November 22, 2017, 02:24:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION
 
   Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SOME COMPUTER HEALTH - TOOLS  (Read 65352 times)
0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Carnut
Monkey Junky
***
Offline Offline

Posts: 3882


« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2006, 10:39:04 PM »

I'm still an advocate of free software whenever possible.

I use and recommend:

ZoneAlarm Free Firewall

Download and install the ZoneAlarm firewall as the 'Free' version, both versions are provided in the download but all you need is the free version and you have to pay attention to the install routine to make sure you don't signup for the 'Pro' pay version.

AVG Free Antivirus

Down load and install the 'Free' version only, the install routine will suggest you do the 'Pro' upgrade but the 'Free' AVG 7.5 is all that's needed.

Adaware   SE Personal anti spyware

Download and install and run regularly.

I posted above about a great inline hardware device to be used in addition to these software programs for securing your pc.
Logged
2NJSons_Mom
Monkey All Star
*****
Offline Offline

Posts: 11324



« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2006, 07:03:46 PM »

Thanks, Carnut & Louise.   My son talked to a local technician and is going to have a backup drive added and an upgrade to XP....it's running on Windows 98 which is obsolete...I do appreciate your advise.
Logged

R.I.P Dear 2NJ - say hi to Peaches for us!

I expect a miracle _Peaches ~ ~ May She Rest In Peace.

SOMEONE KNOWS THE TRUTH  

None of us here just fell off the turnip truck. - Magnolia
LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky
***
Offline Offline

Posts: 2524



« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2006, 09:09:59 PM »

2NJSons-Mom,

You have the right idea. Upgrade to XP with the latest Service Pack files.

As far as a backup drive, you can get an EXTERNAL one and back everything up onto that. It just plugs into the port on the front of the computer tower. I also use my "D" drive for all my personal stuff and only use the "C" to access the Internet. Last time I crashed, Microsoft gave me that advice. My C drive with the programs may crash but never my D drive or my external drive so I'll always have my pics and other stuff.

And I would run an antivirus, antispyware program every single night.
Logged

Hope is everything. I see angels everywhere.
Florida
Monkey Junky Jr.
**
Offline Offline

Posts: 964


« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2006, 09:33:54 PM »

Louise...I just visited the AAV website...
Which they recommmended not to do.....virus'.  Confused

I notice in my drop-down Yahoo Search Box searches for people in Aruba!
People I am not famiiar with....... Shocked

anthony+genna+aruba ??????

What do you think? TIA!
Logged
LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky
***
Offline Offline

Posts: 2524



« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2006, 10:15:11 PM »

Dear Florida,

Hi, how are you tonight honey?

I don't think I can be of much help. I don't know anything about the AAV website. I'm a strict Windows XP user. I don't use free programs for anything. I only use Google for searching. I don't trust Yahoo. I purchase my Antivirus software because it is good, not very expensive, plus they have toll free phone support.

I feel for you, though, about having the drop down search box listing unfamiliar people from Aruba. I don't have a clue.

Louise
Logged

Hope is everything. I see angels everywhere.
Florida
Monkey Junky Jr.
**
Offline Offline

Posts: 964


« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2006, 10:37:14 PM »

Thanks so much....

This happened before...you would not believe the "odd/yet familiar looking" searches

 Rolling Eyes
Logged
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star
*
Offline Offline

Posts: 74215



WWW
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2006, 12:02:28 AM »

Florida, I'm running a virus scan on my PC and posting now from my laptop.  I went to that site too and I'm just trying to be certain.
Logged

If you need to get into the forum and have forgotten your password, email me and I'll reset it for you: smklaas@hotmail.com
2NJSons_Mom
Monkey All Star
*****
Offline Offline

Posts: 11324



« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2006, 10:46:42 AM »

Quote from: "LouiseVargas"
2NJSons-Mom,

You have the right idea. Upgrade to XP with the latest Service Pack files.

As far as a backup drive, you can get an EXTERNAL one and back everything up onto that. It just plugs into the port on the front of the computer tower. I also use my "D" drive for all my personal stuff and only use the "C" to access the Internet. Last time I crashed, Microsoft gave me that advice. My C drive with the programs may crash but never my D drive or my external drive so I'll always have my pics and other stuff.

And I would run an antivirus, antispyware program every single night.


Yes, Louise, we are familiar with external drives, and I've often advised my son that one should be purchased to protect files as you've described.  Thanks, again.
Logged

R.I.P Dear 2NJ - say hi to Peaches for us!

