March 28, 2024, 07:13:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cash bonus boosts births in Australia  (Read 2605 times)
Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« on: April 02, 2007, 09:52:47 PM »

Please note: Your browser has been unable to load the stylesheet that accompanies this page. The page is still readable. [Accessibility statement]

[Skip to navigation]

Websites Scotsman.com websites  News Sport Business The Scotsman Scotland on Sunday Edinburgh Evening News   Dating Jobs Motors Property Business Finder   Member Centre Web Feeds Media Pack Site Help   Digital Archive 1817-1950 Photo Gallery Reader Holidays Scotsman Calendar Money   Fantasy Golf Haggis Hunt   Edinburgh Festivals Heritage & Culture Living Weather Webcams
Search | Site map
Jobs | Property | Motors | Dating | Money
Register now - free!
Member Centre

Monday, 2nd April 2007
International

Mon 2 Apr 2007

Cash bonus boosts births in Australia
A SENIOR government minister yesterday credited his efforts - in office - with increasing Australia's lagging birth rate.

"Nobody has worked harder to improve birth rates than me - not personally, but politically," Treasurer Peter Costello, a father of three, told Australian Broadcasting Corporation television.

Australia was one of the few developed countries to record an increase in its fertility rate last year.

Mr Costello said his government's family-friendly policies including a bonus of more than A$4,000 (£1,644) for each newborn baby contributed to last year's birth rate rising from 1.73 to 1.8 babies per woman - the highest in 13 years.

Announcing the bonus in 2004, Mr Costello urged Australians to "go home and do your patriotic duty tonight" with an aim to having at least three children. His target is 2.1 babies per woman.

This article: http://news.scotsman.com/international.cfm?id=505922007

Last updated: 02-Apr-07 01:00 BST

------------------

Japan has a similar program.  I find it encouraging that at least some countries "get it"!  We bought into the population bomb myth about a century too early and the consequences are going to be devastating for those of us in cultures what hop on the bandwagon for every fad science that comes along.

We have just about guaranteed our own demise as a culture, ethnic group or whatever you care to call those of European ancestry.  But then any culture stupid enough to be killing off its own offspring likely doesn't deserve to continue to exist as not even animals do that.

PERSONA NON GRATA

All posts reflect my opinion only and are not shared by all forum members nor intended as statement of facts.  I am doing the best I can with the information available.

Murder & Crime on Aruba Summary http://tinyurl.com/2nus7c
Seamonkey
Scared Monkey

« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2007, 10:28:54 PM »

"His target is 2.1 babies per woman. "

I often wondered what the .1 would look like ??? Ever notice it is males that usually make that statement?? 3.1 children, 4.2 children, etc. lol. How about they have that .1 they are so fond of ?? Twisted Evil

Good post Anna Smile
Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2007, 08:19:27 AM »

This baby bonus is set to increase to $5000.00 in 2008.  They have also stopped paying the full amount in a lump sum and now pay in instalments over a period of time.  Too many young single girls were having babies just to be able to afford a new television or some other luxury with little thought as to the long term commitments as a parent.

....And at night the wond’rous glory of the everlasting stars..  A.B (Banjo) Paterson
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.