March 18, 2024, 10:16:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lauren Spierer, 20yrs old, Indiana University student, missing 6/3/11  (Read 597443 times)
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #140 on: June 10, 2011, 02:14:37 PM »

The story sounds a bit fishy, I think its a matter of time before some one cracks.

Memory loss of the exact period of time that is in question and no memory loss on one side or the other of an individual going missing. Hmm, and has an atty.

http://scaredmonkeys.com/2011/06/10/the-search-investigation-continues-for-missing-indiana-university-student-lauren-spierer-corey-rossman-claims-memory-loss/

It sent up red flags for me, but I don't know enough of the facts yet to make an educated guess.   
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #141 on: June 10, 2011, 02:24:40 PM »

Uncut Video: Lauren Spierer Search News Conference -- 6-10

http://www.theindychannel.com/news/28197546/detail.html

Police: Lauren Spierer's Boyfriend 'Person Of Interest'
Police Say They're Talking With Boyfriend Of Missing Indiana University Student

POSTED: 12:32 pm EDT June 10, 2011
UPDATED: 12:48 pm EDT June 10, 2011

BLOOMINGTON, Ind. -- The boyfriend of Lauren Spierer is one of several persons of interest as the investigation of the Indiana University student's disappearance enters its second week.

Bloomington police Lt. Bill Parker provided a few new nuggets of information in a news conference Friday morning, the fifth since Spierer's disappearance on June 3.

Special Section: Lauren Spierer Search
Uncut Video: Lauren Spierer Search News Conference -- 6-10

"We continue to speak with him. He's cooperative," Parker said, referring to Spierer's boyfriend, adding "certainly" when he was asked if the boyfriend is a person of interest.

There are a couple of people Parker said police want to interview, but they haven't received return phone calls. Parker stressed that there are no suspects in the case.

"We don't have anybody that we characterize as a suspect at this time," he said.

Both police and volunteer searchers continue to comb Bloomington and surrounding areas in search of Spierer, but they said they haven't found anything of significance.

Police conducted a checkpoint at 11th Street and College Avenue on Friday, looking for people who regularly drive through the area who might have seen anything related to Spierer's disappearance.

::snipping2::
Tracygirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #142 on: June 10, 2011, 03:33:21 PM »

Her boyfriend looks like a nice guy but I have to admit, I look at the pic and to me he is "possessing her" His hands are on her in a way that shows everyone, she is his. I find it very odd Corey was hit in the face by one of Lauren's boyfriends friend. Who was that and why did he punch the guy? Was it for his friend? How did the boyfriend feel that his girlfriend wanted to help Corey home?

I have to agree with the whole changing story of Corey though and the time frame of his memory loss, sounds strange.
Port Valerie
Monkey Junky

« Reply #143 on: June 10, 2011, 04:11:16 PM »

Her boyfriend looks like a nice guy but I have to admit, I look at the pic and to me he is "possessing her" His hands are on her in a way that shows everyone, she is his. I find it very odd Corey was hit in the face by one of Lauren's boyfriends friend. Who was that and why did he punch the guy? Was it for his friend? How did the boyfriend feel that his girlfriend wanted to help Corey home?

I have to agree with the whole changing story of Corey though and the time frame of his memory loss, sounds strange.

The picture's gone now but the fb page is still there. Yes, he is "possessing" her -- good way to put it. I thought the same thing. I thought he looked slimy, not nice, but then no one looks like Robert Redford any more. He is from NY. Did they know each other before college? Is he the reason she went to IU?
Port Valerie
Monkey Junky

« Reply #144 on: June 10, 2011, 04:16:21 PM »

From Fox News story today:
Port Valerie, please provide a link back to articles you post here. I searched and found the link and will post it this time. MB
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/06/10/police-focus-on-lakes-in-search-for-missing-indiana-student/
"Indiana University President Michael McRobbie issued a statement of support late Thursday afternoon.

"We will continue to cooperate in every way possible with the Bloomington police and others who are conducting an intensive investigation and search for Lauren," McRobbie said.

"I have met with the parents, as has Provost Karen Hanson, and we both have pledged to them that IU will do all that we can to support them and to help find out what has happened to Lauren... We will continue to assist the family and the authorities in any way that we can."

