March 29, 2024, 08:21:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lauren Spierer, 20yrs old, Indiana University student, missing 6/3/11  (Read 597925 times)
cartfly
Monkey Junky

Thanks Brandi!

« Reply #440 on: June 30, 2011, 05:13:00 PM »

Great list. Great photos. Thanks.

Agree!  Thanks, cartfly! 

Awww....shucks   ::MonkeyHeart::and "thanks" for the "thanks" but....

The reporter for the Heraldtimes, "Abby Tonsing", really did a fabulous job putting the whos who together and she deserves all the credit .....I was just the messenger 

I hope her article and pictures puts pressure on the right people and brings Lauren home to her family soon. For some reason I feel like an arrest could be made soon.

My angels on earth, the Shriners-every thing they do is for the children and they never ask for anything in return. What a concept.....
http://www.shrinershq.org/Hospitals/Main/
Tracygirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #441 on: June 30, 2011, 07:08:00 PM »

http://www.heraldtimesonline.com/stories/2011/06/30/news.qp-2301833.sto

Missing IU student: Police search homes of Lauren Spierer’s friends

By Christy Mullins 331-4266 | cmullins@heraldt.com
June 30, 2011, last update: 6/30 @ 11:31 am

::snipping2::
Wednesday afternoon, where four people of interest in the ongoing Lauren Spierer investigation lived at the time she disappeared.

Bloomington police entered boyfriend Jesse Wolff’s house in the 600 block of East Ninth Street around 5 p.m., along with the shared apartment of acquaintances Corey Rossman and Mike Beth at their building on 11th and Morton streets.

It is unclear whether police entered Jason “Jay” Rosenbaum’s apartment two doors down. Rosenbaum has reported he was the last person to see Spierer in the early morning hours she went missing June 3.

Police at both addresses fielded all questions to Capt. Joe Qualters, who released a statement to all media Wednesday night:

“The activity observed today is an indication that this investigation remains active and ongoing, but we will continue with our policy of not discussing the details of the investigation including specific names or anything related to evidence obtained,” he wrote in an email.

Thanks for posting all of the information Cartfly. Seems LE is onto something or they wouldn't have brought the dogs, although I wonder if the dogs were tracking Lauren's scent? You know it is funny looking at the pics of the boys, Corey and Jay both have a cold and crazy look in their eyes, and the other 2 have the same pathetic, sad look in their eyes. I find that interesting.
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #442 on: June 30, 2011, 11:24:45 PM »

http://www.idsnews.com/news/story.aspx?id=82062

Local Christian community offers prayers for Lauren Spierer’s family
By Zach Ammerman | IDS
POSTED AT 09:03 PM ON Jun. 30, 2011  (UPDATED AT 09:12 PM ON Jun. 30, 2011)

The Bloomington Christian community banded together to offer emotional prayers of support to the family of missing IU student Lauren Spierer Thursday.

Ministers from multiple Bloomington-area churches lead prayers at a vigil at the Evangelical Community Church. Bloomington Mayor Mark Kruzan also spoke, and IU Dean of Students Harold “Pete” Goldsmith was also in attendance. The event was organized by Spirit 95, a Bloomington based Christian radio station.

In his opening prayer at the vigil, Robert Whitaker, senior pastor of the ECC, asked for God to give comfort to the Spierer family and all those who grieve after the disappearance of Lauren Spierer. “The world you created perfect is now marred by violence and decay,” Whitaker said.

After the vigil was over, Robert and Charlene Spierer embraced members of the public in attendance at the vigil.

“You can often know the true fabric of a community by how it responds in difficult times. We are forever grateful for what everyone has done. The people of Bloomington should feel very proud,” Robert told members of the press after the vigil.
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #443 on: June 30, 2011, 11:58:10 PM »

Sending prayers for dear Lauren and her parents, Robert and Charlene Spierer.

YouTube video: "Vigil honors missing IU student"
Uploaded by wish on Jun 30, 2011

Robert and Charlene Spierer attended along with close to a hundred people, who gathered to pray for strength for the family, as the search for their 20-year-old daughter continues nearly a month after she disappeared.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMWqeJ9HJck
Port Valerie
Monkey Junky

« Reply #444 on: July 01, 2011, 09:09:36 AM »

I've been reading the Bloomington Herald's summary. Some excellent photos, timeline, who's who, and current news stories.

http://www.heraldtimesonline.com/pages/lauren_spierer

Two things strike me:

1) The alley she walked through leads her through an unpaved path of rough gravel. Why would she walk through there barefoot?

