April 27, 2024, 06:18:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Madeleine McCann Missing-Praia Da Luz, Portugal 3/05/07 #1  (Read 911006 times)
Rob
Monkey All Star

« Reply #1120 on: September 16, 2007, 10:03:12 AM »

Another nice snag vms. You have eyes like a hawk. He sure seems chummy with them here and this could be before he was a formal suspect. I highlight Murat.

Truth, Justice and the American Way.

+++

~ livin' the life I was born to live - givin' it all I've got to give ~
Rob
Monkey All Star

« Reply #1121 on: September 16, 2007, 10:09:06 AM »

Blown to 250% and cropped.

Could be before he was a suspect. He still seems to have his cell phone which I think was confiscated. Malinka indicates he became a focus point based on Murat's phone.

+++

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1122 on: September 16, 2007, 10:18:13 AM »

O/T

ROB
- look at 24ora this morning

http://www.24ora.com/component/option,com_frontpage/Itemid,1/
Rob
Monkey All Star

« Reply #1123 on: September 16, 2007, 10:25:47 AM »

I did already... which story? Papito or the Brommer accident? TIA Klaas.

+++

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1124 on: September 16, 2007, 10:32:32 AM »

I did already... which story? Papito or the Brommer accident? TIA Klaas.

Well I was wondering if Papito was talking about the Motorcycle fatality.  If so why?  Accidents happen all the time.  If you have any thoughts on it please post in the NH forum.  Thanks!
ldstlou
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1125 on: September 16, 2007, 11:22:53 AM »

Lies, beatings, secret trials: the dark side of police handling Madeleine case
By DAVID ROSE

Last updated at 23:39pm on 15th September 2007

SEARCHING QUESTIONS: Some of the police hunting for Madeleine

Link

I wonder what date that pic was with Murat and the police...

Thanks vms!! Best article I have read about the McCanns in a long time!! And man, great catch on Morat!!
I think the following from the article tells all:

The loss of a child evokes horror everywhere. On the Algarve, however, the need to solve the case – and, perhaps, not to leave the fear that Madeleine was killed or abducted by an unknown paedophile – has other roots as well.

"The Algarve is a family destination, and situations like this are not agreeable to anyone," said Elderico Viegas, the regional tourism authority president.

"Our reputation for safety is one of our most important values – especially with the British, who make up our biggest market."

And Algarve tourism, worth about £2.8billion a year and growing rapidly, is, Viegas said, the single biggest component of the entire Portuguese economy.

The police had, he added, mishandled the media, giving rise to damaging speculation.

"But for me, the details are not important. What's important is the economy. I was born and brought up here and I can't remember the last time a tourist was murdered." So far, he added, visitor numbers this year are up.

It's Aruba all over again!!
Can we find out more details about the mother whose daughter dissappeared who is now in jail?

"No justice for Natalee - No tourists for Aruba!"
ldstlou
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1126 on: September 16, 2007, 11:30:01 AM »

Hey Idstlou- one more thing while I'm thinking about it. Isn't it always the people that claim there is a scam that turn around and write a book or try to profit off of the misery of those they victimize?

<<<===repulsed!

And I almost forgot, Robert Murat was trying to get a book deal ...this is only 19 days after Maddy disappeared and whether or not he is innocent, I find it odd that he didn't even allow the wheels of the justice system that he lives under to turn. ODD!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=456803&in_page_id=1770&ICO=NEWS&ICL=TOPART

Madeleine suspect contacts Max Clifford to cash in on story
Last updated at 18:57pm on 22nd May 2007

I had not seen this Rob, thanks for the update. It's hard to know what Murat's role is, victim or suspect because the whole case has been bungled and because its hard to discern lies from the truth w/ all the secrecy and rumors. I am not ready to write him off yet.
I do believe the McCanns were very smart in getting new media/pr reps, the last ones obviously were not competent, I think we are going to start seeing some of the real facts coming out now. I think it still IS solveable. I just think the McCanns' are going to have to find the answers on their own, just like Natalee's family did though.
I am anxious to see what the link is between the pic of the family photo with the stranger in the background and Murat.

