March 19, 2024, 03:43:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lauren Spierer, 20yrs old, Indiana University student, missing 6/3/11  (Read 597487 times)
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #800 on: June 01, 2014, 11:07:45 PM »

an angelic monkey

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/06/01/missing-student-lauren-spierer-3-year-anniversary/9844557/

Missing coed's parents mark 3 years since disappearance
5:48 p.m. EDT June 1, 2014

Lauren Spierer has been missing since June 3, 2011. She was last seen in Bloomington, Ind.(Photo: Handout photo via The Indianapolis Star)

WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. — She just walked away.

The parents of a missing Indiana University student sat in stunned silence in December when a lawyer uttered those words in an Indiana courtroom in defense of a young man they hold partly responsible for their daughter's disappearance.

That moment that continues to haunt the Edgemont, N.Y., couple — Lauren Spierer's pre-dawn disappearance on June 3, 2011 — was characterized by the attorney as almost a whim.

"There are only two facts: A young woman got pretty intoxicated and she just walked away, and they can't make that into something it's not," lawyer Greg Garrison told the judge, arguing, successfully, that his client Mike Beth be dismissed as a defendant in Robert and Charlene Spierer's wrongful death lawsuit. "She just walked away."

"It was said with an arrogance and a certainty that was very troubling to us," Robert Spierer told The (Westchester County, N.Y.) Journal News during a recent interview in White Plains, N.Y.

STORY: Judge denies missing coed's parents' plea to seal data
STORY: Men sued by missing coed's parents want data public

"I just have that tattoed on my brain; 'She just walked away, she just walked away,' " said Charlene Spierer, disdainfully parroting the lawyer. "He was very flippant about it. I just wanted to say, 'Just prove that she just walked away.' "

The Spierers, who will mark the third anniversary since their daughter's disappearance Tuesday, continue to suspect Beth and two friends had something to do with it, and that the 20-year-old Indiana University student may never have left their townhouse complex alive after she arrived there, unsteady and with bruising to her face, after a night of heavy partying.

Having been frustrated by the lack of progress by police and their own private investigators, Spierer's parents are using the lawsuit to try to force more information from the two remaining defendants, Jay Rosenbaum and Corey Rossman. They believe the men, who have long since left Bloomington, Ind., and are pursuing careers out of state, are still withholding information about their time with Spierer in the hours leading to her disappearance.

Lawyers for Rosenbaum and Rossman maintain Spierer left the housing complex on her own and that the young men bare no responsibility.

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

ARUBA: It's all about Natalee...we won't give up!

« Reply #801 on: June 03, 2014, 07:35:08 AM »

https://www.facebook.com/Lauren.Spierer.Family.Updates/posts/858036657559398

Official Lauren Spierer Updates from Her Family
7 hrs ·

I remember writing once that I didn’t think we’d see an October without Lauren. I never imagined that we would see three years pass without answers. Lauren’s disappearance leaves us with the same intense feelings of loss, hopelessness and despair we felt on June 3, 2011. Even though there have been thousands of tips investigated and dismissed, we are still without answers, still without Lauren.

I couldn’t begin to tell you what I miss the most about Lauren. She is always with me. I cannot think of her without the physical pain that wells up just before the tears begin to flow.

Lauren’s disappearance has impacted many. We have found comfort in the kindness of family, friends and strangers in the wake of incomprehensible pain. We have discovered strength we would never have believed possible.

Many people who knew Lauren have shared their memories. So many have shared the experiences they had while helping search for a young woman they never met. Events have been held, videos created, thoughts shared. People continue to use social media to keep Lauren’s tragic story alive. Those notes, letters, “tweets”, Facebook posts, emails are gifts to our family.

This past March we received the following note from someone we had never met. A remarkable gift I share with you here…

"I can't help you with any answers, I can't even begin to imagine your agony and grief. What I can give you is just a little glimpse of how special your daughter is, not as if you didn't already know.