The university is distancing itself from the situation.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 04:42:37 PM by MuffyBee » Logged
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #145 on: June 10, 2011, 04:33:16 PM »

http://www.wishtv.com/dpp/news/local/south_central/man-with-spierer-on-night-she-disappeared-submits-dna-sample

Man with Spierer on night she disappeared submits DNA sample
Updated: Friday, 10 Jun 2011, 4:18 PM EDT
Published : Friday, 10 Jun 2011, 4:04 PM EDT

By: Jay Hermacinski
BLOOMINGTON, Ind. (WISH) - One of the people with IU student Lauren Spierer the night she disappeared has submitted to police requests for a DNA sample.

24-Hour News 8's Jay Hermacinski confirmed Friday that Corey Rossman voluntarily supplied a DNA sample. We've also learned other "persons of interest" have been asked to give samples as well.

24-Hour News 8 contacted Bloomington police department about the DNA sample collections. We have not heard back.

Port Valerie
Monkey Junky

« Reply #146 on: June 10, 2011, 04:40:18 PM »

Indiana Daily Student:

Search for Lauren Spierer to air on America's Most Wanted on Sat. @NewsOnLaurenS. http://idsn.ws/kiJvIz
Port Valerie
Monkey Junky

« Reply #147 on: June 10, 2011, 04:49:43 PM »

From Fox News story today:
Port Valerie, please provide a link back to articles you post here. I searched and found the link and will post it this time. MB
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/06/10/police-focus-on-lakes-in-search-for-missing-indiana-student/

Okay. Sorry. The snipping icon is new to me. Will learn how to use it. Thanks.
Port Valerie
Monkey Junky

« Reply #148 on: June 10, 2011, 05:01:05 PM »

Jesse Wolff's possessing picture was down but is now back up. It's like he's flaunting the possessiveness even now.

He has added one new friend since yesterday, Lauren Spierer Missing. (She was not on his friend list yesterday.)

His philosophy: "get busy livin' or get busy dyin'"

He lists himself as in the class of 2011.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1371840174

Did he graduate this spring? Why is he still in Bloomington? Has he known her since high school? Did he not want to leave her at IU to have fun while he moved on to get a job? Did the friends at the apartment building tell him where Lauren had gone? Was he waiting for her in a car when she headed home?

People reveal a lot about themselves in their fb profiles. Another guy might have closed the page entirely when Lauren went missing. This guy is flaunting his role in the story.

Hmmm.
Tracygirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #149 on: June 10, 2011, 06:06:25 PM »

Jesse Wolff's possessing picture was down but is now back up. It's like he's flaunting the possessiveness even now.

He has added one new friend since yesterday, Lauren Spierer Missing. (She was not on his friend list yesterday.)

Did he graduate this spring? Why is he still in Bloomington? Has he known her since high school? Did he not want to leave her at IU to have fun while he moved on to get a job? Did the friends at the apartment building tell him where Lauren had gone? Was he waiting for her in a car when she headed home?

People reveal a lot about themselves in their fb profiles. Another guy might have closed the page entirely when Lauren went missing. This guy is flaunting his role in the story.

Hmmm.

Good questions. He may have nothing to do with this at all, that pic did stand out to me. His arms are around her, with one hand on her rump and one blocking her front, it just says to me this is mine. It doesn't say, "I love this woman, I respect her, I care for her and and I care about her". I bet if he had a lawyer he would tell the boy to take that pic down.

Corey seems as though he is fully cooperating with everything. At this time I am not thinking he did anything to her. Just not setting off that hinkey meter
Port Valerie
Monkey Junky

« Reply #150 on: June 10, 2011, 07:12:38 PM »

Corey might be just an ordinary drinking college student, kind of hapless, doesn't know trouble when it bites him. His choice of attorney is unfortunate.

Maybe Lauren dropped her keys when boyfriend, who had been lurking and watching for her, pulled up and grabbed her and dragged her into his car. Cops don't know whether she lost the keys on the way to the apartment or on her way home from the apartment. I think she lost them on the way home; even drunk she probably wouldn't head home at that hour (no apartment staff on duty to let her in) if she had earlier lost her keys; she would just crash where she was.