"No justice for Natalee - No tourists for Aruba!"
Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1127 on: September 16, 2007, 12:42:09 PM »

Rob

Was there a named spokeperson for the investigation who revealed that there were cell phone records that could possibly implicate Robert Murat and Sergei Malinka or ... did a communication record surfaced that confirmed these allegations?

You know me ... I would appreciated if you could providethe source.

Janet

Rob ... you failed to provide me with source where an "official" spokesperson for the Madeleine McCann investigation revealed the allegations which have been directed  against Robert Murat and Sergei Malinka.

The following article mirrors all that you have been implying regarding Murat and Malinka but ... where is this information coming from.

As I said before ... allegations accredited to unnamed spokespersons directed again Robert Murat and Sergei Malinka is just as troublesome to me as allegations accredited to Unnamed spokespersons directed against the McCanns.  It is my understanding that the Porteguese investigation remains silent concerning aspects of the case in regards to evidence that has been gathered.

Janet

+++++++++++++++++++++++

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/7513

May 30, 2007
By Matt Drake

Police in the Algarve confirmed Murat is their chief suspect but under Portugese law they need further evidence before they can arrest him, let alone press charges.

It is believed they are waiting for the results of DNA samples.  Yesterday it emerged that the jobless Murat, a former estate agent, had met Russian Sergey Malinka, the other man at the centre of the inquiry, the day before Madeleine was snatched.

Murat, whose claims of innocence are dogged by alleged inconsistencies, has refused to reveal what the encounter was about.

Last night detectives were examining fresh evidence that Malinka, 22, a Moscow-born IT expert, wiped clean hundreds of files on his computer hard drive minutes before police swooped on his apartment in Praia da Luz. He denies any involvement in her disappearance.

Both men have been questioned about a series of telephone calls between them in the hours immediately after Madeleine was taken from the up-market Mark Warner Ocean Club holiday resort 17 days ago.

<snipped>

Forensic experts have found no evidence of Madeleine having been taken to Murat’s home, but checks have revealed that Malinka telephoned Murat’s landline at 10.30pm on May 3, just 30 minutes after the girl went missing.

When Murat did not answer, Malinka is reported to have called Murat’s elderly mother Jennifer. Phone records show the men were in regular contact in the vital few hours after the kidnap.

Mrs Eveleigh, who runs a bed and breakfast near Praia da Luz, confirmed Murat had met Malinka shortly before the youngster, from Rothley, Leics, disappeared.

“Robert did meet with Sergey. He is just not certain which day it was,” she said. “He does not remember speaking to Sergey on the phone on the night the little girl
vanished.”

<snipped>

Loving Natalee - Beth Holloway
Page 219: I have to make difficult choices every day.  I have to make a conscious decision every morning when I wake up not to be bitter, not to live in resentment and let anger control me.  It's not easy.  I ask God to help me.
_____

“A person of integrity expects to be believed and when he’s not, he let’s time prove him right.” -unknown
Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1128 on: September 16, 2007, 01:02:51 PM »

I concede there are definitely parallels between the perception regarding the unprofessional ALE's handling of the Natalee Holloway case and ... the perception regarding the unprofessional PLE's handling of the Madeleine McCann. However ... I contend that the ALE investigation was corrupt ... an attempt to distance Joran and Paulus from implication while ... the PLE investigation was just plain incompetent. It took this law enforcement almost three months to get their act together and ... focus the investigation where it should have been focused in the beginning ... on the last persons in the company of Madeleine McCann ... the parents. Also ... the PLE getting their act together implied requesting the assistance of the British in wiretapping ... forensically searching the apartment where Madeleine was allegedly abducted and ... forensically searching the vehicle that Madeleine was allegedly place 25 days after she went missing.

