March 28, 2024, 08:41:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bush Delivers Hilarious Punch Lines  (Read 10009 times)
LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« on: March 29, 2007, 08:58:06 PM »

Bush Delivers Hilarious Punch Lines at Radio and TV Broadcasters' Annual Dinner

GWBush gave a hilarious and brilliant address to the Radio and TV Corespondents' Dinner. I cannot believe how funny he was. And I don't have any sense of humor and I'm not a fan. He had some excellent people write that address.

The following text is of remarks by President Bush at the Radio and Television Correspondents' Annual Dinner at the Washington Hilton in DC on March 28, 2007.

THE PRESIDENT:  Thank you, Brian.  Laura and I are happy to be here.  I'd like to thank the Radio and TV Correspondents Association for providing dinner tonight.  And I'd like to thank Senator Webb for providing security. (Laughter and applause.)  

I'm glad to see everybody here is enjoying themselves.  Don't think I haven't noticed all the drinking that's been going on.  (Laughter.)  In my State of the Union address, I said we needed to increase the use of ethanol.  (Laughter.)  

Well, where should I start?  A year ago, my approval rating was in the 30s, my nominee for the Supreme Court had just withdrawn, and my Vice President had shot someone. (Laughter and applause.)  Ahhh, those were the good old days. (Laughter and applause.)  Sorry the Vice President couldn't be here.  (Laughter.)  He's had a rough few weeks.  To be honest, his feelings are kind of hurt.  He said he was going on vacation to Afghanistan, where people like him.  (Laughter.)  

You in the press certainly have had a lot to report lately.  Take the current controversy.  I have to admit we really blew the way we let those attorneys go.  You know you botched it when people sympathize with lawyers.  (Laughter and applause.)  

Speaking of subpoenas, it's good to see Speaker Pelosi tonight.  (Laughter.)  Well, some have wondered how the two of us would get along.  Some say she's bossy, she's opinionated, she's not to be crossed.  Hey, I get along with my mother. (Laughter.)

But between the Congress and the press, there is a lot of scrutiny in this job.  Not a day goes by that I don't get scrutineered one way or the other.  (Laughter.) The press is a lot tougher the second term.  It's reached the point I sometimes call on Helen Thomas just to hear a friendly voice.  (Laughter.)

No matter how tough it gets, however, I have no intention of becoming a lame duck President -- unless, of course, Cheney accidentally shoots me in the leg. (Laughter.)  Hey, I have 664 days left in the White House.  So technically, I'm a temporary guest worker.  (Laughter.)  Considering what's next -- President Clinton, of course, wrote a very successful presidential memoir, with 10,000 pages or something.  (Laughter.)  I'm thinking of something really fun and creative for mine -- you know, maybe a pop-up book.  (Laughter and applause.)

I'm considering a number of titles -- which do you like?  "How W Got His Groove Back."  (Laughter.)  "Who Moved My Presidency?"  Or, "Tuesdays With Cheney"?  (Laughter.)  

By the way, I'm not sure whether or not Senator Obama is here -- the last I heard he was not coming to the Radio and TV Correspondents dinner -- not enough press.  (Laughter.)  People Magazine recently had a photo of the Senator there on the beach in Hawaii, his sleek, hairless pecs glistening in the surf.  (Laughter.)  It shows how biased the press is.  Have you ever seen a shot like that of Denny Hastert?  (Laughter.)  

Before I sit down, I do want to say a couple of things.  I'm very happy one person who could not be here last year is here tonight, and that's Bob Woodruff.  (Applause.)  Bob, we know it hasn't been easy.  We admire you all the more for what you've overcome, and what you're still overcoming.  

And, Ava and Christine and Nicole Bloom, many of us knew your dad.  I know life is hard without him.  He was such a fine guy.  But one thing we've all seen this evening is that he has fine daughters and I know he would be really proud of you.  (Applause.)  