I was divorced at the age of 50 and after 10 years as a stay at home Mom in a 20 year marriage. If that wasn't traumatic enough for me, even though I had a very successful early career, with a ten year hole in my resume, no college education and a major recession going on, I couldn't get a job no matter how hard I tried. I was desperate. In 2009 I began my college education at the age of 51. I transferred to Bloomington, where my three older brothers had graduated many years before. I did that without knowing enough about IU, that out of 43,000 students, only 200 were non-traditional, older students like myself. Every day students and faculty gave me "that look" that said, "what the heck is she doing here, she doesn't belong here." People were rude and unfriendly. They said there were 200 non-traditional students, I never saw any of them, I was alone in a sea of teenagers/young adults. I had professors who encouraged me to quit and "find some little job you can do." It was very hard for me, the atmosphere that was totally geared toward 18-22 year olds.

I entered my first day of Psychology class. A class of over 200 very young people. We had assigned seating and my assignment was right beside Lauren. Even the professor, through his microphone, in front of 200 people, pointed me out as the "senior member of the class." It was terrible. But Lauren never treated me that way. We talked about where she was from, what her major was, what her interests were, and what had brought her to Bloomington. She listened some to my story. On days that she couldn't make it to class, she e-mailed me and got my notes. On days I couldn't make it, I e-mailed her and got her notes. Lauren was nice to me at a very difficult time in my life. She never once treated me like the old lady who didn't belong there. I appreciated that so very much.

I think of her often, speak of her often, and wish you the peace of knowing that she's at peace. That's all I can offer. That, and a brief glimpse that you raised your daughter right, she was kind and loving, and not judgmental, and she helped me when I needed help most."

To those responsible for Lauren’s disappearance, I hope your loved ones never meet the evil Lauren met on June 3, 2011.

Someone knows the truth and has the answers we desperately seek. If you have any information please contact us.

For those who continue to encourage and support our efforts to find Lauren, we are eternally grateful. Thank you for remembering Lauren.

Just as determined as day one, hoping this is the year we can finally bring Lauren home.

With appreciation,
Charlene Spierer

“The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who do nothing about it.” Albert Einstein

www.findlauren.com
helpfindlauren@gmail.com
Find Lauren – PO Box 1226 – Bloomington, IN 47402
Bloomington Police Department 812.339.4477
Beau Dietl & Associates 800.777.9366

I stand with the girl, Natalee Holloway.

"I can look back over the past 10 years and there were no steps wasted, and there are no regrets,'' she said. "I did all I knew to do and I think that gives me greater peace now." "I've lived every parent's worst nightmare and I'm the parent that nobody wants to be," she said.

Beth Holloway, 2015 interview with Greta van Susteren
texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #802 on: June 03, 2014, 01:53:57 PM »

"I can look back over the past 10 years and there were no steps wasted, and there are no regrets,'' she said. "I did all I knew to do and I think that gives me greater peace now." "I've lived every parent's worst nightmare and I'm the parent that nobody wants to be," she said.

grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #803 on: July 03, 2014, 01:55:53 PM »

http://www.tmnews.com/news/local/judge-s-pending-rulings-to-decide-fate-of-suit/article_8e0dfd11-0d92-5546-a85c-695fa8e5a006.html

Judge's pending rulings to decide fate of suit
Posted: Wednesday, July 2, 2014 10:30 am |  Updated: 10:44 am, Wed Jul 2, 2014.

BLOOMINGTON — Pending rulings from a federal court judge will determine if Lauren Spierer’s parents can continue their quest to use a lawsuit to unearth information about their daughter’s 2011 disappearance from downtown Bloomington.

Two immediate issues remain at the heart of the civil lawsuit in U.S. District Court. Attorney Jeanine Kerridge is asking Judge Tanya Walton Pratt to overturn a recent magistrate’s ruling that essentially stopped the Spierers from seeking statements and evidence from people suspected of concealing information about what happened the night their daughter went missing. Also pending is a motion for summary judgment filed by lawyers representing two men the lawsuit was filed against, friends of the missing Indiana University student who the Spierers allege know more than they are telling about what happened to their daughter.

grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #804 on: October 03, 2014, 12:55:42 AM »

http://www.lohud.com/story/news/crime/2014/10/01/lauren-spierer-parents-suit-tossed/16528153/

Lauren Spierer's parents' suit tossed by federal judge
 9:21 a.m. EDT October 2, 2014

INDIANAPOLIS –  A federal judge has thrown out the lawsuit the Westchester County parents of Indiana University student Lauren Spierer filed against two men who were with her the night she vanished more than three years ago.

