March 28, 2024, 03:35:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Animal Rights Issues  (Read 34822 times)
LilPuma
Monkey Junky

« on: April 10, 2007, 07:59:38 PM »

I didn't know if I should start a thread on a subject that often sparks heated debate, but when I got an e-mail from a trusted friend about Saving a Monkey's Life, well, I thought it was a "sign".   So I'll start this thread and hope it doesn't become a source of animosity.  Felix is a monkey who is being used in vivisection and there are those trying to get him released.  If you oppose the use of animals in experiments, please go to this site and sign the petition.  

For more information about Felix click on:
http://www.speakcampaigns.org/Felix/felix.php

Our deeds are seeds and by them, we plant the world we will walk through tomorrow
LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2007, 12:08:25 AM »

Thank you. I cannot bear to even think about the ways monkeys and other animals are abused.

Hope is everything. I see angels everywhere.
LilPuma
Monkey Junky

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007, 12:22:32 PM »

Quote from: "LouiseVargas"
Thank you. I cannot bear to even think about the ways monkeys and other animals are abused.

I know what you mean.  Some of what is done to animals in the name of science is really is horrific.  

Albert Schweitzer said:  
Think occasionally of the suffering of which you spare yourself the sight.

Our deeds are seeds and by them, we plant the world we will walk through tomorrow
LilPuma
Monkey Junky

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2007, 08:35:47 PM »

I got this e-mail this afternoon from HSUS:  

Last night at 8:06 p.m., I watched history happen. The U.S. Senate unanimously passed the Animal Fighting Prohibition Enforcement Act.

The House of Representatives passed the same bill, H.R. 137, late last month by a vote of 368 to 39. What this means is that after an almost six-year battle, the struggle to
enact meaningful federal penalties for animal fighting has passed its final congressional hurdle. The legislation now is headed to the desk of President Bush, who is expected to sign the measure into law. The new law will take effect immediately, and I can assure you that this is a dark and long-dreaded day in the dogfighting and cockfighting worlds.

I cannot tell you know grateful I am for the efforts of each of you who sent emails, made phone calls, wrote letters and visited your federal legislators on Capitol Hill and in their home districts. You kept the pressure on and your tireless efforts and support made the difference. The cockfighting lobby was organized, and its leaders poured hundreds of thousands of dollars to derail the legislation -- but we out-hustled them and we carried the day.

Nearly every week, there are reports of dog fighting and cockfighting crimes in the United States. It is a vast underground network of people who revel in seeing animals tear one another apart and gamble on the outcomes of the staged spectacles. Now federal law enforcement officials have the tools they need to uproot these underground animal fighting enterprises and put a halt to the the abhorrent cruelty inflicted on dogs, birds and other animals.

I hope this victory inspires you to keep working on behalf of public policies to protect animals. Animal fighting pits will be closing throughout the nation, and it is joyous day for animals. This victory reminds us to never to give up, and that there are rewards for compassionate action and perseverance. Please share this tremendous news with others and let them know that you had a part in making it happen.

Sincerely,

Wayne Pacelle
President & CEO
The Humane Society of the United States

P.S. The fight is not over. Now that Congress has done its job, we will continue working in your state legislature to toughen the state laws and give animal fighting the knock-out punch.

Observer
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2007, 03:13:51 PM »

Another senseless killing. After they killed the extremely rare and harmless cat they just left it there..

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070423/sc_nm/russia_leopard_dc

MOSCOW (Reuters) - Hunters in Russia's Far East have shot and killed one of the last seven surviving female Amur leopards living in the wild, WWF said on Monday, driving the species even closer to extinction. A hunter shot the leopard through the tail bone. It tumbled over and was then beaten over the head with a heavy object, WWF said. Amur leopards have not been know to attack humans.

"I lied and thats the truth"--Joran Van Der Sloot
LilPuma
Monkey Junky

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2007, 12:05:57 PM »

This is an announcement about a victory for wild horses in Congress.  The Humane Society of the US is still working to prevent horses from being sold and sent overseas for slaughter.  Go to www.HSUS.org if you want to read more and please contact your Senators and Reps.  
April 27, 2007

Permanent Ban on Horse Slaughter Advances in Congress

Dear ****,

Yesterday afternoon, the U.S. House of Representatives voted overwhelmingly (277-137) to restore a 34-year-old ban on the commercial sale and slaughter of America's wild horses and burros. On Wednesday, the bill to ban the sale and transport to slaughter of all American horses cleared a critical Senate committee by a decisive 15-7 vote. These victories move us even closer to banning horse slaughter in the United States permanently.

Here's what happened: Your U.S. Representative, *******, voted yes on the wild horse bill. Please call Representative ******** and express your thanks.

Your calls and emails are key to winning this fight. Everyday this past week, as I walked the halls of the House and Senate with other Humane Society of the United States staff, shoring up support for these two votes, every office we visited said the same thing: "We are getting a lot of phone calls from our constituents about the horses." Please help keep the momentum going:

Click here to urge support for restoring protections to wild horses and burros.
Click here to urge support for banning the slaughter of all horses.
To shut down the horse slaughter industry in the United States and to stop horses from being exported to other countries for slaughter -- where they face longer transports and an even more grisly death -- we need everyone who cares about horses to get involved. Please tell your friends, family and colleagues how they can help.
Thank you for your continued commitment to ending horse slaughter. Together, we have made tremendous progress. And together we will finish the job and shutter this barbaric business for good.

