March 28, 2024, 05:07:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FRED THOMPSON ANYONE?  (Read 6794 times)
crazybabyborg
« on: March 28, 2007, 05:52:55 PM »

Does it seem to anyone else that this is a really strange pre-primary season? I wouldn't have thought that anyone could have threatened a serious run by Hillary: much less within her own party. That's not quite as sure as I thought with Obama in the picture.

On the Republican side, I thought that once Gulliani threw his hat in the ring, if Republicans stood a chance for a decent showing in the Presidential election, it just might rest with him.

I'm not so sure about that at this point, either! Fred Thompson might fit that call better than Gulliani. I'm going to have to educate myself about Thompson, should he step up to the plate, but in the meantime, I was curious about what the monkey think tank has to say about the prospect of a Thompson campaign.
justinsmama
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2007, 07:35:07 PM »

It is unexpected, isn't it? But I also think that it is great! The more awsome people from whom we have to choose, the better off our nation will be.

LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2007, 09:35:27 PM »

Hi Anna,

I'm not very familiar with Fred Thompson but I don't think he can compete with the major candidates.

Hope is everything. I see angels everywhere.
Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2007, 09:56:50 PM »

Louise,

This is not me but CrazyBabyBorg posting about Fred Thompson.  He was a Senator from Tennessee and is that guy in Law and Order and also several movies.  Has a nice authoritarian presence.  I believe he was well respected in the senate.

With his Hollywood connection, I am surprised you don't recognize him!

I don't really have a fav candidate as yet.  Would like to know more about Duncan Hunter.

Plenty of time left to find out, I suppose.

CBB, basically, I do like Fred!

PERSONA NON GRATA

All posts reflect my opinion only and are not shared by all forum members nor intended as statement of facts.  I am doing the best I can with the information available.

Murder & Crime on Aruba Summary http://tinyurl.com/2nus7c
GreatOwl
Monkey Junky

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2007, 08:42:12 AM »

I do not know much about his politics.  I will need to find out more about that.  I have always liked him and not just on Law and Order.  I have seen him speak on television and his communication skills are impressive.  We shall just need to wait and see how this plays out.

"May you have the hindsight to know where you've been,
 the foresight to know where you're going and
 the insight to know when you've gone too far."
LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2007, 09:07:21 PM »

Dear Anna,

My apologies. Duh. It was another of those blonde old-timers moment. I'm doin' the best I can and will read more carefully.

Honey, I don't watch much TV but I do know about Law and Order. It's a good program but I don't remember Thompson.

Louise

Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2007, 09:18:28 PM »

The Mysterious Appeal of Fred Thompson

New Article about Thompson.

http://tinyurl.com/29jn5q

I would also like to know more about Duncan Hunter.

PERSONA NON GRATA

All posts reflect my opinion only and are not shared by all forum members nor intended as statement of facts.  I am doing the best I can with the information available.

LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2007, 11:44:29 PM »

Fred Thompson announced yesterday that he has lymphoma. When being interviewed on FOX, he said it was in remission. Lymphoma is a type of cancer, eventually deadly. Some pundits interviewed MDs who generally said it would not be good for him to run for the presidency because in order to stay in remission, he has to take a lot of drugs and chemo treatments as necessary.

God bless him. This made me really sad.

nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2007, 10:34:13 AM »

Louise,

He does have the non-Hodgkins type of lymphoma which used to be a death sentence but if caught early and it's also one of those cancers that stem cell treatments are highly recommended for - you can have remissions which last for a decade and a few are cured in this day and age. I only know as much as I do for I have a dear friend whose husband lost his battle with it at 39, another good female friend who lost her battle with it at 42, and another good friend who won the battle but she had best of breed early treatments.

I continue to stand with the girl.
mrs. red
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2007, 09:40:08 PM »

Well from what I read in the Nashville paper... I read it everyday so I can speak with family...ha - Thompson's cancer means nothing... people are as excited as they can be about him...

Since I don't live in TN I don't know of his record there first hand, but in the paper they tout him as the next Regan... they love him... and he is incredibly knowledgable and I am getting excited about him...

from what I read, he is down to earth and as pragmatic and smart as they come...

he gets it on every front... terrorism, keeping the economy going,

he seems to be what we need!

