April 30, 2024, 07:14:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SOME COMPUTER HEALTH - TOOLS  (Read 107687 times)
GreatOwl
Monkey Junky

« Reply #80 on: January 26, 2009, 11:24:14 PM »

I see people mentioning problems with ads on the SM site in the Caylee thread. I just want to tell those who use Firefox this:

I run Windows XP and I use Firefox (version 2.0.0.20) as my browser. Since I started using an extension called AdBlock Plus (version 1.0.1) I see NO ads on the SM forum. NONE at all. No popups, no still ads. NONE. You can find the extension by doing a simple google search for it.

Thanks Brandi for the info.  Someone else gave me the same advice so I DL it immediately and I am still getting pop-ups and shut downs.  It is so frustrating.  I am ready to go back to using IE7.  I am not a really bright person when it comes to the extras of all this stuff.  I can get around the web ok but all this techie stuff is really cornfusing to me .  Can you help some more?

As Brandi suggested, just try Firefox.  It should load everything you need to do an adequate job of blocking most ads.  If you need anything more after you download that browser just go to the Firefox home page and it will pretty much walk you through how to add what you need.

Thanks GreatOwl, I already did dl firefox, that is when I started having probs.  In IE7 I would just delete the ads and I was fine.  NOw that I have firefox, x about 2 weeks, if I try to close out the ads because they are getting too deep, lol, then it auto shuts down.  IF I just leave them alone I have 20 ads to close out at the end of when I leave the site.  I am also afraid of getting viruses from them, but feel pretty confident that SM wouldn't have these ads if they were a problem.  I go to other sites that are  free too and they just have the ads that are on the pages instead of pop ups and that never seems to be a problem.  This is the ONLY place I have the problem with pop ups so far. 

Thanks for your advice though.  It will not keep me from coming here, but it does get mighty frustrating to be in the middle of a thread and  have a pop up block my screen and then whe I try to close it it shuts my browser out.

I wish I could give you a link, but with Firefox the download page defaults to my OS.  so if I search for Firefox adblock it locates the Mac version.  You need to either use google or just get to the Firefox Add-Ons page.  From there you can do a search for the PC version of "Adblock" put out for Firefox.  It should download and upgrade automatically for you.  It should help with all those pop-ups or at least most of them.

"May you have the hindsight to know where you've been,
 the foresight to know where you're going and
 the insight to know when you've gone too far."
nomorenekkiddogs
Scared Monkey

Why wear fur when you can run around "Nekkid"

« Reply #81 on: January 28, 2009, 07:23:27 PM »

I have also downloaded adblock at someone else's urging.  That has not taken care of the problem.  I guess I just live with it or go back to IE7.  I don't know what else to do to get adblock to block ads.  I downloaded it and set it up.  It is on my toolbar, but it is not blocking any ads.  And yes it is turned on to block them.  I do appreciate you trying to help though.  Thanks. 

BTW, I don't know why and I don't want to jinx myself, but I can shut down ads without my browser crashing today.  Maybe what ever it was has been fixed. 

GreatOwl
Monkey Junky

« Reply #82 on: February 01, 2009, 07:45:23 PM »

It may be that you need to set the preferences manually.  I am using Firefox right now and the pop ups get blocked automatically for me right now and the rest of the ads I can just use there menu to double click on the link to each ad to block it.  It is all in the options menu of ADP.

Again, I do not often use Firefox to access SM.  Then again, I do not have the difficulties with "Tribalfusion" that many others do.  It does not crash my computer or browser.  Many of these sites place what is called a "Tracking Cookie" into you cookies.  I have programs which extract such cookies and dispose of them at least once a day.  I also have a program which is called Netshred.  This shreds and scrambles all cache and history items automatically when I shut down.

I tend to use Safari almost all the time.  The ads are there and the pop-ups just accumulate in the back.  I let them in the event that Red gets his fee for all those that do show.  I even tend to click on some of the ads each day which is how many advertisers pay out their fees.  I have no idea about this one.  Anything to keep the site alive.

GreatOwl
Monkey Junky

« Reply #83 on: February 14, 2009, 10:05:11 AM »

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #84 on: February 14, 2009, 10:13:40 AM »

SHELL - if you want to put a photo in your post there are a couple ways to do that.

1.  If you don't have a photobucket site you can upload the photo directly from your PC by clicking on the link in the bottom left of your message screen that says "Additional Options".   Then you can "Browse" your PC for the picture.  When you find it you can't preview it you just have to "Post".  The biggest problem doing it this way is often photos are such high resolution they come out huge.  If you can change the resolution to 72 and the width of the photo to no more than 8 inches prior to uploading it's much safer.

