April 18, 2024, 01:04:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pelosi another Hanoi Jane?  (Read 4153 times)
Carnut
Monkey Junky

« on: March 30, 2007, 10:15:29 PM »

Pelosi heading to Syria.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/story?id=2995828&page=1
crazybabyborg
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2007, 03:24:16 AM »

I think that Madam Speaker is a very busy lady. I also think that the first time a woman holds a position 2 heartbeats away from the Presidency, it could have been done with a litle class. <sigh> If she could have used all that energy to advocate for the people of this country, rather than directing her new found "power" solely on hating Bush and steeling her determination to assert herself as the newly crowned queen.

Her visit is one symptom of that mindset, and there are many others. I was astounded when I heard her passionate intention to rescue speculative investors in the housing market from foreclosures on their mortages. WTF??? I know folks who rode the bubble and made a fortune in that market. The market's correcting and some people have gotten caught. SO??? That's the risk of it, much like playing the stock market. The tax increase under the proposed plan from the Pelosi led democrat majority will be the highest in US history in five years.

I, for one, simply cannot make it with a higher tax rate. I employ 18 people, and work really hard to keep my small business going. After payroll, approximately 1/3 of the payroll total is due within 5 days to our government. 1/3 of my own paycheck goes for taxes. I struggle to offer health benefits to those who need it, and I admit that given equal qualifications, I prefer to hire those who have health benefits from a spouse's place of employment. Pelosi is the enemy of small business owners and there seems to be no understanding that in the end, the employees will suffer from lack of jobs or funds.

I care about the future for my son. I care about the world his children will live in. I care about Middle Eastern problems that will continue to threaten us in the absence of resolve.  

Congress' vote on a bill that would grant $25 million to spinach farmers in California, $75 million for peanut storage in Georgia and $15 million to protect Louisiana rice fields from saltwater, was promised to individual cronies to buy votes for Pelosi. She worked hard to further her "point" to Bush that she had arrived. More substantially, there is $120 million for shrimp and menhaden fishermen, $250 million for milk subsidies, $500 million for wildfire suppression and $1.3 billion to build levees in New Orleans. The bill dictated a timeline for troop withdrawal from Iraq, and the pork barrel kept it rolling up Pennsylvania Avenue.

How do we get someone to care that much for the people of this country? It's all about "sound bites" with no depth, but fit nicely into a campaign ad. I can see it now, "Bush vetoed the bill  that would have had our boys home." Yes, he will. By so doing, he will avoid supplying a timeline for terrorists to adjust their plans around, and give democracy a chance to grow some roots. The seeds planted were freedom, and given a chance the plants will withstand harsh weather, but seedlings are fragile and cannot choke out the tares just yet.

What seed is Pelosi sowing in Syria? Has she examined them? Her focus and intent is solely anti-Bush. She has no ideas other than that. We'll see what happened to hit the dirt in her wake when the plant matures, and you'll never get apples from acorns.

JMO
Carnut
Monkey Junky

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2007, 03:36:48 AM »

CBB, I totally agree with your very thoughtful and intelligently expressed opinion.
crazybabyborg
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2007, 11:10:58 AM »

Thanks, Carnut. Your comment brought to mind a wonderfully crusty old nurse that used to work with me. I'd get on a soapbox about something and she'd just let me rant until I was all done. Then she'd pat me on the shoulder, grin, and say "Ah, opinions are like a--holes. Everybody's got one."  Laughing

I sincerely do believe that the impact of the Pelosi driven congress has already had world ripples. Iran has decided to test the waters with the British hostages, encouraged by the shift of wind they perceive. They're determining how far they can push with the nuclear threat based on the response to what they've done. So far, opening the door to Syria is our answer..........
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2007, 12:37:50 PM »

CBB it's small businesses that are currently driving our economy in many respects and also the largest growth area within new businesses. My hat's off to you for I know yours is a tough job and the care you provide is so critical for many.

Pelosi is on a Pelosi high......how much has she delivered of her promises? I'd like to see us draw up a list for she sure made a lot of promises I have yet to see emerge.

I find it interesting how she criticizes Condoleeza's diplomatic efforts as did Trump so clearly recently as he also spoke of  how Rice doesn't make deals, implying she's not a 'closer'. Well let's see how Pelosi closes in Syria, let's measure what she does by the same high standards she is applying to everyone but herself.

oh, did she get that giant jet she felt she needed to make the trip in?  Wink

I continue to stand with the girl.
crazybabyborg
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2007, 02:52:41 AM »

Let's take a look at Speaker Pelosi's plan for the first 100 hours of the democrat controlled congress:

The Democratic One Hundred Hour Plan

1. Cleaning up Congress

a). Breaking the link between lobbyists and legislation
b). Commiting to Pay as You Go
c). No new Deficit Spending

2. Making our Nation Safer

a). Implementing the recommendations of the 9/11 commission

3. Making our Economy Fairer

a). Raising the Federal Minimum Wage
b). No new pay raises for Congress without a raise in the minimum wage

4. Making health care more affordable

a). Fixing the Medicare Prescription Drug Program by Negotiating Lower Prices
b). Promote Stem Cell Research

5. Broaden College Opportunity

a). Cut interest rates for student loans by half

6. Energize America for Energy Independence

a). Roll back subsidies for big oil companies

7. Guarantee a Dignified Retirement

a). Fight the attempt to privatize Social Security

In addition, Pelosi swore to "clean up" corruption in congress and have the squeakiest clean representitves in the history of the US.
crazybabyborg
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2007, 03:10:31 AM »

The only thing I can find so far is that she banned smoking near the house chamber and has developed a really creative way to count those hours. The clock ticks only when the particular issue is being worked on and stops when her collegues have a football game to watch.  Rolling Eyes
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2007, 05:59:08 AM »

well done CBB, applause !!!

I continue to stand with the girl.
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.