March 19, 2024, 04:26:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SOS - April is Genocide Awareness Month  (Read 1121 times)
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« on: May 24, 2011, 04:42:51 PM »

SOS Women and Children Traumatized by Genocide

April 11, 2011: April is Genocide Awareness Month, a time to remember that genocide, which people can sometimes view as abstract, comes down to very real individual tragedies.

Take the story of Bridgette (name has been changed), today an SOS Mother in Rwanda. On April 7, 1994, she was a young mother living in eastern Rwanda, about 60 miles from the capital, Kigali, when she found herself in a hardship most of us cannot imagine. The cause: searing ethnic strife between Hutus and Tutsis, unleashing violence that killed up to a million people in three months. No one was spared.

“In the early hours, armed people attacked us with machetes, lances, knives, tomahawks, and swords,” says Bridgette. “Everyone at home was bludgeoned to death, blaming us for having killed President Juvénal Habyarimana, which was not true. My baby died after being knocked off my back; my elder son and his father were cut into two; my brothers, my sisters, and my mother were chopped like meat.”

Bridgette doesn’t know how she survived the attack. Neighbors extracted her from among the corpses in her burned house. She was moved from house to house, hiding until each in turn became too dangerous to stay in. Somehow, she managed to stay alive.

read more here - http://www.sos-usa.org/newsroom/press-releases/Pages/SOS-Women-and-Children-Traumatized-by-Genocide.aspx

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.