April 18, 2024, 10:16:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: No Gas Day on May 15th? Yes or No?  (Read 5121 times)
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« on: May 06, 2007, 05:21:56 PM »

I received this from an 'activist' friend via email today, would love to hear everyone's thoughts?

MARK THIS DAY ON YOUR CALENDAR!!!!    

MAY 15TH 2007.

FW: No Gas On May 15th ..

Passing it on, tell your friends?.

NO GAS...On May 15th 2007
Don't pump gas on MAY 15th
In April 1997, there was a "gas out" conducted nationwide in protest of gas prices.  Gasoline prices dropped 30 cents a gallon overnight.

On May 15th 2007, all internet users are to not go to a gas station in protest of high gas prices. Gas is now over $3.00 a gallon in most places.

There are 73,000,000+ American members currently on the internet network, and the average car takes about 30 to 50 dollars to fill up.

If all users did not go to the pump on the 15th, it would take $2,292,000,000.00 (that's almost 3 BILLION) out of the oil companies pockets for just one day, so please do not go to the gas station on May 15th and lets try to put a dent in the Middle Eastern oil industry for at
least one day.

If you agree (which I cant see why you wouldn't) resend this to all your contact list. With it saying, ''Don't pump gas on May 15th"

"God Bless America"

I continue to stand with the girl.
justinsmama
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2007, 05:47:12 PM »

I received the same, none. I have no idea whether it will impact the oil companies or not. My guess is the latter, but I'll join in that day as a gesture of protest. Fat lot of good it will do. Thankfully, I moved close to my job and no longer commute.

GreatOwl
Monkey Junky

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2007, 07:04:12 PM »

It is not logical that not buying gas on one day would have the slightest effect in the long run, it will have no impact what so ever.  So everyone goes to the pump on the 14th or the 16th, the same amount of fuel will be used.  What would have an impact is at the end of each month every driver in American could say they drove 1,000 miles less.

The only way to impact the oil companies is to consistanly drive fewer miles each year, car pool more, use existing multitransit.  Over even a short time the impact will not have any affect because prices are driven by supply and demand economics.  Have you noticed that prices rise before holidays or vacation periods.  Even if we drive fewer miles for a month or so, the gas companies will just raise prices temporarily so as to keep their profit margin high.

The only way of having any real affect on oil companies, short of using an alternate fuel, is to change the buying habits of our entire population and that is not going to happen.

"May you have the hindsight to know where you've been,
 the foresight to know where you're going and
 the insight to know when you've gone too far."
GreatOwl
Monkey Junky

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2007, 07:15:02 PM »

Here is the history of this # 1 rated Urban legend.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/gasoline/gasout.asp

justinsmama
Monkey Junky

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2007, 09:45:46 PM »

I figured as much, GO.

LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2007, 10:42:13 PM »

Great Owl,

I'm willing to boycott gas if it would be helpful. Currently, I combine all my errands to save on gas when I drive across town. It recently cost me over $45 to fill my 15 gallon tank. That amount is very high but when I think about it in the whole scheme of things, $45 is insignificant. If I go grocery shopping, I will pay way more than $45. Could be $145. My water and power bill is always close to $200. Health insurance is $818 per month. Car payment is $358. For me personally, I will pay whatever gas costs as I need it and it is cheap compared to my other expenses.

Hope is everything. I see angels everywhere.
GreatOwl
Monkey Junky

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2007, 11:28:59 PM »

Yes Louise,  I know it is much more expense to live where you are.  My step son just moved to LA to pursue his music career.  He has only been there since Sept. and he has had sticker shock with most of his expenses.  While you have some higher cost, we have our heating bills here in the Frozen Tundra" and it does get expensive.

I have only driven my car about 2,000 miles since October.  I can manage to do this because I am retired and am not on any type of work demand schedule.  We live in a society which has many ridgid time schedules and demands if those who are employed wish to stay that way.  