I expect a miracle _Peaches ~ ~ May She Rest In Peace.

SOMEONE KNOWS THE TRUTH  

None of us here just fell off the turnip truck. - Magnolia
memphis
Monkey Junky
***
Offline Offline

Posts: 1187



« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2006, 08:14:08 PM »

Quote from: "Carnut"
Quote from: "memphis"
I am on Roadrunner Business Class and the entire area is wireless.

Does anyone know if it's possible to "lock down" my access?

What kind of danger am I in if it cannot be locked down?


What do you mean by 'lock down' your access?

If you have a wireless access device on your premises, it should have the ability to have password only access as well as encripted communication.

If you mean you have a pc with wireless access and want to keep it from being accessed by other wireless devices then your wireless connection should be made to a wireless access device with a password and an encripted connection.

If you mean to keep your pc safe from hackers and virus's then you need the standard 'firewall' and 'anti-virus' and 'anti adware' program/devices in your system.


Thanks for trying to help. Let me try again. I live in a protype wireless communitiy. I get free wireless access. If you walk down my street with a laptop, you would have many choices for accessing the internet.

I don't think I can secure it, since it is not mine. I guess my question is, how easy is it for someone to get access to my pc through an open wireless connection?
Logged
Carnut
Monkey Junky
***
Offline Offline

Posts: 3882


« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2006, 10:52:01 PM »

Quote from: "memphis"
Quote from: "Carnut"
Quote from: "memphis"
I am on Roadrunner Business Class and the entire area is wireless.

Does anyone know if it's possible to "lock down" my access?

What kind of danger am I in if it cannot be locked down?


What do you mean by 'lock down' your access?

If you have a wireless access device on your premises, it should have the ability to have password only access as well as encripted communication.

If you mean you have a pc with wireless access and want to keep it from being accessed by other wireless devices then your wireless connection should be made to a wireless access device with a password and an encripted connection.

If you mean to keep your pc safe from hackers and virus's then you need the standard 'firewall' and 'anti-virus' and 'anti adware' program/devices in your system.


Thanks for trying to help. Let me try again. I live in a protype wireless communitiy. I get free wireless access. If you walk down my street with a laptop, you would have many choices for accessing the internet.

I don't think I can secure it, since it is not mine. I guess my question is, how easy is it for someone to get access to my pc through an open wireless connection?


Well, OK, then your only protection is whatever devices you have on your PC itself or whatever home network you might have.

Actually I would never recommend anyone to use wireless as a home network because wireless is the most insecure method of communication.

Wired is always safer.

Just as you say, you can walk down the street and access wireless and it's a great convenience, but also you are giving up security to gain that convenience. Even with an industry standard encryption connection, it's still vunerable to the bad guy types.  

Again a Firewall, Anti-virus, and spyware program on your PC and proper configuration of your PC's sharing setup are all you can do to keep a wireless connected PC safe. But then again a wireless connection is still there for a nefarious type to figure out how to brake into.
Logged
memphis
Monkey Junky
***
Offline Offline

Posts: 1187



« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2006, 08:50:37 PM »

Thank you Carnut.

Just to be sure, what would "proper configuration of your PC's sharing setup" mean? How do I check that? I think I know, but want to be sure.

Thanks again!
Logged
Carnut
Monkey Junky
***
Offline Offline

Posts: 3882


« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2006, 12:43:11 AM »

Quote from: "memphis"
Thank you Carnut.

Just to be sure, what would "proper configuration of your PC's sharing setup" mean? How do I check that? I think I know, but want to be sure.

Thanks again!


Well here's some microsoft info folder shareing:

How to disable simplified file sharing in WinXP

How To Disable File Sharing

Here's a little more info on shared folders on WinXP

Shared Folders Overview

Here's what microsoft thinks you should do with a firewall:

Benefits of a firewall
Logged
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star
*
Offline Offline

Posts: 74215



WWW
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2007, 10:17:46 AM »

testing date
Logged

If you need to get into the forum and have forgotten your password, email me and I'll reset it for you: smklaas@hotmail.com
Shell
Monkey Junky
***
Offline Offline

Posts: 3550



« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2007, 06:09:33 PM »

cleanup
http://www.stevengould.org/software/cleanup/

crap cleaner  
use this to take out orphans and fix program errors

http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/


******************************************************************************
make new folder and download into it
hijack this
http://www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/

scroll down... link for download is on left

to analyse log
http://www.hijackthis.de/

******************************************************************************
spyware removers
adaware by lavasoft
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download506.html
Logged