Judge Tanya Walton Pratt says in her ruling filed Tuesday that Robert and Charlene Spierer of Edgemont failed to show there is enough evidence against the men to proceed to trial.

"The Spierers can no longer rely upon the allegations in their complaint," Pratt said in granting summary judgment to the two defendants Jay Rosenbaum and Corey Rossman, Spierer's fellow students who were among the last to see her alive.

"As the Seventh Circuit has often stated, 'summary judgment" is the 'put up or shut up' moment in a lawsuit, when a party must show what evidence it has that would convince a trier of fact to accept its version of events," Pratt said in her opinion.

Spierer's family, who operate the @NewsOnLaurenS Twitter account, tweeted news of the suit dismissal followed by a one word response, "devastated." Mother Charlene Spierer also tweeted, "A bump in the road does not end a journey. Determined & committed to finding answers for Lauren."

Spierer family attorney Jason Barclay says ruling will be appealed as Spierer's parents try to find out what happened to her.
texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #805 on: January 17, 2015, 08:01:10 AM »

an angelic monkey

https://www.facebook.com/Lauren.Spierer.Family.Updates/posts/1005150299514699

1 hr ·

21st, 22nd, 23rd, 24th .... all Lauren's birthdays since June 3, 2011. Today we will try our best to focus on the joy and love her existence brought to our world and not on the pain and suffering we've lived through since her disappearance. Happy birthday, dear sweet Lauren. We love you to the moon and back. Forever in our hearts, always loved.
Mom and Dad

https://www.facebook.com/Lauren.Spierer.Family.Updates/photos/pb.225047564191647.-2207520000.1421500741./499761843386883/?type=3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/Lauren.Spierer.Family.Updates/photos/pb.225047564191647.-2207520000.1421500951./778202238876174/?type=1&theater

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #806 on: January 17, 2015, 08:02:56 AM »

Justice for Lauren!

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #807 on: January 17, 2015, 08:06:42 AM »

Sorry forgot to add the link for the last picture!

https://www.facebook.com/Lauren.Spierer.Family.Updates/photos/pb.225047564191647.-2207520000.1421500951./770236089672789/?type=1&theater

grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #808 on: January 17, 2015, 02:35:50 PM »

Happy 24th Birthday, Lauren...waiting for you to come home  an angelic monkey

http://findlauren.com/
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #809 on: March 20, 2015, 10:41:37 PM »

"Forever in our hearts" -- Charlene Spierer   an angelic monkey 

https://www.facebook.com/Lauren.Spierer.Family.Updates?ref=stream&fref=nf

March 18 at 7:41am

On June 4, 2011, I texted Lauren to remind her of an appointment. I waited for her answer which never came. In my dream of dreams, Lauren answers, she makes the appointment, days pass and shortly thereafter, she opens the front door, radiant smile, and I hear the joyous sound of her voice...."I'm home, Mom!!!" We know that dream will never come true. The reality, a nightmare began on the night of June 3, 2011 with a phone call and an invitation. There are things I wish I could say but for the time being am prohibited from saying. Some day, all will be revealed. Some day the truth will be known and the guilty will be held accountable. I guess that is the dream I dream now. I dream of the day I can say what I really want to say to those responsible for the horrible, unconscionable tragedy that befell Lauren and changed our lives forever. Keep an eye out, eventually the bad guys DO get caught.

Loving you always, Lauren. Forever in our hearts. Just as determined as day one.

Charlene Spierer

If you know anything about Lauren's disappearance, please contact us, the Bloomington Police or Beau Dietl & Associates. We've made it so easy, you just need to do your part.