I concede that I do not know if the McCanns were involved in the disappearance of their daughter following an unfortunate incident with unintended consequences but ... I do not believe they are not above suspicion.  As they were the last persons in the company of their daughter prior to the alleged abduction ... I believe they should be the primary suspects ... the exact reason I believe that Joran, Deepak and Satish should be the primary suspects in the disappearance of Natalee Holloway.

Janet

Loving Natalee - Beth Holloway
Page 219: I have to make difficult choices every day.  I have to make a conscious decision every morning when I wake up not to be bitter, not to live in resentment and let anger control me.  It's not easy.  I ask God to help me.
_____

“A person of integrity expects to be believed and when he’s not, he let’s time prove him right.” -unknown
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1129 on: September 16, 2007, 01:29:47 PM »

MADDIE: THE MISSING JOURNEY

DAILY STAR SUNDAY
16th September 2007
By Andy Lea
http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/view/15458/Maddie-The-missing-journey/
THE car hired by missing Madeleine McCann's parents was at the centre of a “missing miles” mystery last night.
(snipped)

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1130 on: September 16, 2007, 01:33:06 PM »

Man Who Could Clear McCann's
By Dominic Herbert & Ross Hall

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/1609_maddie.shtml
THIS is the secret witness whose bombshell testimony could clear the McCanns.

Pictured here for the first time, Jeremy Wilkins' evidence blows holes in the police theory that Gerry and Kate killed four-year-old Madeleine.

Wilkins — seen outside his north west London home — was the man heart surgeon Gerry McCann, 38, spoke with for up to 15 minutes outside the holiday apartments — moments after checking on his children for the last time.
(snipped)

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
vms
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1131 on: September 16, 2007, 01:57:00 PM »

Updated: 20 October 2005

Portugal’s silent child victims

• Leonor and João Cipriano, mother and uncle of Joana, stood silently and without emotion during the hearing at Portimão’s courthouse. Photo: LUIS FORRA/LUSA

• Carlos Silvino (second from right), or Bibi as he is known, faces a total of 604 counts of crimes of a sexual nature against 32 Casa Pia pupils. Photo: MANUAL DE ALMEIDA/LUSA

Link

A child sex ring operating out of the state-run children’s home?  Shocked  Evil or Very Mad

"A horse! a horse! My kingdom for a horse!"
vms
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1132 on: September 16, 2007, 05:07:15 PM »

Hope for McCanns as law on secrecy is eased

By David Harrison in Praia da Luz and Adam Lusher
Last Updated: 1:29am BST 16/09/2007

Gerry and Kate McCann may be on the edge of a breakthrough in clearing their names after a shake-up in Portuguese secrecy laws.

The country's legal system is being overhauled, lifting the veil on documents concerning their daughter Madeleine's disappearance.

The move could see an end to the swirling of rumour and speculation that has surrounded the inquiry and may also make it harder for the Portuguese police to obtain authorisation to tap the telephones of the McCanns and their confidants.

<<snipped>>

Link

"A horse! a horse! My kingdom for a horse!"
Angiex911dsptchr
Monkey All Star

« Reply #1133 on: September 16, 2007, 06:19:55 PM »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pag.....ge_id=1770

Madeleine: McCanns consult American lawyers over 'cadaver dog' evidence
Last updated at 18:07pm on 16th September 2007

Comments

Kate and Gerry McCann's legal team have consulted the lawyers of an American man accused of murdering his estranged wife in a case where cadaver dog evidence was key, a source said today.

Two British sniffer dogs, one capable of detecting blood and human remains, were brought to Portugal in early August.

The cadaver dog picked up a "scent of death" on everything from Mrs McCann's clothes to missing Madeleine's favourite soft toy Cuddle Cat, according to reports.

During police interviews the McCanns were shown a video of the animal "going crazy" when it approached their Renault Scenic hire car, newspapers have claimed.

Leaked reports from the investigation have suggested Madeleine's parents could have accidentally killed her and then disposed of her body using the car.

