March 29, 2024, 06:59:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SOME COMPUTER HEALTH - TOOLS  (Read 105605 times)
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« on: July 23, 2006, 10:19:10 AM »

wreck wrote:

Here is a link for "Frontgate MX" Anti-spam (and screening tool). It is Free and allows you "preview" your e-mail BEFORE it is actually downloaded from the server to your computer. It only works with POP3 e-mail (not web-based like Yahoo, g-mail, Hotmail,etc.).
http://www.presorium.com/en_au/products/fg/index.shtml

Okay, I have been on an "advice" kick for Web Security (sorry Embarassed )!
Here's one more concerning browsers. The "darling" right now is Mozilla Firefox. Absolutely, a very good browser but a little "bare bones" and with a "learning curve" that may be a little daunting for some users.
Personally, I use a browser called "Maxthon" ( www.Maxthon.com ). While it is based on IE engine -- it is definitely "more secure" than Internet Explorer". For instance, it blocks "ActiveX" which is has been a security flaw for a long time. Like Firefox it uses "tabbed browsing" (once you experience this -- you will be amazed.) The difference is they come standard instead of as "plug-ins."
The new IE7 actually took many of the ideas and features from Maxthon and the security "experts" are actually saying that IE7 is actually AS secure as Firefox.
Maxthon in my opinion is ideal for those who are "used" to IE but would like some added features and greater "security."

..last thing (I promise)! When you install "Maxthon" all of your "favorites" and IE settings automatically come with you.
The bottom line is that there are some very good tools and programs out there to help your computer to stay "clean" -- however, the best defense is to you your head. Watch where you surf to, don't download ANYTHING that you don't know to be "safe," and never open any attachments in E-mail unless you were actually expecting it and you absolutely know and trust the sender.

Shell wrote:

I read the last thread regarding if SM shows our IP addy. I trust you guys on that one.

Here is what I used to clean things up

Spybot
Ad-AwareSE
CCleaner
Hijack this
AVG
BitDefender
As far as ewido goes, apparently I had something nasty attached to that and had to delete everything ewido. Maybe got it from the site where I downloaded it, I don't know.

I also realized I had my firewall off on my computer. I didn't think I needed it since the router is firewalled. Apparently 2 firewalls are better than one!
Oh, and last but not least, I did my flush thingy with clean-up

Nut44X4 wrote:

Damn.....so sorry. I have been using the internet long before Al Gore 'invented' it, Wink lol...so I know the rules. Sorry some of you are having so many probs. I run AVG (Grisoft.com) virus scan paid version, I run Sygate Personal Firewall, free version, I also have 'spywareblaster' version 3.5.1 and update it daily. I clean my cookies often and run daily clean up through internet properties daily. I also have Pop-up Cop loaded at all times. I run scan disk and defrag once per week---AT LEAST and I have never had an attack on my computer with all this loaded and running and I hope I never do. I am not saying it can't happen, because anything is possible....but since my time on the internet I have learned many different ways to protect myself. You can google any of these programs I have mentioned and get your own protection....some are free, some are not. If you have any questions, I will try to answer as best I can.

wreck wrote:

Use your Router as a good "inbound" hardware firewall. Use one (and only one) software firewall which will also block your computer "outbound." If you are on XP, turn OFF the built-in firewall if you are going to use an outside software firewall -- they will conflict and slow-down your computer.

Nonesuche wrote:

Hi All-

Mr none is resting and I was reading which helps me not to feel so isolated when this illness is so confining. Thank you to all, hospice arrives on Monday so please know we will have great support with that. My mom is also my rock, she's coming for an extended stay and nothing is better than having mom when you most need her hugs and kisses.

Call-out to Anna, this would be what mr none/internet security consultant would tell you and all others.

* XP's built-in firewall is a great one. They also have a new beta product "windows defender" which is a free download at www.microsoft.com that he recommends.

* McAfee and Norton both have "security suites". With that you get hacker tracking, I happen to like McAfee best but they are really equal in protection. You can actually open up the panel/tab for "attempted intrusions" and find the IP of the attempted intruder. You can input that into www.arin.net and trace the IP. When I have been under attack from NL and Aruban IP's, I actually look up the information listed in the registry for that provider and CALL THEIR SECURITY personnel. Those phone numbers as well as their physical addresses are readily visible on their registry, so use them! You also in McAfee can click and report these hackers to www.hackers.org as well. So for peace of mind, be proactive and invest in the $80 a year for the whole suite.

* Also anyone wanting a copy of Spybot then send me an email and I'll be happy to email you a zipped copy. This is no longer free but I can provide you with a demo version, it is one of the few which cleans your registry effectively.

* Adaware is quite good as well. I have been using Spy Sweeper but Windows Defender takes the place of that quite well.

* thanks to wreck for your infomation on those new tools, I will have him review when he feels up to it and report back.

