March 28, 2024, 11:38:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Are all hostages purely for political gain?  (Read 3168 times)
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« on: April 02, 2007, 07:18:39 AM »

I found this article interesting as it relates to abductions by palestinian radical factions, as we sit waiting for the british sailors to be bartered for as well. It isn't always in exchange for obvious politican reasons nor for barter to exchange for captured radicals.

In this case it could well be to fund the (Gaza) Dagmoush clan !!

From Monsters and Critics.com

Middle East News
Journalists mark three weeks since abduction of BBC correspondent
By DPA
Apr 2, 2007, 9:19 GMT

Ramallah/Gaza - Dozens of local and foreign journalists gathered in the West Bank city of Ramallah Monday to protest the abduction of BBC correspondent Alan Johnston by Palestinian militants.

The journalists, who marked exactly three weeks since the veteran correspondent was forced out of his rental car at gunpoint in Gaza, gathered at Ramallah's central Manara square, carrying signs with Johnston's picture and demanding 'Free Alan.'

The Palestinian Journalists Syndicate (PJS) also called for a three-day media boycott of the Palestinian Authority (PA), starting Monday.

Its chairman, Naim Toubasi, asked journalists to refrain from covering any news about the PA to protest its failure to secure Johnston's release.

The PJS organized the rally in Ramallah jointly with the Foreign Press Association (FPA), which represents foreign journalists both in Israel and the Palestinian areas.

'I'm here to show support for Alan Johnston and all the journalists who take great risks to cover a difficult and dangerous story in Gaza,' said Los Angeles Times corespondent Ken Ellingwood, one of the protesters.

'Kidnappings of journalists interfere with our ability to tell the world about what is happening in Gaza. Palestinians ultimately will be the ones to suffer when foreign journalists stay away,' he said.

No organization has claimed responsibility for abducting Johnston, 44, who until his abduction was the only foreign correspondent still permanently based in Gaza.

His abduction is the longest yet in Gaza in recent times. In August, two journalists of the American Fox news network were held by militants in the Strip for two weeks. They were freed unharmed after saying at gunpoint that they had converted to Islam.

Britain's Sunday Times reported Sunday that a powerful Gaza clan involved in organized crime and weapons smuggling is behind Johnston's abduction.

The Sunday Times, quoting unnamed Palestinian security sources, said that according to one theory, the Dagmoush clan is demanding that up to 10 gunmen belonging to the ruling Hamas movement be handed over to it in return for the BBC correspondent's release. The Hamas gunmen are said to be behind the killing of two clan members.

The Dagmoush are alleged to have been behind a number of the kidnappings in Gaza in recent years.

The Israeli Ma'ariv daily, giving no source, reported Friday that the clan has made a business out of the abductions and has received up to 2 million dollars in exchange for the victims in negotiations with PA security services.

British Foreign Secretary Margaret Beckett has personally appealed to Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas for the reporter's release.

So far, all foreign journalists kidnapped in Gaza over the past three years - at least 18 - have been freed unharmed, most of them after one or several days in captivity.

© 2007 dpa - Deutsche Presse-Agentur

© Copyright 2006,2007 by monstersandcritics.com.
This notice cannot be removed without permission.

I continue to stand with the girl.
Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2007, 10:59:03 AM »

Very interesting article, None, thanks for posting it.

I heard on the news this morning that no one is inspecting ships or boats going into Iran right now either because of the hostage taking.

So this is yet another benefit other that enormous amounts of money.

Remember Yassir Arafat went into power with no money and when he died a few years later, he left six billion dollar estate to his widow.  Terrorism seems to pay very well!

PERSONA NON GRATA

All posts reflect my opinion only and are not shared by all forum members nor intended as statement of facts.  I am doing the best I can with the information available.

Murder & Crime on Aruba Summary http://tinyurl.com/2nus7c
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2007, 01:24:35 PM »

Indeed Anna, thank you for making the point regarding Arafat, greed for power and greed for money do seem to go hand in hand don't they? Even in the middle east, imagine that...

I continue to stand with the girl.
LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2007, 11:28:11 PM »

Nonsey,

YES, hostages are taken for political gain.

Hope is everything. I see angels everywhere.
Carnut
Monkey Junky

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2007, 10:07:28 AM »

Does appear that in many less publicized hostage cases that the kidnapping is for monetary gain.

But in the highly publicized cases as in the British case it's totally for political gain. Iran is in the drivers seat and winning in public opinion in the middle east and is showing Britain is powerless in this type of activity.

If Britain is smart it will negotiate the release of the hostages and after the release Britain will perform a retaliatory military strike on Iran as a reprisal for the kidnapping. Something like bombing an oil refinery or something.
Carnut
Monkey Junky

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2007, 10:56:03 AM »

Also have seen it said that the british hostages will be held until May 15 or so which is when Tony Blairs term in office is up and a new guy takes over.

Kinda like the Iranians held the U.S. hostages until Jimmy Carter left office and then released the hostages when Reagan was inaugurated.

Again Iran demonstrating it's power over the powerless Civilized World.
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.