Although they do not know the full details of Portuguese prosecutors' case against them, the McCanns are concerned it may rest on the dog's reaction.

They want to highlight the judge's dismissal of cadaver dog evidence in the high-profile Eugene Zapata murder trial in Madison, Wisconsin.

The couple's lawyers have already contacted Zapata's defence team, who are now sending their large file on the matter to Britain.

Zapata's estranged wife, flight instructor Jeanette Zapata, was 37 when she vanished on October 11 1976 after seeing her three children off to school. Her body has never been found.

Detectives suspected Zapata of involvement in her disappearance but did not charge him because of a lack of evidence.

Police decided to conduct new searches using cadaver dogs, a new investigative technique, when an old friend of Mrs Zapata contacted them about the case in 2004

Zapata, 68, was charged with first-degree murder last year after the dogs indicated they sniffed human remains in a small basement "crawl space" at the former family home in Madison and other properties linked to him.
Angiex911dsptchr
Monkey All Star

« Reply #1134 on: September 16, 2007, 06:26:57 PM »

This is similiar to a post by Muffy but a different newspaper

Madeleine: The vital witness who could help clear the McCann's name
Last updated at 22:53pm on 16th September 2007

A witness who could blow the police case apart was identified for the first time.

TV producer Jeremy Wilkins, on holiday in Praia da Luz with his partner and baby son, spoke to Gerry McCann during the hour when Madeleine went missing.

The cardiologist was on his way back to the resort's tapas restaurant after checking on his three children.
Mr Wilkins said he found Mr McCann calm and unflustered during a 15-minute conversation - which would be remarkable for a man supposedly involved in the death of his daughter.

The search for Madeleine continues

Mr Wilkins, 36, from North-west London, has repeatedly told police he is convinced of the McCanns' innocence.

A friend said: "He believes they are a decent family caught up in an unimaginable nightmare.

"He came back from holiday totally shell-shocked. He played tennis with Gerry the day before Madeleine disappeared."

• A Portuguese public prosecutor and a judge are currently ploughing through the 4,000-page police report on the case.

It could take them weeks or even months to decide if there is enough evidence to justify charging anyone.

If no decision is made within eight months, the McCanns would have their "arguido" suspect status revoked - unless the prosecutor applied to the judge for an extension.

There is a possibility that preliminary charges could be brought against the McCanns, who would then face the prospect of being ordered back to Portugal and held for for up to 12 months while the prosecutor undertook further inquiries and prepared the case.

In the meantime, the judge will rule this week on requests made by the prosecutor which could involve new police moves, including fresh searches or re-interviews of the McCanns.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=482157&in_page_id=1770
Angiex911dsptchr
Monkey All Star

« Reply #1135 on: September 16, 2007, 06:34:43 PM »

Monday 17 September.
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/t.....469329.ece

Kate and Gerry McCann send to US for help against evidence of sniffer dogsSteve Bird and David Brown in Praia da Luz
The parents of Madeleine McCann have contacted the lawyers of a man charged with murder who successfully challenged sniffer dog evidence. His lawyers claimed it was unreliable and persuaded a judge in the US to throw out prosecution claims that the dogs had detected the smell of a corpse.

Kate and Gerry McCann hope that the case could help them to prove their own innocence.

Two British sniffer dogs, one capable of detecting blood and human remains, were taken to Portugal in early August to help in the investigation. The dog picked up a “scent of death” on numerous items, including Mrs McCann’s clothes and her daughter’s favourite soft toy.

During police interviews the McCanns, both 39, were repeatedly shown a video of the animal “going crazy” when it approached their hired Renault Scenic car.

Madeleine McCann: the key questions
Why do detectives want Kate McCann's diaries and laptop?

Portuguese police believe that the couple may have killed their child accidentally and then disposed of the body using a car they hired 25 days later. Although the McCanns do not know the full details of the Portuguese prosecutor’s case against them, they are concerned that it may rest on the dog’s reaction.

