April 23, 2024, 05:39:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lisa Stebic, 37, Missing 5/1/2007 Plainfield Ill  (Read 50569 times)
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #100 on: May 20, 2009, 08:10:09 PM »

BUMP!!!! Woman's body found by river near Channahon
http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2009/05/channahon-des-plaines-river-body-recovery-illinois-state-police.html

also see: Stacy Peterson
http://scaredmonkeys.net/index.php?topic=2295.msg814298;boardseen#new

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #101 on: May 20, 2009, 08:27:42 PM »

Woman's body found by river near Channahon
May 20, 2009 7:11 PM | 14 Comments | UPDATED STORY
Authorities were working this afternoon to identify the badly decomposed body of a woman found by the Des Plaines River near Channahon.

Meanwhile, as investigators worked at the Big Basin Marina, where the body was discovered, the families of two missing suburban women were waiting for word on whether the discovery might yield some resolution in their relatives' disappearances.
"We've been called," said Pam Bosco, a spokeswoman for the family of Stacy Peterson, who disappeared from Bolingbrook in October 2007. "We're in contact by phone. We're just waiting to hear more information. For confirmation though, they said it's going to be a little bit of time.  Obviously we're anticipating that it could be anyone - you know, Lisa Stebic is missing too -- but we just want an answer of who this woman is."

Stebic's family also was aware of the grisly discovery and was waiting for word from Illinois State Police officials, who are conducting the investigation.

"We haven't heard anything from Illinois State Police -- yet," said Melanie Greenberg, a spokeswoman for Stebic's family. "But it could be anybody; there are several missing women. But the location is just south, not very far away. [If it is her], the overwhelming feeling would be relief that we found her and that there is resolution. And we'd finally be able to put her to rest."

According to Roy Taylor, who has been leading the water searches for Peterson's body in the area, a crew cleaning up the river found the body on the shore sometime this afternoon.

The manager of nearby Mugzy's Bar said the body was discovered about 3 p.m. by the Living Lands and Waters clean-up crew, which the bar had hired to clean part of the river.

"We saw the trooper flying into the parking lot, and the Living Lands and Waters boat was coming down the river and the trooper jumped in their boat," said Ben, who asked that his last name not be used.

Ben said the crew, which is based out of Moline, came about four days ago and he briefed them that searchers had been sifting through the waters, apparently looking for Stacy Peterson's body.

"I told them that we had a flood last September, it was the worst flood ever, it was knee-deep in the parking lot. I told them if you're going to find anything, it's probably going to be onshore, because of the flood," he said. "They'd be a big help and get some closure to this case if they came across something. I knew it was a long shot."

The body was not in the water, but was found in the brush on the shore, according to a state police source. Other bodies had been found in the area in the past, the source said, including the remains of the Vaughn family, which were found in a car on a frontage road near the Stevenson in Channahon Township in 2007.

Stebic was last seen in Plainfield in April 2007. Plainfield police investigators are in contact with state police investigators, said public information officer Jim Caliendo.

"We're just letting them do their thing -- at this point we're not sure if it's even connected with our case or not," he said. "If we do get that information, we'll send an investigator out."

"I found out through a friend. We're just hopeful, I'm so hopeful and I'm ecstatic," said Stacy Peterson's aunt, Candace Aikin, who lives near Los Angeles. "I'm hoping that it is Stacy. Our family really wants closure. Then we'll at least know what happened. We have so many unanswered questions and no closure is really hard.
http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2009/05/channahon-des-plaines-river-body-recovery-illinois-state-police.html

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #102 on: May 20, 2009, 08:30:22 PM »

DNA needed to identify woman's body

http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/heraldnews/news/1583226,Body-found-in-river_JO052009.article

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #103 on: May 21, 2009, 05:10:52 PM »

Coroner: Autopsy on human remains inconclusive

Associated Press - May 21, 2009 4:44 PM ET

JOLIET, Ill. (AP) - The Will County coroner says results are inconclusive from an autopsy performed on human remains found along the Des Plaines River.

Coroner Patrick O'Neil said in a news release Thursday that his office is unable to conclude the identity, race or sex of the skeletal remains. O'Neil says an expedited DNA analysis by the Illinois State Police Forensic Crime Laboratory will likely take about two weeks.

Members of a cleanup crew found the remains Wednesday afternoon. The discovery prompted speculation the remains were related to the local long-running, high-profile missing persons cases of Stacy Peterson or Lisa Stebic.

