March 28, 2024, 02:10:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NEWS  (Read 5373 times)
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« on: July 13, 2011, 09:12:58 PM »

http://www.semissourian.com/story/1743730.html
Area legislator vows to file Caylee's Law in Missouri
July 13, 2011

DEXTER, Mo. -- If Rep. Billy Pat Wright has his way, Caylee's Law will become part of Missouri statues during the next legislative session.
 ::snipping2::
"The law would make it a felony for a person to delay reporting a child missing for longer than 12 hours following the child's disappearance," said Wright, R-Dexter.
"I've had a number of constituents email me with an interest in having Missouri adopt this law. And so, I've notified all Missouri House representatives as well as members of the Missouri Senate that we need to be putting Caylee's Law into the books in the state of Missouri," Wright said.

"I've received nothing but support so far, and we're really going to push this to become a reality."

The initial steps in making Caylee's Law a reality in Missouri call for members of the House Research Committee to sort through the wording and provisions of such a statute.

There will be many details to work out to make the bill into law. One of the primary focuses will involve the age limit when referring to "children."

"We are thinking that an appropriate age when limiting a parent or guardian to report a child missing would be from birth to eight years old," Wright said.

Wright and his potential co-sponsors, along with the House Research Committee, will be looking at designating those age limits and perhaps designing the law to include an extended limit on hours to notify authorities for children in graduating age groups into the early teen years.

"There's got to be some distinction between when one should report a two-year-old missing as opposed to a 14-year-old missing," he said.

The bill will be discussed later this week as representatives gather for a meeting in the state's capitol on Thursday.

Wright is currently the sole sponsor of the bill to generate the passage of Caylee's Law in Missouri. Co-sponsors of the bill will be sought as the bill is pre-filed in December.

In the meantime, the House Research Committee, upon Wright's recommendation, will begin drafting legal information necessary to send the bill to the legislature in the coming session.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 06:47:45 PM by MuffyBee » Logged

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
SunnyinTX
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 04:47:43 PM »

Dear XXXXXX:
I am writing this letter in response to your email concerning Caylee's Law.

I know that Rep. Brent Lassiter and others have already requested that legislation be drafted for the 2012 legislative session. We cannot have legislation written until December but I expect this to be a major issue for the upcoming legislative session in January. I will give this bill my full endorsement and support when it is presented on the House floor next year.

Respectfully,
Tim Meadows
State Representative
101st District

Rest in Peace Caylee
Natalee, We will never forget.
Zahra, run with the Angels

PUT ON YOUR BIG GIRL PANTIES AND GET OVER IT!  It's not about you or me.....It's about the Missing and the Murdered
SunnyinTX
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 06:25:41 PM »

Holy Moley...I just got a call from one of our State Representatives, Russ Carnahan. when I saw the 202 number and the caller was U. S. Capitol, I thought oh crap, who's foot have I stepped on now!  However, Mr. Carnahan said he wanted to call personally to let me know that MO would be introducing Caylee's Law in the next session.   Nice ending to the week!!

Rest in Peace Caylee

PUT ON YOUR BIG GIRL PANTIES AND GET OVER IT!  It's not about you or me.....It's about the Missing and the Murdered
SunnyinTX
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 12:26:52 PM »

Holy Moley...I just got a call from one of our State Representatives, Russ Carnahan. when I saw the 202 number and the caller was U. S. Capitol, I thought oh crap, who's foot have I stepped on now!  However, Mr. Carnahan said he wanted to call personally to let me know that MO would be introducing Caylee's Law in the next session.   Nice ending to the week!!

I got a follow up letter from Russ Carnahan (Senior Minority Whip)

He assured me there are many representatives talking about the many emails and letters received re: Caylee's Law at the House of Representatives. Please contact your State Representatives urging them to vote for Caylee's Law for your state.

Rest in Peace Caylee

SunnyinTX
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 12:30:01 PM »

August 1, 2011
Dear Mrs XXXXXX,

Thank you for contacting me regarding the tragic death of Caylee Anthony.  I appreciate hearing from you and welcome the opportunity to respond.