Ultimately please, please use these tools/downloads EVERY DAY. Think of it as brushing your teeth for your PC, it needs this maintenance proactively to keep you protected.

wreck wrote:

One application that I mentioned last night is "A-squared-free". It is excellent to scan for "trojans" and spyware (a little different than anti-virus.) http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/free
Shell
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2006, 12:40:56 PM »

Today I tried downloading IE7 and it didn't work on my computer. I ended up uninstalling it and going back to my regular version of IE.

I am going to look at Maxthon or Mozilla Firefox.

Hijack this is a good tool, but it is not easy for me to use. I have a friend who helps me use it. You have to run the scan, copy and paste it and send it to analyze (it does not take long). It comes back with a thorough report. The key is being computer savvy enough to know what to delete and what to keep!

I am so glad this thread is started. I always like to see recommendations from trusted people.

*Avatar courtesy of CBB, a very talented and sweet monkey. Peaches and 2NJ, may you rest in peace. You will never be forgotten.
Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2006, 02:50:57 PM »

I agree that firefox is much safer than IE.  Been using it a long time although I'm sure I haven't bothered to learn all of it's features.

I did quite a bit of research on Internet Security and the top p.c. mags were raving about a product called Zone Alarm.  I bought it via Amazon ($59 retail, on sale there for $30 ... PLUS got a $30 rebate  so it was FREE)

The day I got it I just happened to go to their website to check on installation info.  This is a small co. and most of the help info is in the USER group section.  Well, they had just released a new version that was a nightmare.  They said NOT to download it yet but rather, to install an earlier version.

I'm sure by now the issues were fixed but there is a long uninstall process I have to follow to completely remove all old files prior to installing the new version.

Product has fire wall, antivirus, anti spam, adware removal tools.  

Curious if anyone else is using it.
Shell
Monkey Junky

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2006, 09:50:52 PM »

I know that the free version of Zone Alarm is excellent. I do not use it on this computer, since I have xp and it seemed to interfere, but, everyone has great things to say about ZA. The version you are talking about, I don't know, everyone I know uses the freebie version.

*Avatar courtesy of CBB, a very talented and sweet monkey. Peaches and 2NJ, may you rest in peace. You will never be forgotten.
Shell
Monkey Junky

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2006, 09:54:44 PM »

I also want to mention a registry cleaner. I found one that is free.

CCleaner`v1.31.325 I think it is the same folks who make spyware doctor.

Shell
Monkey Junky

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2006, 10:02:31 PM »

On another note, this man writes a column in our paper. Check out his site. It has some good advice and he is easy to understand.

http://www.pcdon.com/

Jerry from Ohio
Monkey Junky Jr.

mom always said that I was cute as a Bunny <g>

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2006, 01:36:51 PM »

Darn it I want to change my pic on the bottom of my siggy line and i have lost the directionson ow to do that   can soe one please send or  post  them again for me  and this time I promise I'll be more careful with them  TY in advance   Jerry  

Quote from: "Shell"
On another note, this man writes a column in our paper. Check out his site. It has some good advice and he is easy to understand.

Old Jer from Ohio
" I'm wild and a little crazy too ! 
 Some Girls don't  like boys like me  ,AWE, But some girls do  !

IMG]http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i245/jerryfromOhio/Howdy.jpg[/IMG]
tidycat
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2006, 10:12:34 PM »

I have a question for the experts.  Our new computer has the full Norton anti-virus program, Webroot spysweeper, Ad Aware and I don't know what else.  I was checking for something else and discovered that Microsoft firewall is turned off.  This was all installed by CircuitCity.  Should I turn on the Microsoft firewall?  Or does it interfere with the working of the Norton Antivirus program?  It also has the Microsoft Service Pack 2...which when I put it on the old computer said in Q&A that it might interfere with antivirus programs...I think?  Anybody have any idea?

thanks

tidycat

Sigh.  I'll always be behind.
Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2006, 12:25:13 PM »

Quote from: "tidycat"
I have a question for the experts.  Our new computer has the full Norton anti-virus program, Webroot spysweeper, Ad Aware and I don't know what else.  I was checking for something else and discovered that Microsoft firewall is turned off.  This was all installed by CircuitCity.  Should I turn on the Microsoft firewall?  Or does it interfere with the working of the Norton Antivirus program?  It also has the Microsoft Service Pack 2...which when I put it on the old computer said in Q&A that it might interfere with antivirus programs...I think?  Anybody have any idea?

thanks

tidycat

I'm no expert Tidy but here's what I do know.  ha

I turned Microsoft's wall off so it wouldn't interfere with Norton.

I have SP 2 and it's been fine (not interfering with Norton)

Most PC manufacturers only provide the "free" software for a short period of time.  They also don't necessarily activate it for you.  This happened to me about 7 yrs ago - and as a result I thought I had virus protection but did NOT. (i never activated Norton and even if I had it was only for 6 mos) I got a bad virus and had to uninstall everything on my pc and reinstall it.