2.  The other most popular way is to have a site like Photobucket where you can store photos onine.  You can set your Photobucket account to Private so only the links you provide are seen.  You upload the photos to photobucket directly from you PC.  Once in Photobucket you can resize if necessary.  The link you use so the photo shows up is the one that's called "IMG Code".

3.  The third way is when a photo is already on the internet, like a news website.  If you right click on the photo you can get the properties URL.  You copy the URL then in your message post PASTE IT.  After pasting it if you highlight the URL then click on the "Insert Image" icon above it will add the IMG tags for you so the photo will show up in your post.

Hope that helps 
GreatOwl
Monkey Junky

« Reply #85 on: February 14, 2009, 10:14:56 AM »

Shell, first you need to upload an image to a source such as photobucket or many of the other image storing sites.   If you look at the image I made of SM's message box you will see a number of icons which represent commands.  I have indicated the icon you need to click on to post an image.  when you click on that command you will have  automatically created in the message box with a cursor blinking between.  Either copy and paste your direct link or just type it in.  (for instance you may have http://.i18.photobucket.com/shell/123.gif which you would put in the middle of the img bracket.

Photobucket and some other sites also allow you to skip a step and just copy an image posting command that you can then paste into this message block.  Either way works. 

If I can be of further assistance leave me a message.

Shell
Monkey Junky

« Reply #86 on: February 15, 2009, 09:41:59 PM »

I posted a couple of photos in the house thread. The hardest part for me is resizing them. I will get the hang of it soon I hope. I have loads of the burned house and property but I think the 2 I showed give the general idea of what it looked like.

Thanks GreatOwl and Klaasend for helping me.

*Avatar courtesy of CBB, a very talented and sweet monkey. Peaches and 2NJ, may you rest in peace. You will never be forgotten.
KCJackie
Monkey All Star

« Reply #87 on: March 02, 2009, 02:26:47 AM »

BEWARE OF..............Spyware Protect 2009

I got this malware on Valentines Night (nice present, huh).  As of tonight 3/1/09, there is still no fix for it.  Please be sure to run Malware Bytes and keep it updated!!!!!!!!!

I just rcv'd this email from Microsoft - one of many!!!!  Maybe it will prevent another monkey from getting it.

Hi Jackie,
This is David with Microsoft PC Safety.
It was my pleasure to work with you on your PC Safety case XXXXXXXX. Unfortunately, we were unable to resolve your issue. However, I hope that you were satisfied with the service provided to you.

I will archive the case as Not-Resolved. If you are not very satisfied with the support we’ve provided please let us know as soon as possible. My goal is to ensure that your experience with Microsoft PC Safety leaves you very satisfied with our products and services.

Here is a summary of the key points of the case for your records:
Action: Trying to browse the internet
Result: She keep on getting pop-ups with Spyware protect 2009
Cause:  malware
Resolution:  Able to talk to the customer and She already bought a new computer...

If you have any feedback regarding Microsoft support, we would be glad to hear from you. If you would feel more comfortable speaking with someone else regarding my service, Michelle Edera, my manager, would be very happy to hear your comments and suggestions. You may reach my manager by sending an email to mailto:Microsoft.Feedback.NA6@css.one.microsoft.com
Thank you for contacting Microsoft PC Safety.
Sincerely,
David Palero II
v-4davp@mssupport.microsoft.com
1:00PM-10:00AM PST Monday, Thursday - Sunday
*When replying, please include your case number, name, email address and phone number. Thank you.*

Windows OneCare Live:
Give your computer continuous antivirus and firewall protection, along with regular tune-ups and back-ups to maintain its performance.
Try it for free!
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=105722

Blonde
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #88 on: March 31, 2009, 06:30:05 PM »

The fast-moving Conficker computer worm, a scourge of the Internet that has infected at least 3 million PCs, is set to spring to life in a new way on Wednesday — April Fools' Day.

By JORDAN ROBERTSON, AP
posted: 3 HOURS 15 MINUTES AGOcomments: 378PrintShareText SizeAAASAN FRANCISCO (March 30) -
That's when many of the poisoned machines will get more aggressive about "phoning home" to the worm's creators over the Internet. When that happens, the bad guys behind the worm will be able to trigger the program to send spam, spread more infections, clog networks with traffic, or try and bring down Web sites.

