March 28, 2024, 04:50:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Making 12 million illegals legal  (Read 3855 times)
BTgirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« on: May 15, 2007, 06:33:49 PM »

I'm listening to the news and they're saying there is a good chance that a compromise measure will be passed that will allow all 12 million illegals in this country to become citizens.

IMO, that is nothing but a bunch of crap!!!!! People will be rewarded for breaking the law, and it will encourage 12 million more illegals to race here for the same beneftits. Grrrrrrrr..............................

I Stand With The Girl
mrs. red
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2007, 10:00:44 PM »

I have decided that I am going to forgo my actual hertitage and become an illegal...

that way school, medical bills, everything will be free....

I am all for legal immigration but this illegal stuff sucks.... not only that but we are the only country that allows that garbage... try moving to Mexico and getting from them everything we give away....

To accomplish great things we must not only act but also dream, not only plan but also believe.
Author: Anatole
LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2007, 10:22:00 PM »

Hi BT,

I read your post last night and thought about it all day today because you deserve a thoughtful reply. As I've said, living in California, I have never had a problem with illegals from south of the border.

I think there are bad apples in every group of people. We all know that. So, we should realize only a small amount of illegal Hispanics are causing trouble. Less so in California as opposed to the other states.

What about the below? Is this now null and void?

Engraved on a bronze plaque and mounted inside the Statue of Liberty in 1903, is "The New Colossus," a sonnet by Emma Lazarus (1849-1887), written in 1883.

The New Colossus
Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.
"Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

—Emma Lazarus, 1883

The significance of the poem title and the first two lines refer to the Colossus of Rhodes, one of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World. The poem talks about the millions of immigrants who came to the United States (many of them through Ellis Island at the port of New York) and the identity of the United States as a declared immigrant nation.

When I got home today, I heard on FOX that the border patrols have made a dent in preventing the migrant workers from crossing the border. The next sentence was from the California farmers who say they no longer have the workers to harvest the fields. Cherries, strawberries are rotting on the vine. There is no one to pick the lettuce, celery, tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, etc.

I remember my mother saying, "Eat your dinner, there are starving children in India." It's true, many people have nothing to eat. We have lots of food in CA that is rotting due to no farmworkers.

You should know that the best produce of California is exported to other states. I was stunned to see the produce in the supermarkets in Rochester, NY. Everything had a little sticker saying "made in California."

I cannot reconcile this in my mind that we have the food to export but "they" would rather let it rot than let migrants pick it.

For me personally, I don't care what the price is. I am only one person and if I want a peach that cost $5, I'll pay it. I don't eat that much overall. For those of you who live east of California and have families to feed, you will be paying much more at the grocery store.

Does the price of groceries compare in any way with health care given to illegals?

Hope is everything. I see angels everywhere.
BTgirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2007, 11:04:12 PM »

Hi Louise,

I appreciate what you're saying, and I also sympathize with the plight of the folks who cannot get their crops harvested. I think, though, that I probably see a different face on illegal immigration than you see, simply because of my job.

Head Start is a federally-funded program that is income-based, so we have to have proof of income from all applicants. One of my jobs is to check the applications to make sure we aren't letting people lie to us. Unfortunately, the people who lie to us the most are the illegal immigrants in our area. Dalton, Georgia is a huge mecca for illegals because of the carpet mills. The carpet mill owners like to work them for less than they would have to pay legal workers, so they encourage them to come there. When I look at the applications for the children of illegal workers, it really gets to me.

The illegal people in our area seem to feel that they have a God-given right to be here, that the American government owes them something, and that they are going to get everything they can. Quite often the parents don't pay taxes, but they have a child every year and insist on getting every form of public assistance they can because the children born in the US are citizens. I can't tell you how many applications I've seen for US born children of illegal immigrants who are getting Medicaid, WIC, Food Stamps, etc., even though their parents admit that they work for cash and don't pay a penny in taxes.

In addition to this, the illegals in our area bring in a great deal of crime. When I was on federal grand jury duty for 18 months, a disproportionate number of our cases were concerning illegals who had transported large amounts of methamphetamine from Mexico into Georgia, and then to Tennessee. I remember one of the prosecutors saying it was as if the Mexican border had been moved to Tennessee. In addition, the illegals have brought in an enormous amount of gang activity and violence with them.

Just Mrs. Red says, I have no problem with legal immigration. I know how complicated that process is because my husband is from another country, and it took many years for him to become a US citizen. The thing is that legal immigration (when it's enforced) limits the number of people entering the country each year, so it's possible for the US to absorb the influx with no problem. With illegal immigrants, however, they flood into the country in uncontrolled numbers and overwhelm the various state and local systems. School systems, hospitals, etc. are going broke trying to care for people who often contribute nothing to those systems, but use them to the greatest extent possible. In addition, whole towns become inundated with very uneducated people who cannot read and write in their own language, much less learn how to do so in English. This means that even more money has to be spent providing translators pretty much everywhere, and that again comes from taxpayers.

I hope that I am a compassionate person, but I truly believe that if the US way of life ever diminishes, uncontrolled illegal immigration will be a prime cause of that downfall.

I Stand With The Girl
LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2007, 12:17:48 AM »

Dear BT,

Thank you for your post. Of course the best scenario would be if all people immigrated legally and we had the means to take care of them and integrate them into our society. I am truly on the fence with my emotions.

BT, you are an extra special compassionate person, thank you.

I certainly understand your position and point of view. We don't have to understand or agree to keep on loving each other.

We have two points of view and that is ok. I still love you and send smoochies. Somewhere between our posts, we are on the same path.

nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2007, 08:44:07 AM »

BT-

I applaud your post and I do agree. You presented the mammoth issues faced here for our country's infrastructure is based upon a capitalist model even within healthcare and education. Taxes drive the ability to provide those and many other services. The only alternative here if our borders continue to be flooded in this way, is for all of us to accept tax increases to pay the price for those illegals who refuse to pay taxes.