Port Valerie
Monkey Junky

« Reply #151 on: June 10, 2011, 07:33:34 PM »

Student's disappearance draws attention to underage drinking problems in Indiana college town

Email
    print
    increase text size decrease text size

Share6
    (0)
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/sns-ap-us-missing-indiana-student,0,4366067.story

Student's disappearance draws attention to underage drinking problems in Indiana college town

DEANNA MARTIN Associated Press

4:18 p.m. CDT, June 10, 2011
BLOOMINGTON, Ind. (AP) — Nobel winners and award-winning business and music schools attract some of the world's brightest students to Indiana University. A reputation as one of the nation's top party schools attracts others.

Into this mix walked Lauren Spierer, a bubbly 20-year-old from Greenburgh, N.Y., with a flair for fashion who friends say was drawn to IU because she liked the school spirit and big campus. Spierer went missing last week after drinking with friends at one of the town's most popular bars. She was last seen walking home alone.

Her disappearance highlights the danger drinking can present in college towns and calls to mind similar cases from elsewhere. Wisconsin police have never made an arrest in the 2007 slaying of 22-year-old Kelly Nolan, who disappeared after a night of bar-hopping near the University of Wisconsin-Madison. Her body was found weeks later in a ditch south of the city.

Male students at Iowa State University, Middlebury College in Vermont and the University of California, Riverside also have gone missing after drinking, although in those cases their deaths were ruled accidental.

As police and volunteers continue their search for Spierer, questions have swirled about how a young woman who isn't even 5 feet tall got into a bar and served alcohol in a city that Indiana excise police patrol more regularly than any other place in the state.

Indiana University's nearly 2,000-acre campus about 50 miles south of Indianapolis is a picturesque mix of tree-lined paths and limestone buildings dating to the late 19th century. The school touts top-notch academic programs, but it's also consistently ranked as a top party school by the Princeton Review, earning the top spot in 2005 and consistently making the top 15 since then.

The city's nightlife centers on a main drag just steps from the stately campus, with bars and clubs offering live music and drink specials within easy walking distance. Students say they weren't surprised that Spierer felt comfortable walking to her apartment alone, even late at night.

"We usually take short walks for granted," said Anita Megha, a 22-year-old in optometry school. "We're not really used to this kind of stuff happening in Bloomington."

Police say Spierer spent the evening with friends at Kilroy's Sports Bar, a sprawling complex with a sand-covered outdoor beach area, rooftop deck and nightly drink specials that are so popular that lines to get in often stretch around the building. She left about 2:30 a.m., leaving her cell phone and shoes in the bar.

Police have said Spierer was last seen by a friend, who they did not name, as she walked to a corner near his apartment about 4:30 a.m. June 3.

They have dismissed media reports that Spierer was involved in a fight the night she vanished. An attorney for a friend who was with Spierer after she left the bar said his client was punched in the face by someone at her apartment complex.

Attorney Carl Salzmann said Corey Rossman doesn't know who punched him and doesn't remember the incident or what happened after.

But Salzmann said Rossman was not the last person to see Spierer. He said Spierer accompanied Rossman to his apartment after he was hit, his roommate put him to bed and she left. The roommate and others saw her hours later, the attorney said.

Rossman is cooperating with police, who have searched his Jeep Grand Cherokee and examined his credit card and cell phone records, Salzmann said. He said his client gave a DNA sample Friday. Police have said they are talking to 10 people "of interest" in the case but declined to call any suspects.

Officials at Kilroy's, where "missing" posters with Spierer's photograph now hang, won't say whether she was asked for identification to make sure she was of legal drinking age before she entered the bar.

Students in Bloomington say it's common for those who are underage to have fake IDs, and Travis Thickstun, the public information officer for the Indiana Excise Police, said about a third of the alcohol citations the force issues are for possession of a fake ID.

But it's not known whether Spierer had one. Police have said she was drinking but declined to elaborate. A police spokesman didn't immediately respond to a message inquiring whether she had a fake ID, and her friends have been reluctant to talk about the issue.

Campus officials and police have tried to curtail drinking, although it appears they've had little success.

IU students must take an online course about alcohol before enrolling, and students hear about the topic again at orientation, said Pete Goldsmith, the university's dean of students. IU has banned alcohol and drugs on university property, and its penalties for those who violate the policy include expulsion, referral for prosecution and completion of rehabilitation programs.

Thickstun said excise police check bars in Bloomington more than those in other cities because of a history of arrests and alcohol citations there. Bloomington and the surrounding county had the most alcohol tickets issued to individuals in 2008 — nearly 1,500, most of them in the city that's home to 40,000 college students and 70,000 permanent residents. In comparison, Indianapolis with nearly 786,000 residents and its surrounding county had only about 1,000 citations.

