March 28, 2024, 04:53:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Animal Rights Issues  (Read 34824 times)
mrs. red
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2007, 11:38:06 PM »

Very extra good news... did you see his hometown is giving him a group hug because he deserves a fair trial...

OMGoodness... I say just electrocute him!

To accomplish great things we must not only act but also dream, not only plan but also believe.
Author: Anatole
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2007, 04:09:28 PM »

I read that Mike Vick could get six years in jail for what he's done.  Make them dog years, and give him 72 years.   6 x 7= Mike Vick Jail Term.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
LilPuma
Monkey Junky

« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2007, 03:20:40 PM »

I read that Mike Vick could get six years in jail for what he's done.  Make them dog years, and give him 72 years.   6 x 7= Mike Vick Jail Term.

I love that idea!  I also think he should have to participate in a work-release program where he works at someplace like the ASPCA and sees abused or abandoned animals coming in and being cared for by caring humans.  He could clean out cages and disinfect the exam tables.   Smile

Our deeds are seeds and by them, we plant the world we will walk through tomorrow
LilPuma
Monkey Junky

« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2007, 03:22:37 PM »

U.S. House Votes to Take Horses Off the Menu

August 3, 2007

Late last night, the U.S. House of Representatives once again agreed to stop slaughtering American horses for human consumption, by adding a provision to the Agriculture spending bill for 2008 that prohibits the use of funds to allow horse slaughter to continue.

The funding restriction for horse slaughter was first enacted two years ago, but the USDA has stubbornly refused to implement the law, opting instead to charge horse slaughterhouses a per horse fee for inspection services. Although the federal district court in Washington, D.C. ruled last spring that USDA's scheme to circumvent Congress is unlawful, the ruling is on hold pending an appeal to the D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals, thus enabling horse slaughter to continue. This year's amendment, sponsored by Reps. John M. Spratt, Jr. (D-S.C.), Ed Whitfield (R-Ky.), Nick Rahall (D-W.Va.), and Ben Chandler (D-Ky.), was accepted with the strong support of Agriculture Appropriations Subcommittee Chairwoman Rosa DeLauro (D-Conn.).

"With anti-slaughter laws in Illinois and Texas, and now with this anti-slaughter language in a major spending bill in Congress, the writing is on the wall for the Belgian-owned slaughter plants in the United States," said Wayne Pacelle, president and CEO of The Humane Society of the United States. "The American people and their elected representatives want an end to horse slaughter -- not later, but right now."

https://community.hsus.org/ct/BpAzNuK1_Rko/

Our deeds are seeds and by them, we plant the world we will walk through tomorrow
LilPuma
Monkey Junky

« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2007, 05:35:33 PM »

According to Fox News, Michael Vick has pleaded guilty to dog fighting charges.  I'm sure you'll hear more on the news, and Red might doing more FP commentary.  But I'm hoping that this highly publicized case will make people more aware of the horrors of it AND the fact that it's going on everywhere.  Since I know many monkeys are from Alabama, I googled Dog Fighting Alabama.  Here's a recent article (excerpted): 

The most common abuse toward dogs that we receive calls about is dog fighting. I am a pit bull lover and have a pit bull of my own. The publicity and the reputation that these dogs have is false.

Dog fighting is a huge activity that takes place almost everywhere in Montgomery. Every day these dogs are put into this horrific situation for money and entertainment for people. A pit bull is a very loving animal, but when you take it and beat it, feed it hot peppers, gunpowder, blood and teach it to be violent, you will not have a friendly dog. You can take any animal and make it mean or you can take any animal and make it a loving pet.

The dog fighter sees the pit bull as a money making tool and basically betrays the trust of man's best friend. They take the pit bull and leave it chained up all day on a chain that weighs 80 to 100 pounds. They starve the animal, making it mean, and they cut the ears off with scissors or knives so the dog will not have its ears pulled off in a match.

These dog fighters have no remorse for what they do to these animals. If the dog does not perform in the pit, the owners themselves dispose of the animals. I have seen dogs that have been hanged, electrocuted, shot, beaten to death, set on fire while still alive, or just left to die in the owner's garage. We find their dead mutilated bodies beside the road or in dumpsters behind buildings.

The dog fighter's opinion of dog fighting is that "it's like boxing." How can you even make that comparison? If you are part of a sport like boxing or wrestling, you usually volunteer. These dogs have no choice; they do it or they are killed.

If you want to compare dog fighting to a human sport, it would have to be humans fighting with razor blades or knives. The dogs are biting, cutting each other with their teeth and tearing at each other's throats. It is a little more brutal than two humans boxing. A boxing match is also timed, but a dog fight can last anywhere from five minutes to five hours. Dog fighting is not a sport.

I am enjoying my time being a humane deputy; however, as you can see it is very hard. So many of the animals we help are injured, starved, sick or afraid of people, but most of them know that we are there to help them. When we remove animals from a cruel owner or an abandoned house, we know they will at least get the help they need.

We try to save as many as we can, but we know that we can not save them all. We try to give these animals some peace and comfort in their last few minutes, which is more than some have had in their entire lives.