2) The 5 North Townhomes building, where she went into the apartments of Corey Rossman and Jay Rosenbaum, is half a block away from the intersection of 11th and College. There are trees and another building between the apartment building and the intersection. Rosenbaum says he saw her go south on College. But could Rosenbaum really see the corner of 11th and College at all? And could he see which way she turned, if she did turn, when she got to that intersection? It was still dark at 4:30 in the morning.
Port Valerie
Monkey Junky

« Reply #445 on: July 01, 2011, 10:56:50 AM »

Or ... why would Corey Rossman lead her across gravel when she was barefoot? Maybe he did it without forethought and then, when she complained, he picked her up and carried her across the gravel area. Maybe that's how she happened to drop her keys. She was very light. They were both high at the time.

And ...regarding Rosenbaum's view: is his apartment on the ground floor or higher? If it was on the ground floor, it looks like he would have had to step outside to see her go to College and turn south. But there's no mention of his leaving the apartment in all the prior accounts.

Port Valerie
Monkey Junky

« Reply #446 on: July 01, 2011, 11:23:36 AM »

Press conference going on: http://twitter.com/#!/idsnews Fixed link. MB

Robert: Despite the fact that the general searches are over, the specific searches continue. These are investigative searches

Robert: Charlene and I are staying in Bloomington. We will continue to search for Lauren. This weekend we will be handing out fliers.

Robert: July 4 is a time for families, friends to get together. We are appealing to the parents of the children who may have info on Lauren

Robert: "Help your children find the courage to come forward"

Robert: "Help them find their moral compass. Do the right thing."

That's the end of the press conference. Thanks for reading! A full story will be up on idsnews.com soon.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 10:13:12 PM by MuffyBee » Logged
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #447 on: July 01, 2011, 09:58:21 PM »

I've been reading the Bloomington Herald's summary. Some excellent photos, timeline, who's who, and current news stories.

http://www.heraldtimesonline.com/pages/lauren_spierer

Two things strike me:

1) The alley she walked through leads her through an unpaved path of rough gravel. Why would she walk through there barefoot?

2) The 5 North Townhomes building, where she went into the apartments of Corey Rossman and Jay Rosenbaum, is half a block away from the intersection of 11th and College. There are trees and another building between the apartment building and the intersection. Rosenbaum says he saw her go south on College. But could Rosenbaum really see the corner of 11th and College at all? And could he see which way she turned, if she did turn, when she got to that intersection? It was still dark at 4:30 in the morning.

It's a very compehensive site; I have it bookmarked!  Regarding your questions, here are my thoughts--

1.  At 2:51 a.m., the video camera shows them by the empty lot.  They turn to the left (west) to walk along a paved path toward Morton Street.  The railing is along this path; her purse and keys were found here.

2.  It appears, from what I have seen, that it is a short distance to the corner of 11th and College.  He must have seen her turn to go south on College.
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #448 on: July 01, 2011, 10:06:01 PM »

http://www.fox59.com/news/wxin-lauren-spierer-lauren-spierers-parents-issue-new-plea-20110701,0,696495.story

Lauren Spierer's parents issue new plea
The parents of missing Indiana University student Lauren Spierer held a news conference Friday and delivered a desperate plea to the parents of Lauren's friends.
By Anne Yeager
Fox59
5:01 p.m. EDT, July 1, 2011

Bloomington, Ind.— The parents of missing Indiana University student Lauren Spierer held a news conference Friday and delivered a desperate plea to the parents of Lauren's friends.

Lauren Spierer, 20, vanished without a trace June 3 and weeks later, investigators still don't know what happened to the woman.

Since her disappearance, Charlene and Robert Spierer have expressed frustration that Lauren's friends haven't come forward to police. With the Fourth of July holiday near, the Spierers want the friend's parents to pressure them to talk to detectives.

"Help your children find the courage to come forward, " said Robert Spierer, Lauren's dad.  "Help them find their moral compass.  They need your guidance and your strength to do the right thing."

grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #449 on: July 02, 2011, 12:45:47 AM »

http://www.wthr.com/story/15016375/retired-officer-weighs-in-on-missing-student-case

Retired officer weighs in on missing student case
Updated: Jul 01, 2011 9:54 PM CDT
By Jennie Runevitch - bio

BLOOMINGTON - The parents of missing IU student Lauren Spierer appealed directly to her friend's parents today, asking that they convince their children to come forward with information.

