March 28, 2024, 03:47:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lauren Spierer, 20yrs old, Indiana University student, missing 6/3/11  (Read 597771 times)
Port Valerie
Monkey Junky

« Reply #340 on: June 20, 2011, 12:02:01 PM »

Press conference concludes: Edit to add link.  http://twitter.com/#!/idsnews

Charlene: I would really encourage you to share all information with us

Charlene: Our only goal is to find Lauren

That's the end of the press conference. Thanks for reading. We'll have a full story on this soon
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 12:32:40 PM by MuffyBee » Logged
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #341 on: June 20, 2011, 12:35:34 PM »

Thanks for the update, PV.  It sounds like they've been following up on leads and such and finding nothing.  It looks to me like they feel there are people holding back information and are asking them to step forward and share what they know.  I hope there are some answers soon.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Port Valerie
Monkey Junky

« Reply #342 on: June 20, 2011, 12:37:06 PM »

MB, thank you for editing to add the link. I will provide the exact link next time.

Main news out of the press conference: the white truck has been explained, and BPD says the clocks on (which?) security cams were incorrect. (By how much? So what is the timeline now?)

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #343 on: June 20, 2011, 12:40:54 PM »

MB, thank you for editing to add the link. I will provide the exact link next time.

Main news out of the press conference: the white truck has been explained, and BPD says the clocks on (which?) security cams were incorrect. (By how much? So what is the timeline now?)

Yep.  How is the timeline affected? 
PV you can use the same link I posted in the future, (copy and paste) if it's from IDS. 

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #344 on: June 20, 2011, 08:53:53 PM »

Yep.  How is the timeline affected? 
PV you can use the same link I posted in the future, (copy and paste) if it's from IDS. 

Thanks for the press conference update, Port Valerie.  MuffyBee and Valerie, the security cams are located on 10th Street.  The timeline should be around 4:15 a.m.  I'll post an article about the truck.  brb
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #345 on: June 20, 2011, 09:02:02 PM »

http://nancygrace.blogs.cnn.com/2011/06/20/police-say-white-truck-not-connected-to-indiana-student%E2%80%99s-disappearance/

Police Say White Truck Not Connected to Indiana Student’s Disappearance
June 20th, 2011
03:26 PM ET

Bloomington police dismissed what had appeared to be one of their most promising leads in the search for Lauren Spierer Monday, announcing that a white vehicle they had been trying to identify has no connection to the missing Indiana University student.

“The white truck…has been eliminated from consideration of having anything to do with this case,” Capt. Joe Qualters said at a news conference Monday.

After receiving more than 500 tips about the vehicle, police identified and made contact with the owner, who Qualters said was “extremely cooperative.” He said the driver was just in the area of 10th Street and Morton Street around 4:15 am on June 3 to pick up an employee and video evidence does support that story. Still, police conducted an extensive search of the vehicle and nothing was found.

Qualters also noted that the primary reason they were interested in the truck was because it appeared to have driven down that block twice in 10 minutes around the time the 20-year-old student was last seen, but that has turned out to be inaccurate. In releasing times for video sightings last week, Qualters had cautioned that police were relying on the cameras’ timestamps and could not independently verify them. They have now confirmed that the two images they captured of the vehicle were actually taken at the same time and it only passed through that intersection once.

::snipping2::
Port Valerie
Monkey Junky

« Reply #346 on: June 20, 2011, 09:29:17 PM »

Thanks, Grace. Good info.
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #347 on: June 20, 2011, 10:56:05 PM »

Thanks, Grace. Good info.

YW, Port Valerie.  At least it answers some of the questions in this case.
Port Valerie
Monkey Junky

« Reply #348 on: June 21, 2011, 04:19:18 PM »

Bottom line, there was no mysterious truck or any other mysterious "outsider" beyond the core cast of characters. No one ever saw her leave the apartment building except the last man she was with. Or so he says.
cartfly
Monkey Junky

Thanks Brandi!

« Reply #349 on: June 21, 2011, 08:09:01 PM »

Thanks PortValerie for all of the updates an angelic monkey

My angels on earth, the Shriners-every thing they do is for the children and they never ask for anything in return. What a concept.....
http://www.shrinershq.org/Hospitals/Main/
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #350 on: June 22, 2011, 12:38:23 AM »

http://www.idsnews.com/news/story.aspx?id=81966

Smallwood Plaza works to improve image in wake of Spierer disappearance
By Sarah Brubeck | IDS
POSTED AT 08:33 PM ON Jun. 19, 2011  (UPDATED AT 10:03 PM ON Jun. 19, 2011)

Smallwood Plaza doesn’t try to deny that it attracts East Coast students with apartments named Manhattan, Soho and Carnegie.