The Conficker WormAxel Heimken, AP3 photos   What Is It? Conficker, a computer worm, has already infected 3 million Windows PCs and is expected to receive new instructions that would make it more aggressive on Wednesday, which is April Fools' Day. The virus could steal passwords, credit card and bank information from infected computers.(Note: Please disable your pop-up blocker)

More Coverage: How to Prevent Conficker Infection
Technically, this could cause havoc, from massive network outages to the creation of a cyberweapon of mass destruction that attacks government computers. But researchers who have been tracking Conficker say the date will probably come and go quietly.
More likely, these researchers say, the programming change that goes into effect April 1 is partly symbolic — an April Fools' Day tweaking of Conficker's pursuers, who for now have been able to prevent the worm from doing significant damage.
Skip over this content "I don't think there will be a cataclysmic network event," said Richard Wang, manager of the U.S. research division of security firm Sophos PLC. "It doesn't make sense for the guys behind Conficker to cause a major network problem, because if they're breaking parts of the Internet they can't make any money."
Previous Internet threats were designed to cause haphazard destruction. In 2003 a worm known as Slammer saturated the Internet's data pipelines with so much traffic it crippled corporate and government systems, including ATM networks and 911 centers.
Far more often now, Internet threats are designed to ring up profits. Control of infected PCs is valuable on the black market, since the machines can be rented out, from one group of bad guys to another, and act as a kind of illicit supercomputer, sending spam, scanning Web sites for security holes, or participating in network attacks.
The army of Conficker-infected machines, known as a "botnet," could be one of the greatest cybercrime tools ever assembled. Conficker's authors just need to figure out a way to reliably communicate with it.
Infected PCs need commands to come alive. They get those commands by connecting to Web sites controlled by the bad guys. Even legitimate sites can be co-opted for this purpose, if hackers break in and use the sites' servers to send out malicious commands.

Conficker Worm WarningCNET’s Natali Del Conte shares tips with Maggie Rodriguez about the April 1 "Conficker" worm, which could steal financial information from your computer.
So far, Conficker-infected machines have been trying to connect each day to 250 Internet domains — the spots on the Internet where Web sites are parked. The bad guys need to get just one of those sites under their control to send their commands to the botnet. (The name Conficker comes from rearranging letters in the name of one of the original sites the worm was connecting to.)
Conficker has been a victim of its success, however, because its rapid spread across the Internet drew the notice of computer security companies. They have been able to work with domain name registrars, which administer Web site addresses, to block the botnet from dialing in.
Now those efforts will get much harder. On April 1, many Conficker-infected machines will generate a list of 50,000 new domains a day that they could try. Of that group, the botnet will randomly select 500 for the machines to actually query.
Skip over this content  Download the
AOL News Toolbar
Our new toolbar integrates latest news into your Web browser and installs in seconds. Download it now! The bad guys still need to get only one of those up and running to connect to their botnet. And the bigger list of possibilities increases the odds they'll slip something by the security community.
Researchers already know which domains the infected machines will check, but pre-emptively registering them all, or persuading the registrars to neutralize all of them, is a bigger hurdle.
"We expect something will happen, but we don't quite know what it will look like," said Jose Nazario, manager of security research for Arbor Networks, a member of the "Conficker Cabal," an alliance trying to hunt down the worm's authors.
"With every move that they make, there's the potential to identify who they are, where they're located and what we can do about them," he added. "The real challenge right now is doing all that work around the world. That's not a technical challenge, but it is a logistical challenge."
Conficker's authors also have updated the worm so infected machines have new ways to talk to each other. They can share malicious commands rather than having to contact a hacked Web site for instructions.
That variation is important because it shows that even as security researchers have neutralized much of what the botnet might do, the worm's authors "didn't lose control of their botnet," said Michael La Pilla, manager of the malicious code operations team at VeriSign Inc.'s iDefense division.
The Conficker outbreak illustrates the importance of keeping current with Internet security updates. Conficker moves from PC to PC by exploiting a vulnerability in Windows that Microsoft Corp. fixed in October. But many people haven't applied the patch or are running pirated copies of Windows that don't get the updates.
Unlike other Internet threats that trick people into downloading a malicious program, Conficker is so good at spreading because it finds vulnerable PCs on its own and doesn't need human involvement to infect a machine.
Once inside, it does nasty things. The worm tries to crack administrators' passwords, disables security software, blocks access to antivirus vendors' Web sites to prevent updating, and opens the machines to further infections by Conficker's authors.
Someone whose machine is infected might have to reinstall the operating system.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Behind Every Lie is a Clue to the Truth
GreatOwl
Monkey Junky

« Reply #89 on: April 03, 2009, 07:05:45 PM »

The greatest share of those infected seem to be in the Asian market!