Someone who is not here tonight is Tony Snow.  (Applause.)  When Tony called me and told me the outcome of his surgery, my heart just sank.  But I know Tony is a fighter.  And, Tony, we're all looking forward to the day when you come back to the White House.  (Applause.)

Last week we all heard the news about Elizabeth Edwards, and again, your heart just sinks for what she and her family faces.  And so, to Bob Woodruff, the Bloom girls, Elizabeth Edwards, Tony Snow, and of course, our men and women in uniform, Laura and I and millions of other Americans are praying for you and your families.  

May God bless you, and thank you very much.  (Applause.)

Then, Karl Rove and some other particularly conservatives, rocked the house in hip-hop debut. This was an expression of rare levity for an administration under fire. I guess they gave him some hip hop dance lessons. I was amazed to see his stamina in dancing for at least five minutes. The balding, bespectacled Rove was given a standing ovation at an annual broadcast journalists' awards dinner on Wednesday night when he danced and posed with his Blackberry during an improvised rap skit. As boss President George W. Bush looked on, Rove gamely flapped about the stage as comedian Brad Sherwood described his favorite pastimes: "Listen up suckas, don't get the jitters, but MC Rove tears the heads off of critters."

The Radio and TV Broadcasters' Annual Dinner Association was featured on morning news television shows and available at the YouTube Web.

Hope is everything. I see angels everywhere.
justinsmama
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2007, 10:28:57 PM »

That was fun to read.  Thanx, Louise.  

LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2007, 12:08:13 AM »

You are so welcome, my dear friend. xoxo

Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2007, 03:51:42 PM »

O/T

Louise,
Did you check the Pet Food Recall?  The dry food now being recalled is Science Diet Prescriptive for Felines.  Now there are TWO formulas so hopefully, yours will be the opposite one from the one being recalled but still, you might want to check it out.

Sad

It's always something.  Today Alpo Added and one of their dry also.
We are not being told everything about this and what if our vets are treating the pets for the wrong thing like rat poison when it is really plastic!

Sad  Evil or Very Mad  Sad

PERSONA NON GRATA

All posts reflect my opinion only and are not shared by all forum members nor intended as statement of facts.  I am doing the best I can with the information available.

Murder & Crime on Aruba Summary http://tinyurl.com/2nus7c
LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2007, 12:29:12 AM »

Hi Anna,

I heard that some dry food is contaminated. Thanks for alerting me. I don't use Science Diet anything. ZD Pet Food (dry) is the only food my cats eat. I get a ten lb. sack from the vet about once a month costing $42.

I can't believe how they said it was rat poison and then changed it to plastic.

I hope pet owners sue the hell out of the pet food corporations.

Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2007, 01:27:56 AM »

Quote from: "LouiseVargas"
Hi Anna,

I heard that some dry food is contaminated. Thanks for alerting me. I don't use Science Diet anything. ZD Pet Food (dry) is the only food my cats eat. I get a ten lb. sack from the vet about once a month costing $42.

I can't believe how they said it was rat poison and then changed it to plastic.

I hope pet owners sue the hell out of the pet food corporations.

Louise,

I believe if you take a closer look, you will find ZD is manufactured by Hills Science Diet.  It is not a separate company.  Follow that link you provided yesterday and you will see the connection.  

PERSONA NON GRATA

All posts reflect my opinion only and are not shared by all forum members nor intended as statement of facts.  I am doing the best I can with the information available.

Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2007, 01:29:22 AM »

And that price is about in line with the rest of Science Diet's products.  I have used their Sensitive Skin formula for years off and on and it runs about $5 a pound as well.

PERSONA NON GRATA

Carnut
Monkey Junky

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2007, 01:32:06 AM »

Hum, wonder how many working folks will lose their jobs if pet owners 'sue the hell out of the pet food corporations'.

You's think that lost business and reputation from the recall would be enough.
Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2007, 01:40:57 AM »

Carnut,
Over 2,600 beloved pets are dead so far.  Last pet food recall, I got stiffed for a $1200 vet bill and received a coupon for a free bag of their sorry food instead of compensation for the problem they created.