Ernie Reno, the spokesperson for Smallwood Plaza, describes the location as a Class A property that is an investment for residents who can afford to live there.

At the apartment complex on College Avenue between Eighth and Ninth streets, a two-bedroom apartment can cost as much as $1,250 a month, and a four-bedroom apartment can cost as much as $2,550 a month.

More than 700 students live in the 223 apartments at capacity, all of which are occupied by students, creating a dorm-like atmosphere.

Sydney Myers, a 2007-08 resident, said when she signed with Smallwood her freshman year, she didn’t even look at the apartments first. All of her friends signed at Smallwood, so she thought she would too. She said it was an easy transition because it reminded her of an extended dorm.

But as the year progressed, Myers had to deal with the partying of other residents.
She remembers falling asleep on the bathroom floor to the sound of the fan to escape the booming music coming through her apartment’s thin walls.

She said she remembers the smell of alcohol lingering in the air Wednesday through Saturday nights, and the atmosphere wasn’t for her. She said you also sometimes could smell marijuana and other drugs in the hallways.

“It was great having the people I was so close with a floor above me or a floor below, but I could only do a year,” Myers said.

However, Reno said the party reputation that Smallwood often receives is an unfair portrayal of the building. When the owners built Smallwood in 2004, they spent $700,000 on its security system.

Smallwood is lined with 156 cameras in hallways, corridors, elevators and garages. There is also a member of security personnel on duty about five nights a week during the school year, Reno said.

“You’re talking about a property that has more than 700 young adults in it,” Reno said, commenting on talk that Smallwood is known for parties. “A certain amount of that is
 going to happen.”

Port Valerie
Monkey Junky

« Reply #351 on: June 22, 2011, 12:52:37 AM »

Thanks for the Smallwood article, Grace-land. Draws quite a picture of life in that building. Elsewhere I read that Smallwood has a list of people banned from the premises for various reasons, including creating disturbances. Corey Rossman is one of those banned.

grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #352 on: June 22, 2011, 10:22:32 AM »

So, Lauren's case is "... like the 500-pound gorilla in the room..."?  Sad.   

http://www.theindychannel.com/news/28311917/detail.html

Spierer Disappearance Looms Over IU Orientation
Case Woven Into Orientation Week Curriculum

POSTED: 5:00 pm EDT June 21, 2011
UPDATED: 6:54 pm EDT June 21, 2011

BLOOMINGTON, Ind. -- The continued search for missing Indiana University student Lauren Spierer is on the minds of many incoming freshmen and their parents in Bloomington this week for orientation.

As new students meet roommates and navigate campus, they're also learning about the 20-year-old's June 3 disappearance and how to protect themselves, 6News' Stacia Matthews reported.

"It would be like the 500-pound gorilla in the room, so we just want to deal with it," said Dean of Students Pete Goldsmith.

He said the case is being addressed with incoming students and at all parent information sessions during orientation.

"We think we have a good story to tell, but we want to answer those questions and also make sure people are aware of the programs and services we have to help students be safe," Goldsmith said.

Administrators will also address critical issues facing college students across the country, including sexual violence, alcohol and drug abuse.

grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #353 on: June 22, 2011, 12:34:41 PM »

http://www.wishtv.com/dpp/news/local/south_central/spierers-open-po-box-for-lauren-tips?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+WISHTV_News+(WISHTV.com+%7C+Indianapolis%2C+IN+-+News)

Spierers open P.O. box for Lauren tips
Updated: Wednesday, 22 Jun 2011, 12:13 PM EDT
Published : Wednesday, 22 Jun 2011, 12:13 PM EDT
By: AJ Colley

BLOOMINGTON, Ind. (WISH) - The mother of missing student Lauren Spierer made an emotional plea to her daughter’s friends to come forward with information on Wednesday.

Charlene Spierer appeared upset with her daughter’s friends and offered a post office box for people to send tips to if they’re worried about calling police. It was the first update given this week on Lauren’s disappearance since Monday.

“I am extremely disappointed by the fact that only one of Lauren’s friends have called the Bloomington Police Department with information,” Charlene Spierer said, adding if the tables were turned Lauren would be the first to call.

