March 19, 2024, 04:04:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NEWS  (Read 5752 times)
BooMonkey
Monkey All Star Jr.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

« on: July 10, 2011, 11:47:01 AM »

I wrote our State Representative Anthony G. Forlini 24th District regarding getting Caylee's Law for Michigan, this was his response.

Dear ******:

Thank you for contacting me about the Caylee Anthony case in Florida. People are understandably concerned about the lack of consequences for a parent who fails to report the death or disappearance of a minor child.

Michigan does not have a clear cut statute requiring reporting of a death or disappearance. Fortunately, there are several legislative initiatives being taken to set a clear requirement.

Senate Bill 231, sponsored by Senator Schuitmaker proposes to amend the vital records provisions under Part 28 of the Public Health Code to prescribe misdemeanor and felony penalties for failing to inform a law enforcement agency, a funeral home, or a 9-1-1 operator f the discovery of a dead body under certain circumstances. The bill would create a misdemeanor offense if an individual discovered the body of a person he or she knew or had reason to know to be dead and failed to inform the aforementioned authorities that would be punishable by up to one year's imprisonment and/or a maximum fine of $1,000. If this act is committed with the intent purpose of concealing the fact or cause of death, the individual would be guilty of a felony punishable by up to five years' imprisonment and/or a maximum fine of $5,000.

Senate Bill 380 is tie-barred to Senate Bill 231 and was sponsored by Senator Hildenbrand. This bill would amend the Code of Criminal Procedure to add the felony proposed under Senate Bill 231 to the sentencing guidelines. The offense would be a Class E felony against public order with a statutory minimum penalty of five years' imprisonment. (Senate Fiscal Agency Bill Analysis)

Senate Bills 231 and 380 have passed in the Senate and have been referred to the House Judiciary Committee.

Rep. Thomas Hooker is in the process of drafting a bill that would make failure to report the death or disappearance of a minor within 48 hours a felony. He is still working out the details of sentencing guidelines.

These legislative efforts have my unqualified support. Children are our most precious resource. Passing laws that would require timely reporting of the death or disappearance of children would allow authorities to take the proper steps. Parents and guardians must be held accountable for cooperating with authorities in these unfortunate circumstances.

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts on this important issue. It is a privilege to serve as your state representative. Please do not hesitate to contact me with any future questions or concerns.

Sincerely,

Anthony G. Forlini

State Representative

24th District

Edit to change subject line to NEWS
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 05:59:47 PM by MuffyBee » Logged

"but before I can live with other folks I've got to live with myself.  The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience." -Atticus Finch
BooMonkey
Monkey All Star Jr.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 09:07:34 PM »

On July 17, Casey Anthony will walk out of jail a free woman. A jury found her not guilty of murdering her daughter Caylee. Anthony was only convicted on four counts of lying to police--a verdict many people find disturbing.

"Where is the justice? Are they saying it's ok for parents to lose their children and not be held accountable?" said Jaclyn Flynn, a parent of two children.

It took 31 days until police were notified that the 2-year-old was missing, a timeline Lansing parents say doesn't add up.

"If your child went missing for an hour or even 5 minutes, that should send any normal rational person into sheer panic, particularly a toddler," said Dave Rowland, a parent of three children.

"If my kids ever went missing I'd report it right away," said Flynn.

Now Michigan lawmakers are trying to make sure that happens in every case.

"It's my bill that is being drafted as we speak. That bill will say that if you have a small child under the age of 13, you must report that child missing. If you are a parent or guardian, to do anything different would be outrageous," said Sen. Rick Jones, (R) Grand Ledge.

And it would be considered a felony under the new measure. Another bill that passed in the state senate says dead bodies must be reported to authorities, or would result in a felony charge as well. Sen. Jones says he remembers lack of reports in his time as sheriff.

"We had it happen in Grand Ledge, where a woman died and allegedly a family member wrapped her up in cellophane, put her in a closet, and kept collecting checks," remembered Sen. Jones.

Parents at Hawk Island Park say reporting your child missing is instinctive, but they say some parents need guidance.

"First time parents need guidance to tell them what is right and what is wrong. Then they won't make made decisions, but conscious decisions," said CarNeice Washington, a parent of five children.

