April 30, 2024, 11:04:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SOME COMPUTER HEALTH - TOOLS  (Read 107698 times)
Rob
Monkey All Star

« Reply #60 on: July 06, 2008, 11:44:39 AM »

This program will even clean your house.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

This will basically remove any suspicious software or malware.

Just follow the instructions for the download and run the application. At the end you will be asked to reboot. Reboot as directed and some files that were not cleaned on the first run will be erased on the reboot.

Truth, Justice and the American Way.

+++

~ livin' the life I was born to live - givin' it all I've got to give ~
Sam
Monkey Junky

« Reply #61 on: October 23, 2008, 01:35:43 PM »

I just found this site for some tech tips.

http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/10/02/tech-tips-for-the-basic-computer-user/

Some of those on SM should check it out for the ones for enlarging the font on a page so it is readable for them. There are tips for both Windows and Mac users.

Just a swinging with the tribe
IBE
Monkey Junky

« Reply #62 on: November 01, 2008, 10:48:42 PM »

Anyone know a good giff animated software program for the Mac? TIA

Freedom is not free: it also takes ethics, character, accountability, responsibility and courage! Freedom for Scared Monkeys: donate to Red's legal fees.
GreatOwl
Monkey Junky

« Reply #63 on: November 02, 2008, 08:00:38 AM »

Anyone know a good giff animated software program for the Mac? TIA

GraphicConverter http://www.lemkesoft.com/xd/public/content/index._cGlkPTE5Mw_.html  by Lemke software out of Germany purports to have the capability to edit gif animation frame by frame.  I have used this software for over 15 years.  It is shareware for I believe $34.95 right now.  It is the best of the shareware universal programs for graphics put out. 

Gifmation http://www.boxtopsoft.com/gifmation.html   has come out with a new version which is Universal Mac.  I used this program years ago with OS 8 & 9.  I don't do much of that anymore so I do not know what the new version is like.

Everything depends upon what you wish to do and how much in depth you need to edit.  There is a website www.gifworks.com which allows you to upload an image and do basic editing including size for free.  http://tinyurl.com/6d47uy    Because it is free and online there are times when the site is slow.

There are dozens of other sites which work with the Mac for doing posters, graphics, labeling, signs, which I have used over the years.  I generally find most to be free.

Everything depends upon what OS you are using and how much in depth you wish to go.  I have seen Mac programs which sell for over $ 100 plus dollars that are probably very much in depth.  I also suspect that through iMovie, iDVD, iPhoto that it is possible to come up with some pretty cool graphic gifs.  I just to not do much of that any more because of time constraints. 

I mostly download existing animated gifs from the hundreds of free sites on the net and edit them using the gifworks site.  CBB and Klaasend do some great modifications here at SM to specialize them to this site. 

Let me know if you need further help.

"May you have the hindsight to know where you've been,
 the foresight to know where you're going and
 the insight to know when you've gone too far."
tidycat
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #64 on: November 17, 2008, 10:19:14 PM »

For Klaas:  I use Mozilla Firefox as a browser.  Sometimes I'm on a page and I can't go back (the button isn't green and you can't go back).  Maybe I'm there on a link, sometimes not.
The only options are to go "home" or to hit the x at top of page.  That gives an option to "close 2 tabs" or cancel and sit there.  Do you use Mozilla?  Anybody know a cure for this (other than another browser?  I don't like Internet Explorer.)

Tidycat

Sigh.  I'll always be behind.
GreatOwl
Monkey Junky

« Reply #65 on: November 17, 2008, 11:41:58 PM »

For Klaas:  I use Mozilla Firefox as a browser.  Sometimes I'm on a page and I can't go back (the button isn't green and you can't go back).  Maybe I'm there on a link, sometimes not.
The only options are to go "home" or to hit the x at top of page.  That gives an option to "close 2 tabs" or cancel and sit there.  Do you use Mozilla?  Anybody know a cure for this (other than another browser?  I don't like Internet Explorer.)

Tidycat

I think it depends upon what version you are using.  Also, what OS do you have?  I use Firefox all the time and don't have many problems.  It is slower than Safari so it is not my primary browser.  I can't use IE and have not had it on my computers for several years now. 

tidycat
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #66 on: November 21, 2008, 12:07:12 AM »

Hey Owl!  Thanks for the reply about Mozilla Firefox.  I downloaded it a couple of years ago probably, so I don't know what version that is.  I am using Windows XP. 

Sigh.  I'll always be behind.
GreatOwl
Monkey Junky

« Reply #67 on: November 21, 2008, 08:10:25 AM »

Hey Owl!  Thanks for the reply about Mozilla Firefox.  I downloaded it a couple of years ago probably, so I don't know what version that is.  I am using Windows XP. 