The coroner says shreds of blue jeans and a small amount of U.S. currency were found along with the remains.

http://www.wandtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=10405060

Red
Administrator
Monkey Junky

« Reply #104 on: May 22, 2009, 07:22:31 AM »

Daily Commentary - Friday, May 22nd, 2009 - Body Found by Des Plaines River … Is it Stacy Peterson or Lisa Stebic?

http://scaredmonkeys.com/2009/05/22/daily-commentary-friday-may-22nd-2009-body-found-by-des-plaines-river-is-it-stacy-peterson-or-lisa-stebic/

This location has been the subject of earlier searches for missing women Lisa Stebic and the Stacy Peterson, the wife of recently charged murder suspect Drew Peterson.
Could the remains found be that of either Stacy Peterson or Lisa Stebic? Presently both families do not know the identity of the badly decomposed body that was found as they must wait for and autopsy and DNA testing to be completed.
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #105 on: May 25, 2009, 07:44:40 PM »

http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2009/05/body-des-plaines-river-peterson-stebic.html

Des Plaines River body yields few clues
May 25, 2009 5:30 PM | No Comments
No one knows yet how the body found along the Des Plaines River last week ended up there.

The body is undergoing DNA testing, and officials said results aren't expected for up to two weeks. Sources said they could be returned as early as this week.

Even if the body is identified, further investigation will likely be needed to tell how long it was in the water, or when the person died, said noted forensic pathologist Dr. Michael Baden, who is familiar with the cases of missing Will County women Stacy Peterson and Lisa Stebic.
If the body was submerged, there's little doubt its journey through the debris-filled river was rough. It may have crashed into boat traffic that moves year-round, got stuck on logs and roots, and been impacted by fish, wildlife and the changing currents and temperatures. By the time it arrived onshore, not far from Big Basin Marina near Channahon, only portions of the midsection and partial leg bones were left.

Although a preliminary autopsy last week couldn't say whether the body was that of a man or woman, the race or identity, the remains did hold a few clues. Found with the body were shreds of jeans, meaning the person likely had not been out for a swim and then drowned.

Baden, who is not involved with last week's discovery, said the cause of death may never be known.

"This is the kind of body that could be in the water for one year, or five years, because there was a lot of destruction from the body," he said.  "The first thing is, who is it. Once you know who it is, you can get a better determination of how the body got there."

The DNA could be extracted from bone marrow or other cells, experts said.

"Frankly, you've got bones," said Dr. Peter G. Candel, a pathologist and senior partner at Holy Cross Hospital who is not involved in the investigation. "There is residual cellular material that can be found in the marrow, the bone itself or adherent tissues. ... You just need to get molecules of DNA out to do comparison."

Over the decades, the Des Plaines River has become a dumping ground for bodies, including four victims of John Wayne Gacy. It's at least 9 feet deep and up to 50 feet in places, according to the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. Because of industry in the area, the water is murky and warm and for the most part does not freeze over in winter. Commercial boat traffic is year round. When it rains, the current moves faster, boating officials said.

Bodies decompose faster in warmer waters, said Baden, who performed an autopsy on Kathleen Savio on behalf her family. Drew Peterson is charged with Savio's 2004 death and is a suspect in Stacy Peterson's disappearance. He has denied wrongdoing in both cases.

"Normally what happens in the water, in the northern part of the United States, the bodies that go in cold water will stay under until the water warms up," Baden said. "May is the time in general in the [northern United States] when bodies start coming to the surface."
While DNA may answer some questions about the body, it likely won't reveal exactly what happened.

Stacy Peterson and Stebic have been missing since 2007. Plainfield police have named Stebic's husband, Craig, a "person of interest" in her case. He has denied wrongdoing.

"It's on our minds constantly. Right now, it's all we can think about," said Pam Bosco, a spokeswoman for Stacy Peterson's family. "Whoever this person is, it's going to be good for somebody to get some closure. Our hearts go out to any family in this situation."

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #106 on: May 27, 2009, 09:09:37 PM »

Body found in Des Plaines River is not Peterson or Stebic
Published: 5/27/2009 5:55 PM
DNA tests performed by state police reveal it was a man's body found last week washed ashore on the Des Plaines River near Channahon.
Illinois State Police have yet to identify the man, whose corpse was found on May 20 on the river's shore. Master Sgt. Tom Burek did not release further details about the man, including his age.
This ends speculation that the body could have been either Lisa Stebic of Plainfield or Stacy Peterson of Bolingbrook.
http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=296690

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #107 on: May 28, 2009, 08:02:33 PM »

'We will never waver in our promise' 

May 28, 2009

Judy and Lawrence Ruttenberg, parents of Lisa Ruttenberg Stebic, wrote this statement before state police identified the remains as belonging to a man:

We hope and pray that our beloved Lisa has been found. We continue to endure the pain and anxiety of waiting to find her.