Lawmakers hope the bill to be intorduced this month will ultimately keep the children in Michigan safe.

http://www.wilx.com/news/headlines/Michigan_Responds_to_Caylee_Anthony_Case_125304553.html?ref=553

Thanks for the link Carpe Noctem!
Edit to change subject line to NEWS
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 06:00:41 PM by MuffyBee » Logged

"but before I can live with other folks I've got to live with myself.  The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience." -Atticus Finch
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 07:35:47 PM »

http://www.wsbt.com/news/fox17-caylees-law-michigan-lawmakers-responding-to-casey-anthony-trial-with-new-laws--20110711,0,6474522.story
Michigan Lawmakers Responding to Casey Anthony Trial with New Laws
July 12, 2011

Grand Rapids—
The verdict shocked nearly the entire country.  Casey Anthony, accused of killing her 2-year-old daughter Caylee, was found not guilty.

The case has sparked much outrage across the nation and now new proposed laws in Michigan.  Two bills are in the works responding to the fact that little Caylee Anthony was missing for a month before anyone reported the disappearance.
"I think that is a serious crime.  It should be a felony.  It's just outrageous you would let your little child go missing that long," Sen. Rick Jones, R-Grand Ledge.

It's that kind of outrage that has Senator Jones drafting what has become known as Caylee's law.  Jones' bill would make it a felony not to report a missing child within 24 hours of the disappearance. 
 ::snipping2::

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 05:58:35 AM »

http://www.livingstondaily.com/article/20110921/NEWS01/109210312/Fla-case-could-result-new-law?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Frontpage
Fla. case could result in new law
Sep 21, 2011
A bill based on a Florida mother's failure to report her child missing for 30 days would make it a felony in Michigan to fail to immediately report a child dead or
missing.

The legislation was introduced in late July following the acquittal of Casey Anthony, the Florida woman accused of murdering her 2-year-old daughter, Caylee Anthony.

Casey Anthony waited 30 days before reporting her daughter missing.

Those found guilty of violating the proposed Caylee Anthony's Law would face penalties of up to four years in prison, a fine up to $5,000, or both, for failure to immediately report a child dead or missing to police in Michigan.

The proposal, House Bill 4872, was co-sponsored by state Rep. Bill Rogers, R-Genoa Township.

~241~ "The Longer You Love,The Longer You Live,The Stronger You Feel,The More You Can Give."
~ Peter Frampton
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 06:29:50 PM »

http://www.freep.com/article/20110927/NEWS06/110927054/State-Senate-set-vote-bill-punish-parents-who-don-t-report-missing-kids-
State Senate set to vote on bill to parents who don't report missing kids immediately
5:28 PM, Sep. 27, 201
Michigan’s proposed felony law would impose a maximum sentence of two years in prison and a $5,000 fine against a parent or guardian who didn’t immediately report a missing child.
“Not reporting makes no sense at all,” said state Sen. Tory Rocca, R-Sterling Heights. “Because time is of the essence for police to find a child.”

The bill was passed unanimously by the Senate Judiciary Committee today and now goes to the full Senate for consideration.

~241~ "The Longer You Love,The Longer You Live,The Stronger You Feel,The More You Can Give."
~ Peter Frampton
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 11:43:01 AM »

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-ap-mi-cayleeslaw-michi,0,5131535.story
Mich. Senate OKs bill to report missing children
Associated Press

6:55 a.m. CDT, October 25, 2011
LANSING, Mich.—

Michigan is joining other states considering laws that require prompt reporting of missing children.

A bill approved Tuesday in the Michigan Senate by a 35-0 vote comes after the acquittal of Casey Anthony in the death of her daughter, Caylee, in Florida. The child was not reported as missing for about a month after her disappearance in 2008.

~ Peter Frampton
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012, 05:50:47 PM »

http://www.mlive.com/politics/index.ssf/2012/02/caylees_law_would_make_it_a_cr.html
Casey Anthony case leads to proposals called 'Caylee's Law' in Michigan to criminalize lying to police
Published: Wednesday, February 08, 2012, 5:03 PM     Updated: Wednesday, February 08, 2012, 5:07 PM

Michigan prosecutors asked lawmakers to craft the law, said the bills' sponsor, Rep. John Walsh, R-Livonia. More people have been willing to lie to police, and the law would give law enforcement one more tool to help fight crime, he said.

“It’s a level of disrespect for our police officers and our criminal justice system,” said Walsh. “This will send a very strong message that if you are going to speak to a police officer about a crime you’ve witnessed, you better tell the truth.”

Violating the law would be considered a high misdemeanor and could bring up to two years in jail.

~ Peter Frampton
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.