March 18, 2024, 09:13:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Quiet Heros" A Stirring Tribute  (Read 3042 times)
GreatOwl
Monkey Junky

« on: April 01, 2007, 08:24:53 AM »

Last night I attended the world premire of "Quiet Heros".  It was a story of Iwo Jima and those involved in that terrible battle.  It was a commissioned piece which honored a local hero, John Bradley.  If the name sounds familiar to some it is because his son wrote a work called "Flags of Our Fathers".

"Narrated by actor Wilford Brimley, “Quiet Heroes” honors veterans with a symphonic portrayal of the raising of a flag on Iwo Jima during World War II. Betty Bradley, the widow of John Bradley, and six of their children were in the audience for the world premiere of the piece by composer Chris Brubeck."

We have had season tickets for the symphony for several years so we were lucky enough to not have to hunt for tickets to this memorable performance.  We have box seats and there were 21 plus members of John's family seated just below us.  They were understandably moved by the presentation as was the rest of the 2,200 attending.  There were about a dozen survivors of Iwo Jima in attendance and, of course, hundreds of veterans of the US military.

Should you have an opportunity to see this presentation as it moves around I would recommend it highly.  We are a small close community, but we do have a pride in our place in history.

Just as a side note:  If you like parades come an join us for the nations largest and longest "Flag Day" parade.  I stopped going years ago, but it is an attraction for many here in NE Wisconsin.

http://tinyurl.com/yowsfx

"May you have the hindsight to know where you've been,
 the foresight to know where you're going and
 the insight to know when you've gone too far."
justinsmama
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2007, 12:03:30 PM »

Owl~ Sounds as if it were a moving show. I fear that the world is in similar peril today, except it is religious fanatics insisting all the world follow their particular brand of hatred and violence in the name of "God".

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.