*Avatar courtesy of CBB, a very talented and sweet monkey. Peaches and 2NJ, may you rest in peace. You will never be forgotten.
Shell
Monkey Junky
***
Offline Offline

Posts: 3550



« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2007, 06:23:30 PM »

I am not sure if I have mentioned this one before, but it cleans registry too, and as with all my recommendations, it is free.

http://www.ccleaner.com/update/?v=1.40.520&l=1033

My routine is:
AVG free
CCleaner
Ad-AwareSE
Spybot-Search and Destroy
Clean up (http://www.stevengould.org/software/cleanup/)

All the above is free, all is easy to use.
Logged

*Avatar courtesy of CBB, a very talented and sweet monkey. Peaches and 2NJ, may you rest in peace. You will never be forgotten.
GreatOwl
Monkey Junky
***
Offline Offline

Posts: 1427



« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2007, 10:01:44 PM »

Quote from: "klaasend"
Quote from: "IBE"
Any MAC users out there??? Any ideas?

Thanks,

IBE

IBE - I'm pretty sure that KATZ is a MAC user.


me too !!!!
Logged

"May you have the hindsight to know where you've been,
 the foresight to know where you're going and
 the insight to know when you've gone too far."
GreatOwl
Monkey Junky
***
Offline Offline

Posts: 1427



« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2007, 10:13:33 PM »

I just ran across this thread.  If there are Mac users that have questions I will try to help.  We really don't have problems with virus invasion and other problems that PC's seem to encounter.  There are usually ways around many of the incompatibilities, but it does take some experimentation.

I use mostly Safari, but do have Netscape, IE and FireFox loaded on the computer.  I have one other browser I had to download for a reason I can't remember any more and I can't even think of the name now.  I used it for one stupid website and haven't touched it since.

I love Safari, but there are many websites that will not accept it.  The medicare site and IRS insist on using FireFox.  FireFox is very slow and cumbersome so I use it as little as possible.  I do like the "Stumble Upon" feature, but beyond that it is a burden.

IE and Netscape keep saying (last 4 years) that they will come up with a new browser for Mac, but they still have not gotten around to it.   Those browsers offer very poor support for the Mac.
Logged

"May you have the hindsight to know where you've been,
 the foresight to know where you're going and
 the insight to know when you've gone too far."
Lost in Time
Scared Monkey
*
Offline Offline

Posts: 2


« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2007, 08:22:08 AM »

I hope this goes in the right place.........if not please excuse me.
I have just dumped all the info and reinstalled most things on one of my computers.  I have put avg on and I've been going through you"re post to find the best spyware and registry cleaner.  My issue at this time is everytime I start the computer I get the message boot from ATAPI CD rom: failure...Any help appreciated....
Logged
2NJSons_Mom
Monkey All Star
*****
Offline Offline

Posts: 11324



« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2007, 10:31:17 AM »

Quote from: "Lost in Time"
I hope this goes in the right place.........if not please excuse me.
I have just dumped all the info and reinstalled most things on one of my computers.  I have put avg on and I've been going through you"re post to find the best spyware and registry cleaner.  My issue at this time is everytime I start the computer I get the message boot from ATAPI CD rom: failure...Any help appreciated....


Hello, Lost in Time & welcome.  I am not a computer wizard, but did a search using your error.  I found a current link to a forum where someone had a similar issue.  Some of the others I found mentioned that the hard drive should boot first, asks what version of Windows is being used, BIOS, etc.  That is where I was getting lost.  You might want to search yourself, to see if you can figure it out.

Anyway, here is the link to the most current forum I found...not sure it will help:

http://tinyurl.com/2ht9po
Logged

R.I.P Dear 2NJ - say hi to Peaches for us!

I expect a miracle _Peaches ~ ~ May She Rest In Peace.

SOMEONE KNOWS THE TRUTH  

None of us here just fell off the turnip truck. - Magnolia
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star
*
Offline Offline

Posts: 74215



WWW
« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2007, 07:58:25 PM »

Here is the link to the Photobucket Meez site where you can build your  own animated avatar:

http://photobucket.com/meez

Like this...



Or this...
 Laughing


They must be resized smaller for use as an avatar.
Logged

If you need to get into the forum and have forgotten your password, email me and I'll reset it for you: smklaas@hotmail.com
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »   Go Up
  Print  
 
Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.
Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC
 
Page created in 1.865 seconds with 19 queries.