I suppose I should have sued them but just didn't have the time, etc. and at least my dog didn't die.  I now have my first puppies in over a year, three weeks old, and once again I have to worry if they have been poisoned.

And I use premium foods even paying extra to have it shipped, etc.  I am just not in the mood to be stiffed again for any vet bills and if I lose these pups, I am definitely out of business as there is almost no profit in puppies in the first place.  The only benefit is the expenses I can deduct for tax purposes.

PERSONA NON GRATA

Carnut
Monkey Junky

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2007, 01:57:13 AM »

Yep, life can be tough and then you die.

Seems such a shame to try and find a 'blame' for all problems in life and then to try and make them pay.
Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2007, 02:08:47 AM »

Well, if they are guilty, why shouldn't they pay?

You'd prefer these pay for the greed of others?

That's just the way it works, Carnut.  The guilty should be made to pay.  This is pure greed in action, just trying to squeeze a little more profit out of their product.

At no time was I told that any company I purchase dog food from was using inferior ingredients imported from China.  Quite the opposite was presented as far as the quality of the food and the price as well.

I did not get what I was sold and what I paid for which was suprior nutrition and a safe product for my dogs.  I don't like to be swindled and I sure don't want my innocent dogs suffering because somebody in Canada got greedy.

PERSONA NON GRATA

Carnut
Monkey Junky

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2007, 02:15:56 AM »

I see no guilt, just mistakes.

Humans make mistakes.

It's good to find solutions to problems when problems or mistakes are found.

It's a shame to try and put 'blame' on problems and mistakes.

Making corporate entities 'pay' does no one, other than the lawyers, any good, and perhaps the 'lucky winner of the lottery' plantiff of the suit.
Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2007, 03:31:54 AM »

Carnut,
You are saying it is OK for a corporation to put my small kennel out of business but they should not be held responsible for doing so nor the pain and suffering they cause countless pets?

So because they are large and I am small, they are entitled to do something to totally devastate my small business and I should just be forced to take it with no recourse?

Something this massive is far, far more than a mere "mistake" and is a matter of policy.  One or two batches might be a "mistake" but this is systemic, built into their standard operating procedures.

We pay dearly for this pet food and extra for higher quality and safety and they stole from us consumers by their failure to maintain safety and do the testing that should have been done routinely.

No way this amount of contaminated food got by all the safety procedures they claim they have in place.  They have lied about having those and just bypassed them.  They have, however, no compunction for charging for these services they did not provide.

But I really don't know how to explain it to somebody who defends poisoning pets.  That's out of my league.

PERSONA NON GRATA

Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2007, 03:34:47 AM »

I posted this on the recalled pet food thread but thought you would miss it there, Carnut.

Another one of those little accidents?  Had any health problems lately?  Ever think they might result from contaminated food?

And lest we humans start to feel too smug about our own meat supply, check this business out! The last 30 years!!! I was told that all major packing houses have an on-site meat inspector who does inspection daily. HA! How about never!

The FDA has become a joke as has USDA and everything else! We truly are going to hell in a handbasket. I must put that back in my signature line.

Article:

USDA admits skipped meat plant checks for 30 years By Charles Abbott
Thu Mar 29, 6:11 PM ET

For three decades, U.S. inspectors visited 250 meat processing plants as rarely as once every two weeks despite federal law requiring daily inspection, Agriculture Department officials admitted to lawmakers on Thursday.

"All I can say is, it's been going on for a long time," said Undersecretary Richard Raymond to the House Appropriations subcommittee on agriculture. "It's going to stop now."

There are 6,000 federally inspected slaughterhouses and meat processing plants in the United States, USDA says.

The practice started under directives issued in the early 1970s, said Raymond. He told reporters afterward that daily inspections would commence "soon, damn soon." He said the plants apparently were small operations located a long distance from an inspector's base.

Also during the hearing, Raymond said USDA would delay until June or July the implementation of "risk-based inspection" of processing plants, rather than begin in April. USDA may propose at the end of 2007 to adopt the system at slaughterhouses, he said.