Michael Morrow is a humane deputy with the Montgomery Humane Society.

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070813/OPINION0101/708100373

LilPuma
Monkey Junky

« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2007, 11:33:59 PM »

The Humane Society of the United States has charted an increase in law enforcement activity since the Vick indictment, with at least 32 animal fighting rings broken up in 15 states in just the last month alone. Vast numbers of other cases, however, need attention -- and to that end, we’ve doubled our standard reward to $5,000 for information leading to the arrest and conviction of dogfighters.

Our phones are ringing off the hook with requests for help by law enforcement officials, who often want our expertise in both investigating these crimes and coordinating the logistics involved in rescuing large numbers of animals from abusive situations.

This was from an e-mail from HSUS, so no link is available.

I do hope some of you will contact local officials and/or news sources and encourage more aggressive investigation and enforcement of laws that will close down these dog fighting rings. 

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2007, 02:06:27 PM »

A VERY GOOD YEAR FOR ANIMALS IN TEXAS
http://www.txfederation.org/Legislation.htm

Personally, I don't think I could call this a "very good year" for animals in Texas, but it's certainly an improvement as far as the changes in law. 

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
LilPuma
Monkey Junky

« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2007, 10:03:48 AM »

World Wildlife Fund (WWF) is asking people to vote for the cutest animal.  The field has been narrowed down and the 5 finalists are: 
Dolphins
Pandas
Penguins
Polar Bears
Snow Leopards

If you'd like to vote for the CUTEST, go here: 

http://tinyurl.com/2yzn6s

You will be subscribed to their e-newsletter, but you can always opt out later if you want. 

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2007, 11:51:58 AM »

World Wildlife Fund (WWF) is asking people to vote for the cutest animal.  The field has been narrowed down and the 5 finalists are: 
Dolphins
Pandas
Penguins
Polar Bears
Snow Leopards

You will be subscribed to their e-newsletter, but you can always opt out later if you want. 

But, but...How could I choose just one?  They are all so dang cute!

Observer
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2007, 12:46:41 PM »

Very extra good news... did you see his hometown is giving him a group hug because he deserves a fair trial...

OMGoodness... I say just electrocute him!

LOL!@Mrs.Red!! He will get his punishment someday and noo I am not talking about a year in prison and losing up to 100 million...Charma will  bite this guy in the face at some point..God Willing..

"I lied and thats the truth"--Joran Van Der Sloot
LilPuma
Monkey Junky

« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2007, 01:30:04 PM »

I hope some of you heard the discussion by Laurie from HSUS on Dana's show last night.  I wanted to relate two dog fighting instances that I saw on Animal Planet.  Mon - Friday, Animal Planet has a show at 10:00 eastern that follows animal cruelty investigators from NY, Phoenix, Miami, Detroit or San Fran.  One story shown was the NY animal cops getting a call about a dog fight in progress under a bridge.  The investigators went there and found a small group of young boys with a couple of pit bulls.  The fight didn't get started yet and the animal cops siezed the pit bulls because the kids weren't old enough to have pit bulls (apparently a NY law).  Turned out that one of the dogs had been stolen from a woman because this kid wanted a pit bull to fight!  The dog was a loving member of this woman's family, not "bred to fight".  Another was in Detroit where a little Chow mix puppy had been put in with a fighting dog and chewed up by it.  The fight was broken up with a water hose and when the Detroit investigators arrived, the little puppy was sitting on the front porch shaking, bleeding and dripping wet.  Of course the dogs were siezed and arrests were made and the Chow mix went on to heal and get adopted. 

As I've said before here, dog fighting rings will steal pets and use them as bait to train their fighting dogs.  Sometimes, puppies being offered as "free to a good home" will be taken and used to fight or as bait to train the fighters.   It's important that we not think this is rare or doesn't happen in our neighborhoods.  Watch for the signs that Laurie talked about and call police.  If police in your area don't take it seriously, contact the local humane society, HSUS, ASPCA or the Animal Legal Defense Fund. 

mrs. red
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2007, 11:07:22 PM »

I get absoulutely livid at this ... can't even think of how people can be so damn cruel...

To accomplish great things we must not only act but also dream, not only plan but also believe.
Author: Anatole
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2007, 03:20:35 PM »

"Whoopi on 'The View,' Day Two: She Doesn't Condone Michael Vick's Dogfighting"
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/09/05/AR2007090502493.html

What do you all think of this?  I don't buy the culture thing on this one myself.   There is just absolutely no excuse for the way the dogs were treated.  NONE!!  jmho of course 

LilPuma
Monkey Junky

« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2007, 04:34:45 PM »

Muffy, I agree there's no excuse.  Even if their upbringing included dog fighting and cruelty as "acceptable", it's still illegal and an adult still has a choice whether or not to engage in cruel and abusive behavior.  I also get Whoopi's point, which is if we're going to solve the problem, we have to go to the source of it. 

LilPuma
Monkey Junky

« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2007, 11:54:06 AM »

The World Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals is sponsoring a petition asking the United Nations to take action on behalf of animals worldwide.  If you'd like to read and sign this petition, here's a link. 

http://tinyurl.com/386v2s

The WSPCA is the organization that went into Iraq and Afghanistan to help animals after the US invasions. 