It is not a threat to the Mac OSX platform since it is not designed to work with a Mac.  It could hypothetically infect a portion of a Mac if you are running a Windows PC program within the environment, but then it would just be that portion.  This is what has been explain by Apple.

Dihannah1
Monkey All Star Jr.

God watch over our children and keep them safe.

« Reply #90 on: April 05, 2009, 02:00:46 AM »

Just a quick tip. I haven't read back to see if anything has been posted about this.  But I just love it!   It's a new Internet Explorer, that has many nice features, but the one I like, I never get pop-ups (yes, even here)!   It makes surfing so smoother.   It's from Google and it's called Chrome, if you have not heard of it.  It's a fairly new product and I won't use anything else now.   Just do a search on Google Chrome and download. It makes surfing much less hectic and less of a hassle with the popups.  Also, enjoy the additional features and add-ons.

God has FINAL Judgement!<br />
Leroy
Monkey Junky

« Reply #91 on: April 05, 2009, 09:56:42 AM »

Just a quick tip. I haven't read back to see if anything has been posted about this.  But I just love it!   It's a new Internet Explorer, that has many nice features, but the one I like, I never get pop-ups (yes, even here)!   It makes surfing so smoother.   It's from Google and it's called Chrome, if you have not heard of it.  It's a fairly new product and I won't use anything else now.   Just do a search on Google Chrome and download. It makes surfing much less hectic and less of a hassle with the popups.  Also, enjoy the additional features and add-ons.

Thank you for this....i have downloaded it and really like it!

Faith . . . it matters . . . it really does. ~ Sister
oldiebutgoodie
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #92 on: April 05, 2009, 10:56:13 PM »

I thought this article might be useful:

What computer files to back up -- and how to do it

If you're backing up anything -- whether you're copying to an external hard drive, optical disc, or over the web -- you're ahead of the game, but for most people, backing up their files usually amounts to making a copy of the My Documents folder and calling it quits.

But there's lots more you can -- and should -- back up than just your documents, pictures, and music. And today Killer Tech Tips offers suggestions on how to improve the comprehensiveness of your backup by showing you six things you probably never thought about backing up before -- and how to get the job done painlessly.

MORE DETAILS HERE

BETH HOLLOWAY: "We will not let this go until we take Natalee home. It will never end."
oldiebutgoodie
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #93 on: April 05, 2009, 11:09:29 PM »

Some more good basics for technotards like me:

What is Wi-Fi?
It's the most popular wireless standard, and comes in 802.11a, b and g varieties. 802.11 g is the most comptible with most networks and hotspots.

What's a hotspot?
Wi-Fi hotspots are locations, like a coffee shop or airport, where you can access the Net if you have a Wi-Fi-enabled computer or PDA. Most are pay-per-use.

What’s a Wi-Fi router?
It's a device that's part of a home or business wireless network that connects computers to share a Net connection, a printer, and more.

Simple tricks to improve your Wi-Fi

Who Else Is on Your Wi-Fi Network?

Troubleshooting Wi-Fi Dropouts

What do I need to have a wireless in my apartment?  How much do they cost?

ANSWER:  If you have broadband such as DSL or Cable then you need to get a home Wireless router. DLink, Netgear and Linksys all make models priced about the same with the same feature set, ... Read more

PCMAG's "Networking: The Essential Buying Guide"

BETH HOLLOWAY: "We will not let this go until we take Natalee home. It will never end."
GreatOwl
Monkey Junky

« Reply #94 on: April 07, 2009, 05:49:06 PM »

I have known about Chrome for a few months now, but they have not come out with a version for the MAC yet.  We are still waiting.  Camino is another browser that blocks all pop ups.  FireFox will block many of the adds.  Shiira is an interesting browser that has not caught on yet.   If anything is certain it is that once a browser finds a way to block ads those that produce the ad programs will find a way around them.

I have not been bothered by most ads except the audio ones....  That is a bit obnoxious and I have begun to run into a few here.  I have no problem with a site using ads to pay for bandwidth.  I really don't like those that either freeze your browser or come out with a double volume audio message.   I usually have music in the background when surfing and so my audio is on.  I just make it a point of not visiting sites use audio.

oldiebutgoodie
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #95 on: April 11, 2009, 10:58:51 AM »

I generally want to block pop-ups but I also want the option to allow them, especially when I am paying bills online because you are usually sent to another page (secure) by way of it being a pop-up from the original page and pop-up blocking software will prevent that. I also used to have problems paying my property taxes online for the same reason but I discovered this year that the tax collector's website has made the additional info required to be yet another page in a series of pages shown in sequence rather as yet more pop-ups and that's much better.