I am using an iMac, but that should not make any difference in how the browser operates.  I have been able to duplicate what you describe.  It happens most often where I log into Firefox and there are updates and such that want to load.  When that happens it seems there are "tabs" created in the tool bar.  As you move from one page to the next a new tab is created and the back arrow is not functional because each new page is opened in a tab.  I am sure there is a way to turn off "tabs" but I just do not sue the program that often.  I just end up clicking out or deleting all the tab pages and then use the command to open a new page from the menu.  This seems to put the browser back into cumulative history mode.  Then I can use the back arrows or history to get back to a page.

I will play with it some more in the coming days and if I can discover why it goes to tabs, I will post the answer here.

GreatOwl
Monkey Junky

« Reply #68 on: November 21, 2008, 08:50:03 AM »

Look at these two screen shots:   One you will see a "tabs" line in the tool bar.  You can only move back and forth within each tool bar using the back arrow.   The second screen shot is probably what is causing this to happen.  You need to find the menu for "preferences" or in your case it may be listed as "properties."  I suspect that the browser has its default set to open each new page in "tabs"  reset that to a new window.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b31/phfreund/general/Firefox2.png

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b31/phfreund/general/Firefox3.png

GreatOwl
Monkey Junky

« Reply #69 on: November 21, 2008, 08:52:05 AM »

Look at these two screen shots:   One you will see a "tabs" line in the tool bar.  You can only move back and forth within each tool bar using the back arrow.   The second screen shot is probably what is causing this to happen.  You need to find the menu for "preferences" or in your case it may be listed as "properties."  I suspect that the browser has its default set to open each new page in "tabs"  reset that to a new window.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b31/phfreund/general/Firefox2.png

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b31/phfreund/general/Firefox3.png

MumInOhio
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #70 on: January 11, 2009, 07:15:57 PM »

Anyone have any info on keyloggers...TIA
GreatOwl
Monkey Junky

« Reply #71 on: January 12, 2009, 04:34:59 PM »

Depends upon what your Operating System is.  I use Kextlog on my G4 laptop.  It operates in the background using "Terminal."  It is a very simple but free program.  Again, all my machines are Macintosh running Leopard.  I have one machine with a daughter/granddaughter which is running Tiger.  I could use it there but don't.

Rizzy
Scared Monkey

« Reply #72 on: January 14, 2009, 02:54:32 PM »

Here is a good basic COMPUTER SKILLS start up tutorial....bet you already know most of this and just don't know you do

Great to use as a refresher course also!

http://www.ctdlc.org/remediation/

This course is divided into four separate modules: Computer Skills; E-Mail Skills; Word Processing Skills and Web Skills. Each module is self-paced and includes review questions so you can check how much you have learned.
Brandi
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #73 on: January 18, 2009, 03:24:57 PM »

I see people mentioning problems with ads on the SM site in the Caylee thread. I just want to tell those who use Firefox this:

I run Windows XP and I use Firefox (version 2.0.0.20) as my browser. Since I started using an extension called AdBlock Plus (version 1.0.1) I see NO ads on the SM forum. NONE at all. No popups, no still ads. NONE. You can find the extension by doing a simple google search for it.

SunnyinTX
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #74 on: January 22, 2009, 02:58:52 PM »

Viruses and trojan horses??  My computer got infected 2 week ago....it started but just running slow...then I was getting knocked off...then I had trouble signing on.....we ran all the virus scans we had.....but still couldn't get rid of the trojan horses..we thought they were gone...but wham there they were again...files became corrupt..it has been mess. We were using IE....but have now changed to Firefox exclusively...still not running great....I am able to get on but everything is in slow motion.....my DH has been working on it....got a new Fix-It CD to try tonight....we have McAfee and a firewall but it still got infected....DANG!!......ANY IDEAS!!!  (I am also going to post this in the computer help thread)

Rest in Peace Caylee
Natalee, We will never forget.
Zahra, run with the Angels

PUT ON YOUR BIG GIRL PANTIES AND GET OVER IT!  It's not about you or me.....It's about the Missing and the Murdered
nomorenekkiddogs
Scared Monkey

Why wear fur when you can run around "Nekkid"

« Reply #75 on: January 24, 2009, 11:32:04 PM »

I see people mentioning problems with ads on the SM site in the Caylee thread. I just want to tell those who use Firefox this:

I run Windows XP and I use Firefox (version 2.0.0.20) as my browser. Since I started using an extension called AdBlock Plus (version 1.0.1) I see NO ads on the SM forum. NONE at all. No popups, no still ads. NONE. You can find the extension by doing a simple google search for it.