RELATED STORIES
• Remains in river not Lisa's or Stacy's
If this is our daughter, we will only be able to lay her to rest with the dignity and respect she so deserves! This is the most important thing to us.

Our anger and sadness is overwhelming, and we will stand together as a family united in our quest that finding her becomes a reality.

We will never waver in our promise to our daughter as we remember, honor and love her every day.

The magnitude of our tragic loss has profoundly changed our lives forever!

We will never have closure or resolution, the reason being we don't have our Lisa!

We need justice for our Lisa!

We want her murderer to pay the ultimate price for his brutal actions!

You are always in our hearts.

Lisa Michelle Ruttenberg

http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/heraldnews/news/1595751,4_1_JO28_WAITING_S2-090528.article

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #108 on: October 28, 2009, 03:02:15 PM »

Stebic charged with assault

October 27, 2009
PLAINFIELD — Craig Stebic was arrested Sunday.

"He was arrested for assault on a matter that is not related to the disappearance of his wife," Plainfield police Cmdr. Ken Ruggles said Monday afternoon.

The incident involving Stebic, 43, happened at 1:37 p.m. in front of his home, 13244 Red Star Drive, Ruggles said.

"He was arrested for the charge of assault after he made a threatening statement to a neighbor," Ruggles said, although he wouldn't elaborate.

The police went to the neighborhood after receiving a complaint about fireworks, Ruggles said.

"Beyond that, I can't comment on who was directly involved at this point," Ruggles said.

On April 30, 2007, Lisa Stebic, 37, disappeared. The mother of two was last seen by her husband at their home in the Nature's Crossing subdivision.

Stebic told police she simply walked away, her purse and cell phone in hand.

The couple had a longtime marriage but were divorcing. Stebic didn't report her missing. A neighbor notified the authorities the next day.

Plainfield police began searching for Lisa, and family, friends, neighbors, complete strangers and the FBI soon joined them. More than two years later, she hasn't been found.

In July 2007, Plainfield police dubbed Stebic a person of interest in the case, but he hasn't been charged with any crime.

'Neighbor started' it

During the investigation into Lisa Stebic's disappearance, police seized vehicles and guns from the Stebic home. Represented by Joliet attorney George Lenard, Stebic eventually got everything back.

Lenard, who still represents Stebic, had little to say Monday about his client's arrest on assault charges.

"It is my understanding that his neighbor started some type of dispute and the police were called," Lenard said. "I won't know more until I find out if a police report was prepared regarding the incident."

http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/heraldnews/news/1846718,Stebic-charged-with-assault_jo102609.article

linds1980
Scared Monkey

« Reply #109 on: December 15, 2009, 05:09:40 AM »

http://www.kwqc.com/global/story.asp?s=11677804

Mich. billboard for missing Ill. woman

Associated Press - December 15, 2009 4:14 AM ET

CHICAGO (AP) - An advertising billboard is going up in Michigan in another bid to try and find an Illinois mother missing since 2007.

The billboard featuring a photo of Lisa Stebic is being placed in Michigan's Upper Peninsula where her husband's family had a vacation cabin. Text emblazoned on it says, "Where is Lisa Stebic?" with the words "Someone Knows!" underneath. It also offers a $75,000 reward.

The mother of 2 was last seen in Plainfield, Ill., in April 2007. Authorities have named Stebic's husband, Craig, a "person of interest" in her disappearance. But he isn't charged with any crime and has denied involvement.

Stebic family spokesmen say they're asking Michigan hunters and snowmobilers to report any sightings of bones or remains to authorities.
AmandaReckonwith
Scared Monkey

« Reply #110 on: December 16, 2009, 03:07:04 PM »

http://s296.photobucket.com/albums/mm166/crankycrankerson/Lisa%20Stebic/

Saved pictures from Lisa's case.

Saved pictures and vids from lots of cases:

http://s296.photobucket.com/albums/mm166/crankycrankerson/
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #111 on: May 01, 2010, 02:53:34 PM »

Apr 30, 2010 6:14 pm US/Central
3 Years Later, Stebic Investigation Gets More Help
Task Force Will Take A Fresh Look At Plainfield Mother's 2007 Disappearance

Three years ago, Lisa Stebic -- a mother of two from Plainfield -– disappeared.

