March 28, 2024, 11:54:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: oxicotin  (Read 8399 times)
GreatOwl
Monkey Junky

« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2007, 12:03:48 AM »

I'll let ya all google how to dispose of meds, but flushing them down the toilet is extremely bad for the environment.

There are now numerous warnings against doing so since water treatment plants are not designed to filter out the drugs.

"May you have the hindsight to know where you've been,
 the foresight to know where you're going and
 the insight to know when you've gone too far."
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2007, 10:20:32 AM »

Snoopy, thank you and I agree at your mom's age with the health issues, pain management should have been a top priority. We all know she didn't want to be dependent upon it, but her quality of life would have suffered greatly had she not. Like you, I flushed about $9,000.00 worth of unused chemo drugs down the potty that night. I even asked the nurse why on earth they didn't recapture those and have a program to help those without medical insurance.........she said FDA regs would not allow this? unreal and what an utter waste.

GO, pretty frightening isn't it? I know our city water got a good dose of some very toxic drugs that night. Sad thing is I think I was the only one present with any conscience that night regarding any of it  Confused

I continue to stand with the girl.
GreatOwl
Monkey Junky

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2007, 11:08:31 AM »

Quote from: "nonesuche"
Snoopy,  Like you, I flushed about $9,000.00 worth of unused chemo drugs down the potty that night. I even asked the nurse why on earth they didn't recapture those and have a program to help those without medical insurance.........she said FDA regs would not allow this? unreal and what an utter waste.

GO, pretty frightening isn't it? I know our city water got a good dose of some very toxic drugs that night. Sad thing is I think I was the only one present with any conscience that night regarding any of it  Confused

There are certain free clinics which will accept medications if they are still sealed.  I know from my own hospital stay a couple of months ago that they have now gone to keeping medications in seal packets and locked in a drawer in each patientts room.  Each day the pharmacy sent up the days dosage, so everything else was kept in the pharmacy.

It does seem like the more progressive we get the more behinded we become.  As I float over the streams and rivers I can see some pretty high fishy's and duckies.  As we harvest those species and put them on the dinner table we soon will not need to have pharmacies as everyone can go down to their local stream for a fix.   Laughing

nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2007, 02:00:18 PM »

GO you are so right, the hurrier we go down the drug development highway the behinder we get in progress as it relates to useage and even it would appear genuine and real notification of possible side effects. Actually some of the drugs we flushed were experimental so I'll feel really badly if fish or ducks with three heads start appearing at the lake near to us !

FYI for any interested, new report regarding prostate cancer released today......it appears excessive vitamins can worsen this cancer so please all guys make sure your doctor is aware of the level of your vitamin intake.

GreatOwl
Monkey Junky

« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2007, 03:41:38 PM »

Gee, I just went through that surgery exactly two months ago.  Not the funest surgery I have had but certainly not the worst.  I am recovering pretty well so far.  Now its just the 3 month check up I dread.  Shocked

nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2007, 12:04:13 AM »

GO I hope it goes well for you and that new study did state that large vitamin dosage can accelerate it, so please review that with your physician too. We need you healthy !

Angiex911dsptchr
Monkey All Star

« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2007, 12:20:23 AM »

Crying or Very sad  Too sad. and I do recall what you went through back when Rick was ill.  The nurses and all.  Sad  So sorry again. SIghhhhhhhhhh
Dihannah1
Monkey All Star Jr.

God watch over our children and keep them safe.

« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2007, 03:47:28 PM »

Nonesy,  that is such a horrible story. I think I would have just went OFF on her and told her to kiss my a$$.   What is she going to do?  That was so insensitive and I'm sure the drugs were the least of your concerns at the time.   Especially, since those were probably a great comfort for him in his last days.
I have never heard anything bad about hospice before, I pray that your experience was just an exception and I certainly hope somebody let's them know how they need some improvement in you area so as others may not have to experience such a horrible situation again.  I am so sorry to hear you had to endure that! {{HUGS}}

I guess I don't understand why they are making such a big deal about just Oxycontin.  ALL narcotic drugs are addictive if abused.  But they are a godsend for those who need it.  I guess I never questioned whether it was or not, because of known addictions to any narcotic..