LilPuma
Monkey Junky

« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2007, 06:33:07 AM »

Dolphins
Pandas
Penguins
Polar Bears
Snow Leopards

But, but...How could I choose just one?  They are all so dang cute!

A winner has been chosen!  Over 23,000 of you voted for the animal you wanted to win. You narrowed a field of 40 animals to one, and we're pleased to announce that the winner of WWF's World's Cutest Animal Contest is the panda! 
If you'd like to read more about WWF's efforts at conservation and protection of the Panda, here's a link: 
http://wwf.worldwildlife.org/site/PageNavigator/WCA2007_Result?enews=enews0907c

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2007, 10:34:22 AM »

Awwww.  Well, if only one had to be chosen, the panda is an excellent choice. 

pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2007, 12:46:35 PM »

My kids went to see Jack Hanna last night. He is truly a wonderful, and kind man, and he was very nice to my son who was shy about meeting him. He has much to say about endangered species, and how we can help. He is very dedicated to his mission, and he's a good ambassador for vulnerable animals who face extinction. Some of his stories are heartbreaking.
My children learned a lot from his lecture, and even got to see some very rare animals. It was a wonderful experience.
After hearing what Jack Hanna had to say, I am even more worried about how we treat our planet, our animals that are so dependent on us, and what it says about us as humans when we don't treat animals with care, and try to protect their environment. If we destroy the world for them, then we are also destroying it for ourselves. Why is that so hard to understand?
If someone thinks it's ok to adopt a puppy under false pretenses, and use it as bait for a fighting dog in this country, how can we criticize someone poaching in Africa to feed his family?
We have to change attitudes in the US as well as in Africa and China, and the rest of the world.
This dog-fighting scandal just highlights how universal animal mistreatment really is, and how callous some people can be.

What's done in the dark will always come to light.
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2007, 04:30:31 PM »

When are people going to start taking some responsibility?  This is going on and he didn't know?!  He better get some better friends or employees.  Just ask Mike Vick about that...
DMX's Dogs Died Violently, Sheriff Says
by Josh Grossberg
Mon, 24 Sep 2007 12:12:14 PM PDT
http://www.eonline.com/news/article/index.jsp?uuid=596a07ba-9e34-4315-97ed-b146484ab53c&sid=fd-news
(snipped)Maricopa County Sheriff's deputies raided the 36-year-old rapper's property in the suburb of Cave Creek on Aug. 24, after being tipped off about possible animal cruelty. The deputies evacuated 12 half starved pit bulls that had been caged without proper food and water in the desert heat.

Also found were the remains of three dogs, a stockpile of assault weapons and ammunition, a quarter-ounce of marijunana and drug paraphernalia. Meanwhile, a mysterious white powder recovered from the homestead tested negative as an illicit drug.

A spokesman for the Maricopa County Sheriff's Department confirmed that necropsies showed one of the dead dogs sustained bite wounds, while another exhibited major trauma to its abdomen. The third animal was burned beyond recognition, preventing investigators from reaching any definitive conclusions.

Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio said no charges have yet been brought against the rapper, whose real name is Earl Simmons, or any of his associates. But that could change, especially if officers reconstructing a timeline determine DMX was at the residence at the time of the abuse.

"Someone's going to have to pay for this," Arpaio told the Associated Press. "We have 12 dogs who were abused and 3 dogs buried in the yard—someone's going to have to pay."
(snipped)
------------------------------------
Mike Vick had tried to say he was hardly ever around his  house where the dead and abused dogs and fighting paraphenalia was found.  Sounds like same thing DMX is pleading.  Whether they were  home or not, does that mean they had no knowledge of what was going on there, EVER?!  This doesn't appear like some stray, one time deal.  Something bad was going on at this house with the poor animals over time.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2007, 04:40:10 PM »

Well, well, well.  Looky here.  It seems this isn't the first time DMX has been called to question on his treatment of animals.  This would be a second strike, imo...
(snipped)
The hardcore hip-hopster faced remarkably similar allegations in 1999, when police raided his home in Teaneck, New Jersey, and discovered enough guns to arm a militia and 13 caged pit bulls. He copped a plea in 2002 to avoid jail time and was ordered to make a series of PSAs urging children to be wary of guns and kind to animals.
http://www.eonline.com/news/article/index.jsp?uuid=f000bf7b-2d8c-4d62-8bb5-7a635b3b9b16&entry=index
---------------------------------------
This article doesn't comment on the condition of the dogs other than that they were caged.  But to avoid jail time he was ordered to make a series of PSA's to be wary of guns and kind to animals.  Makes me believe there was a highly paid legal team on this one and he got off lightly.  And once again, he's back with firearms and dog problems.  Don't know yet if the firearms were legal, but the dogs were in bad shape.  Doesn't look like the little hand slap (even IF it could be called that) had much influence on DMX.  Having to make a Public Service Announcements to be kind to animals just didn't seem to work this last time.  Give DMX a sentence with a little more TEETH in it or a BITE to it.  Pun intended.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.