It has been an agonizing time for her family and friends. They've conducted many searches and offered a $75,000 reward. Though her husband, Craig, was named a person of interest, there's been no break in the case.

But CBS 2's Jim Williams reports the investigation is about to move to another level.

On Friday, Lisa Stebic's family and friends made a vow.

"We're going to be here -- every anniversary, every birthday. We're going to be here," Karen Jahnke said.

And at the Plainfield Police Department, they got welcome news: More resources will be devoted to finding out what happened to the missing woman.

"It never hurts to have fresh eyes look at an investigation," Police Chief William Doster said.

Those fresh eyes are the Will/Grundy Major Crimes Task Force -- 80 investigators representing 36 law enforcement agencies, including the FBI and Illinois State Police.

"These investigators are highly trained, highly skilled and very experienced," Joliet police chief Fred Hayes, who heads the task force, said.

The investigators will conduct a new round of interviews.

"Every time you interview someone in a criminal case, you never know," Will County State's Attorney James Glasgow said. "Something they might say to an investigator might mean nothing to the person being interviewed, but it is a trigger to something else."

Stebic's family has feared the case could be cold.

"Those leads had dried out," said Melanie Greenberg, Stebic's cousin. "It's not like the early days in the case, when there was a flood of tips."

Stebic's husband, Craig, remains a person of interest in the case, authorities say.

And because Lisa Stebic's cell phone and credit cards haven't been used since she disappeared, time helps investigators, though they believe ultimately the news will be grim.

"It becomes easier to prove in a court of law beyond a reasonable doubt that a person has been killed as time goes," Glasgow said.

Greenberg holds out hope Lisa Stebic's remains will be found and identified.

"We know that Lisa is dead," Greenberg said. "We know she is gone. But we need to put her to rest with the dignity and respect she deserves."
http://cbs2chicago.com/local/Lisa.Stebic.three.2.1667405.html

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #112 on: May 01, 2010, 02:54:45 PM »

After 3 years, search for Lisa Stebic continues
April 30, 2010 3:19 PM | No Comments
The Will/Grundy Major Crimes Task Force will join the investigation into the disappearance of Lisa Stebic, authorities said today, the third anniversary of the day she was last seen.

The move means that the case will now be investigated by more than 80 new detectives who will try to determine what happened to the mother of two. New Plainfield Police Chief William Doster said he requested help from the task force because the case needs fresh eyes.

"One of the priorities I set for myself when I became chief was to review the Stebic files," he said. "The investigation was very well done by my detectives. It never hurts to have fresh eyes look at an investigation."

Doster said in three years, no one has seen any activity by Stebic: no cell phone use, no use of her credit cards, social security number or identification. That has led authorities to believe she was a victim of foul play.

Stebic was last seen on April 30, 2007, at her home in Plainfield. Her husband, Craig Stebic, was working in the yard and her two children had gone to the store for candy, said Melanie Greenberg, a spokeswoman for Lisa's family and the missing woman's cousin. When the children returned, Lisa Stebic was gone, and no one saw her again.

"She vanished seemingly into thin air," Greenberg said, holding a picture of her cousin. "The person who wanted Lisa to go missing wanted to erase her. It's been three years but we're fighting just as hard for Lisa to be found."
http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2010/04/lisa-stebic-plainfield-missing-person-will-county-grundy-major-crimes.html

grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #113 on: April 27, 2012, 09:04:45 PM »

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2012/04/27/family-members-frustrated-as-lisa-stebic-case-remains-unsolved/

Family Members Frustrated As Lisa Stebic Case Remains Unsolved
April 27, 2012 2:02 PM

PLAINFIELD, Ill. (CBS) — Family members of Lisa Stebic, the Plainfield woman missing since April 2007, say they remain frustrated that the case is still unsolved.

WBBM Newrsadio’s Dave Berner spoke with a member of the Stebic family as the fifth year anniversary of Lisa’s disappearance approaches.

LISTEN: WBBM Newsradio’s Dave Berner reports
 ::snipping2::
“As the (Peterson) trial unfolds, we will be watching that closely to see how that plays out,” she said.

A reward of $75,000 is still in place, and Greenberg says it might just take one piece of the puzzle to solve this case.

“All they would need to do is call the Plainfield police and give a tip that really leads to finding Lisa,” she said.

Authorities and Lisa’s family have long believed she was the victim of foul play, and Craig Stebic has been named as a person of interest.
KittyMom
Monkey All Star Jr.

