March 19, 2024, 02:05:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lauren Spierer, 20yrs old, Indiana University student, missing 6/3/11  (Read 597480 times)
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #660 on: January 26, 2012, 11:53:40 PM »

http://www.lohud.com/article/20120126/NEWS/301260078/Friends-Spierer-family-hold-fundraiser-tonight-Irvington

Friends of Spierer family to hold fundraiser tonight in Irvington
5:28 PM, Jan. 26, 2012

IRVINGTON — Friends of the family of Lauren Spierer are holding a fundraiser tonight in Westchester to support and expand efforts to find the missing Indiana University student.
 ::snipping2::
Half of the money will go to the restaurant, where dinner and drinks will be provided between 7:30 and 10:30 p.m., and the other half will be used for search efforts, including funds to pay for private investigators and other experts.

“They need to take the search to another level,” said co-organizer Joanne Eleftheriou, a neighbor of the Spierer family in Edgemont.
The parents, Robert and Charlene Spierer, are not attending.

“It’s unimaginable what they’re going through,” Eleftheriou said. “Every day they get up and try to find Lauren. That’s how they go on.”
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #661 on: January 27, 2012, 02:59:52 PM »

http://www.lohud.com/article/20120127/NEWS/301260078/Friends-Spierer-raise-30G-Irvington-event?odyssey=nav%7Chead

Friends of Spierer raise $30G at Irvington event
1:35 PM, Jan. 27, 2012

IRVINGTON — Friends of the family of Lauren Spierer in Westchester raised $30,000 last night to support and expand efforts to find the missing Indiana University student.

“They need to take the search to another level,” said co-organizer Joanne Eleftheriou, a neighbor of the Spierer family in Edgemont.
“We need to keep this alive and everybody remembering that we have to find out what happened to Lauren and where she is,” she said. “We want this family to have answers.”
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #662 on: February 05, 2012, 12:22:57 AM »

http://www.fox59.com/news/wxin-iu-lauren-spierer-iu-removes-find-lauren-info-from-website-supporters-upset-20120204,0,5524318.column

IU changes way 'Find Lauren' info is displayed on homepage; family disappointed
Fox59 reached out to the university who said the page has been kept on the homepage for approximately seven months.

Indiana University-Bloomington has removed the 'Find Lauren' section on their website's homepage, causing the missing student's family and many supporters to get upset Saturday.

The university said the decision to remove the section is not permanent and that it will be displayed on the first week of each month.  IU stated the link will also be in a rotation with other news and information. 
Lauren’s father, Robert Spierer, released the following statement Saturday:

“Lauren's once prominent banner on the Indiana University website homepage was months ago,reduced to a button and now Indiana University plans to only post the link to Lauren's information on the home page the first week of every month. It will appear only randomly, thereafter. While there is no direct link on the homepage, Lauren's information will remain on the Protect IU page indefinitely. We are disappointed by this decision, as we hope to obtain information from the IU community which will lead us to Lauren. We are still determined to do everything in our power to find our daughter. Robert Spierer”
Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #663 on: February 06, 2012, 10:30:19 AM »

http://www.fox59.com/news/wxin-iu-lauren-spierer-iu-removes-find-lauren-info-from-website-supporters-upset-20120204,0,5524318.column

IU changes way 'Find Lauren' info is displayed on homepage; family disappointed
Fox59 reached out to the university who said the page has been kept on the homepage for approximately seven months.

Indiana University-Bloomington has removed the 'Find Lauren' section on their website's homepage, causing the missing student's family and many supporters to get upset Saturday.

The university said the decision to remove the section is not permanent and that it will be displayed on the first week of each month.  IU stated the link will also be in a rotation with other news and information. 
Lauren’s father, Robert Spierer, released the following statement Saturday:

“Lauren's once prominent banner on the Indiana University website homepage was months ago,reduced to a button and now Indiana University plans to only post the link to Lauren's information on the home page the first week of every month. It will appear only randomly, thereafter. While there is no direct link on the homepage, Lauren's information will remain on the Protect IU page indefinitely. We are disappointed by this decision, as we hope to obtain information from the IU community which will lead us to Lauren. We are still determined to do everything in our power to find our daughter. Robert Spierer”

That's doesn't make good sense to take down the info.  What are they thinking?  by taking it down it will just go away?

grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #664 on: February 09, 2012, 06:04:46 PM »