Now their lawyers have requested the case files from the ongoing murder trial of Eugene Zapata in Madison, Wisconsin. His estranged wife, Jeanette, a 37-year-old flight instructor, vanished in October 1976 after taking her children to school. Her body has never been found.

Detectives suspected that Mr Zapata killed her but did not have enough evidence to go to court. Mr Zapata, 68, was charged with murder last year after sniffer dogs were brought in. They allegedly detected the scent of human remains in a basement at the former family home. But Dane County Judge Patrick Fiedler ruled that the evidence was inadmissible, saying that the dogs were unreliable. He quoted analysis of the three dogs’ performance record which showed that they were, respectively, incorrect 78 per cent, 71 per cent and 62 per cent of the time.

The judge told the court: “The state has failed to convince me that it’s any more reliable than the flip of a coin.” The jury is considering its verdict.

A source close to the McCanns’ legal team said: “The court papers, giving the legal submissions, are on their way to the McCann team for consideration. At the moment there are no formal charges and therefore there is no formal allegation against which the McCann team can work. We are having to work a little bit in the dark.

“But given that we understand the central plank of what the police are alleging involves sniffer dogs – albeit British ones, which are said to be particularly good – this is important and relevant, and will be raised with the police and brought to the judge’s attention.”

British millionaires are being sought to fund the McCanns’ legal battle with the Portuguese authorities to clear their names. Sir Richard Branson has donated £100,000 to a fighting fund. A spokesman for the multi-billionaire said: “When the McCanns said under no circumstances would they touch the Find Madeleine Fund and mentioned they would sell their house, Richard felt he had to do something. He is a father and there is a missing child out there.”

Father Haynes Hubbard, the Anglican priest who became close friends with the McCanns when they stayed on in Praia da Luz, said yesterday: “That’s absolutely wonderful. If I had £100,000 I would give it to Kate and Gerry, too.”

Clarence Mitchell will be employed by one of the McCanns’ wealthy supporters to act as the couple’s spokesman. He will resign as head of the media monitoring unit of the Cabinet Office today and take up his new post tomorrow. A friend said he had kept in touch with the couple after handling the case while still working for the Government.

What could happen next

What action will the police take this week?
Portuguese detectives are due to arrive in Leicester to work with a British police team investigating Madeleine’s disappearance. It has been reported that Kate McCann could be interviewed again this week. A Portuguese judge must decide by Thursday whether to approve requests by Portuguese police to secure more evidence.

Who’s advising British police on the case?
Tony Connell, a member of the Crown Prosecution Service’s special casework unit, has been advising the “Gold Group” of senior detectives at Leicestershire Police, which is investigating the Madeleine case. Mr Connell led the review which led to the conviction of Damilola Taylor’s killers.

Could the McCanns be prosecuted in Britain?
It is possible to prosecute a British citizen for a murder or manslaughter abroad under the Offences Against the Person Act 1861. This was last done in 2005 when Christopher Newman was convicted at the Inner London Crown Court of murdering Georgina Eager in Dublin.

Can the public support Kate and Gerry McCann’s legal battle?
A fighting fund to help to pay their legal costs is expected to be announced within the next few days. A source close to the family told The Times: “It will be getting set up and formalised as a proper fund. It has to be meticulously thought through.”
Angiex911dsptchr
Monkey All Star

« Reply #1136 on: September 16, 2007, 06:45:42 PM »

Kate McCann flashes a rare smile after praying for Madeleine
Last updated at 23:22pm on 16th September 2007

For over four months, her facial expression has been one of constant grief and pain.

But Kate McCann has allowed herself an all too rare - but heartbreakingly slight - smile.

Mrs McCann experienced the brief moment of emotional relief whilst talking to friends outside church in her home village of Rothley, Leicestershire.

Despite the almost unbearable pressure they are under, the McCanns are determined to live their lives as normally as possible and yesterday they attended Mass for the first time since they came back to England.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=482136&in_page_id=1770&ico=Homepage&icl=TabModule&icc=picbox&ct=5

The couple held hands tightly as they walked the 200 yards from their front door to the Catholic Church of the Sacred Heart.