Yet Goldsmith said Bloomington is generally a safe place, and U.S. Department of Justice data back that up. The city reported no violent crimes in 2009, the last year for which information is available. Its police department has a motto on the side of its headquarters: A safe and civil city.

Until Spierer disappeared, most students shared that feeling and said they thought little of walking home by themselves after a night on the town.

"It hit close to home," said Michelle Slaughter, a 22-year-old criminal justice major. "We do the same thing that she does."

___

Associated Press reporter Rick Callahan contributed to this story.
Tracygirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #152 on: June 10, 2011, 08:49:12 PM »

Corey might be just an ordinary drinking college student, kind of hapless, doesn't know trouble when it bites him. His choice of attorney is unfortunate.

Maybe Lauren dropped her keys when boyfriend, who had been lurking and watching for her, pulled up and grabbed her and dragged her into his car. Cops don't know whether she lost the keys on the way to the apartment or on her way home from the apartment. I think she lost them on the way home; even drunk she probably wouldn't head home at that hour (no apartment staff on duty to let her in) if she had earlier lost her keys; she would just crash where she was.

The keys and purse could have been put there to throw off police?
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #153 on: June 10, 2011, 08:53:43 PM »

http://www.theindychannel.com/news/28193965/detail.html

Mystery Permeates Week-Long Spierer Search
Few New Clues In Search For Missing IU Student

POSTED: 8:02 am EDT June 10, 2011

BLOOMINGTON, Ind. -- The search for missing Indiana University student Lauren Spierer is now a week old, with not much new known about the investigation and with volunteer searchers vowing to trudge ahead.

Several of the people who Spierer was with before her disappearance have been questioned, some repeatedly, including polygraph tests.

One of the few new nuggets of information Thursday surrounded an altercation at Smallwood Plaza that involved at least one person associated with Spierer in the hours before she was last seen.

Spierer was seen on surveillance video walking with Corey Rossman, who had been involved in an altercation, to his apartment.

Rossman's attorney, former Monroe County Prosecutor Carl Salzmann, said his client has no recollection of the fight, or events after that.

"There's been some significant details that the police were aware of recently, some things that I found out, some things that they've been told," Salzmann said. "I'm sure that they're going to follow that up, and I'm sure all the people involved are cooperating as best they can."

Police said Thursday that they are considering releasing surveillance video of Spierer walking on the morning of her disappearance, hoping it might spur more tips.

grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #154 on: June 10, 2011, 09:11:01 PM »

A four-page article; very informative. (clip pages at the bottome to get to pages 2-4)

http://www.lohud.com/article/20110610/NEWS02/106100374/Police-obtain-DNA-from-Lauren-Spierer-s-companion-his-roommate?odyssey=nav%7Chead

Police obtain DNA from Lauren Spierer's companion and his roommate
Jun 10, 2011 
Written by
Shawn Cohen and Jonathan Bandler

BLOOMINGTON, Ind. — Police investigating the disappearance of Lauren Spierer were given DNA samples Friday afternoon from Corey Rossman, the Indiana University student Spierer was with the morning she went missing, and his roommate, Mike Beth.

The two gave the samples at the police station.

Upon exiting with his lawyer, Rossman told reporters, "I was not the last person with her. That's all I can say. Sorry. I hope they find her as soon as possible. I am praying for her and her family."

Asked whether he had anything to do with her disappearance, Rossman said, "Absolutely not."
Ronald Chapman, a lawyer for Beth, said his client was re-interviewed by police Friday.

"There was no reason for him not to," said Chapman, who described it as a "wrap-up" interview and suggested police would have no further interest in talking to his client. He would not elaborate. He declined to comment on details of the investigation or reveal what his client said about Spierer's visit to the apartment.

The search for Spierer, 20, of Greenburgh, has drawn hundreds of volunteers, including her parents and sister and several of her classmates from Edgemont High School, where she graduated in 2009.

She was last seen on video with Rossman shortly after 3 a.m. June 3 after they left her apartment building. Jay Rosenbaum, a friend of Rossman's who lives in his building at 11th Street and North Morton Avenue less than half a mile from where Spierer lives, told police that he saw Spierer leave his building between 4:15 and 4:30 a.m. and turn the corner onto North College Avenue.

