April 16, 2024, 12:48:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NEWS  (Read 3705 times)
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« on: July 14, 2011, 07:56:02 PM »

Please post news and articles for Caylee's Law or similar laws for the State of South Carolina in this thread.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011, 10:41:13 AM »

The Post and Courier (Charleston, SC)

July 29, 2011 Friday

Missing kids focus of bill;
Parents would have 24 hours to report disappearance or face 5 years in prison

YVONNE WENGER, ywenger@postandcourier.com

COLUMBIA - Rep. Chip Limehouse and the prosecutor from the Susan Smith case are teaming up to help any South Carolina child who winds up in the same situation as Caylee Anthony.

Limehouse, R-Charleston, recruited new Rep. Tommy Pope, R-York, to work on legislation that could change the way cases of missing children are handled - and prosecuted - in the state.

Limehouse drafted a bill that would make it a felony with five years imprisonment for a parent or guardian who does not report a child younger than 15 missing within 24 hours. He plans to file the bill in advance of the Legislature's January return to session.The bill is intended to protect children, such as 2-year-old Caylee Anthony, whose mother Casey Anthony was acquitted of murder earlier this month in a Florida courtroom.

::snipping2::

Caylee was missing for more than a month before her mother reported her missing.

"Her daughter is dead and there are no plausible suspects," Limehouse said. "Most reasonable people have an idea of what happened there. But if law enforcement can't find the body or can't prove the individual is guilty, then here is a crime that they can prove. At least Casey Anthony would be serving some time for some offense."

Other states are introducing similar laws.

Laura Hudson, director of the South Carolina Crime Victims' Council, said state laws need to be updated and she's grateful when legislators are proactive.

"Twenty years ago you would never think you would have to do that," Hudson said. "You would assume a parent would report a missing child."

Pope said Limehouse's bill is a starting point for the debate. He wants to look at the state's current abuse and neglect statute to find shortcomings.

Pope prosecuted Smith for drowning her two sons in 1994. He is a former solicitor for the 16th Judicial Circuit who is serving his first term in the state House.

"If I commit a crime involving my children and don't have to call you for 30 days," a lot of evidence can disappear, Pope said. "What could we do to better protect our children?"

::snipping2::

http://www6.lexisnexis.com/publisher/EndUser?Action=UserDisplayFullDocument&orgId=574&topicId=100020825&docId=l:1467595815&start=6

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.