As the case enters its second month, Eyewitness News also talked with a former Indianapolis police captain to gain insight into where the case goes from here.

In a statement to the media Friday, Robert Spierer's mission was clear.

"We're full of Lauren in our hearts and we're motivated very strongly to continue searching for her," Lauren's father said.

The Spierers said they are determined to stay in Bloomington and find their daughter. Lauren's disappearance is now in its fifth week.

Retired police captain and crime author Robert Snow, is not involved in the Spierer case, but his 30 years in law enforcement, including several years as homicide commander, give him insight into this kind of investigation. He believes those people last seen with Lauren know more. Detectives will focus on them.

"The longer you search, the more frustrating it becomes," Snow said. "They would be the most likely ones to know what happened to her."

The fact that many of those students hired lawyers is surprising to Snow.

"I find that extremely unusual," he said. "I don't know why you'd want a lawyer if you were just with somebody who disappeared. I don't understand that, no."

"You try to make them feel guilty, more than anything. Like in any interrogation, you want to make the person feel they need to do what's right," Snow explained.

Despite no big break in the case, Snow believes the family's strategy is spot on. Publicity about Lauren's disappearance has been incredible.

Port Valerie
Monkey Junky

« Reply #450 on: July 02, 2011, 01:54:02 PM »

Here is the Herald's overhead view. The 5 North Townhomes is the brick building in the upper left. It is on the SE corner of 11th and Morton. Item 3 on the map is where Lauren entered the N/S alley on the way to the Townhomes. Item 4 on the map is where she exited the alley and entered the empty lot on the way to the Townhomes. Item 5 on the map is the intersection of 11th St. and College, where she was supposedly last seen at about 4:30 AM. Note that there is a full half-block between the Townhomes building and College Street.

Here is a view of that half block, looking west from College Street. (Brick building behind the tree is 5 North Townhomes.) The camera angle creates a distortion, but note there are two good-sized buildings, indicating a good-sized distance. Also note overhanging tree which might have blocked any view from the Townhomes building to College Street. (And expect defense attorneys to make that tree disappear eventually.)

Here is a view of the same half block, looking east from the Townhomes building to College Street. The camera angle is distorted here, too, making the distance seem shorter.

The Townhomes apartments have individual entrances, facing 11th Street.

Finally, here is the alley side of 5 North Townhomes. Note that there are very few windows on this side, and no windows are very high up. The Rosenbaum unit would have to be on this end of the building in order for him to have any east view at all. We don't know that he had an easternmost unit.

Therefore, I continue to wonder how Rosenbaum could have seen Lauren turn south on to College Street, from inside his apartment, across the half-block distance, and beyond the overhanging tree.

Photo source: http://www.heraldtimesonline.com/pages/spierer_where/

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #451 on: July 02, 2011, 04:27:49 PM »

Something doesn't feel right.

1.  She goes to Kilroys which is right near her apartment
2.  She leaves Kilroys (probably when it closed) and goes to a friends party (likely near 11th and College)
3.  She leaves her phone and purse at either Kilroys or the friends but neither makes sense
4.  NOTE:  she has a heart condition and is of slight build

Could something have happened to her at the party of the friends and they panicked?  Who saw her walking down 11th? 

From the very beginning, the story of her being seen at 4:30am walking down 11th street didn't sound right.
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #452 on: July 02, 2011, 08:50:39 PM »

2.  She leaves Kilroys (probably when it closed) and goes to a friends party (likely near 11th and College)
3.  She leaves her phone and purse at either Kilroys or the friends but neither makes sense

Could something have happened to her at the party of the friends and they panicked?  Who saw her walking down 11th? 

From the very beginning, the story of her being seen at 4:30am walking down 11th street didn't sound right.

According to reports, Jay Rosenbaum watched her walk toward College Street.  The le is using the 4:30 a.m. in their timeline, but they are also saying that it is unconfirmed.  Neither his story nor Corey's loss of memory make any sense.
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #453 on: July 02, 2011, 09:13:19 PM »

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2011-07-02-missing-student-lauren-spierer_n.htm

Silence fuels speculation in case of missing student
By Robert King, The Indianapolis Star

BLOOMINGTON, Ind. — The four-week search for a missing Indiana University student has employed riders on horseback, search dogs, divers, helicopters and an army of more than 1,000 civilian volunteers.

