April 23, 2024, 03:26:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gossiping At Work?  (Read 3727 times)
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« on: May 22, 2007, 11:38:41 AM »

I regret the ad on the front of this video but I think it represents something worthy of debate.

http://video.aol.com/video/being-fired-for-gossiping/1911368

I continue to stand with the girl.
Artcolley
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2007, 02:18:40 PM »

Quote from: "nonesuche"
I regret the ad on the front of this video but I think it represents something worthy of debate.

http://video.aol.com/video/being-fired-for-gossiping/1911368

Hmm. I think they should NOT have been fired.
This is just more chipping away at our freedoms. I shudder to think what is next.
I guess we are being "primed" for when we will have absolutely NONE of the rights guaranteed us by our forefathers.
Sad, sorry state our country is in right now on many levels.

There are other legal remedies to handle gossip if it does, indeed, injure one's standing in the community. THIS is NOT the way to handle it.

I am apalled, but not a bit surprised. Nothing surprises me anymore.
2NJSons_Mom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2007, 07:24:59 PM »

I'd seen this story & read about it.  Funny, while reading this thread, have Jeopardy on....question mentioned something that could be gossip as mentioned in a Marvin Gaye tune....What is grapevine?  Talk about coincidence.

Anyway, who's monitoring the town council, manager, police force, etc.?  (I'm sure they've not gossiped ever)  Morale?....I once worked for a President of a private insurance consulting firm.  2 or 3 times a week he'd be out to lunch with the lovely, younger VP of Finance.  We were expected to lie to clients, spouses, bill collectors....after a while it got old, and we'd say out to lunch, and you can imagine how many times the caller would remark about the length of the lunch, especially if it was nearing 5PM....we never really knew whether their relantionship was more than business, but the behavior was distracting, disturbing and did not promote a stable business environment.  The account reps, mature & honorable, thought it was an embarrassment.  Not saying it's right to comment about others, but when does a comment, complimentary or otherwise, become gossip... Rolling Eyes

R.I.P Dear 2NJ - say hi to Peaches for us!

I expect a miracle _Peaches ~ ~ May She Rest In Peace.

SOMEONE KNOWS THE TRUTH  

None of us here just fell off the turnip truck. - Magnolia
mrs. red
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2007, 11:52:31 AM »

I agree with Art... we are only being primed for the taking of what is left of freedom of speech...

already, IMO unless you are one of the "special" groups... you aren't allowed to say anything...

one example... as much as I disgree with don imus's statements....

unfortunately, he had the right to say them... and we had the right to change the channel....

I quite frankly NEVER listened to him, Howard Stern or anyone else that makes that kind of statement....

in fact I keep wondering why as a hetrosexual, God believing, subruban living  American that completely supports our troops and knows that 911 was caused by terrorists, not our Government... I can't sue Rosie O Donnell for offending me on a regular basis.. Rolling Eyes  Rolling Eyes

To accomplish great things we must not only act but also dream, not only plan but also believe.
Author: Anatole
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2007, 01:38:04 PM »

MRS I'd join you in suing Rosie  Laughing

I found it all interesting for this would never have happened in a metro area, I suspect this town manager is a home boy? he's got connections for sure to make this one happen  Laughing

I really don't like office gossip but I've been on the receiving end of it before, yes back in the day when my first GOOD boss and I were very close. nothing inappropriate ever happened but when a senior architect started the rumor it had well it did humiliate and hurt me. Being older now I would have just outted him publicly over it and humiliated him !  Laughing

I think this case in this video is surely some home town cooking and I suspect with the national coverage those ladies will get their jobs back. It's concerning IF they truly did only discuss this at lunch and away from work as well? Who was listening?  Shocked

I continue to stand with the girl.
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2007, 06:52:36 PM »

I agree with Art-they shouldn't have been fired.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2007, 05:25:12 AM »

I have heard it all now. Fired for gossiping?
Rumors around the water-cooler have been a part of office life for many, many years. Is it kind, or even desirable behavior? Not really, but people do gossip, and we live in a culture where gossip has become entertainment.
Maybe a reprimand was in order if they contributed to damaging someone's reputation unfairly, but firing capable employees was worse than the offense they committed.

What's done in the dark will always come to light.
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.