Borgman

« Reply #114 on: April 28, 2012, 01:31:53 AM »

Craig Stebic knows what happened.  And guess what Craig...the children are smart enough to figure it out.  One day they'll look you in the eye and demand to know what you did.  I hope there is a little clock ticking away in the back of your mind everyday that passes. 

Tick-tock, tick-tock

These are my opinions and subject to change.
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #115 on: April 30, 2012, 10:50:19 PM »

Craig Stebic knows what happened.  And guess what Craig...the children are smart enough to figure it out.  One day they'll look you in the eye and demand to know what you did.  I hope there is a little clock ticking away in the back of your mind everyday that passes. 

Tick-tock, tick-tock

bbm ^^^

grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #116 on: April 30, 2012, 10:54:38 PM »

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=news/local&id=8641178

Family seeks closure in Stebic disappearance
Monday, April 30, 2012

April 29, 2012 (PLAINFIELD, Ill.) (WLS) -- Monday marks the fifth anniversary of the disappearance of Lisa Stebic of Plainfield.

There will be no public memorials to commemorate the anniversary.

Instead, in what's become a yearly tradition, her niece and nephew will write a note, tie it to a balloon and release it. After five years of not knowing what happened to the mother of two, her family says things have only gotten worse.

"The grief is just as intense as it was five years ago," said her cousin, Melanie Greenberg.

Since her disappearance, it has fallen to Greenberg to represent the family and not let Lisa's memory be erased from the public.

"It's extremely difficult to move on and find closure because Lisa's body is missing," Greenberg said. "We know she's dead, but we cannot put her to rest. We cannot hold a funeral. We cannot mourn her in a proper way."

Lisa Stebic was 37 years old, when on April 30, 2007, she left her Plainfield home to go work out and never came back.

Her husband, Craig Stebic, always maintained that she'd left him and refused to help police or participate in any of the multiple searches for Lisa. And though that made him a suspect, he's never been charged in her disappearance. Neither has anyone else.

Despite the time that's passed, it's still catalogued as an open investigation by police.

"After five years, the number of tips called in to the Plainfield police have slowed to a trickle and it's part of why we're still speaking out today," Greenberg said. "We're hoping that one person will go to findlisastebic.com, (and) step forward.
cw618
Monkey Junky

« Reply #117 on: May 01, 2012, 05:36:50 PM »

i havent read all the way back on lisa,and most of this has prob been covered
just thought it interesting

a timeline
http://www.acandyrose.com/lisa_stebic_timeline.htm

goodmorn,goodnite, got to go, as always its been wonderful, talking with you, and most of all have a great day, and dont forget to smile
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #118 on: June 25, 2012, 10:23:26 PM »

http://www.fbi.gov/wanted/kidnap/lisa-michelle-stebic/view
LISA MICHELLE STEBIC

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #119 on: September 09, 2012, 12:06:59 AM »

http://heraldnews.suntimes.com/news/14996246-418/glasgow-stebic-case-on-the-front-burner.html

Glasgow: Stebic case ‘on the front burner’
September 8, 2012 2:56AM

Five years ago, two women from Will County were reported missing within six months of each other.Lisa Stebic, of Plainfield, vanished first, in April 2007. Stacy Peterson, of Bolingbrook, disappeared in October 2007.

On Thursday, Stacy’s husband, Drew Peterson, learned he’s headed to prison for killing his third wife, Kathleen Savio.

Will County State’s Attorney Jim Glasgow said Friday he’s not only pondering charges in Stacy’s disappearance, but is also putting the Stebic case “on the front burner.” Glasgow said investigators have “significant evidence” in the Stebic case, and that as soon as the Christopher Vaughn trial ends, his top prosecutors will review it all.

“With the evidence that we would have, you can prosecute a murder case without a body,” Glasgow said Friday. “It’s more difficult, but the longer the person is missing with absolutely no contact, the stronger the case becomes that they’re deceased.”

For Lisa’s family, who have watched a trail of tips gradually go cold, Glasgow’s vow carried a lot of weight.

Melanie Greenberg, a spokesperson for Lisa Stebic’s family, said Friday she knows Lisa’s family will be gratified to know that Glasgow has made the case a top priority.

“I am so glad of the news of Drew Peterson’s conviction, especially as it brings some closure to Stacy’s family as well as the Savio family,” Greenberg wrote in an email. “Both families have waited years for this day of justice.

“Our family has waited over five years for any signs of justice,” she continued. “In Lisa’s case there has never even been an arrest although there has only ever been one person of interest: her husband Craig.”
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.