Find Lauren PO Box 1226 Bloomington, IN 47402
 helpfindlauren@gmail.com
findlauren.com
cw618
Monkey Junky

« Reply #810 on: April 25, 2015, 03:38:10 PM »

i was reading this and thought of Lauren, prob no connection

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3055351/Hannah-Wilson-s-body-20-miles-campus.html

goodmorn,goodnite, got to go, as always its been wonderful, talking with you, and most of all have a great day, and dont forget to smile
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #811 on: April 29, 2015, 09:35:55 PM »

i was reading this and thought of Lauren, prob no connection

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3055351/Hannah-Wilson-s-body-20-miles-campus.html

Agree, cw618, there probably is no connection.  I'm still waiting for more information from her former "friends" and classmates. 
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #812 on: April 29, 2015, 09:40:18 PM »

http://www.lohud.com/story/news/crime/2015/04/27/lauren-spierer-police-probe-link-to-arrest-in-iu-death/26475589/

Lauren Spierer: Police probe link to arrest in IU death
8:58 p.m. EDT April 27, 2015

A man charged with the murder of an Indiana University senior is being investigated in the case of missing Edgemont resident Lauren Spierer, police said.

Daniel Messel, 49, of Bloomington, Indiana, is accused of killing Indiana University senior Hannah Wilson last week and dumping her body in a rural area northeast of Bloomington.

Bloomington police said they would now be looking at Messel's possible involvement in the disappearance of Spierer, also an Indiana University student who went missing June 3, 2011 after a night of heavy partying and is feared dead.

"Messel's arrest has provided BPD detectives with an avenue of investigation into Lauren Spierer's disappearance that will be diligently pursued," Bloomington, Indiana police Capt. Joe Qualters said in a statement. "An effort will be made to confer in more detail with Indiana State Police detectives to determine what, if any, similarities may exist in the two cases."

Qualters said police had no timetable for their inquiry into Messel's possible involvement with the Spierer case.

grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #813 on: April 29, 2015, 09:49:18 PM »

http://www.theindychannel.com/news/local-news/promising-leads-developing-in-lauren-spierer-case

'Promising' leads developing in Lauren Spierer case
Posted: 5:28 PM, Apr 28, 2015
Updated: 5:59 PM, Apr 28, 2015

INDIANAPOLIS -- Dozens of leads about Lauren Spierer's disappearance have come in since an FBI agent asked for the public's help solving the case.

Former agent Brad Garrett, also an ABC News consultant, asked for clues April 9 about the Indiana University student who has been missing since June 2011.

MORE | Mystery of Lauren Spierer nets national attention

In a follow-up interview with RTV6 Tuesday, Garrett said a number of the tips he's received are "promising."

"What's encouraging is some of these leads are very specific about people involved, their interactions with Lauren the night that she disappeared, what possibly happened to her that night and who might be involved in her disappearance," Garrett said.

grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #814 on: June 03, 2015, 10:31:22 PM »

an angelic monkey

http://fox59.com/2015/06/03/lauren-spierers-mother-posts-message-on-fourth-anniversary-of-iu-students-disappearance/

Lauren Spierer’s mother posts message on fourth anniversary of IU student’s disappearance
Posted 7:36 AM, June 3, 2015

BLOOMINGTON (June 3, 2015) – Wednesday marks the four-year anniversary of the disappearance of Indiana University student Lauren Spierer.

She disappeared after a night of drinking with friends. She was reportedly walking toward her apartment at Smallwood Plaza in the early morning hours of June 3, 2011, after partying at Kilroy’s Sports Bar and a friend’s apartment earlier.

Spierer was never seen again. She hasn’t been found and no arrests have been made in the case. Her parents, Robert and Charlene Spierer, filed a civil lawsuit to get answers from those who last saw her on the day she disappeared. A judge dismissed the lawsuit; the family has appealed the ruling.

The Spierer family is determined to keep the search for Lauren alive, keeping an active social media presence on Twitter and Facebook. Her mother posted a message on Facebook Wednesday morning describing how her older daughter was the first to learn that Lauren was missing:

grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #815 on: June 03, 2015, 10:34:53 PM »

an angelic monkey

https://www.facebook.com/Lauren.Spierer.Family.Updates?fref=nf

16 hrs

Our older daughter, Rebecca, was the first to learn about Lauren’s disappearance. Something as simple as answering her phone on June 3, 2011, changed her life in a way that would never be the same. She called her father and Rob called me. Rebecca was 24. Lauren would be 24 now. I wish we could have shielded Rebecca from being the one to get that devastating news.