I wonder if companies with genuine advertisements that use pop-ups actually realize that people are so annoyed by that, having your product appear in a pop-up means that potential customer has just shut you out. I won't do business by way of any pop-up ad. EVER.

oldiebutgoodie
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #96 on: April 11, 2009, 11:07:20 AM »

More on Cornficker:

Conficker also installs fake antivirus software

Researchers have discovered another feature of the Conficker worm that provides an additional clue about the intent of the creators--the worm installs malware that masquerades as antivirus software, Trend Micro said on Friday.

The worm, which has infected millions of Windows-based computers on the Internet, is downloading a program called Spyware Protect 2009 and displaying warning messages saying that the computer is infected and offering to clean it up for $49.95, according to the Trend Micro blog.

If you see this pop-up message, chances are your computer is infected with Conficker. The latest feature of the widespread worm is that it installs fake antivirus software on infected machines.

The infection alerts repeatedly appear and experts are worried that people may be clicking on them and paying for the software just to be rid of the annoying messages, thereby handing thieves their credit card information.

The fake antivirus program also attempts to install a Trojan downloader that is programmed to download new versions of Spyware Protect 2009, according to Kasperky Lab's blog. However, the domain the Trojan downloader was being accessed from has been shut down, the blog said.

The fake antivirus feature further bolsters the speculation that the motivation behind the worm is to make money and not a desire to disrupt computer or network operations.

Researchers were still analyzing new component code of the worm that began being spread via peer-to-peer and being downloaded off domains that host the Waledec worm on Wednesday but were finding the task difficult because the instructions are encrypted.

The worm spreads via a hole in Windows that Microsoft patched in October, as well as through removable storage devices and network shares with weak passwords. The worm disables security software and blocks access to security Web sites.

Despite all the news the worm has made, many computers still remain unpatched, Sophos said. Of the number of people who have used Sophos' free endpoint assessment test to check the security risk of a network since the beginning of the year, 11 percent did not have the Microsoft patch installed, according to Graham Cluley's blog at Sophos.

For the month of March, 10 percent of all of the people who used the Sophos assessment tool were missing the patch, he said. The company did not divulge exactly how many people had used the tool and Cluley said the statistics cannot be extrapolated to represent the number of unpatched systems on the Internet.

In an indication of infection rates, IBM's Internet Security Systems group released statistics that show that the number of unique IPs infected with Conficker.C is increasing slightly.

Based on infections seen through monitoring devices in its IBM ISS' Managed Security Services, the number has grown from just over 64,000 on April 2 to more than 71,000 on April 8, according to the unit's Frequency X blog.

"We've seen around 11 percent more unique IPs in the past few days in comparison to a week ago," the blog said, also adding that the number doesn't necessarily indicate the scope of worldwide Conficker infection.

Nearly 60 percent of the infections monitored by IBM ISS are in Asia, followed by 18 percent each in Europe and South America, and 4 percent in North America, the statistics show. By country, China leads with 16.6 percent, followed by Brazil at 10.8 percent, Russia at 10.2 percent and Korea at 4.6 percent, according to ISS.

To check if your computer is infected you can use this Conficker Eye Chart or this site at the University of Bonn. There is also a Conficker removal guide on CNET's Download.com site.

LINK

danabar
Scared Monkey

« Reply #97 on: April 26, 2009, 01:57:45 PM »

Hi Monkeys,
Could someone tell me how to make some of my words in a post bigger.
I have tried the font thingy but it is not working for me or I'm not doing it right.  I'm doing pretty good with all the other stuff. Smile
TIA

"Oh, what a tangled web we weave, when first we practice to deceive."
GreatOwl
Monkey Junky

« Reply #98 on: April 28, 2009, 01:04:54 PM »

Hi Monkeys,
I have tried the font thingy but it is not working for me or I'm not doing it right.  I'm doing pretty good with all the other stuff. Smile
TIA
Not sure how that works.......

GreatOwl
Monkey Junky

« Reply #99 on: April 28, 2009, 01:13:36 PM »

Hi Monkeys,
TIA
Not sure how that works.......

when you click on the size button you need to arrow back to the number and change it manually   then replace your cursor between the brackets             ]cursor[

click on quote and you can study what it looks like.   

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.