March 28, 2024, 05:00:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is driving addictive? Should it be outlawed?  (Read 4050 times)
Carnut
Monkey Junky

« on: April 03, 2007, 08:55:03 PM »

When gasoline prices surge, U.S. drivers will do almost anything to lessen the sting of filling up their tanks -- except drive less, according to the National Association of Convenience Stores.

If drivers can't give up driving it must be addictive and hence should be outlawed to save the country and the planet.

Little article on the U.S. driving habits:

http://www.reuters.com/article/domesticNews/idUSN0326403020070403?feedType=RSS
justinsmama
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2007, 09:01:35 PM »

If it is addictive, then it is one thing to which I am not addicted. I hate driving, and always have. It is a necessary evil, as far as I am concerned.

GreatOwl
Monkey Junky

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007, 07:05:31 AM »

Driving addictive?   Mmmmm, quite possibly.  But then so are breathing and eating.  I doubt I would consider giving those up.

Actually, I was commenting about this the other day.  Our society is now built around being able to transport ourselves around any given area.  I can remember a time when we mostly walked.  It those days there was a grocery store on every other corner.  Barbershops were placed in many neighborhoods.  We were able to find most of our basic needs and supplies by just walking a few blocks.  If we needed to shop for clothes or household items then we could plan a family outing and do all our shopping at one time.  

Now our society has moved everything to malls which are most often outside of town.  Many factories and businesses have moved to business parks which are located in one zoned area.  

I for one would not mind driving less and going back to where life was much easier.  Progress has caused the needs for ready transportation and now we blame it on just the person traveling by car?  

If a society wishes to regress in one area then it should be ready to do so in all the areas which caused it in the first place.

"May you have the hindsight to know where you've been,
 the foresight to know where you're going and
 the insight to know when you've gone too far."
Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2007, 05:48:16 PM »

I hate to drive and avoid it every chance I get.  Don't really understand this thread but I do know that much of the population in this country lives in Xurbana as I do where there is nothing withint walking distance.

I would love it if there were but am not sure how I would get home with 200 pounds of dog food or horse food.

I hate to drive and am not driving one more mile than I absolutely have to.  I don't think this is an addiction except maybe among the very young who seem to cruise around endless hours looking for each other.  Perhaps there is room for improvement in that area?

PERSONA NON GRATA

All posts reflect my opinion only and are not shared by all forum members nor intended as statement of facts.  I am doing the best I can with the information available.

Murder & Crime on Aruba Summary http://tinyurl.com/2nus7c
LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2007, 01:21:12 AM »

Where I live, in the vast sprawl of Los Angeles, unless one has a car, public transportation is the only way to get from here to there. And public transportation is very bad. Because Los Angeles is so vast in terms of area, it would be a disaster if driving were against the law. That would also include buses, wouldn't it?

GO, I'm very sorry but we can never turn back the clock and ideology. As far as I've heard, in NY people walk. In SoCal, I drive my car to the supermarket two blocks away.

I love to drive my car, which has a moon roof and special Pirelli tires. It's a black 2002 Honda Accord, two door. Charcoal leather seats, CD player that plays 6. I bought this car specifically for the joy of driving it. I can't deal with a convertible but the moon roof is perfect for me. The acoustics are great. I enjoy blasting my music loud.

The down side is that I still owe $6K on this car.

Hope is everything. I see angels everywhere.
Angiex911dsptchr
Monkey All Star

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2007, 03:00:15 AM »

I for one dont get into politics.
 BUT.. I saw this thread and there were customers in the store today talking about this very same issue.
 I myself cant stand to drive anyomre since I am older.

Great Owl I agree with you. Smile

If I could walk to work. I would in  a hearbeat.!

Louise.. nice ride!  
Mine is nice as well.. and I am sorry I bought it. it sucks in the snow. it sucks on gas..  Sad  and I hate the idea of a cra payment again.. but thats my own dumbass fault.  Sad  I miss my SUV.. which woudl still suck in gas but go great in the icky snow here.

I am like Anna.. I wont drive unless I need to. and Its mostly for my job.
  Sorry for posting here.. liek I said.. I dont get into politics.. my ex hubbys father runied that all for me years ago. I got sick and tired of hearing him argue about it and he still does til this day.  Evil or Very Mad
Angiex911dsptchr
Monkey All Star

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2007, 03:06:59 AM »

I forgot to add.. the convo came up at work by elderly customers in the store. talking about the price of ciggys and cigars and gas. All hell broke loose, and an argument occured.  Evil or Very Mad
justinsmama
Monkey Junky

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2007, 08:11:42 AM »

Quote from: "Angiex911dsptchr"
I forgot to add.. the convo came up at work by elderly customers in the store. talking about the price of ciggys and cigars and gas. All hell broke loose, and an argument occured.  Evil or Very Mad

Poor Angie! Honey, I am sorry they caused you grief.... but LOL at the oldsters!

Angiex911dsptchr
Monkey All Star

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2007, 04:36:16 PM »

Quote from: "justinsmama"

Poor Angie! Honey, I am sorry they caused you grief.... but LOL at the oldsters!

it was  funny to listen to though  Wink
justinsmama
Monkey Junky

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2007, 05:29:13 PM »

Quote from: "justinsmama"

it was  funny to listen to though  Wink

That just tickled me something fierce this morning, and I laughed all the way to my car!

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.