God has FINAL Judgement!<br />
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2007, 07:33:33 AM »

Angie thank you, we survived it and I try hard to forgive that nurse now.

Dihannah, thank you. I had been up for two days with no rest at that point, I also think I was just in a stupor from the events and the loss. I'm not sure I had it in me to push back, rick's mother had been extremely emotional and distraught at his bedside as well for that entire day too. The funeral director she contacted also was heck to deal with, he arrived moments later and when his own staff didn't show up, he asked my kids to help him remove Rick's body? That night truly remains the worst ever in our lives for many reasons.

Someday I may write a book........oddly enough when looking for an easy A in college in an elective, I took a course based upon a great book "On Death and Dying". That was in the late 70's but it details all of the stages we traverse in dealing with death so well. To think I had that information yet the caretakers around us with hospice and the funeral home didn't practice it? Something is wrong here.....and yes, several friends did warn me in advance that hospice might not be what we hoped. I had hoped they were wrong, sadly they were not.

justinsmama
Monkey Junky

« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2007, 09:49:08 AM »

Nonesy~  

Bobo2
Scared Monkey

« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2007, 03:00:19 PM »

Quote from: "nonesuche"
The funeral director she contacted also was heck to deal with, he arrived moments later and when his own staff didn't show up, he asked my kids to help him remove Rick's body?

Shocked

Oh nonesuche, what an ordeal. You need to write that book because that story should be told.

I told you about the wonderful experience we had with a hospice nurse.  So much of that time is a blur for me, but I just remembered that it was not an official hospice program we had my mom in.  We just hired a newly graduated nurse who was looking for a permanent position, and she served as a hospice nurse for us.  Maybe that is why the experience was better?
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2007, 11:40:29 AM »

Thanks Justins, I try to push back those memories for it's just so painful still..

Bobo2 - I am glad you had loving care instead of our experience and since in some states hospice is state-regulated and some are privatized and in others not, I think there is some good and some bad depending upon where you live? I also suspect that the nursing shortage impacts hospice and retaining good ones may be hard, for their budget likely can't rival nursing salaries such as in medical centers?

We did have a great counselor but for Rick, the nursing care was key. Just a few days before he passed he had an episode where his extremities turned blue. It was late at night and I called the emergency number at hospice and a nurse who luckily lived closeby came over. She was compassionate and I wish we'd had her instead of the one we did have assigned to us. She also explained to me and to daughter that death was imminent, something our other nurse seemed not to believe? If not for her I might not have been prepared for what came next, he passed 3 days after that. The hardest thing and only other regret I have is that when the episode happened he looked at me and asked me "am I dying?" and I lied, even though I didn't know for sure I know I was lying in my heart when I told him "no I don't think so but I"m calling for a nurse right now".

So I feel the lack of nursing care and information from our assigned nurse put me into that position, and I often wonder now if he forgave me? I also wonder how families with members with serious chronic illnesses cope with all the emotions and challenges? Euthanasia being one thought, another being having to utilize heavy pain meds for often years? It's so much to reconcile and such a fine line. As Snoopy mentioned, oxycontin and similar drugs allow some in our country to get through the day and function or have some measure of quality of life. I've had to stand at the prescription counter and answer the spanish inquisition one goes through to get those prescriptions filled when Rick was too sick to make the trip, but with our country now stating prescription drug abuse equals illegal drug abuse I guess we all need to understand the demand for the inquisition? I just wonder how really sick people have the energy to stand there and jump through all the hoops?

I also just wish our drug developers were required by the FDA to list out the top three side effects in BOLD TYPE taped to each bottle, instead of the tiny type where they bury it five pages into the literature inside your prescription bag. Increasingly it just seems the pharma companies are six removed from separation of responsibility and our FDA has to do a better job with this !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pages: « 1 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.