It doesn't make sense; it is cruel and insensitive!  The persons of interest are still on campus.  It is important to keep up the posters/information about Lauren in the community and the campus in the hope that someone will call in a lead.
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #665 on: February 09, 2012, 06:32:06 PM »

http://www.idsnews.com/news/story.aspx?id=85423

Indiana Lifeline bill moves toward vote in House
IDS Reports
POSTED AT 10:48 PM ON Feb. 8, 2012  (UPDATED AT 11:06 AM ON Feb. 9, 2012)

The Indiana Lifeline bill is moving to a final read and vote on the floor of the House after a unanimous 11-0 vote by the Courts and Criminal Code Committee of the Indiana State House of Representatives.

This follows a 50-0 vote of approval in the Indiana State Senate.

The bill encourages students to call for emergency assistance in cases of alcohol overconsumption by granting them immunity. Protection would be extended in cases of public intoxication, underage possession of alcohol and consumption or transportation of alcoholic beverages.

The bill won’t shield those who drive under the influence of alcohol or those who don’t fully comply with emergency personnel. It also doesn’t apply to any other type of drug possession or consumption.

IUSA President Justin Kingsolver and Vice President of Administration Kevin Courtney, as well as Purdue University Student Body President Brett Highley, attended the committee hearing Wednesday.

They testified before the committee, and Kingsolver read a letter of support from Lauren Spierer’s parents.
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #666 on: February 24, 2012, 06:56:47 PM »

http://www.wsbt.com/news/wxin-spierer-family-increases-reward-in-disappearance-case-20120224,0,4878070.column

Spierer family increases reward to $250K in disappearance case
In a statement, the family said they have increased the reward to $250,000, in hopes someone with information will lead them to their daughter.
Fox59
1:18 p.m. EST, February 24, 2012

Bloomington, Ind.
The family of missing Indiana University student Lauren Spierer has increased the reward in her disappearance case Friday.

In a statement, the family said the reward is now $250,000, in hopes someone with information will help lead them to their daughter.
The following is the family’s statement in its entirety:

Our daughter Lauren Spierer, an Indiana University student, disappeared June 3, 2011 in Bloomington, IN.  We continue to seek information, which will lead us to finding Lauren and the circumstances surrounding her disappearance.  As a result of an extremely generous donation, the reward has been increased to $250,000.00.  Anyone with information, that leads us to our daughter, will be eligible to receive the reward.  You may contact Beau Dietl Associates at 1.800.777.9366, www.investigations.com or the Bloomington Police Department at (812)339-4477.

All information submitted that has a direct impact relative to finding Lauren will be evaluated.  Information that is deemed credible and helps result in the resolution of this case will be awarded to the appropriate individuals from the total reward amount of $250,000.00.

We remain dedicated to finding our daughter.   For more information about Lauren you can visit www.findlauren.com.  We offer our sincere thanks for any information you can provide.
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #667 on: March 02, 2012, 01:27:57 PM »

A wonderful article about Lauren!     

http://www.idsnews.com/news/story.aspx?id=85908

Lauren Spierer: 'She's not a poster. She's a person.'
She is out of the headlines, but not the hearts of those who love her
By Biz Carson | IDS
POSTED AT 11:08 PM ON Mar. 1, 2012  (UPDATED AT 11:54 PM ON Mar. 1, 2012)

Author’s Note
    The story of Lauren Spierer started before June 3, but it remains unknown what has happened to her since then.
    The reporting for this article began in September 2011. All statements made are from months of reading blogs, Facebook posts, news articles, police and University press releases and interviews with the Spierer family, Blair Wallach and Becca Lefkowitz.
    This article is written in the past tense to describe Lauren’s life before she went missing. It makes no assumptions as to what happened to her or where she is.

Lauren Spierer is disappearing again.

Nine months ago, the then-20-year-old sophomore vanished in the middle of a summer night. Posters showing Lauren’s smiling face began to haunt Bloomington, appearing on billboards, utility poles, campus kiosks and storefront windows. She was gone,
but everywhere.

This spring, as the case lingers with no answer in sight, the posters are coming down. The few that remain are starting to tear and fade, and the case is falling out of the headlines.
Charlene said she sometimes pictures Lauren sitting in their living room, drinking coffee in her favorite red hoodie. Her daughter, who used to hate sand, who had a gift for fashion, who found happiness in making other people smile. 

