April 25, 2024, 02:28:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Postage Rates Are Increasing  (Read 4049 times)
LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« on: May 14, 2007, 08:14:55 PM »

Postage Rates Are Increasing

The cost of mailing a letter will go up as of today, May 14. The post office governing board agreed to accept the new 41-cent rate for first class mail recommended in February by the independent Postal Regulatory Commission.

I have a lot of 1 cent stamps left over from the last time the rates went up, so I can use those to supplement the 39 cent stamps I still have left.

I heard about the "forever stamp" that one can buy that will always be valid for mailing a letter no matter how much rates increase in the future. You'll be able to lock in that price forever.

So I was wondering how much a "forever stamp" would cost.  I thought it would cost more than 41 cents considering it would never be subject to a rate increase.

I went to http://www.usps.com/ to check it out. I always buy stamps online. I was amazed to find out the forever stamp costs 41 cents. I ordered six books of 20 self adhesive stamps.

I'm curious how the USPS will make money from now on. If everyone buys the forever stamp, rate increases will not apply - and I thought the USPS made money from increasing the cost of stamps.

Anyway, I wanted to let you know about a good deal.

Hope is everything. I see angels everywhere.
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007, 01:12:49 AM »

Yes I've been wondering how that's going to work too.  The only thing I can think of is that they will limit the timeframe in which they sell the "forever" stamps.  I need to check out their website.

Thanks Louise!
LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2007, 09:46:29 PM »

Dear Klaas,

You are amazing! It must be they are selling the Forever for a limited amount of time. I'll check the website and if I can't find the info, I'll call the Hollywood post office and wait for an hour to talk to a human. I'll keep you posted. Please let me know what you find.

With Love

GreatOwl
Monkey Junky

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2007, 11:52:18 PM »

Here is the explanation from the USPS website.

"The Forever stamp will also be available at many convenience and grocery stores this spring. Once prices change May 14, the Forever stamp will remain on sale at the 41-cent First-Class one-ounce letter price until the next price change. The Forever stamp will then be available at the new price."

Now I have heard some say that they would like to buy them now and not use them until prices for stamps increase.  This may work for a very small amount of us who use fewer than 100-200 stamps per year.  However, as an investment they will not even keep up with inflation or at best equal the inflation rate.  If you wish to invest money then put it in a bank account.

The advantage to the postal service seems to be that they will not have to change there screening procedures every time there is a postal rate increase.  I suspect there will be more automation taking place behind those postal walls.

I have so many different denominations of stamps on my desk I have very often just stuck them on envelopes even if they happen to be in excess of the current rate.  

The one thing that will and has changed is that there is now a limitation on thickness of an envolope as well as weight.  Look for more restrictions in the future which will still require extra postage on anything more than an ounce.

Just my take on it.

"May you have the hindsight to know where you've been,
 the foresight to know where you're going and
 the insight to know when you've gone too far."
LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2007, 12:53:29 AM »

Dear GreatOwl,

I've also read about the thickness of the envelope. That is so curious to me.  

Would you kindly interpret what this means? "The Forever stamp will remain on sale at the 41-cent First-class one-ounce letter price until the next price change. The Forever stamp will then be available at the new price."

Does that mean the price of the 41 cent Forever stamp will increase?  The selling point and lure of the current 41 cent stamp is that it will always be valid for mailing a letter no matter how much rates increase in the future. You'll be able to lock in that price forever. I'm confused.

However in relation to what other things cost, stamps are cheap. If I sent 14 letters per month at 42 cents each, it would cost $5.88 ... vs 14 at 39 cents which would be $5.46 - a difference of 42 cents per month.

PS: My cat told me her network told her that the Hollywood meices say hi to the meices in your area.

GreatOwl
Monkey Junky

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2007, 10:51:42 AM »

Quote from: "LouiseVargas"
Dear GreatOwl,

I've also read about the thickness of the envelope. That is so curious to me.  

Would you kindly interpret what this means? "The Forever stamp will remain on sale at the 41-cent First-class one-ounce letter price until the next price change. The Forever stamp will then be available at the new price."

Does that mean the price of the 41 cent Forever stamp will increase?  The selling point and lure of the current 41 cent stamp is that it will always be valid for mailing a letter no matter how much rates increase in the future. You'll be able to lock in that price forever. I'm confused.

However in relation to what other things cost, stamps are cheap. If I sent 14 letters per month at 42 cents each, it would cost $5.88 ... vs 14 at 39 cents which would be $5.46 - a difference of 42 cents per month.

PS: My cat told me her network told her that the Hollywood meices say hi to the meices in your area.

All the Forever Stamp does is help the USPS in not having to keep changing the numeral on the stamp.  It also saves them from continually having to print odd cent stamps in quantities.  When there was an increase of 3 cents they ran out of 3 cent stamps.  Now the increase is two cents.  They need to print up a hugh quantity of two cent stamps.  

When the price of mailing a letter raises again by one or more cents then the cost of the Forever Stamp will raise and the postal service will not have to reprint anything.

I will gladly convey the sentiments of your meices if only mine would show their tiny little pink noses.  For some strange reason they seem to be hiding from me.   Question

LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2007, 08:50:48 PM »

Hi Great Owl,

I can be dense sometimes and I appreciate your patience with me.

As I said, I read that the stamp will always be valid for mailing a letter no matter how much rates increase in the future. You'll be able to lock in that price forever.  How could they say that if it weren't true?

Assuming the above is untrue, your explanation is very good. The Forever Stamp with the Liberty Bell has no price on it. I thought that was a little weird when I saw it on the Internet. After what you wrote, it makes sense that they won't have to print new stamps at each rate increase, even though the rate goes up. Now I have a headache. Does that mean the only 41 cent stamps we can purchase are the Liberty stamps? No more fancy stamps?

Anyway, lets change the subject to meices. Great Owl, your meices are afraid of you, that's why they don't show you their little pink noses. They think you will eat them. My meices run around outside, as I have cats inside who would kill them for sport.

GreatOwl
Monkey Junky

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2007, 10:20:52 PM »

I would think they will still print the fancy stamps at 41 cents but just not in as great a quantity as before.  I guess I don't pay much attention to how a stamp looks as long as my letter gets to where it is going.  Laughing

I found one!!!!!!!!!

It likes to play hide and seek.  It hides and I seek.    Very Happy

LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2007, 01:01:08 AM »

Is that a meise standing upright?

LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2007, 08:52:16 PM »

Maybe it was an owl standing up.

GreatOwl
Monkey Junky

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2007, 08:13:51 AM »

Quote from: "LouiseVargas"
Maybe it was an owl standing up.

yup, I don't know why these little critters don't like being swung by their tails.   It is fun.

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.