To accomplish great things we must not only act but also dream, not only plan but also believe.
Author: Anatole
LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2007, 11:18:13 PM »

He's a nice man. I don't know much about him. But with lymphoma, I doubt he will win the nomination. Guiliani and Romney are way ahead in the polls. It's not a good idea to elect someone whose health is so chancy. What if he relapses? Ya just cannot have a president who will probably need chemo again within the next eight years.

mrs. red
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2007, 10:47:01 AM »

Quote from: "LouiseVargas"
He's a nice man. I don't know much about him. But with lymphoma, I doubt he will win the nomination. Guiliani and Romney are way ahead in the polls. It's not a good idea to elect someone whose health is so chancy. What if he relapses? Ya just cannot have a president who will probably need chemo again within the next eight years.

I disagree.... he is in full remission and has been for over 14 years.  I think once he announces his candidacy he will go far....

To accomplish great things we must not only act but also dream, not only plan but also believe.
Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2007, 11:47:29 PM »

My brother in law has non Hodgkin's Lymphoma and did treatment at Vanderbilt.  I hope Thompson did his there as well for he is claiming a cure.  It's been about ten years now and he is still symptom free, my BIL.  

He volunteered for experimental treatment at Vandy about five or six years ago.  I am hoping since it is in Nashville that Thompson had the same course of treatment because it seems to have worked for my BIL who has no symptoms currently.

It was all chemo as I recall.  Since it was experimental, I have no idea what he was given but we are just thankful for it.

Hope Thompson has the same results and feel since in same state, he just may have opted for the identical treatment as well.

PERSONA NON GRATA

LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2007, 08:47:07 PM »

Mrs. Red wrote re Fred Thompson:
I disagree.... he is in full remission and has been for over 14 years. I think once he announces his candidacy he will go far....

If he is in full remission for over 14 years, then why was it necessary for him to go on all the talk shows and announce he has lymphoma? Why bring it up if it is of no concern?

Tylergal
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2007, 09:02:40 PM »

Maybe he was just putting it all out there to see how the public would deal with it.  

On the other hand, John Edwards and his wife announced she had stage IV cancer, which she did not, never has had.  That was so strange to me that they would say that and then the next day retract it and say it was not that bad.  

Rudy has had cancer as well, but his is in a remission, though not in as long remission as Fred's.  

There may be any number of elected officials with cancer that we do not know about or who do not know it either.

We have one U.S. Senator who almost vegetative but is still holding his office though never able to vote.

The press excoriated Laura Bush for not telling them she had cancer.  She thought it was a private matter and since she is not an elected official, she felt it was nobody's business.

There is always one more imbecile than you counted on
mrs. red
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2007, 10:36:53 PM »

Excellent point Tyler... the press seems to think that we need to know everything from how many times a day the President uses the bathroom... to boxers or briefs.  None of which are things I want to know...

I would love to get some more information on Fred Thompson... would love to know what he would do...

LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2007, 11:14:18 PM »

Mrs. Red,

Please let me know what you find out.

nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2007, 09:42:15 AM »

tyler I found that really odd about the Edwards also, not to minimize her illness but even to hold a press conference prior to having completed further treatment discussion? I did find it odd even at the time, for Rick never got answers quickly during his treatment and PET scans and CAT scans are also required to make a complete evaluation. She had not even had those completed yet or the results back, when they had the PC? Those aren't done in a day regardless of who you are, at least not at UNC. Even with pull and high priority they take nearly a week to get the full results from or at least the PET does?

It really troubles me how that was handled now, truly it does. It does now appear they spoke before they had a complete analysis from her circle of physicians. Edwards has also been serving as head of the public health program at UNC since the last election, so I am assuming UNC enjoyed the publicity as their cancer center of choice. Word to the wise, Duke is far better, Rick only wished he'd known that his first go round with his cancer.

I am O/T now, I apologize.

I do think Thompson may have felt compelled to admit he had this cancer knowing with further campaign scrutiny it could be used against him, so perhaps even wisely decided to take the opportunity to share the information voluntarily ? At least then he has some control over the soundbyte but I also fear it may create doubt in some voters of his capability in some way to handle the presidency. I also was stunned when Edwards broadcast he would continue his campaign with her announcement it was Stage IV for I've lived that saga and it consumes your day, your week, your year even as a spouse. I just can't reconcile how a dream of the presidency supercedes a spouse's last months on this earth?

Mrs I look forward to what you can learn too.

I continue to stand with the girl.
mrs. red
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2007, 03:07:04 PM »

well I started with the WIKI...

http://www.charter.net/google/index.php?q=fred+thompson&context=home

and I hope to find more... need to talk to my relatives about him.. they are pretty connected to TN politics... not that they are in anyway politicans...

mrs. red
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2007, 03:07:49 PM »

I do hope that Tyler will weigh in on this one, I would love to hear her thoughts on Thompson...

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.