Subcommittee chairwoman Rosa DeLauro (news, bio, voting record) repeatedly challenged whether USDA has the data needed to justify the new inspection system. "If I can help it, not on my watch," said the Connecticut Democrat in adjourning the hearing. She said Raymond would be called to another hearing in April.

DeLauro said the infrequent inspections at the 250 plants could be a violation of meat inspection laws, which require daily inspection. "I believe you're exactly right," replied Raymond, who is in charge of food safety at USDA.

While Raymond said he learned three weeks ago of the practice, DeLauro said "I find it very improbable" no one at the Food Safety and Inspection Service, which runs the meat inspection system, was aware of it.

FSIS acting administrator David Goldman told the subcommittee the 250 plants were not allowed to ship meat without inspection. They held it until approved by an inspector, he said. Some plants were checked twice a week and others were visited once every two weeks, said Goldman.

Raymond said he would take steps to assure all plants received daily inspection.

"It is critical that FSIS from this point forward document that plants are visited daily, as required by law," said Caroline Smith DeWaal of the consumer group Center for Science in the Public Interest.

Federal law requires continuous inspection of packing plants and daily inspection of processing plants.

Copyright © 2007 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters. Reuters shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken in reliance thereon.

Copyright © 2007 Yahoo! Inc. All rights reserved.
Questions or Comments
Privacy Policy -Terms of Service - Copyright/IP Policy - Ad Feedback

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070329/us_nm/usa_meat_usda_dc

PERSONA NON GRATA

Carnut
Monkey Junky

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2007, 03:44:53 AM »

Yes, it does look like some members of the bureaucracy haven't been doing  their jobs and something should be done about it in the public interest.

Course one can never really trust a bureaucrat to do his defined job.

Everyone should be responsible for looking out for what they eat and drink.

Again, corporations consist of individual humans and humans can be nefarious and/or negligent in their jobs and should be held accountable for their actions.

Still don't think all the workers and stockholders of a corporation should have to pay for the negligence or mistakes of a few, just so lawyers and a few individuals can gain a large payback.
GreatOwl
Monkey Junky

« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2007, 08:38:50 AM »

Sorry, but I just could not resist this comment.  I know this is an extremely conservative blog and I manage to hold my tongue very often since every one is entitled to their own opinion.  Red, it is your blog and I respect that.

However, I have always thought the President Bush is his own punch line.  He is continually putting his foot in his mouth and his arrogance is difficult to tolerate.  Yet I will continue to respect the office.  I just have a difficult time doing that for the man.

"May you have the hindsight to know where you've been,
 the foresight to know where you're going and
 the insight to know when you've gone too far."
justinsmama
Monkey Junky

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2007, 10:49:07 AM »

Quote from: "GreatOwl"
Sorry, but I just could not resist this comment.  I know this is an extremely conservative blog and I manage to hold my tongue very often since every one is entitled to their own opinion.  Red, it is your blog and I respect that.

However, I have always thought the President Bush is his own punch line.  He is continually putting his foot in his mouth and his arrogance is difficult to tolerate.  Yet I will continue to respect the office.  I just have a difficult time doing that for the man.

Well put, Owl. Reflects my own thoughts.

justinsmama
Monkey Junky

« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2007, 10:53:54 AM »

I fail to see how not holding individuals and corporations (and government officials) accountable for their actions, whether intentional or not, is a bad thing. If there is no accountability, then what is there to keep folks from just letting everything slide? An honor system?

Carnut
Monkey Junky

« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2007, 11:49:48 AM »

Holding individuals and corporations accountable is a good thing, suing a corporation for damages is a bad thing and a tax and a burden on everyone and only makes folks like John Edwards and Greta Van's hubby rich.
justinsmama
Monkey Junky

« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2007, 12:05:45 PM »

Then whom would be accountable for the sickness and death of all these pets? Someone, somewhere was to oversee something that went terribly awry.

Pages: 1 2 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.