As you know, jurors in the criminal trial of Casey Anthony, Caylee's mother, announced on July 5, 2011, that they had found Ms. Anthony not guilty of Caylee's murder.  Ms. Anthony was also acquitted of manslaughter and child abuse charges, though she was found guilty of lying to law enforcement officers. 

In the wake of the decision, many have expressed support for "Caylee's Law," which would make it a felony for a parent not to report a dead or missing child to law enforcement authorities.  Advocates of the proposed law believe it will ensure that local police know as soon as possible about any missing child.  I am aware that several state legislatures are considering state versions of "Caylee's Law," and I would urge you to contact your Missouri state Senator or Representative to make your views known. Should the United States Senate consider a federal version of "Caylee's Law," I will be sure to keep your views in mind.

You may be interested to know that I have supported other legislation to protect children from those who would do them harm.  In 2008, shortly after I came to the Senate, I helped pass the PROTECT Our Children Act (Public Law 110-401).  This legislation requires the Attorney General to create and implement a National Strategy for Child Exploitation and Prevention, establish a National Internet Crimes Against Children Task Force, and create an Internet database for crimes against children.  As a former prosecutor, and as a mother, I know how important it is that we punish criminals who have harmed innocent children. I will continue to pursue measures to keep our children safe.

Again, thank you for contacting me. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future if I can be of further assistance to you on this or any other issue.

Sincerely,
Claire McCaskill

Rest in Peace Caylee

trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 02:59:46 PM »

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/political-fix/casey-anthony-trial-inspires-legislation-in-illinois-and-missouri/article_b144afce-4e8c-11e1-8f22-001a4bcf6878.html
Casey Anthony trial inspires legislation in Illinois and Missour
Posted: Friday, February 3, 2012 10:57 am |

Illinois and Missouri joined states including Florida, New York, Oklahoma and West Virginia in pushing legislation that would result in criminal charges if parents did not report missing children within a 24-hour deadline.

Illinois state Rep. Jack Franks, D-Marengo, has filed legislation proposing that parents or legal guardians failing to report a child under the age of 13 missing within a 24-hour period will be charged with a class 4 felony, facing one to three years in prison and fines up to $25,000.

Missouri state Rep. Billy Pat Wright, R-Dexter, filed legislation early this year that would charge parents failing to report a missing child within 24 hours with a Class A misdemeanor, facing up to one year in jail and up to $1000 in fines.

"Protecting children is one of the most important things we can do as legislators," Franks said.

Franks said his office received a significant number of calls last summer during the Anthony murder trial, which moved him to file the legislation in August.

Franks said his office is fixing language of the bill to address concerns that the legislation doesn't account for, like misunderstandings, for example, "if a child went off to camp for a month" and there was some explainable reason the parent didn't know. He will be discussing the bill in committee next week.

Currently, only one state has passed a legal 24-hour deadline on parents who are reporting a missing child. New Jersey passed legislation almost identical to Franks' proposed legislation early this year.

The Illinois bill is HB3804 and the Missouri bill is HB1167.

~241~ "The Longer You Love,The Longer You Live,The Stronger You Feel,The More You Can Give."
~ Peter Frampton
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2012, 08:38:56 AM »

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/sns-mct-brief-caylees-law-gains-momentum-in-illinois-20120503,0,1753194.story
BRIEF: Caylee's Law gains momentum in Illinois Legislature
May 3, 2012

Illinois lawmakers are moving forward with legislation that would criminalize parents who fail to report their child missing within 24 hours.
The House Criminal Law committee today passed "Caylee's Law" legislation that would make failing to report a child under 13 missing within a 24-hour timeframe a Class 4 felony for parents or guardians. Under the measure, children two and under must be reported missing within an hour of their parent or guardian learning of their disappearance.
States across the country have adopted similar Caylee's Law legislation. There is similar bill in the Missouri House, but it hasn't made progress this session. The Missouri bill is HB1167.

The Illinois measure, SB2537, passed unanimously and will be sent to the House floor for debate.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.