But after nearly a month, it has failed to answer an essential question: What happened?

The Bloomington Police Department has offered a scant timeline of Lauren Spierer's movements in the early morning hours of June 3. During more than a dozen news conferences, police officials have taken few questions.

Nearly a month after a friend reported last seeing Spierer , police haven't said whether they think Spierer is alive or dead. They haven't acknowledged whether they have suspects in a crime. Or if they are close to an arrest.

Into the vacuum of information, a sizable pack of journalists from Indiana and New York, Spierer's home state, have strode in, trying through interviews with Spierer's friends and her family's attorneys to put some paint on a blank canvas.

Meanwhile, a cottage industry of Internet sages and bloggers has arisen to push pet theories, accuse key figures and generally speculate about what's happening.

And repeated statements by the Spierer family have helped fuel the speculation.

As the case enters its fifth week, the policy of silence continues.

Two recent searches would have gone unnoticed and unmentioned except for the fact a Bloomington Herald-Times photographer happened upon the scene and took a picture of the search dogs.

On Wednesday, police searched Rosenbaum's Bloomington apartment, according to the Herald-Times.

They also searched the Bloomington residence of Jesse Wolff, Spierer's boyfriend, the paper reported Wednesday.

What were they looking for?

melisb
Monkey Junky

« Reply #454 on: July 02, 2011, 09:43:00 PM »

Anyone here ever see the late 80's teen movie, River's Edge?  Those who are interested in looking at dysfunctional, disconnected, banning together to protect a total effup, should watch.  I graduated at that time and no person in authority or older than me who had seen it believed that was the way it was.  Well, I spoke up then and if more people had seen it and clued in then maybe someone would have known.  It's the exact same now.  You could play that movie in a theater now and no kid watching would know it wasn't now.  I know a movie can't solve world problems but sometimes people just shouldn't bury their head in the sand.  Someone in Lauren's circle will eventually speak just how long from now is the question.  Why agonize her family any longer?  God Bless them.  By the by, I did do a paper on that movie in high school.  Had a real cool English teacher and he gave me an A+, copied it and passed it around class.  My back page consisted of the names of our school counselors, referral numbers, outreach groups, support groups, suicide hotline, etc..!  See I was almost a Monkey back then!!!  Too bad I can't be of help now but I do so enjoy watching all the Monkey brain power at work and all the support given to the families!!
Samantha
Scared Monkey

« Reply #455 on: July 02, 2011, 10:01:13 PM »

The thing that makes me wonder about her walking down 11th street is its not a direct way to her apartment. I know she had been drinking.. but if she was heading home wouldn't she go the normal route or return using the same route to that she used to get there. Didn't an article say they used her "usual" route to get there which included walking through the alley and stuff. Unless it was because she was alone at night and felt she should be on the road and not in alleys.

Just going up and walking to that 11th street doesn't seem as direct as getting on 10th street and then getting on N. College.

Unless she was intending to go somewhere else at 4:30am... Her being seen at on 11th at 4:30 just doesn't seem right.

Sorry if I am not remembering parts of the case correct. I just remember reading an article where a girl friend described the way her and Corey walked to his apartment as her usual route and something didn't feel right about her leaving a different way that wasn't as direct.
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #456 on: July 03, 2011, 12:50:41 AM »

http://www.scarsdale10583.com/201107021775/neighborhood-news/spierer-s-resolved-to-continue-to-search-for-lauren.html

Parents Resolved to Continue to Search for Lauren
Saturday, 02 July 2011 08:41 administrator

Speaking on the eve of the holiday weekend, Spierer urged the parents of Lauren’s friends to cooperative with the investigation. He said, “July 4th is a time for family and friends to get together. We are appealing to the parents of the children who may have first or secondhand knowledge of what happened to Lauren. Please take time to sit down with the children and find out if they know anything. Help your children find the courage to come forward…. help them find their moral compass. They need your guidance and your strength to do the right thing.”

Choking back tears, Charlene Spierer came to the mike and assured listeners of their resolve to find their daughter. Sending a message to those who know where Lauren is, she said, “To the person who has knowledge of Laurent’s whereabouts, if you think our determination is any less, it's not. If you think that our hope and our belief that we are going to find Lauren has changed, it has not. We are just as determined now as we were from day one.” She ended by speaking directly to her daughter, saying, “We love you… we’re here for you.”