SO ....  be sure that norton antivirus is set up and is RUNNING.  Check to make sure that it is set to go out for automatic updates once a week.  Check to make sure it is set up to scan once a week.  Once you have it set to do this automatically - babysit it to make sure Norton is doing it's job... just check to make sure.  If so, you should be in great shape.

Good luck and enjoy your new p.c.
IBE
Monkey Junky

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2006, 02:22:44 PM »

Any MAC users out there??? Any ideas?

Thanks,

IBE

Freedom is not free: it also takes ethics, character, accountability, responsibility and courage! Freedom for Scared Monkeys: donate to Red's legal fees.
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2006, 02:45:08 PM »

Quote from: "Jerry from Ohio"
Darn it I want to change my pic on the bottom of my siggy line and i have lost the directionson ow to do that   can soe one please send or  post  them again for me  and this time I promise I'll be more careful with them  TY in advance   Jerry  

Quote from: "Shell"

Jerry - in your signature line you need to make sure that the URL you paste there has the IMG tags on each end.  Copy the IMG url from your photobucket site for that image and paste that in your signature line area.
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2006, 02:45:58 PM »

Quote from: "IBE"

Thanks,

IBE

IBE - I'm pretty sure that KATZ is a MAC user.
tidycat
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2006, 11:34:43 PM »

Frijole, thanks for that info!  CircuitCity had their tech install a full version of Norton and Webroot Spy Sweeper on this pc and gave me the disks, and the key for the Norton service.  So I think it should be okay.  It does the regular updates too.  Sounds like it is all set up as it should be too.  I really appreciate your help!  

tidycat

Sigh.  I'll always be behind.
Carnut
Monkey Junky

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2006, 04:24:33 PM »

Any of you folks out there who think you've been having trouble with hackers breaking into your PC, you might want to consider the Netgear FVS114 Prosafe Firewall gadget.

It's a little hardware device that's as cheap as most commercial software firewalls and will do alot more to keep your PC safe than any software product. And you don't have to keep buying a new version each year.

Netgear  FVS114 at newegg.com
GreatOwl
Monkey Junky

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2006, 08:22:16 AM »

Quote from: "klaasend"
Quote from: "IBE"

Thanks,

IBE

IBE - I'm pretty sure that KATZ is a MAC user.

me too, what is the questions....

I have been using Mac's and apple products since the 80's  when they first came out.  Currently running Tiger

"May you have the hindsight to know where you've been,
 the foresight to know where you're going and
 the insight to know when you've gone too far."
memphis
Monkey Junky

« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2006, 11:16:24 AM »

I am on Roadrunner Business Class and the entire area is wireless.

Does anyone know if it's possible to "lock down" my access?

What kind of danger am I in if it cannot be locked down?
memphis
Monkey Junky

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2006, 11:02:51 PM »

No one can help me?  Crying or Very sad
2NJSons_Mom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2006, 09:45:14 AM »

memphis, sorry, I cannot help you, but wish I could.  

We are having trouble with the home pc.  DH surfing the net Saturday afternoon, somehow picked up some pesky trojans, and antivirus (definitions up to date) picked them up.   Ran Adaware SE successfully Saturday afternoon, but the pc is still not working well.  The antivirus keeps posting the same realtime notifications for those trojans.  Examples, trojan busky, hacktool scammer, trojan horse, etc.

Now, when attempting to run Adaware SE, it freezes when it gets to a certain point.   I downloaded a-squared free version and same happens with that.  

Online suggestions found say run disk cleanup, clear temporary files, etc.  That's done....Not sure if I'm missing anything.   Will attempt again, but fear same will happen.  End up trying ctl/alt/delete, which also does not always respond....so I end up shutting down improperly...this pc is possessed.  Thanks if anyone can advise.  Just hope I can get back in here to check, later.

R.I.P Dear 2NJ - say hi to Peaches for us!

I expect a miracle _Peaches ~ ~ May She Rest In Peace.

SOMEONE KNOWS THE TRUTH  

None of us here just fell off the turnip truck. - Magnolia
LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2006, 10:19:33 PM »

I would suggest you purchase Trend Micro's PC-cillin. It is an antivirus, antispyware program. I have mine set up to automatically scan every night at 1 a.m.

It sounds to me like there are still more viruses on your computer.

Hope is everything. I see angels everywhere.
Carnut
Monkey Junky

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2006, 10:26:32 PM »

Quote from: "memphis"
I am on Roadrunner Business Class and the entire area is wireless.

Does anyone know if it's possible to "lock down" my access?

What kind of danger am I in if it cannot be locked down?

What do you mean by 'lock down' your access?

If you have a wireless access device on your premises, it should have the ability to have password only access as well as encripted communication.

If you mean you have a pc with wireless access and want to keep it from being accessed by other wireless devices then your wireless connection should be made to a wireless access device with a password and an encripted connection.

If you mean to keep your pc safe from hackers and virus's then you need the standard 'firewall' and 'anti-virus' and 'anti adware' program/devices in your system.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.