I too would participate in any type of action that could lower our cost for many things.  However, I do have not heard of anything logical to come out yet.  I am trying to do research on how to grow a money tree.  It may be the only way I can survive in the coming years.  Sad

nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2007, 08:57:46 AM »

GO-

Thanks for debunking that one, I was scratching my head trying to figure out how one day of boycott could produce such results but I was too lazy to do the math  Laughing Actually I doubt if I can or ever will retire, for it is becoming so hard to build a nest egg in this day and age large enough to compensate for the fact there may be no SSA benefits by that time and with inflation to boot.  Confused

I continue to stand with the girl.
Bobo2
Scared Monkey

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2007, 01:49:39 PM »

I wonder how many are not buying gas today?  The price jumped here from $3.18 to $3.38.

Also today we got rid of a gas-hogging 4wd SUV and bought a new Toyota Corolla, thus more than doubling our mpg.
GreatOwl
Monkey Junky

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2007, 06:07:14 PM »

I have not purchased any gas in over 16 days.  I will need to sometime next week.  In the mean time gas has risen 35 cents.  In fact just prior to today's "gasout" all stations in this area raised prices by a minimum of 5 cents.  I bet those companies really took a beating today.  Wink

Now if we really wish to be serious about gas prices we would all begin to carpool, walk, ride a bike or use public transportation.  I do not see it happening, do you?

It is also very interesting that for the third year in a row, politicians around here are holding hearings on whether the buying public is being gouged on gas prices.  Politics!!!!!!!  Of course we are, the oil companies admit it.  They have a right to charge whatever people will pay.  I have yet to see one politician return a dime to my pocket.

Bobo2
Scared Monkey

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2007, 07:13:15 PM »

Quote from: "GreatOwl"

Now if we really wish to be serious about gas prices we would all begin to carpool, walk, ride a bike or use public transportation.  I do not see it happening, do you?

I can't speak for anyone else, buy my family is definitely making changes.  We live out in the boondocks, so no public transportation is available.  BUT as I mentioned above, we traded cars for the sole purpose of improving gas mileage.  Also, we dug out and dusted off an old Honda 80cc scooter from the garage and got it running for quick errands and transportation to football workouts this summer instead of a car.  And we are doing more carpooling for kids than we had previously.
GreatOwl
Monkey Junky

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2007, 08:21:53 PM »

I just watched the tv news broadcast locally where they interviewed a woman (20 something) and she was saying that since she only lived three blocks from work she should walk or ride a bike.  However, probably would not because it meant she would have to get up 15 minutes earlier in the morning.

What has happened to the youth of today.  Why in my day we walked 5 miles up hill both ways in 4 feet of snow!!!!   Laughing  Actually when I grew up families were fortunate to have one car and often times we did walk several miles to get where we wanted to go.  I had friends who came from families that did not own a car.  Yet, gas prices are on a ratio today with what they were in those years considering family income and the cost of living.  The biggest difference I believe is that there is less money going to sellers and more to the big oil companies.

I just hope my pension and SS can keep up with the way things are going these days.  I read an article today on how most a rise there has been in the cost of living.  Of course, they do add that the cost of living is figured without the cost of fuel and food.  

Why is that.  Aren't those pretty essential commodities in our lives?  I sure would like to stay warm and feel like my stomach is full.

Meice pudding is becoming more expensive because the energy to grind those little critters up is becoming much more expensive!!!!

Dihannah1
Monkey All Star Jr.

God watch over our children and keep them safe.

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2007, 11:17:44 PM »

Here is an alternative idea I received from several people.  May work better......  

GAS WAR - an idea that WILL work

This was originally sent by a retired Coca Cola executive. It came from one of his engineer buddies who retired from Halliburton. It ' s worth your consideration.

Join the resistance!!!! I hear we are going to hit close to $4.00 a gallon by next summer and it might go higher!! Want gasoline prices to come down? We need to take some intelligent, united action. Phillip Hollsworth offered this good idea.

