March 28, 2024, 12:45:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SOME COMPUTER HEALTH - TOOLS  (Read 105544 times)
NCSunny
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #120 on: June 30, 2010, 06:59:17 PM »

some new and old tools to help your system out. All free. This will help you with all the clog that occurs with forum posting.

Below is one of the best tools I have found. Download and follow the instructions as usual. There is a free RAM application. I use the tool in order - Maintain Windows, then Diagnose System and then Individual Utilities. I use internet booster and set my setting to 1 gig. It will not hurt your system to allow this setting. I know many do not have this setting / speed, but an open portal is best. Your connection speed will improve. I have Fios and 79mps but still set it to 1 gig.

http://www.iobit.com/advancedwindowscareper.html

That is best free overall tool I have seen.

Steven Gould's Clean Up - we have been using this for years, and I think it was snoopy that brought it over. This is a great tool and wipes out all junk files and obsolete video, and text files.

http://www.stevengould.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=15&Itemid=69

TY Rob for the helpful advice. I have been using ASC for a few years now, and you are right, it covers a lot of issues.

I have never seen the Clean Up app, but d/l it and ran it and it cleaned out over 9mb of junk. I like the fact that you can run it in 'demo' mode and see what it finds before it actually cleans.

Again, thanks!

NCSunny

wreck
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #121 on: June 30, 2010, 08:12:25 PM »

some new and old tools to help your system out. All free. This will help you with all the clog that occurs with forum posting.

Below is one of the best tools I have found. Download and follow the instructions as usual. There is a free RAM application. I use the tool in order - Maintain Windows, then Diagnose System and then Individual Utilities. I use internet booster and set my setting to 1 gig. It will not hurt your system to allow this setting. I know many do not have this setting / speed, but an open portal is best. Your connection speed will improve. I have Fios and 79mps but still set it to 1 gig.

http://www.iobit.com/advancedwindowscareper.html

That is best free overall tool I have seen.

Steven Gould's Clean Up - we have been using this for years, and I think it was snoopy that brought it over. This is a great tool and wipes out all junk files and obsolete video, and text files.

http://www.stevengould.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=15&Itemid=69

I use "Advanced System Care" as well. I paid for the "Pro" version (well worth it) but the "Free" version is just fine for most everyone! I highly recommend it!

Gizzie
Monkey Junky

« Reply #122 on: June 30, 2010, 08:52:25 PM »

Maybe someone could help me with an issue I'm having?

I've had my laptop for about 4 months now and it ran perfect til a week or two ago. Now, when I go to open a new tab, the thingy stops spinning, Firefox says not responding, but after a minute or so the page loads. It is noticeably slower than before too.

It never did this. And I had another laptop I used before this one that did it as well. It's an HP and came installed with some program that scans it once a week and deletes the files, etc, and it hasn't detected any problems, but I'm a newbie with computers and really don't know of any solutions.

But this is very annoying! And I would really appreciate any advice anyone could give me!

wreck
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #123 on: July 01, 2010, 12:38:05 AM »

Maybe someone could help me with an issue I'm having?

I've had my laptop for about 4 months now and it ran perfect til a week or two ago. Now, when I go to open a new tab, the thingy stops spinning, Firefox says not responding, but after a minute or so the page loads. It is noticeably slower than before too.

It never did this. And I had another laptop I used before this one that did it as well. It's an HP and came installed with some program that scans it once a week and deletes the files, etc, and it hasn't detected any problems, but I'm a newbie with computers and really don't know of any solutions.

But this is very annoying! And I would really appreciate any advice anyone could give me!
Without knowing more details, it sounds more like your internet connection. Being a laptop, I assume you have a wireless connection. You are probably having some issue with your router or may be "out of range".

wreck
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #124 on: July 01, 2010, 12:53:04 AM »

....... I hope you aren't basing your "problem" on your experience with "Scared Monkeys" ------- we are ALL having that same problem!! Wink

Rob
Monkey All Star

« Reply #125 on: July 01, 2010, 09:45:38 AM »

Gizzie- I periodically have the same problem with Firefox. Lots of no responding. This sometimes has to do with CPU usage. And sometimes not.

Here is Mozilla's latest version of Firefox. 3.6.6

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/

I would close Firefox, and then open Explorer, and then download - reopen Firefox and the updated version will install.

I don't have that problem with Opera or Explorer - only Firefox.

You might consider running a malware / adware type program too - that stuff makes your system noticeably slower. There are free programs listed on the previous pages.

Hope this helps and you are well.

Truth, Justice and the American Way.

+++

~ livin' the life I was born to live - givin' it all I've got to give ~
Gizzie
Monkey Junky

« Reply #126 on: July 01, 2010, 11:35:04 AM »

Without knowing more details, it sounds more like your internet connection. Being a laptop, I assume you have a wireless connection. You are probably having some issue with your router or may be "out of range".

Hi Wreck! My router is in the dining room and I'm on my laptop in the living room, maybe 25-30 feet away? It seems to be working better now after following the instructions Rob gave up above. Seems to be anyway.