“As we look at Lauren’s posters, to us, that’s an abstract,” Charlene said. “It’s not who she is. She’s not a poster. She’s a person.”
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #668 on: March 02, 2012, 01:35:00 PM »

http://www.idsnews.com/news/story.aspx?id=85902

A note on victim blaming
By Colleen Leahy | IDS
POSTED AT 10:35 PM ON Mar. 1, 2012

This past summer, I had a conversation with a close friend about the Lauren Spierer tragedy. He said, pointedly, “You’re only as safe as the situation you put yourself in.” I agreed wholeheartedly, and we moved on to discuss something else.

Looking back a month or so later, I became extremely disturbed by this casual exchange.

Our conversation missed the crux of the issue, which is that the Lauren Spierer tragedy even happened in the first place.

This represents a heartbreaking failure on the part of the community to prevent situations like this from happening.

Furthermore, it’s obvious each of us is responsible for the decisions we make, but it is warped and dangerous logic to imply we are in any way responsible for the actions of others or harm that others do to us.

grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #669 on: March 02, 2012, 01:38:53 PM »

http://wcsi.whiterivernews.com/templates/localnews_temp.asp?id=4598&storyno=1

Missing Student Info Returned to IU's Website

Indiana University has put information related to the search for missing student Lauren Spierer back on its website after removing it several weeks ago. On Facebook, Spierer's family thanked IU for making the move.  ::snipping2::

Last Updated: Friday, March 02, 2012 8:39:44 AM
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #670 on: March 04, 2012, 12:28:15 AM »

http://newsonlaurens.blogspot.com/2012/03/you-know-where-she-is-by-charlene.html

Saturday, March 3, 2012

"You know where she is" by Charlene Spierer
March 2, 2012

To whom this may concern,

Thoughts on a page.  You and I share unique roles; we are both insiders, forever bound by the senseless circumstances of June 3, 2011. You were with Lauren, you know what happened and you know where she is.  Maybe you spend every day trying to forget.  I am Lauren’s mother.  I have a front row seat in this never-ending nightmare. The smallest task requires tremendous effort.  Being home, going places for the first time where Lauren has been.  Hearing one of her favorite songs.  Hearing a song she would love but may never hear. Waiting at a light, waiting in line.  Always, always on edge.  Always waiting for a phone call which will tell me Lauren has been found or even that the smallest piece of information has made it’s way into the right hands. Waiting to find out if a Twitter rumor is true…waiting to hear if the body recently found is Lauren’s.   Imagine waiting to hear if a body that was just discovered is your daughter’s?  I spend every day trying to find answers to the questions, which will end this mystery.  Whatever the events of the night, you hold the key to what happened to Lauren at night’s end. I wonder if you give Lauren a second thought.  I wonder what type person it takes to watch our grief as we face another day.  I think about you all the time.  I wish for one instant you were in our place, waiting, praying, hoping.  I wish you knew what it felt like to have lost a loved one.  Missing…The despair that comes from the realization that someone knows the whereabouts of your missing child is indescribable. I wish you could feel that heartache.  I would be lying if I said I didn’t wish you were experiencing the same excruciating pain we are.  I wish for today, I held your fate in my hands.

Nine months.  A lot can happen in nine months.  The miracle of life, the joy of a child joining a family and all that she brings.

Nine months is a long time to maintain the silence of one so determined to keep a secret. I know there is not much I can control.  I know all of our efforts to date have not resulted in finding Lauren.  Nine months is a long time.  Memories fade and life goes on but I promise to never let you forget.  I promise to be a constant reminder should your memory fail you. I can do that, at the very least.  We will never stop looking for Lauren.  You should know that we are just as determined to find Lauren today as we were on June 3, 2011.

Hoping today is the day….

Charlene Spierer
cartfly
Monkey Junky

Thanks Brandi!

« Reply #671 on: March 13, 2012, 10:35:24 PM »

I am not saying this is Lauren though a possibility:

Skeletal Remains Found in Southeastern Illinois
By: Michael C. Fehn
Updated: March 13, 2012

Authorities in Jasper County, Illinois are waiting for a DNA analysis on skeletal remains found in a remote area over the weekend.

The remains were found near the town of Newton, Illinois, which is just northwest of the Tri-State.