This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the "don't buy gas on a certain day" campaign that was going around last April or May! The oil companies just laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't continue to "hurt" ourselves by refusing to buy gas. It was more of an inconvenience to us than it was a problem for them.

BUT, whoever thought of this idea, has come up with a plan that can really work. Pl! ease rea d on and join wi th us! By now you're probably thinking gasoline
priced at about $1.50 is super cheap. Me too! It is currently $2.79 for regular unleaded in my town. Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us to think that the cost of a gallon of gas is CHEAP at $1.50 - $1.75, we need to take aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS control the
marketplace..... not sellers. With the price of gasoline going up more each day, we consumers need to take action. The only way we are going to see the price of gas come down is if we hit someone in the pocketbook by not purchasing their gas! And, we can do that WITHOUT hurting ourselves. How? Since we all rely on our cars, we can't just stop buying gas. But we CAN have an impact on gas prices if we all act together to force a price war.

Here's the idea:

For the rest of this year, DON'T purchase ANY gasoline from the two biggest companies (which now are one), EXXON and MOBIL. If they are not selling any !
gas, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit.

But to have an impact, we need to reach literally millions of Exxon and Mobil gas buyers. It's really simple to do! Now, don't wimp out at this point.... keep reading and I'll explain how simple it is to reach millions of people.

I am sending this note to 30 people. If each of us sends it to at least ten more (30 x 10 =3D 300) ... and those 300 send it to at least ten more (300 x 10 =3D 3,000)...and so on, by the time the message reaches the sixth group of people, we will have reached over THREE MILLION consumers. If those three million get excited and pass this on to ten friends each, then 30 million people will have been contacted! If it goes one level further, you guessed it..... THREE
>>>>HUNDRED MILLION >>>>PEOPLE!!!

Again, all you have to do is send this to 10 people. That'! s all. ( If you don't understand how we can reach 300 million and all you have to do is send this to 10 people.... Well, let's face it, you just aren't a mathematician. But I am, so trust me on this one.)

How long would all that take? If each of us sends this e-mail out to ten more people within one day of receipt, all 300 MILLION people could conceivably be contacted within the next 8 days!!!

I'll bet you didn't think you and I
had that much potential, di d you?

Acting together we can make a difference. If this makes sense to you, please pass this message on. I suggest that we not buy from EXXON/MOBIL UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES TO THE $1.30 RANGE AND KEEP THEM DOWN.

THIS CAN REALLY WORK.

God has FINAL Judgement!<br />
GreatOwl
Monkey Junky

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2007, 11:55:18 PM »

bump,  

you will find that idea as false also.    the only way to reduce the price will be to reduce the amount of gas we use from all sources for a prolonged period of time.

Bobo2
Scared Monkey

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2007, 07:28:16 AM »

Quote from: GreatOwl

the only way to reduce the price will be to reduce the amount of gas we use from all sources for a prolonged period of time.

Agreed, and if everyone just cut consumption by 10 per cent it would make a difference.
GreatOwl
Monkey Junky

« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2007, 08:58:30 AM »

Gas prices hit another record high
AAA's average for a gallon of regular tops $3.10 for first time, the fourth daily record high in a row; more price rises seen.
May 16 2007: 8:21 AM EDT

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Gasoline prices hit a record high for the fourth straight day Wednesday, according to the daily reading on gas prices from AAA, and more records could be on the way.

http://money.cnn.com/2007/05/16/news/economy/record_gas_prices/index.htm?eref=rss_topstories

Dihannah1
Monkey All Star Jr.

God watch over our children and keep them safe.

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2007, 05:08:45 PM »

bump,  

you will find that idea as false also.    the only way to reduce the price will be to reduce the amount of gas we use from all sources for a prolonged period of time.

Cool site,  I've heard of it, never knew what it was or visited.  Thanks!

Your right GO, we do need to reduce our consumption in every way we can.

God has FINAL Judgement!<br />
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.