said. "He's going to have to earn it."

Assad emphasized that if the board wasn't happy with the new CEO's performance, the contract could be terminated. McLaughlin wasn't under contract.

"We are no longer willing to accept mediocrity," Assad said. "He will be under a lot of pressure to perform."

http://tinyurl.com/2spqtc
ospainter
Monkey Junky

Grandson in Ireland

« Reply #704 on: July 19, 2007, 09:08:58 AM »

Thanks Rob,

Not a good way to start the morning.

OS

It's their lie they can tell it anyway they want.
Who, What, Where, When, How and Why
mrs. red
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #705 on: July 19, 2007, 09:14:03 AM »

I think all of Palm Beach's offices need to be sent the new FP link, mayor on down....

and rob you look much better... Laughing  Wink

To accomplish great things we must not only act but also dream, not only plan but also believe.
Author: Anatole
San
Super Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #706 on: July 19, 2007, 09:14:46 AM »

Quote from: "ospainter"
Thanks Rob,

OS

Here is an audio link = http://tinyurl.com/26e52t
mrs. red
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #707 on: July 19, 2007, 09:14:47 AM »

Quote from: "mrs. red"
I think all of Palm Beach's offices need to be sent the new FP link, mayor on down....

red has written an article on this new development...

To accomplish great things we must not only act but also dream, not only plan but also believe.
ospainter
Monkey Junky

Grandson in Ireland

« Reply #708 on: July 19, 2007, 09:15:09 AM »

I would like to give him a bonus.

Palm beach co. just lost a visitor.

OS

Rob
Monkey All Star

« Reply #709 on: July 19, 2007, 09:15:34 AM »

Thanks Rob,

OS

No it's not OS. I get a big kick out the government hacks that are always saying "the people have spoken", apparently thats only for issues they want. Otherwise we're a bunch of idiots.

After all the heat this generated, you would think they would look else where, but NOOOOOO they dug their heals in.

8-0 was the initial vote.

In the grand scheme of things, Palm Beach Florida is not a top destination... but allows Aruba to keep their obstructer close by Miami.

+++

Rob
Monkey All Star

« Reply #710 on: July 19, 2007, 09:17:37 AM »

Quote from: "mrs. red"

Thanks Mrs... LOL..

You know we used to have a house their til last year..... looks like it was the right move...

Palm Beach is not known for the 'rocket scientists' in local government.

+++

San
Super Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #711 on: July 19, 2007, 09:18:52 AM »

Quote from: "Rob"
Thanks Rob,

OS

No it's not OS. I get a big kick out the government hacks that are always saying "the people have spoken", apparently thats only for issues they want. Otherwise we're a bunch of idiots.

After all the heat this generated, you would think they would look else where, but NOOOOOO they dug their heals in.

8-0 was the initial vote.

In the grand scheme of things, Palm Beach Florida is not a top destination... but allows Aruba to keep their obstructer close by Miami.

At the final year of his contract his pay will be $250,000. + Bonus

How much you want to bet he is being paid even more under the table.
yapperz1
Monkey Junky

« Reply #712 on: July 19, 2007, 09:19:02 AM »

Good Morning Monkeys

OS  Palm Beach County just lost 5 more visitors as my family won't be traveling there either.

I STAND WITH THE GIRL, NATALEE HOLLOWAY

ARUBA
ospainter
Monkey Junky

Grandson in Ireland

« Reply #713 on: July 19, 2007, 09:21:25 AM »

And we wonder what is happening to our country.

Don't have to look too far.

This just grates on my last nerve.

You don't reward someone for bad behavior.

OS

Rob
Monkey All Star

« Reply #714 on: July 19, 2007, 09:21:43 AM »

His 'bonus' amounts to a little more than 10K per quarter.

It's like Palm Beach got on their hands and knees and groveled. What a bunch of losers.

There are a lot of other qualified people that would have done the job for the 196K without the extra 10K.

196K is still alot of money.

Apparently no allegiance to the people of Palm Beach. But they are prolly totally unaware that this issue has even taken place.

+++

SunFreak2
Monkey Junky

« Reply #715 on: July 19, 2007, 09:25:30 AM »

Doesn't Donald Trump have a house in West Palm Beach?  Let the Donald loose on him.   Laughing  Laughing  Laughing
Easywriter
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #716 on: July 19, 2007, 09:25:51 AM »

Oh the humanity...... hot dog chili sauce recalled!  Sad
mrs. red
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #717 on: July 19, 2007, 09:26:36 AM »

So I say inform them... send the links to the mayor, everyone...the chamber of commerce anybody everybody... let them know that no one wants to travel where bad behavior is rewarded...

Rob
Monkey All Star

« Reply #718 on: July 19, 2007, 09:26:52 AM »

For me it's the disingenuous way Palm Beach SELLS Pesquera. Like what he did during Natalee's case was somehow a badge of honor to these morons.

Truly repulsive. They were warned and can't say they had no idea. And by the way, why is it our job to do thei back ground check?

+++

Rob
Monkey All Star

« Reply #719 on: July 19, 2007, 09:27:36 AM »

Quote from: "Easywriter"
Oh the humanity...... hot dog chili sauce recalled!  Sad

certainly must have come from China.  Laughing

+++

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.