Thanks!!

Gizzie
Monkey Junky

« Reply #127 on: July 01, 2010, 11:44:40 AM »

....... I hope you aren't basing your "problem" on your experience with "Scared Monkeys" ------- we are ALL having that same problem!! Wink

Nope. The only problem I'm having here is the occasional server busy notice.

I forgot to say too that when I'm trying to scroll down a page it looks like it's skipping , if that's a good way to describe it. The page is like jumpy. And that's at everywhere I try and read.

I haven't used the scroll since trying Rob's suggestion last night, but I'm going to check it out now!

Thanks again!

Gizzie
Monkey Junky

« Reply #128 on: July 01, 2010, 11:51:30 AM »

Gizzie- I periodically have the same problem with Firefox. Lots of no responding. This sometimes has to do with CPU usage. And sometimes not.

Here is Mozilla's latest version of Firefox. 3.6.6

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/

I would close Firefox, and then open Explorer, and then download - reopen Firefox and the updated version will install.

I don't have that problem with Opera or Explorer - only Firefox.

You might consider running a malware / adware type program too - that stuff makes your system noticeably slower. There are free programs listed on the previous pages.

Hope this helps and you are well.

HI Rob! I'm great! How about yourself?

I remember doing the update the other day and it was still doing it.

But I did run the program ASC last night and it detected a bunch of stuff, and now seems to be much better! I thought I had programs on here that are supposed to do that.

I don't download a whole lot of stuff but I do have the computer on for long periods of time, and my 15 year old know it all says that's why. Could that be why?

I don't know a lot about computers, other than turning it on and off, and that's no exaggeration!

Thank you for your reply!

Rob
Monkey All Star

« Reply #129 on: July 01, 2010, 08:20:45 PM »

Hi ya Gizzie - I'm doing well, thanks for asking.

Leaving your computer on should not effect it's performance. I usually have alot of programs open and it eats up alot of RAM and drains the CPU. No matter how much RAM I have I always seem to have this issue. Having alot of pages and tabs open will do this and you may get a non-responsive script from a webpage like the Drudgereport or a web-based email site. It happens because those refresh on their own. The non-responsive script is a small box that appears and asks you to stop script or continue. It is usually in the middle of the page and will highlight in your block of pages found in your tool bar at the bottom of the screen - usually appears in orange for me.

Also, if your computer / laptop gets hot and is lying flat and not getting enough air circulation under it - it will run slower. Believe it or not.

I only have this same issue with firefox. You might also want to clean out your cache. Go to tools and options and then the privacy tab. Click remove individual cookies. There is alot of stuff that piles up in there and when I clear mine it seems to make firefox run a little better.

Each version of firefox seems to add more add-ons and applications so it's understandable it will not respond sometimes.

If that keeps happening to you - you might wanna try an older version of firefox. Maybe 2.5, I liked that one. You can just google firefox 2.5 and find the download and then install it.

Hope this kinda helps. I know it's frustrating. Happens to me alot too.

Truth, Justice and the American Way.

+++

~ livin' the life I was born to live - givin' it all I've got to give ~
Gizzie
Monkey Junky

« Reply #130 on: July 03, 2010, 12:10:21 PM »

Thanks again for your help Rob!

2 days later and it's working like I just took it out of the box!

My son had warned me about the getting hot so I always have it on the coffee table, kinda sideways so it's leaning on the edge, if you can picture that. I do put it on my lap at times but not often.

The plug I notice does get hot though. I don't use the battery unless I'm outside. It only has a 2.5 hour life anyway.

If I have any other problems, I'll be sure to come here and hopefully you'll be around and can help me out!

SunnyinTX
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #131 on: July 13, 2010, 05:32:40 PM »

HELP!  I am using Firefox and am having problems watching videos...such as news videos linked in a thread....Caylee's thread in particular....when I click on the link it comes up and then started buffering....then I get a few second of audio and it starts buffering again....this process repeats over and over and over....is there an add on I need??  HELP!

Rest in Peace Caylee
Natalee, We will never forget.
Zahra, run with the Angels

PUT ON YOUR BIG GIRL PANTIES AND GET OVER IT!  It's not about you or me.....It's about the Missing and the Murdered
Maggie
Scared Monkey

« Reply #132 on: July 22, 2010, 12:21:08 PM »

I am looking for new icons for my desktop. What I have now is just a zillion yellow folders, so I have to read the title of each to find what I am looking for. I looked online, and there are many sites offering free downloads, but I don't know if they are safe. Does anyone have any suggestions for a safe site? TIA

"Well behaved women seldom make history..." - Eleanor Roosevelt
Leroy
Monkey Junky

« Reply #133 on: July 22, 2010, 07:21:08 PM »

HELP!  I am using Firefox and am having problems watching videos...such as news videos linked in a thread....Caylee's thread in particular....when I click on the link it comes up and then started buffering....then I get a few second of audio and it starts buffering again....this process repeats over and over and over....is there an add on I need??  HELP!

