March 28, 2024, 04:58:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My newborn Cockatiels,  (Read 11946 times)
crazybabyborg
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2007, 04:31:51 AM »

Quote from: "Tibrogargan"
That worked for us once bb One of a pair of Peach Face Lovebirds let itself out of the cage and flew away.  It continued to come back as the second one was still in the cage, so we were able to hose it down with a heavy spray (not a jet of water) until its feathers were too wet and it could not fly away.  The reunion in the cage was very touching and they kissed and cooed for ages.

Dihannah Cockatiels are Aussie birds originally so maybe an Aussie name?  You say "she" so I guess they know that for sure, but you do not say what colour she is.
I would have thought you would name her something that fits with your Tinkerbelle avatar.  Maybe Belle.

TIBRO!!! I can't believe it! I was going to suggest "Tink" or "Tinkie" for the very same reason!  Laughing
The whole Tinkerbell concept is so positive and full of innocence and hope. Millions have children have "wished" for Tink and brought her back!

OK, Dihannah, Tibro and I agree!

Dihannah, if your bird is still around, there's hope! I'm keeping a great outcome in my prayers!
Dihannah1
Monkey All Star Jr.

God watch over our children and keep them safe.

« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2007, 02:19:11 PM »

LOL,  I never thought of using anything Tinkerbell related!  Though, I'm sure my family may balk at that, they'd think it corny,  but she is MY bird  Laughing

Tib,  I didn't know they originated from Australia!  I'd be curious to hear some of your Aussie name thoughts...

God has FINAL Judgement!<br />
Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2007, 09:58:27 PM »

Here you go, Dihannah

Nymphicus Hollandicus
The Normal or Native Cockatiel

The Normal or Native Cockatiel is the bird that started it all. The native Cockatiel or Nymphicus Hollandicus, as the scientists call it, is a true blue Aussie bird. Its range of habitat is over most of mainland Australia, excepting some coastal and subtropical areas, due to its preference for the drier plain lands of Australia's interior.

These birds in their native habitat are very nomadic and have been recorded to travel long distances in their quest for suitable water and food supplies adjacent to nesting areas. They are a strong, straight flier, this being an important fact to remember when designing aviaries, length being the most critical factor so as to provide ample flight exercise.

The adult male bird is a beautiful shade of dark grey with darker grey, almost black, under the tail. He has a white wing bar extending downwards from the shoulder across the wing coverts. His forehead, crest, sides of the head and bib are a bright yellow and he is topped off with a bright orange patch over the cheeks. All in all, a very handsome bird.

The female is much the same, only she lacks in the vivid colours of the male and supports a tail irregularity barred in yellow, also a stripe or barring on the underside of the wing (unable to be seen unless you either catch her and spread her wings or watch her while she is flying). Although she is not as ivid in colour, she is by no means a dull bird, as people describe them.

Immature birds appear as the female but change after their juvenile moult if they are male.

A good site for names :  www.babynamenetwork.com
- in middle column about half way down the page you can click on Aboriginal names. Plenty to choose from, but I notice one is "Tinka" meaning The Day. So you could call her Tinker for Tinkerbelle and tell the family it is an Aboriginal name Tinka.  Or just call her Iona ( I own her)  Laughing  Laughing

....And at night the wond’rous glory of the everlasting stars..  A.B (Banjo) Paterson
Dihannah1
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2007, 01:44:12 AM »

Tib,  thank you so much for all that info!  Interesting as always.

Ok, I announced to my family and friends her name was Tinkerbell.  Then the whole Paris Hilton thing broke and I was reminded of her dog's name.  For some reason, I just can't use that now.  So she still goes nameless right now, but I will come up with something special....   Wink

Thanks to you all for your help.  And if you think of anything for names, let me know.  Laughing

nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2007, 10:00:17 AM »

Dihannah? how about shortening it to Tink?  Wink

I continue to stand with the girl.
Dihannah1
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2007, 10:47:17 PM »

Quote from: "nonesuche"
Dihannah? how about shortening it to Tink?  Wink

That's a good point.  It's better than being nameless and easier to say!  Laughing   So Tink it is!

Pages: « 1 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.