The Spierers opened a post office box for “confidential, anonymous information” about their daughter’s disappearance. People should address their mail to Find Lauren, P.O. Box 1226, Bloomington, IN 47402-1226.

grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #354 on: June 22, 2011, 12:44:01 PM »

http://www.wthr.com/story/14956457/bloomington-police-continue-to-review-video-in-missing-student-case

Missing student's mother frustrated with lack of tips
Updated: Jun 22, 2011 11:01 AM CDT

BLOOMINGTON - The mother of missing Indiana University student Lauren Spierer expressed frustration Wednesday that only one of her daughter's friends has come forward with information for police.

"On June 3rd, my life changed forever," said Charlene Spierer, describing the moment when she got the phone call that her daughter was missing. "What I can tell you is that I am extremely disappointed by the fact that only one of Lauren's friends have called the Bloomington Police Department with any information."

Bloomington Police Capt. Joe Qualters said there was no evidence to support a report of an additional person showing up in surveillance video on the night she disappeared.

Spierer went missing June 3rd. Reporters asked Qualters about a "mystery man" reported by a witness.

"We have reviewed the video, not only the timeline we have been using but also where Lauren does in fact appear in that video with someone who is already known to investigators," said Qualters.

Qualters said everyone in the surveillance video is known to investigators, and that out of 300 hours of video evidence, some were still outstanding.

"I know that our meetings here have become less frequent, perhaps from your perspective, we have what seems to be less to talk about. The message we would like to convey is despite those two factors this investigation is an ongoing situation," Qualters said.

He said investigators completed "secondary tier" interviews and that detectives would compile all of the information gleaned from interviews.

He added that there was "no shortage of resources being utilized by the Bloomington Police Department in the continuing effort to find what contributed to Lauren's disappearance. Rest assured there are many things going on with this investigation behind the scenes."

Port Valerie
Monkey Junky

« Reply #355 on: June 22, 2011, 02:18:42 PM »

I feel sad for her mother.
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #356 on: June 22, 2011, 06:30:14 PM »

I feel sad for her mother.

I feel sad for her, too; and looking at the father during the press conference, when Charlene was giving her message, brought tears to my eyes.   Crying or Very sad
Port Valerie
Monkey Junky

« Reply #357 on: June 22, 2011, 06:39:16 PM »

My guess is the so-called friends were new in her life, not the ones she came to IU with. (She was kind of in a downward slide.) Neither the old friends nor the new friends want to tell the police everything they've been up to even if the activities are relatively innocent though illegal.
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #358 on: June 22, 2011, 06:50:46 PM »

http://www.fox59.com/news/wxin-lauren-spierer-bloomington-police-say-search-for-lauren-spierer-has-moved-into-a-new-phase-20110622,0,5456185.story

Bloomington police say search for Lauren Spierer has moved into a new phase
Bloomington police said Wednesday that their search for missing IU coed Lauren Spierer has moved into a new phase now that most of the young woman's friends and the witnesses to her last hours in town have departed for the summer.
By Russ McQuaid
Fox59
5:23 p.m. EDT, June 22, 2011

Bloomington, Ind.— Bloomington police said Wednesday that their search for missing IU coed Lauren Spierer has moved into a new phase now that most of the young woman's friends and the witnesses to her last hours in town have departed for the summer.

"There are many things going on with this interview behind the scenes," said Blommington Police Department Captain Joe Qualters. "(There have) been a number of interviews that have been completed not only with individuals that we knew to be with Lauren prior to her disappearnce but also with people in that secondary tier as well."

Qualters said there are one or two potential witnesses that investigators have not yet interviewed. Based on the information from that ring of sources, detectives may decide to re-interview what they are calling first tier individuals. That would include Spierer's boyfriend Jesse Wolff who was the person to report her missing on the afternoon of June 3.

Wolff returned home to Port Washington, New York, within days of Spierer's disappearance but his roommates cleared out of their off campus rental home this week.

Last week, one of Wolff's roommates told Fox59 News he had not been interviewed by police but last saw wolff at 2:30 a.m., just a couple of hours before Spierer was reportedly last seen.

Port Valerie
Monkey Junky

« Reply #359 on: June 22, 2011, 10:32:39 PM »

Departed for the summer? Really? More like, departed forever. I think the applications to other colleges have already been mailed. IMO
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.