Sincerely,

Wayne Pacelle
President & CEO
The Humane Society of the United States

LilPuma
Monkey Junky

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2007, 12:08:12 PM »

Quote from: "*******"
Another senseless killing. After they killed the extremely rare and harmless cat they just left it there..

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070423/sc_nm/russia_leopard_dc

MOSCOW (Reuters) - Hunters in Russia's Far East have shot and killed one of the last seven surviving female Amur leopards living in the wild, WWF said on Monday, driving the species even closer to extinction. A hunter shot the leopard through the tail bone. It tumbled over and was then beaten over the head with a heavy object, WWF said. Amur leopards have not been know to attack humans.

I only wish the hunter had been shot instead.  When will we "evolve" to the point that killing an animal is no longer considered fun or sport.

memphis
Monkey Junky

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2007, 01:35:10 PM »

I'm very much an animal lover, but just wanted to post warning about Wayne Pacelle and the HSUS (NOT your local HS).

He/they have a definite agenda. Ultimately, they want to make it illegal to own pets.

When things calm down, I'll post some info.

He's a real weirdo.
LilPuma
Monkey Junky

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2007, 05:14:29 PM »

Quote from: "memphis"
I'm very much an animal lover, but just wanted to post warning about Wayne Pacelle and the HSUS (NOT your local HS).

He/they have a definite agenda. Ultimately, they want to make it illegal to own pets.

When things calm down, I'll post some info.

He's a real weirdo.

I know that both PETA and HSUS have some things on their plates that I disagree with.  In some cases, usually PETA, I agree with their cause but not their tactics.  The fact is, they also do some good things.  Like get some laws passed about animal fighting and horse slaughter.  Donations are another matter.  I'll send to local shelters, ASPCA, D.E.L.T.A Rescue or Black Beauty Ranch (you may have heard of them--they took in Katrina animals).  

Having said that, people should be informed, so I hope you will post some info about HSUS.

LilPuma
Monkey Junky

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2007, 11:36:00 AM »

Why I don't hate HSUS:  They got this legislation passed in Illinois.  They're working to expand it.  

e-mail from HSUS dated May 25, 2007:  

Horse Slaughter Halted in Illinois

Governor Signs HSUS-Backed Legislation Shuttering Nation's Last Horse Slaughter Plant

Dear ####

Good news!  

On May 24, horse slaughter for human consumption became illegal in Illinois when Governor Rod Blagojevich signed House Bill 1711 into law.

Sponsored by Rep. Bob Molaro (D, 21) and Sen. John Cullerton (D, 6), and backed by The HSUS, H.B. 1711 was passed decisively by the Illinois Legislature, with a Senate vote of 39-16 and a House vote of 74-41.

Effective immediately, this legislation also shut down the only horse slaughter facility operating in the United States, the Cavel International slaughterhouse in DeKalb. This is an incredible victory for horses and we are enormously grateful to all of the Illinois animal advocates who helped make it happen!

The HSUS has written to Cavel International officials to urge them to relinquish horses currently in their custody, en route to the facility or on Cavel property to sanctuaries. We have offered to coordinate the rescue and adoption of those animals, as we did with the 30 “Miracle Horses” rescued from Cavel last month.

It’s a historic moment that this statewide ban has passed, but our campaign to halt horse slaughter for human consumption at the national level continues. Unless Congress acts to protect horses, thousands of these creatures could face grueling trips to slaughter facilities in Canada and Mexico.

Take action now to help pass the American Horse Slaughter Prevention Act and ban horse slaughter for human consumption nationwide. Let us use the momentum from this exciting victory in Illinois to move forward with renewed vigor in our fight on the federal front.

Thank you for all you do for animals.

mrs. red
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2007, 04:38:56 PM »

So are there any thoughts about Micheal Vick and the dog fighting scandal?  I think he should be put in a cage and made to fight until he can't stand... and then .... well y'all can finish the rest...

and I was once a fan Confused  

I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOO disgusted and the NFL really needs to kick butt on this one

To accomplish great things we must not only act but also dream, not only plan but also believe.
Author: Anatole
LilPuma
Monkey Junky

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2007, 10:13:11 AM »

Quote from: "mrs. red"
So are there any thoughts about Micheal Vick and the dog fighting scandal?  I think he should be put in a cage and made to fight until he can't stand... and then .... well y'all can finish the rest...

I totally agree.

LilPuma
Monkey Junky

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2007, 10:15:11 AM »

EDWIN HALL, arrested for the murder of Kelsey Smith, has bragged on his MySpace page about harming animals.  This according to Mike & Juliet -- Jeanine Pirro and Geraldo are on and saying this.

LilPuma
Monkey Junky

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2007, 09:35:32 PM »

This is an e-mail I received from Defenders of Wildlife.  The e-mail said that Jeff Corwin, whom some may know from Animal Planet, spoke about this on the Today show.  