Port Valerie
Monkey Junky

« Reply #155 on: June 10, 2011, 09:26:58 PM »

http://www.lohud.com/article/20110610/NEWS02/106100341

::snipping::Both Spierer and Rossman had been charged with misdemeanor drinking offenses in Bloomington in the past. Both paid fines.

Rossman also paid a fine for a 2008 marijuana misdemeanor. ::snipping2::

::snipping::Salzmann said police have searched Rossman's Jeep Grand Cherokee, credit card records and cellphone, and that Rossman has cooperated with those searches.

He said Rossman had known Spierer for a "very short time." He did not elaborate.

Spierer's roommate, Hadar Tamir, said she and Spierer met him two weeks ago, through mutual friends, at the Indianapolis 500 race.

"We literally met him once," she said, as she and another friend who lives in their building, 20-year-old Amanda Roude of Chappaqua, were rejoining the search Thursday afternoon. She last saw Spierer about 12:30 a.m. June 3, Tamir said, in their apartment.

Roude said Spierer's boyfriend, Jesse Wolff, 21, of Port Washington, Long Island, became worried the morning of June 3 after she did not respond to text messages he sent to her cellphone.

She had left her phone and her shoes in a bar before she disappeared.

"He was waiting for her to text him, to say, 'Come over and hang out,' " Roude said. "Jesse was really worried. He went to Hadar's class to get her key."

She said Wolff was not part of the circle of friends Spierer had been with the morning she disappeared.

"Her boyfriend loves her more than anyone in this world," Tamir said.

The lawyer said Spierer was seen by at least two other people after leaving that apartment, and that Rossman was not the witness police said saw Spierer rounding a corner on her way home. ::snipping2::

End of excerpt. Comment:

My red flag goes up on the "loves her more than anyone in this world" line. Maybe she left her phone at the bar on purpose, because boyfriend was hounding her with texts.

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #156 on: June 10, 2011, 09:32:25 PM »

PV - good observation about the boyfriend and her cell phone

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #157 on: June 10, 2011, 09:37:01 PM »

Hmmm.

He went to high school in NY so they may very well have been friends or boyfriend/girlfriend in HS as well.
cheerio
Scared Monkey

« Reply #158 on: June 10, 2011, 09:39:33 PM »

A four-page article; very informative. (clip pages at the bottome to get to pages 2-4)

http://www.lohud.com/article/20110610/NEWS02/106100374/Police-obtain-DNA-from-Lauren-Spierer-s-companion-his-roommate?odyssey=nav%7Chead

Police obtain DNA from Lauren Spierer's companion and his roommate
Jun 10, 2011 
Written by
Shawn Cohen and Jonathan Bandler

BLOOMINGTON, Ind. — Police investigating the disappearance of Lauren Spierer were given DNA samples Friday afternoon from Corey Rossman, the Indiana University student Spierer was with the morning she went missing, and his roommate, Mike Beth.

The two gave the samples at the police station.

Upon exiting with his lawyer, Rossman told reporters, "I was not the last person with her. That's all I can say. Sorry. I hope they find her as soon as possible. I am praying for her and her family."

Asked whether he had anything to do with her disappearance, Rossman said, "Absolutely not."
Ronald Chapman, a lawyer for Beth, said his client was re-interviewed by police Friday.

"There was no reason for him not to," said Chapman, who described it as a "wrap-up" interview and suggested police would have no further interest in talking to his client. He would not elaborate. He declined to comment on details of the investigation or reveal what his client said about Spierer's visit to the apartment.

The search for Spierer, 20, of Greenburgh, has drawn hundreds of volunteers, including her parents and sister and several of her classmates from Edgemont High School, where she graduated in 2009.

She was last seen on video with Rossman shortly after 3 a.m. June 3 after they left her apartment building. Jay Rosenbaum, a friend of Rossman's who lives in his building at 11th Street and North Morton Avenue less than half a mile from where Spierer lives, told police that he saw Spierer leave his building between 4:15 and 4:30 a.m. and turn the corner onto North College Avenue.

Why have Rossman, Beth and Rosenbaum all retained lawyers if they are innocent?
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #159 on: June 10, 2011, 09:46:40 PM »

Jesse Wolff's myspace:

http://www.myspace.com/8764248

Everything is old on it though, like photos from 5 years ago etc.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.