There was not enough room in the tiny brick-built church for 70-strong congregation, which spilled out of the door as its members said prayers for Madeleine's safe return.

After an hour-long service, the McCanns, who are both doctors aged 39, spent a few minutes chatting to friends outside the church before hurrying home with their two-year-old twins Amelie and Sean.

Afterwards Mr McCann said: "It was very comforting to be among friends and family praying for Madeleine today. We thank them for their continuing support."

The scenes of support came as the McCanns received one of their first pieces of good news since they were made official suspects nine days ago: they will not lose custody of the twins.

The couple had been terrified that British social workers - prompted by Portuguese allegations that the couple harmed four-year-old Madeleine - would take away their remaining children.

Madeleine: The search continues
Indeed, two social workers spent an hour with the McCanns on Thursday last week - during which time they asked the couple about their childcare techniques.

However, a spokesman for the family confirmed that following that visit, social services now do not consider the twins to be in danger.

She said: "The family pro-actively went to social services to make sure they were being seen as responsible parents. Social services have contacted the family since then and said it went very well."

Asked whether the children are now safe from being taken away, she said simply: "It is no longer a threat."

The development came as it was revealed that the McCanns have lost faith in the Portuguese police investigation - and are deeply involved in what is described as a 'pro-active' legal case against the allegations.

Despite the seriousness of the allegations against them, the McCanns have had no formal contact with Portuguese police since their return to Britain a week ago.

A source close to the family said: "They are struggling to get a daily dialogue with the Portuguese police.

"They can't get any clarification on what is going on and it is hugely frustrating for them.

"They really don't know what is going on over there and they feel the Portuguese police are playing a game with them.

"They are simply incredulous at what has happened and fear that the whole investigation has become political.

"They fear that while the police spend all their time pursuing them, no one is looking for their daughter."

On Friday the McCanns spent nearly seven hours at the London office of their lawyer Michael Caplan QC.

Gerry McCann was locked in similar legal discussions for most of Saturday.

The couple were said to be "really pleased" with their legal team.

A spokesman for the couple would not speculate on what legal manoeuvres the McCanns are considering. However, she did say: "There is work to be done putting together their legal case to get themselves into a strong a position as they can.

Madeleine McCann with her twin siblings

They are being very proactive. There may be different options for how the case may proceed. They will be working with their legal advisors to get in as strong a position as they can.

"There are a number of options being discussed as to how the investigation may continue: whether the Portuguese authorities come to the UK or whether some of the investigation is carried out by the UK authorities.

"There are lots of options on the table but there is no formal explanation yet as to the next step."

The spokeswoman also cast doubt on speculation that Leicestershire police are working alongside Portuguese detectives, saying: "We are in very close contact with Leicestershire police.

"We haven't heard anything to that effect yet."

A spokesman for the Leicestershire force said only: "If they require our assistance it will be considered".

• The McCanns received a rare piece of good news - they were told they will not lose custody of their two-tear-old twins.

The couple had been terrified that British social workers - prompted by Portuguese allegations that the couple harmed Madeleine - would take away Sean and Amelie.

Two social workers spent an hour with the McCanns last Thursday, during which they asked the couple about their childcare techniques.

A family spokesman confirmed that social services do not consider the twins to be in danger.

She said: "The family went to social services to make sure they were being seen as responsible parents. Social services have contacted the family since then and said it went very well."

Asked whether the children were safe from being taken away, she said: "It is no longer a threat".

Angiex911dsptchr
Monkey All Star

« Reply #1137 on: September 16, 2007, 06:49:49 PM »

Gerry's Blog/Diary
Day 136 - 16/09/2007

http://www.findmadeleine.com/

Sorry for not updating the blog for such a long time but obviously we have been incredibly busy during this last tumultuous week. The entries will probably be every few days or if there is a major development in the future.