Someone once asked me how it feels like to be the parent of a missing child. It is indescribable. The nightmare you never wake up from. Spend a moment with your son or daughter today, something we have all taken for granted. How many times have you thought of something you forgot to say and decided it could wait until tomorrow? Now imagine you get up tomorrow and that person is gone. No warning. Without one last conversation, without one last kiss, without one last hug, text, email, telephone call. No chance to tell them how much you love them ever again. Just gone, as if they never existed. It doesn’t sound like reality. Surely it can’t be true. You may think this could never happen to you, but we are living proof, it can

To say life is random would be an understatement. Four years ago today, Lauren disappeared. She had just finished her sophomore year at Indiana University. She had everything to live for. Someone took a life full of promise, away from our daughter. That person continues to breathe the same air Lauren should be breathing. Living their life, seemingly as if they have no responsibility for Lauren’s disappearance. I trust that somehow, some day, someone will be held accountable.

We will always love Lauren. She will always be a part of our family and we will NEVER stop looking for answers.

Someone knows where Lauren is and what happened on June 3, 2011. Please contact us with any information pertaining to Lauren’s disappearance.
 Charlene Spierer

Bloomington Police Department - 812.339-4477
 helpfindlauren@gmail.com
 Beau Dietl & Associates – 800-777-9366
www.findlauren.com
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #816 on: August 14, 2015, 09:59:14 PM »

Lawsuit dismissed.  Sad.    

http://fox59.com/2015/08/14/federal-appeals-court-upholds-decision-to-dismiss-lawsuit-filed-by-lauren-spierers-parents/

Federal appeals court upholds decision to dismiss lawsuit filed by Lauren Spierer’s parents
Posted 2:28 PM, August 14, 2015, by Matt Adams - Web Producer, Updated at 03:26pm, August 14, 2015

(Aug. 14, 2015) – A federal appeals court upheld a lower court’s decision to dismiss a lawsuit filed by the parents of missing Indiana University student Lauren Spierer against the men she was last seen with on the night she disappeared.

“We have found no decisions under Indiana law where persons were held liable for the actions of their social peers, absent additional factors not present here,” the 7th Circuit Court of Appeals wrote in its decision.

“Because he was with Lauren the majority of the evening and bought drinks for her, Rossman was nearest to assuming a duty to care for her,” the ruling said. “But he also appears to have been intoxicated—so much so that it is questionable whether he could effectively take care of himself, still less another person.”

Charlene Spierer provided a statement to FOX59 about the decision.

“We are disappointed with the decision but not deterred. We continue our search for answers and justice for Lauren,” Spierer wrote.

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #817 on: January 17, 2016, 08:11:16 AM »

Today is Lauren's 25th birthday, the fifth that her family will spend searching for her.  Crying or Very sad

Praying that 2016 will bring the answers they need, and justice for Lauren.   

https://www.facebook.com/Lauren.Spierer.Family.Updates/posts/1225877007442026

4 hrs ·
Happy birthday, dear sweet, Lauren. Missed every second of every day. Always in our hearts forever loved.
Mom, Dad and Rebecca

https://www.facebook.com/Lauren.Spierer.Family.Updates/photos/a.260330917329978.80391.225047564191647/1219397801423280/?type=3

January 5 at 1:44pm ·

A new year, another opportunity to do the right thing. If you have any information which will lead us to Lauren, please contact us. It's time, it's past time to bring Lauren home and hold those guilty accountable. Hoping 2016 is the year of peace for dear sweet Lauren. As always, we continue our search, our fight with determination, loving hearts and with the hope that today is the day.
Rob and Charlene Spierer
helpfindlauren@gmail.com

https://www.facebook.com/Lauren.Spierer.Family.Updates/photos/pb.225047564191647.-2207520000.1453037012./876935745669489/?type=3&theater

grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #818 on: January 18, 2016, 10:39:40 PM »

Thank you for the updates, texasmom.  I forgot to check the updates from facebook.

Thinking of you on your 25th Birthday, dear Lauren.  Come home.  an angelic monkey

Hopefully some concrete evidence and/or tips develop this year.   
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #819 on: January 19, 2016, 11:08:57 AM »

Thank you for the updates, texasmom.  I forgot to check the updates from facebook.

Thinking of you on your 25th Birthday, dear Lauren.  Come home.  an angelic monkey

Hopefully some concrete evidence and/or tips develop this year.   

an angelic monkey an angelic monkey

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.