Thanks Brandi for the info.  Someone else gave me the same advice so I DL it immediately and I am still getting pop-ups and shut downs.  It is so frustrating.  I am ready to go back to using IE7.  I am not a really bright person when it comes to the extras of all this stuff.  I can get around the web ok but all this techie stuff is really cornfusing to me .  Can you help some more?

GreatOwl
Monkey Junky

« Reply #76 on: January 24, 2009, 11:34:15 PM »

Viruses and trojan horses??  My computer got infected 2 week ago....it started but just running slow...then I was getting knocked off...then I had trouble signing on.....we ran all the virus scans we had.....but still couldn't get rid of the trojan horses..we thought they were gone...but wham there they were again...files became corrupt..it has been mess. We were using IE....but have now changed to Firefox exclusively...still not running great....I am able to get on but everything is in slow motion.....my DH has been working on it....got a new Fix-It CD to try tonight....we have McAfee and a firewall but it still got infected....DANG!!......ANY IDEAS!!!  (I am also going to post this in the computer help thread)

You obviously need some type of security program to run just to protect.  Again, I use exclusively Mac machines, but Mrs. Owl uses PC.  The slowing down may not be just the infected files but a build up of damaged or excess files.  I had belonged to a club of PC techs years ago and they always recommended a program called RegClean.   It still exists and I have installed it on my wife's PC.  There are others which are similar and probably just as good.  RegClean has been around for a long time and it seems to be a good quality program for a good quality price.

You can go to the websites and download a test program to discover how many damaged files exist.  You do need to purchase the program if you want to fix them.  It has made a difference on my wife's Dell PC.  I wish she would not use IE, but it is what she is familiar with so she keeps it.  Firefox is a very good browser except it is not the fastest one available.  I have been reading a great deal about "Chrome" lately, but since it is strictly PC right now I can not tell you what kind of speed it has.  Camino and Shiira are also browsers which operate at a faster speed, but there are features I do not care for.   I guess it is just a matter of what you do on the net.

GreatOwl
Monkey Junky

« Reply #77 on: January 24, 2009, 11:38:40 PM »

Thanks Brandi for the info.  Someone else gave me the same advice so I DL it immediately and I am still getting pop-ups and shut downs.  It is so frustrating.  I am ready to go back to using IE7.  I am not a really bright person when it comes to the extras of all this stuff.  I can get around the web ok but all this techie stuff is really cornfusing to me .  Can you help some more?

As Brandi suggested, just try Firefox.  It should load everything you need to do an adequate job of blocking most ads.  If you need anything more after you download that browser just go to the Firefox home page and it will pretty much walk you through how to add what you need.

GreatOwl
Monkey Junky

« Reply #78 on: January 24, 2009, 11:46:51 PM »

Just as an aside be aware that one of the reasons there are ads on this forum is to provide income to keep Scared Monkeys alive.  It takes money to pay for bandwidth and just to keep things going.  When SM began it had no ads, but not enough people cared to donate.  It is also a site which does not charge to belong to, so have a bit of patience.

None of us like to have a computer frozen or get knocked off line by ads.  This should not happen normally.  Normally you should be able to carry out your normal communication exchange without damaging your machine.  If you are having a particular problem and you feel it is due to the ads, then bring it to one of the Moderators attention and they will have someone look into it.  Sometimes things do go wrong.  There are many who will try to help if you just ask.

Just remember you are really a guest on a free site.

nomorenekkiddogs
Scared Monkey

Why wear fur when you can run around "Nekkid"

« Reply #79 on: January 25, 2009, 08:00:04 PM »

As Brandi suggested, just try Firefox.  It should load everything you need to do an adequate job of blocking most ads.  If you need anything more after you download that browser just go to the Firefox home page and it will pretty much walk you through how to add what you need.

Thanks GreatOwl, I already did dl firefox, that is when I started having probs.  In IE7 I would just delete the ads and I was fine.  NOw that I have firefox, x about 2 weeks, if I try to close out the ads because they are getting too deep, lol, then it auto shuts down.  IF I just leave them alone I have 20 ads to close out at the end of when I leave the site.  I am also afraid of getting viruses from them, but feel pretty confident that SM wouldn't have these ads if they were a problem.  I go to other sites that are  free too and they just have the ads that are on the pages instead of pop ups and that never seems to be a problem.  This is the ONLY place I have the problem with pop ups so far. 

Thanks for your advice though.  It will not keep me from coming here, but it does get mighty frustrating to be in the middle of a thread and  have a pop up block my screen and then whe I try to close it it shuts my browser out.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.