March 18, 2024, 11:37:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Reckless Driver kills two, pays $ 199 fine.  (Read 2568 times)
GreatOwl
Monkey Junky

« on: April 05, 2007, 08:52:15 AM »

I know this the probably happens often around the country.  Somehow it just doesn't seem right.  We do not hold drivers accountable for their actions to a degree that is proportional to their harm caused.

http://tinyurl.com/2x7rrl

I have been hit recently by a driver with no license who has been fined at least 4 times for driving without out a license.  He never pays the fines and the court just adds $1.99 interest on to the court costs but never makes an attempt to collect or jail him.  He has fines going back several years. to the first offense.

Driving while intoxicated is another offense which carries fines and consequences disproportionate to the damage.  When will these crimes be viewed as such and taken seriously.

"May you have the hindsight to know where you've been,
 the foresight to know where you're going and
 the insight to know when you've gone too far."
Angiex911dsptchr
Monkey All Star

« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2007, 04:49:28 PM »

Quote from: "GreatOwl"
I know this the probably happens often around the country.  Somehow it just doesn't seem right.  We do not hold drivers accountable for their actions to a degree that is proportional to their harm caused.

http://tinyurl.com/2x7rrl

I have been hit recently by a driver with no license who has been fined at least 4 times for driving without out a license.  He never pays the fines and the court just adds $1.99 interest on to the court costs but never makes an attempt to collect or jail him.  He has fines going back several years. to the first offense.

Driving while intoxicated is another offense which carries fines and consequences disproportionate to the damage.  When will these crimes be viewed as such and taken seriously.

What a sad article Mr Owl   Crying or Very sad
 Pisses me off that certain peolpe can get away with these types of things.  Evil or Very Mad
Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2007, 06:49:32 PM »

A drunk driver hit my son in Arlington VA a few years back and he did six months in jail.  He would likely have received much more time if my son had not gone to court in a wheel chair and asked the judge to be lenient because the man had a wife who was pregnant and another small child already born.

One part of me is very proud of my son's compassion but the part that paid the medical bills even after insurance is not very happy with his doing that.

I left it at his decision but did marvel at how he could do that after hearing him scream in pain for days, etc.  Has metal hip socket, both legs and pelvis were crushed and he bled out five units of blood into his abdomen while the firemen cut him out of his car.

Well, at least the guy got six months and I do hope he used that time to sober up and discover why he should not have been driving drunk.

And the wife did call the hospital several times to see how my son was doing which really impressed him as well.

So not sure what I am saying with all this except that Virginia does prosecute drunk drivers who hit others.  And sons sometimes have a higher level of moral reasoning than parents?  But if the guy who hit him had not received any punishment, what would stop him from doing this again?  Why not if nothing ever happens to you?  Anything goes if there is no deterrent with people with no self control and other issues.

PERSONA NON GRATA

All posts reflect my opinion only and are not shared by all forum members nor intended as statement of facts.  I am doing the best I can with the information available.

Murder & Crime on Aruba Summary http://tinyurl.com/2nus7c
GreatOwl
Monkey Junky

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2007, 11:47:28 PM »

"May you have the hindsight to know where you've been,
 the foresight to know where you're going and
 the insight to know when you've gone too far."
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.