Someone walking in the woods stumbled upon the bones and called local police on Saturday.  There apparently was no evidence of a grave and no obvious trail leading to the remains.

The evidence was taken to an Illinois State Crime Lab.  The sheriff says it could take up to thirty days to get any results, including an identity.

There have been inquiries from a few communities with open "missing person" investigations, including the Bloomington, IN Police Department, which continues to search for missing IU student, Lauren Spierer.
http://tristatehomepage.com/fulltext?nxd_id=497332

My angels on earth, the Shriners-every thing they do is for the children and they never ask for anything in return. What a concept.....
http://www.shrinershq.org/Hospitals/Main/
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #672 on: March 14, 2012, 07:26:19 PM »

Thanks---had this in my UID folder, but not that same article.

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #673 on: March 20, 2012, 01:51:39 PM »

http://www.wfmz.com/news/news-regional-lehighvalley/Women-learn-to-fight-back/-/132502/9598336/-/3iylsw/-/

Women learn to fight back
Published On: Mar 20 2012 06:00:33 AM EDT

ALLENTOWN, Pa. -
College can mean parties and fun, but for young women, it's also filled with potential dangers.

One class at Muhlenberg College in Allentown Monday night aimed to keep them safe.  It was organized by one student who knows the dangers all too well.

"She was fun, lively," said Muhlenberg sophomore Jocelyn Bibi.  "Her family's amazing."

Jocelyn Bibi is talking about her high school friend Lauren Spierer.
Each of the 70-some participants paid five dollars for the class.  All the money goes to the search for Spierer.

"If one more woman can learn how to be safe and how to save herself in a situation that's unfortunate, that's what's important," said Bibi.
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #674 on: March 21, 2012, 12:10:26 PM »

http://newsonlaurens.blogspot.com/

Tuesday, March 20, 2012
IU Women’s Lacrosse Club Dedicates Play to Lauren Spierer

BLOOMINGTON, Ind. – Indiana University’s Women’s Lacrosse Club will dedicate play on Saturday, March 31 to the continued efforts to find Lauren Spierer. Michigan State University, St. Louis University, Western Kentucky University and Lakeshore Lacrosse Club will join IU in honoring Lauren Spierer and the search that continues for answers in her disappearance. By disseminating information to teams from four Midwest states, the club hopes spectators and players raise awareness about Lauren’s disappearance within their campuses and hometowns in efforts to gain more information that will lead to finding Lauren. The club will provide findlauren.com bracelets to spectators and blue ribbons to all players participating that day.

As the one-year anniversary of her disappearance approaches, the club felt an urgency to keep Lauren’s story in the public by encouraging people to be alert in conversations and to report any information. A small piece of information could help complete this puzzling story and bring Lauren home.

Who: Indiana University, Michigan State University, St. Louis University, Western Kentucky University and Lakeshore Women’s Lacrosse Clubs

When: Saturday, March 31; Game times and weather delay information can be found at www.iuwlacrosse.com

What: Women’s lacrosse (club) play day (free and open to the public); Wear cream, crimson and light blue to support the search for Lauren

Where: Evan Williams Field (10th and the bypass, behind University Gym)

To speak to a club representative in regard to this event, please contact the Club Advisor, Andi Gitelson, at acgitels@indiana.edu.

The Women’s Lacrosse Club is a housed in Indiana University Club Sports division. IU Club Sports are a program of Campus Recreational Sports. For more information, please call 855-2371 or visit http://recsports.indiana.edu/.
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #675 on: March 25, 2012, 09:14:36 PM »

http://newsonlaurens.blogspot.com/2012/03/organizer-arranges-team-for-upcoming-iu.html

Organizer arranges team for upcoming IU 5K mini-marathon to raise awareness
Thursday, March 22, 2012

Every spring, the IU Mini Marathon and 5K Run/Walk brings the IU and Bloomington community together to raise scholarship money for IU students who have survived cancer. Since its start in 2006, the IU Mini Marathon and 5K has raised more than $100,000.

The course takes participants through the heart of the IU campus and up and down the hills of Bloomington. Scenic and challenging, the Mini Marathon and 5K Run/Walk is Bloomington’s premier running/walking event.

Information from http://alumni.indiana.edu/doc/Mini%20Marathon%20brochure%2012%20Web.pdf.