Thank you for all the cards, letters, flowers, gifts and messages of support. It means so much to us to know that so many people have not been deceived by rumour, innuendo and wild speculation. Most importantly the search for Madeleine carries on and our family have not given up hope of finding her.

Live in Rothley is still a long way off normal with the large media presence but it is beginning to settle down somewhat. We all managed to go to mass today and it was comforting to pray for Madeleine with friends and family in our local church.
Angiex911dsptchr
Monkey All Star

« Reply #1138 on: September 16, 2007, 06:54:36 PM »

This is sad     Sad

‘Inappropriate’ Maddy ribbons are taken down
by Gemma Hockey

HUNDREDS of ribbons of hope for missing Madeleine McCann have been removed from railings at the Town Church after calls from the public that they were no longer appropriate.
Public Services was contacted by people claiming support for the campaign to find the four-year-old was unsuitable following the announcement that her parents, Gerry and Kate, were official suspects in their daughter’s disappearance from Praia da Luz, Portugal, on 3 May.
Linda Garnham, founder of Aid Reaching Children, who organised the show of support, said she had agreed to remove the ribbons and letters left by islanders over the past few months.
‘We took them down the other day because the States asked us to,’ she said.
‘The reason they gave is that this was a very sensitive time and a couple of people had asked why the ribbons and posters were still up, but we intended to take them down at some point anyway.
‘We were going to bring it to an end because they have taken the ribbons down in her hometown and they were starting to look a bit shabby,’ said Miss Garnham.
She said that the messages had been seen by thousands of people.
‘We had them up in the summer when the cruise ships came in and everybody spotted them,’ she said.
Madeleine has been missing for 135 days and the funds donated to help find her have so far totalled more than £1m.
Miss Garnham said there were now other causes that needed the money.
‘I think the fund-raising side of it should be halted,’ she said.
Miss Garnham said her charity was not giving up hope that Madeleine would be found.
‘I felt horrible taking the ribbons and messages down because a couple of kids walked past and asked what I was doing taking them down because Madeleine still hasn’t been found,’ she said.
ARC raised £351 from a balloon release in June.
Miss Garnham said recent reports about the investigation had left doubts in people’s minds.
‘But I don’t think anybody believes the family had anything to do with it at all. We certainly don’t,’ she said.
‘As a charity we feel we need to keep hoping and praying that she was abducted and not murdered.’

Published 15/9/2007

URNSEY
Angiex911dsptchr
Monkey All Star

« Reply #1139 on: September 16, 2007, 07:00:24 PM »

Shocked

Police to quiz Maddie's mum's priest

Portuguese police reportedly want to question a priest to whom Kate McCann turned for assistance after the disappearance of her daughter Madeleine.

The Daily Mail reports that detectives will put pressure on Fr Jose Pacheco to break his Catholic vow of silence.

They have already spoken to him "informally" about the bond he developed with Madeleine’s parents in the days after she vanished.

Now they plan to question him in a bid to force him to reveal if Kate confessed to him she had killed her four-year-old daughter.

An assistant to the priest said he had a duty to God not to speak out.

Fr Pacheco met the McCanns the day after Madeleine vanished from their holiday apartment on 3 May. As the search for Madeleine continued the couple attended daily Masses at his church.

But when the finger of suspicion was pointed at the McCanns their relationship with the priest changed, according to locals. They did not say goodbye and handed the church keys to an Anglican priest.

SOURCE
Maddie's mum's confession (Daily Mail, 15/9/07)

LINKS (not necessarily endorsed by Church Resources)
Madeleine McCann (Wikipedia)
Bring Madeleine Home

ARCHIVE
Missing Madeleine's desk ready (CathNews, 31/8/07)
Pope prays for Madeleine (CathNews, 31/5/07)
Madeleine's parents seek miracle (CathNews, 24/5/07)
Fatima pilgrims pray for missing girl (CathNews, 14/5/07)

17 Sep 2007
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.