Sunny - I dont know much about computers but I was having this same problem watching youtube videos...someone suggested that I start the video then press pause for a few seconds...while it is paused, it continues to buffer then when you hit play again it works fine. 

It has worked every time for me so far so maybe try that and see what happens 

Faith . . . it matters . . . it really does. ~ Sister
SunnyinTX
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #134 on: July 26, 2010, 08:53:42 AM »

Sunny - I dont know much about computers but I was having this same problem watching youtube videos...someone suggested that I start the video then press pause for a few seconds...while it is paused, it continues to buffer then when you hit play again it works fine. 

It has worked every time for me so far so maybe try that and see what happens 

thanks Leroy...I will give it a try.  I downloaded Google chrome and still couldn't watch them....ggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Rest in Peace Caylee
Natalee, We will never forget.
Zahra, run with the Angels

PUT ON YOUR BIG GIRL PANTIES AND GET OVER IT!  It's not about you or me.....It's about the Missing and the Murdered
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #135 on: July 29, 2010, 04:44:37 PM »

I am looking for new icons for my desktop. What I have now is just a zillion yellow folders, so I have to read the title of each to find what I am looking for. I looked online, and there are many sites offering free downloads, but I don't know if they are safe. Does anyone have any suggestions for a safe site? TIA

Maggie - this site looks ok to me. 

http://www.iconarchive.com/category/cartoon/garfield-icons-by-pino.html

You can choose any or many of the icon sets but you do have to download the zip file.  Then you can go into the properties of your folder and CUSTOMIZE and change the ICON.

I just tried it and made a garfield pic an icon for a folder.
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #136 on: August 04, 2010, 08:56:58 AM »

test
amaranthblossom
Scared Monkey

EX-TER-MI-NAAATTTEEEE

« Reply #137 on: January 23, 2011, 03:56:42 PM »

IM GOING TO FIX EVERYTHING EVER FOR YOU GUYS,
EVER.
So get your external hard drive or a bunch of flash drives and back up everything important, including programs that you have to pay for.
Then, turn off your computer (don't restart, turn off) then turn it back on, and the moment it springs to life hit F11 and do a restore to factory settings.
You're computer will be like new. I do it to mine every once in a while (although I learned to backup the hard way, lost a $2,000 commission and the job with it ;>_<) and it runs flawlessly.

also, the best antivirus out there is called avast! and its free. Of course you can upgrade, but I don't.
Also, dont buy photoshop or any Adobe product, there are plenty of free, safe alternatives that eat up less RAM. When I had photoshop on my old laptop, that was all I could run. then I got a new laptop and got GIMP and I can run my game, GIMP, and a bunch of internet windows.

if you have any questions, feel free to ask Smile

Do art, not murder.
Leroy
Monkey Junky

« Reply #138 on: February 07, 2011, 10:27:12 PM »

IM GOING TO FIX EVERYTHING EVER FOR YOU GUYS,
EVER.
So get your external hard drive or a bunch of flash drives and back up everything important, including programs that you have to pay for.
Then, turn off your computer (don't restart, turn off) then turn it back on, and the moment it springs to life hit F11 and do a restore to factory settings.
You're computer will be like new. I do it to mine every once in a while (although I learned to backup the hard way, lost a $2,000 commission and the job with it ;>_<) and it runs flawlessly.

also, the best antivirus out there is called avast! and its free. Of course you can upgrade, but I don't.
Also, dont buy photoshop or any Adobe product, there are plenty of free, safe alternatives that eat up less RAM. When I had photoshop on my old laptop, that was all I could run. then I got a new laptop and got GIMP and I can run my game, GIMP, and a bunch of internet windows.

if you have any questions, feel free to ask Smile

Avast is great! 

Faith . . . it matters . . . it really does. ~ Sister
Shell
Monkey Junky

« Reply #139 on: June 13, 2011, 06:04:27 PM »

I am not sure if I have mentioned this one before, but it cleans registry too, and as with all my recommendations, it is free.

http://www.ccleaner.com/update/?v=1.40.520&l=1033

My routine is:
AVG free
CCleaner
Ad-AwareSE
Spybot-Search and Destroy
Clean up (http://www.stevengould.org/software/cleanup/)

All the above is free, all is easy to use.

I still use the above except for Ad-AwareSE and Spybot. I can't recall why I stopped using them, except I changed to a laptop and as I recall they either caused issues with my computer or...maybe they starting charging money.
AVG
CCleaner
www.stevengould.org/software/cleanup/ is still free

the newest one I added is http://www.glarysoft.com/products/utilities/glary-utilities/download/

I am still have this message:

The following plug-in has crashed: Shockwave Flash
The problem happens with Google Chrome, Mozilla, and IE and I have spent a lot of time trying to research the issue but nothing has worked.

*Avatar courtesy of CBB, a very talented and sweet monkey. Peaches and 2NJ, may you rest in peace. You will never be forgotten.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.