Bigger picture Louise, is that our social security system will surely bankrupt sooner, might not matter for you but it will for me and I resent it. Soon the hispanic vote might be the largest driver in our elections as well, this truly bothers me for I want the most educated voters making our electoral decisions. Mexico has simply thrust their problems into our back door and let down their own citizens, while risking our country's success and opportunity for the future.

I can love every human on this planet but living in the modern age we do, I can also make hard line decisions that Mexico isn't going to take care of their own until they are forced to with closed borders.

I continue to stand with the girl.
LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2007, 06:56:05 PM »

A bill / agreement was announced today. The details are so complicated that I can't summarize them for you.

WASHINGTON (May 17) - The White House and key senators in both parties announced agreement Thursday on an immigration  overhaul that would grant quick legal status to millions of illegal immigrants already in the US It would also fortify the border.

I listen (rather than watch) to FOX news all day, while I'm on the computer. My impression from the pundits is that this is clearly amnesty, although the government says it isn't. They will NOT be deported or rounded up. They are here.

As usual, I feel it is too late. The government ignored this problem for too many years and now it is out of hand. When I was 12 (1956), living in a small town east of Pasadena, there were illegal Mexican boys and girls in school. That was 51 years ago.

Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2007, 02:45:14 AM »

Being self employed, I have to provide my own insurance and the premiums are $650 a month.  After I pay the premium, I can't afford the deductibles to actually use it!  I pay taxes out the wazoo not having any dependents, too.  I have been paying taxes since I was 14 years old and yet there are no benefits for me.  I have never collected so much as an unemployment check.

So I find this just a little disturbing considering I will have to really do without things to pay my taxes:

This is amazing!!  Here is the link:  http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/thomas

Hope Fund Act of 2007 (Introduced in House)

HR 1999 IH

110th CONGRESS

1st Session

H. R. 1999

To authorize appropriations for assistance for the National Council of La Raza and the Raza Development Fund.

IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES

April 23, 2007
Mr. HINOJOSA (for himself and Mr. RENZI) introduced the following bill; which was referred to the Committee on Financial Services

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A BILL

To authorize appropriations for assistance for the National Council of La Raza and the Raza Development Fund.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,

SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.

This Act may be cited as the `Hope Fund Act of 2007'.

SEC. 2. ASSISTANCE FOR NATIONAL COUNCIL OF LA RAZA AND RAZA DEVELOPMENT FUND.

(a) Use- The Secretary of Housing and Urban Development shall, to the extent amounts are made available pursuant to subsection (b), make a grant to the National Council of La Raza for the purpose of providing technical and financial assistance to local non-profit organizations to undertake community development and affordable housing projects and programs serving low- and moderate-income households, particularly through organizations located in neighborhoods with substantial populations of income-disadvantaged households of Hispanic origin. Assistance provided by the Secretary under this section may be used by the National Council of La Raza or the Raza Development Fund to--

(1) provide technical and financial assistance for site acquisition and development, construction financing, and short- and long-term financing for housing, community facilities, and economic development;

(2) leverage capital from private entities, including private financial institutions, insurance companies, and private philanthropic organizations;

(3) provide technical assistance, training, support, and advice to develop the management, financial, and administrative capabilities of housing development organizations serving low-income households, including Hispanic households; and

(4) conduct such other activities as may be determined by the Secretary and the National Council of La Raza.

(b) Authorization of Appropriations- There is authorized to be appropriated for grants under this section--

(1) $5,000,000 for fiscal year 2008; and

(2) $10,000,000 for each fiscal year thereafter.

George Taplin
Director, Virginia Chapter
Minuteman Civil Defense Corps
tapling@virginiamm.org

Have we surrendered some kind of war to Mexico?  Surely this will NOT pass!  I find this very disturbing.  Why do we owe these people anything?  This is going to create very negative backlash and resentment.  I hope this is some kind of hoax or joke and not true.

Not a good idea, IN MY OPINION.

PERSONA NON GRATA

All posts reflect my opinion only and are not shared by all forum members nor intended as statement of facts.  I am doing the best I can with the information available.

Murder & Crime on Aruba Summary http://tinyurl.com/2nus7c
LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2007, 09:10:14 PM »

Anna,

Very interesting post. I love your avatar.

I sympathize with you over health insurance premiums. I retired from the working world in 1998 when I left my last job. I had 18 months of COBRA coverage, for which I paid a monthly premium which was not exorbitant. After that I sought an individual policy with Blue Cross. I was rejected for my preexisting conditions. Blue Cross recommended that I apply for high risk insurance. The premium was about $1200 per month. Then I read about HIPAA coverage. The only qualification for HIPAA is that the COBRA benefits must be exhausted.

"For those who are exhausting COBRA programs or are losing group health coverage with no employer continuation offering, HIPAA regulations allow you to purchase guaranteed-issue health coverage."

So I got a Blue Cross policy via the HIPAA law. It costs me $821 per month. I'm in the same boat as you are via after paying the premium,I can't afford the deductibles. I tried to calculate what my monthly meds would cost without insurance and my pharmacist said I'd be paying a lot more than $821 per month.  But overall, I cannot pay my copay. I feel like I'm on a "merry go round. "

I need a visit to the ophthalmologist (my vision is going downhill), to an ENT (my hearing is very poor - I'm always saying "what?") and to the gastroenteroligist (I have acid reflux which is getting worse).  The eye doc will prescribe new glasses which I cannot afford. The ENT will suggest a hearing aid that will cost $5K. The GI will recommend more tests.

Oh well.

With love.

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.