Port Valerie
Monkey Junky

« Reply #457 on: July 03, 2011, 01:10:02 AM »

More photos from Herald Times Online.

Here is the alley that Lauren entered with Corey Rossman on the way to his apartment. View is from 10th Street looking north towards 11th Street.

Here is middle part of the alley, where the paving ends and an empty lot begins. The destination apartment building is the brick building ahead on the left. Note gravel. She was barefoot.

Here is the entry to Corey Rossman's / Mike Beth's apartment at the "5 North Townhomes" building. Entry is on 11th Street.

Here is the entry to Jay Rosenbaum's unit at "5 North Townhomes." Entry is on 11th Street. Side faces Morton Street. Thus Rosenbaum's unit is a full block from the corner of 11th Street and College. It does not have a view to the east. He could not have seen the corner of 11th and College from inside his apartment.

Here is the rear of "5 North Townhomes." Note large overhead lights. Photo is not comprehensive, but I don't see any exits / entrances on this side of the building.

Conclusion: the last sighting for sure of Lauren is the one security cameras caught as she exited the north/south alley headed toward "5 North Townhomes." If the three mopes had said nothing, we would not have reason to believe she ever went to that building.

grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #458 on: July 03, 2011, 02:24:04 AM »

Latest timeline.

http://www.heraldtimesonline.com/stories/2011/07/03/news.qp-1931501.sto

Missing IU student Lauren Spierer: Day-by-day timeline
By Abby Tonsing and Christy Mullins Herald-Times
July 3, 2011, last update: 7/3 @ 12:44 am

Day 1
Friday, June 3

1:46 a.m. Video surveillance footage shows 20-year-old Indiana University student Lauren Spierer enter Kilroy’s Sports Bar on North Walnut Street. She is wearing a white, V-neck shirt with sleeves to the elbow that is scooped at the bottom, front and back. The sleeves of the shirt are “bell” or “butterfly” and the material of the shirt might have a “distressed” look. The black leggings might have silver zippers at the ankle, according to police descriptions and a photograph from video surveillance cameras at her Smallwood Plaza apartment complex.

2:27 a.m. Spierer leaves Kilroy’s with another IU student, Corey Rossman. She leaves her cell phone and her shoes at the bar, which is filled with sand for a beachy feel.

2:30 a.m. Spierer and Rossman enter the front doors of Smallwood Plaza together but do not go to Spierer’s fifth-floor apartment. Rossman says he was injured in an altercation at Smallwood and remembers nothing about the event, according to his attorney, Carl Salzmann.

2:42 a.m. Spierer leaves Smallwood, again from the front doors of the complex.

2:48 a.m. Spierer enters the alley that runs north/south between 10th & College Apartments and 10th & College Village. This alley is between College Avenue and Morton Street. Police report she did not pass through this alley alone.

2:51 a.m. Security cameras mounted to apartments in the area show Spierer leave the alley toward an empty lot, north of 10th & College Village. Police confirm Spierer’s keys and purse were later found along this route through the alley.

Spierer visits the apartment complex on the southeast corner of 11th and Morton, called 5 North Townhomes, where Rossman lives.

Rossman’s roommate, Mike Beth, also has hired an attorney, Ron Chapman, who says Beth was at the townhome writing two papers when Spierer visited. Neither roommate was the last to see Spierer — Chapman says that person was IU student Jason “Jay” Rosenbaum, who lives two doors down from Rossman and Beth.

4:30 a.m. Rosenbaum reports last seeing Spierer at the intersection of 11th Street and College Avenue, headed south on College.

4:27 p.m. 12 hours later, Spierer’s boyfriend, Jesse Wolff, reports her missing. Bloomington police start their investigation by immediately interviewing friends and nearby residents, collecting video surveillance footage and photographs and hanging fliers in the area. Detectives collect information from phones, as well, according to Bloomington police logs.

Wolff’s attorney Joe Lozano said Wolff called Spierer’s parents to let them know their daughter was missing.

fatcatlurker
Monkey Junky

« Reply #459 on: July 03, 2011, 11:17:50 PM »

Call me stupid but if they have video of her entering, exiting the alley earlier (2:51 am) in the morning why do they not have the same for the later time (4:27 am)?
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.