A Declaration of Independence
Once upon a time, the bald eagle was in trouble. Our national symbol had suffered from illegal hunting, habitat loss and the devastating effects of the pesticide DDT. It was so bad, that only a few hundred were left in the lower 48 states. But thanks to the efforts of dedicated conservationists and protections under the Endangered Species Act, this tale has a storybook ending. Just in time for this week's July 4th celebration, the bald eagle has declared its own independence of sorts, soaring off the list of endangered and threatened species -- hopefully to live happily ever after.

LilPuma
Monkey Junky

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2007, 01:17:34 AM »

I just posted on the FP (Vick article) a web address for CBS Chicago because they're having a special on dog fighting Thursday night (7-19, I believe) and I'm adding it here.  http://cbs2chicago.com/

I also tried a little googling experiment.  I typed in "dog fighting Peoria" and got lots of hits.  I typed in "dog fighting Cleveland" and lots of articles came up.  I then tried "dog fighting Oakland" and again got a lot of hits.  Please try this with your city and find out what's being done and what you can do to help put a stop to this.  

WATCH YOUR PETS!  As I also mentioned on the FP, they will steal pets to use as bait for their fighters.   Evil or Very Mad

LilPuma
Monkey Junky

« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2007, 01:18:48 AM »

Quote from: "mrs. red"

I couldn't agree more.

LilPuma
Monkey Junky

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2007, 07:43:28 PM »

Michael Vick pleaded not guilty to charges today.  Trial is scheduled for November.  He apologized to him mom for the turmoil, asked that people reserved judgment until all facts were in.  He was booed by crowds as he entered the courthouse.  

Here's an excerpt from the article I read:  

Vick contended he knew nothing about a dogfighting operation at the home, where one of his cousins lived, and said he rarely visited. He has since declined comment, citing his lawyer's advice.

Attorney Lawrence Woodward, who has also represented Allen Iverson and Vick's younger brother, Marcus, has not returned several phone messages.

Charged along with Vick are Purnell A. Peace, 35, of Virginia Beach; Quanis L. Phillips, 28, of Atlanta; and Tony Taylor, 34, of Hampton. They all face up to six years in prison, $350,000 in fines and restitution if convicted.

Animal rights organizations have seized on the case as an opportunity to raise awareness of the largely underground and always gruesome world of dogfighting, where two dogs are trained to fight to the death - sometimes for hours - until the end.

Early Thursday, activists, supporters of the athlete and the media gathered outside the federal courthouse. Some members of People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals dressed in dog costumes and carried signs, including one with the image of a battered pit bull and the words "Dogfighting Victim." Some people brought their dogs.

According to the indictment filed July 17, dogs not killed in the fighting pit were often shot, hanged, drowned or, in one case, slammed to the ground. The document says Vick was consulted before one losing dog was wet down and electrocuted.

It alleges that the dogfighting operation began in 2001, not long after Vick parlayed a dazzling two-year run as the quarterback at Virginia Tech into being the first overall selection in the NFL draft. His first contract was for $62 million. In 2004, he signed a 10-year, $130 million deal, then the richest in league history.

The indictment says the fights offered purses as high as $26,000, and that Vick once paid $23,000 to the owner of two pit bulls that had beaten Bad Newz Kennels dogs. That owner is one of four cooperating witnesses cited in the document.

Associated Press Writers Dionne Walker, Larry O'Dell and Michael Felberbaum contributed to this report.

http://tinyurl.com/3dw3kv

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP news report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press. All active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL.
2007-07-26 11:08:58

LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2007, 11:24:32 PM »

His career is over. Period.

Hope is everything. I see angels everywhere.
LilPuma
Monkey Junky

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2007, 05:51:39 PM »

I'd like to see this without the helmet or padding.  Like the dogs.

LilPuma
Monkey Junky

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2007, 11:27:34 PM »

The following is an e-mail I received from HSUS today.  

I know you heard from me earlier today or yesterday, but I wanted you to be one of the first to know: Nike announced today that it has suspended Michael Vick's contract without pay and will stop selling all Vick-related products at its stores.

This is a big victory, one that simply would not have happened without your action and those of more than 165,000 others.

As you know, the allegations against Michael Vick are so serious and disturbing that The Humane Society of the United called on his corporate backers to end their commercial relationships with the star player. I’m so pleased that Nike has signaled it has a zero tolerance policy for athletes who may be involved with staged animal fights and other forms of malicious animal cruelty.

Nike's statement reads as follows:

“Nike has suspended Michael Vick’s contract without pay, and will not sell any more Michael Vick product at Nike owned retail at this time. As we’ve said before, Nike is concerned by the serious and highly disturbing allegations made against Michael Vick and we consider any cruelty to animals inhumane and abhorrent.  However, we do believe that Michael Vick should be afforded the same due process as any citizen in the United States, therefore, we have not terminated our relationship.”

Also today, Reebok agreed to stop selling Michael Vick-branded products. The company does not have a contract with Vick but has an official relationship with the NFL to sell its merchandise.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.