---

"In an effort to continue to raise awareness for the disappearance of Lauren Spierer, I am encouraging supporters of Lauren to participate in this event as a team. We will be easily recognized by wearing light blue shirts. When someone registers, all they have to do is write in the team name “Where is She?” as the response to the question, “Are you registering as part of a team?”

This event is not a fundraiser for Lauren and is not a family "sponsored event". It's simply an opportunity for those of us in the area to show Bloomington that we are not giving up and a way we can continue to spread awareness while supporting IU students who have survived cancer.

Join team “Where is She?”

For updates related to Team “Where is She?” please follow this link to the Facebook event.
http://www.facebook.com/events/192080784237761/"

Posted by NewsOnLaurenS Twitter Feed at 1:36 PM

grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #676 on: April 01, 2012, 02:14:29 PM »

http://www.necn.com/03/31/12/Bloomington-sees-rise-in-alcohol-citatio/landing_nation.html?&apID=ea49b782f7c6473f901c4a7b382fb09a

Bloomington sees rise in alcohol citations
Mar 31, 2012

BLOOMINGTON, Ind. (AP) — The number of people cited by excise police for alcohol violations at a Bloomington bar nearly doubled in the six months after an Indiana University student disappeared, with most of the citations going to current or former IU students.

The Herald-Times ( ) analyzed 2011 data provided by Indiana State Excise Police and found 432 citations were issued to 225 people at 23 Bloomington bars or establishments permitted to sell alcohol. . One person received citations at two different stores, bringing the arrest total to 226.

The city's three Kilroy's drinking establishments were the site of 148 of the citations, more than a third of the total. Thirty-three of those citations occurred at Kilroy's Sports Bar, where police say student Lauren Spierer used a fake ID to enter and be served alcohol the night she disappeared last June.

After Spierer's disappearance, the bar was cited on two alcohol-related charges for allowing a minor, Spierer, to loiter and furnishing alcoholic beverages to her. Investigators determined Spierer used a fake ID that shouldn't have gotten past door staff.

Alcohol and Tobacco Commission prosecutors are still reviewing the citations and the case is pending.
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #677 on: April 02, 2012, 01:34:19 PM »

Bloomington Police Inquire About Illinois Skeletal Remains
Lauren Spierer Missing Since June 2011

INDIANAPOLIS -- Bloomington police are awaiting results of DNA tests after skeletal remains were found in a remote area of eastern Illinois.

The remains were found March 10 in woods near the town of Newton, Ill., WEHT-TV reported.

http://www.theindychannel.com/news/30817040/detail.html
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #678 on: April 03, 2012, 07:30:28 PM »

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/story/2012-04-03/missing-indiana-student-Lauren-Spierer/53980028/1
Investigators seek clues for missing Indiana student's case
April 3, 2012

INDIANAPOLIS – Bloomington, Ind., police investigating the 2011 disappearance of an Indiana University student are awaiting DNA test results of skeletal remains found in a remote area in eastern Illinois.
Later this month, the results from the Illinois State Crime Lab will determine whether the remains are those of Lauren Spierer, from Greenburgh, N.Y. Capt. Joe Qualters of the Bloomington police said the body was found in mid-March in Newton, Ill., about 100 miles west of Bloomington.

This is the latest in a still-ongoing search for Spierer, 20, who disappeared June 3, 2011, after a night out with friends.

"Any situation where we become aware of a body that has been found, we're certainly going to pursue it to determine if it's related to our case," Qualters said. "We've had several of these along the way."

Qualters said detectives have inquired to other agencies about at least 10 bodies found in the Indianapolis and Bloomington areas, hoping to end the prolonged search.

But 10 months since Spierer disappeared, the search continues and closure evades those who are seeking it.
Meanwhile, Spierer's family has set up a website called findLauren.com, as well as a PayPal account for donations to support the search.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #679 on: April 04, 2012, 01:09:16 PM »

Coroner: Remains in Illinois are not from Lauren Speirer

Hopes for solving the disappearance of Indiana University student Lauren Spierer have met another setback.

An Illinois coroner says skeletal remains found March 10 were not Speirer's, said Jasper County (Ill.) Coroner Jason Meyer

Anthropologists from Southern Illinois University determined the remains were from a male.

http://www.indystar.com/article/20120404/NEWS02/204040362/Coroner-Remains-Illinois-not-from-Lauren-Speirer?odyssey=nav%7Chead
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.